Elite Pass Rush

Tigerpro2a

It would be cool if Rodney would recruit some elite pass rushers.  He does great at every other position but has continuously failed to find someone to get to the QB off the edge.

Man, if you think back, Tubs teams always had at least one guy that could really bring pressure off the edge. Maybe Terry Price was that good of a coach or maybe our recruiting was different. I feel like we’re signing “those guys” but that elite rusher just hasn’t been there for a few years

27 minutes ago, fredst said:

Man, if you think back, Tubs teams always had at least one guy that could really bring pressure off the edge. Maybe Terry Price was that good of a coach or maybe our recruiting was different. I feel like we’re signing “those guys” but that elite rusher just hasn’t been there for a few years

Terry will always be one of my favorite coaches for the consistently great DE's he produced.  They were critical to those incredible defenses.

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It would be cool if Rodney would recruit some elite pass rushers.  He does great at every other position but has continuously failed to find someone to get to the QB off the edge.

Is it recruiting or developing? I feel like we have landed the bodies....but they didn't develop. Just curious.

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Is it recruiting or developing? I feel like we have landed the bodies....but they didn't develop. Just curious.

Moultry and Jib are those dudes. But one is gone and the other one has the dreaded vague injury which usually means something else.

Hall, Handy, the other big dude from Mississippi... one of those guys might qualify.

Big Kat is out there and doesn't seem to be the next Dee Ford. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Moultry and Jib are those dudes. But one is gone and the other one has the dreaded vague injury which usually means something else.

Hall, Handy, the other big dude from Mississippi... one of those guys might qualify.

I will be shocked if Handy doesn't move inside.  Neither of the MS kids are pass rushers.

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I will be shocked if Handy doesn't move inside.  Neither of the MS kids are pass rushers.

I definitely could see Handy adding weight and moving inside, or if he stays outside being a Marlon Davidson like player. Great in run support, decent pressure here and there, but sporadic. 

On 9/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, oracle79 said:

I'll bet if you put Pappoe at the buck in obvious passing situations, he would put some heat on the QB.

If Pappoe was bigger absolutely.

He just doesn't have the size to be a weak side DE (which is what our "buck" position is) and take on OTs.

36 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

That was my impression, too, but both of them showed up under 270 and I think one of them came in under 260. Doesn't necessarily mean anything and I know it's a lot more likely that they'll add weight, but it did keep that rush end door open in my mind. 

38 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Don't forget Moore. He will move inside most likely as well.

14 hours ago, fredst said:

Maybe Terry Price was that good of a coach or maybe our recruiting was different. I feel like we’re signing “those guys” but that elite rusher just hasn’t been there for a few years

He still is. Look what he's doing at TAMU.

Auburn is #2 defense according to SP+ rankings! I think they’re doing okay.

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Auburn is #2 defense according to SP+ rankings! I think they’re doing okay.

Damn right. With a McClover/Groves/Coleman/Torbor I think it could maintain that ranking, even against really good SEC teams. Otherwise, little to complain about on that side of the ball.

The offenses we are playing are running more two step drops and throw negating a pass rush.  Opposing quarterbacks are throwing a lot on running plays when the dline has to play run also negating a good pass rush.

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Moultry and Big Kat are good players but you can look at their bodies and know they aren’t quick twitch (Dee Ford) types. They are pretty thick. What Steele has been great at though, is knowing when to send a safety in big moments. And they usually get there. 

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Moultry and Big Kat are good players but you can look at their bodies and know they aren’t quick twitch (Dee Ford) types. They are pretty thick. What Steele has been great at though, is knowing when to send a safety in big moments. And they usually get there. 

Agreed. I do like the look of this Derick Hall kid though. I think once he puts some muscle on and fills out, he will be that explosive edge rush we have been missing. Unfortunately, It may be 2 years minimum before he males a real impact either way.

Archived