Why are we so divided?

tbone4jc

5 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

After tonight, I am also concerned with our inexperience at LB. Their collective aggressiveness is taking them out of the play on screen passes. It got a bit ridiculous early on tonight.

That was on the d line too

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2019 at 9:30 AM, AUsince72 said:

I'd almost wager that 90%+ of the Auburn fans in the stands don't do message boards.

Message board posters are a different breed.

Yes, I know.......I'm one of you....we are not taken seriously outside of these little confines.

I truly do not take any of the things we all say on this forum as anything more than being like a group of friends (mostly friends) at a sports bar or tailgate etc, venting to each other.  None of the stuff (positive or negative) should be taken so seriously.  It's just our opinions regardless, as "facts" & statistics can always be manipulated to suit one's argument. 

I know there's an occassional parent on here, and perhaps a player or three might check it out due to curiosity but that would be ill-advised.  ...and that goes for ANY team and ANY message board.  If what us knuckleheads say on here actually affects any player then that's pretty sad.

We are not a majority.  We need to not take ourselves so seriously. 

Just my 2 rusty pennies...

War Eagle Y'all!

Well said.  Happy to provide the beer at the bar if you make it to Austin; my opinion will be the same.  

On 9/12/2019 at 8:55 PM, gr82be said:

Two of those coaches played for a NC and one won it. The other two brought us an undefeated season and we're both robbed of a NC. I say this because you aren't old enough to know anything about the misery of the Barfield years. He'd have made you look forward to tiddlywinks. 

You mean "The Dark Times"...in the stands during the "Coach who shall not be named" years.  A good man.  Had a daughter that was a knock-out.  She was a little sister.  I cannot believe some of the things she heard her Dad called in the middle of the student section.  I always felt sorry for her ballgame day.  But, her Dad was not a D1 coach....good hi school coach though.  Sound familiar?

As for Dabo figuring it out; he only had 2 bad years post Bowden at Clemson before he was consistently winning 10 games a year (he was 9-5 and 6-6 in 2009 and 10).  Beginning in 2011; he's won no less than 10 a year.  

15 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

After tonight, I am also concerned with our inexperience at LB. Their collective aggressiveness is taking them out of the play on screen passes. It got a bit ridiculous early on tonight.

Well what I saw was some inexperience there. CKS has to do a better job getting them in a good place. But we may have some of the best sheer talent at LB that we have had in a long time. I just wish we had DD’s knowledge out there with them . I’m ok with the D. Kent St. been practicing for this game for a while. Did you see how many little schools beat P5 teams yesterday. There is so much talent out there today and combine it with the portal and it a recipe for an upset or at least a good showing by the low rate teams. While players like WB might leave AU is doesn’t mean they are bad talent wise. The offense made a big stride even, Gus For once ,he followed up a long run with a fake handoff and the flea flicker to Stove I believe and caught everybody napping because they were waiting on Gus’s signature run up the middle. Progress, I’ll take it

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

To be fair, the difference between ACC and SECw is easily 2-3 games a year.

Yes and it’s a little unfair. Team like Clemson winds up without having much damage by injury through the year. Really they just have to play two decent opponent each year and that the play. With FSU down and even LU and VT they could win most of their games without starters.

8 hours ago, japantiger said:

You mean "The Dark Times"...in the stands during the "Coach who shall not be named" years.  A good man.  Had a daughter that was a knock-out.  She was a little sister.  I cannot believe some of the things she heard her Dad called in the middle of the student section.  I always felt sorry for her ballgame day.  But, her Dad was not a D1 coach....good hi school coach though.  Sound familiar?

As for Dabo figuring it out; he only had 2 bad years post Bowden at Clemson before he was consistently winning 10 games a year (he was 9-5 and 6-6 in 2009 and 10).  Beginning in 2011; he's won no less than 10 a year.  

Yes but Dabo has a much easier road to travel. He wouldn’t be winning as much if he was in the SEC west

11 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes but Dabo has a much easier road to travel. He wouldn’t be winning as much if he was in the SEC west

It's not really about Dabo's win total or how good he is relative to his schedule. It's about how quickly he got good and how he has consistently gotten better. Clemson keeps improving relative to themselves. It's also about how he is following up historic success on the field with historically good recruiting (by Clemson's standards, at least). 

And, at the very beginning of the season, before strength of schedule and attrition and any of that came into play, he coached circles around Gus. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's not really about Dabo's win total or how good he is relative to his schedule. It's about how quickly he got good and how he has consistently gotten better. Clemson keeps improving relative to themselves. It's also about how he is following up historic success on the field with historically good recruiting (by Clemson's standards, at least). 

And, at the very beginning of the season, before strength of schedule and attrition and any of that came into play, he coached circles around Gus. 

Absolutely. His hires! My did he not make the right choices or what? From his coaches to his players. Things like we missed Lamar Jackson he made sure he got Watson. He hired Morris we hired guys like lashlee and Lindsey. His d coord, he just made all the right plays in the same EXACT market we're in. He uses the same pitches, goes in the same area to get talent.....he's just been doing it better

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely. His hires! My did he not make the right choices or what? From his coaches to his players. Things like we missed Lamar Jackson he made sure he got Watson. He hired Morris we hired guys like lashlee and Lindsey. His d coord, he just made all the right plays in the same EXACT market we're in. He uses the same pitches, goes in the same area to get talent.....he's just been doing it better

I mean, his school is literally called Auburn With a Lake. SMH. 

12 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I DGAS but how can you say this with absolute fact? Too me, the way he recruits and the people on his staff, he would be battling it out with bama for the top spot year in and year out. And would most likely have a .500 record with them. He'd drop a game or two along the way sure but his teams would be as strong as any in the SEC year in and year out.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, his school is literally called Auburn With a Lake. SMH. 

Yes. I had always heard that but when I went to a game there, they played Florida State....It help me realize we don't have any excuses. Just like us

No matter the league he coaches in, Dabo damn sure didn't waste his program's success. He built off it and catapulted his program into the elite. That's what we were supposed to do. In 2015 we had been to TWO national title games in a 5 year span and we brought home a national championship. What did we turn that into? 1 division title with a bunch of hot seat seasons in between. How the hell did we not capitalize on having elite seasons? How did we blow this opportunity?

Clemson took our spot and has been kicking our ass in recruiting, on the field, and beating our rival in the biggest of games. They are who we were supposed to be 👎

On 9/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I DGAS but how can you say this with absolute fact? Too me, the way he recruits and the people on his staff, he would be battling it out with bama for the top spot year in and year out. And would most likely have a .500 record with them. He'd drop a game or two along the way sure but his teams would be as strong as any in the SEC year in and year out.

I agree 100% . But that’s what I said over here he might have as good a team as he has now and still only make it to the championship game every three years. Just in 2017 even Bama got beat and didn’t make it to the SEC and had to hope for a playoff spot. Right now with FSU falling and UL falling he doesn’t have much problem winning the conference. So he could lose a game and still make it to the playoff.

What I would say is this...I would hate to see Dabo at Bama. He has turned Clemson into a national power and may end up with one of the best recruiting classes ever. Remember when we looked down on Clemson?

Pepperidgefarm remembers 

On 9/16/2019 at 8:11 AM, McLoofus said:

Don’t get me wrong Dabo is a great coach as is saben . What I meant is when you play like our schedule this year we could beat Oregon, Texas Am, LSU, Florida, uat and Georgia and still

have to probably face Uga or FL again just to make the playoffs. Maybe we could make it even with one loss. Surely you can’t say Dabo has had or will have a schedule anywhere like that. I think if Dabo came to the SECW with his team he would be one of the top four in the secw. That’s not equal to being alone at the top of the ACC.

12 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Don’t get me wrong Dabo is a great coach as is saben . What I meant is when you play like our schedule this year we could beat Oregon, Texas Am, LSU, Florida, uat and Georgia and still

have to probably face Uga or FL again just to make the playoffs. Maybe we could make it even with one loss. Surely you can’t say Dabo has had or will have a schedule anywhere like that. I think if Dabo came to the SECW with his team he would be one of the top four in the secw. That’s not equal to being alone at the top of the ACC.

I think dabo would be top two in the SEC West and have the SEC East pretty much to himself.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You may consider this.

What if coach Dabo had started his career as a head coach in the sec west, do you believe he would have been as successful as he has been in a much weaker ACC? Do you think he would be recruiting like he is? Even though this is hypothetical  I just do not see him as anything more than a  Dan Mullen type at best if this were the scenario. 

Coach Dabo really just got over the hump when Deshaun Watson became his QB. He couldn't win big games, this "Clemsoning" became their catch phrase from the fans. 

Do I think CGM has deficiencies? Yes, the oline should be better, his RPO needs updating (slants over the middle would be great thank you very much), he is dedicated to his offensive coaching staff to a fault and his adjustments during the game needs improvement. But there are too many positives as to my believing he will get it right. 

I just think he sees clearly what needs to be done now. This Saturday is huge for me and my belief in CGM being able to go from good to great. War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

4 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

You may consider this.

What if coach Dabo had started his career as a head coach in the sec west, do you believe he would have been as successful as he has been in a much weaker ACC? Do you think he would be recruiting like he is? Even though this is hypothetical  I just do not see him as anything more than a  Dan Mullen type at best if this were the scenario. 

Coach Dabo really just got over the hump when Deshaun Watson became his QB. He couldn't win big games, this "Clemsoning" became their catch phrase from the fans. 

Do I think CGM has deficiencies? Yes, the oline should be better, his RPO needs updating (slants over the middle would be great thank you very much), he is dedicated to his offensive coaching staff to a fault and his adjustments during the game needs improvement. But there are too many positives as to my believing he will get it right. 

I just think he sees clearly what needs to be done now. This Saturday is huge for me and my belief in CGM being able to go from good to great. War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

It’s huge for all of us , just not you. But yes I am really excited about this game. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think dabo would be top two in the SEC West and have the SEC East pretty much to himself.

Well you know the old saying about opinions 😂 but we’re all entitled to one. I guess that’s a good thing for all of us on here.

In spirit of the Dabo discussion, there’s no question the path to championships is the SEC (especially the SEC West) is a more arduous journey than in the ACC. But I would pose this about Dabo, from a completely different perspective. I have served in the military and in a fortune 100 company. As many on this board have. I can listen to Dabo or Saban, and picture them as a Colonel, General, Sales VP, or CEO, and know that they would be just as successful in one of those roles as they are their coaching role. I cant say the same for our head coach. Their level of charisma is super high, and their ability to create a long term vision for their organizations is top notch. I like Gus and hope he has great success at AU this year and beyond. But he is not at the same level of the elite coaches in terms of charisma and vision. All in my humble opinion. 

11 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

What if coach Dabo had started his career as a head coach in the sec west, do you believe he would have been as successful as he has been in a much weaker ACC? Do you think he would be recruiting like he is?

At which school? He would have had (past tense because he's single-handedly made Clemson- Clemson- the hottest destination in the country) a much easier time recruiting players to LSU, TAMU or probably even Auburn. So yeah, the same guy who embarrassed Gus two years in a row at Clemson would probably embarrass Gus most years coaching at one of the better SEC West schools. And yeah, he could have been Hugh Freeze or Dan Mullen at the Mississippi schools and leveraged himself into a premiere gig as Mullen has.

19 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

In year 6, Dabo won 10 games. It was his 4th consecutive season winning 10 or more games (11 twice). He was 4-2 in bowl games. In year 7, he appeared in the national title game. Since then, he's won it twice against the greatest coach and dynasty in history and appeared in the playoffs in the other year. 

Gus went 18-9 with Jarrett Stidham in years 5 and 6. He went 1-1 in bowls and 1-2 in the postseason. He blew a 3 score lead to LSU, lost to Tennessee, and put up 117 yards of total offense against- wait for it- Dabo Swinney. 

I won't deprive you of your optimism about Gus but he is not even remotely in the same league as Dabo at this stage in their respective careers. 

I swear if Dabo never had that post-game moment after beating us in 2011 people would be drooling all over him for what he's done. He's stopped Bama from winning more championships and does it in every single way most AU fans who hang on to the creed and family/religious aspect of things like to see things being done.

Archived