Why are we so divided?

tbone4jc

22 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

May want to ask Antonio Brown.

So you think AB left because of fans? Lol. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most on message boards have very unrealistic expectations. This goes across all schools. I want Auburn football to succeed like anyone else, but Im going to be honest, Im not losing any sleep over it. Believe it or not, I do have a life and plenty to do outside of football. For many, that doesnt seem to be the case. They live it. As much as I enjoy football, if the season goes down the tubes, that just frees up my Saturdays. As far as the coach bashing, some are only here to do just that. That part will never change unless we go undefeated every year; I just look at those types as the low iq types. Anyone with any amount of intelligence would get bored with pushing that schtick over and over and over again. Saying something once is one thing, but on every thread practically everyday...youre just a moron.

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Good Lord people, it was a joke. The quote that was made by the poster:  

silly arguments and statements are going to hurt a Football Player's self esteem?

If you tell Antonio Brown he has to show up for practice, or be on time for a team meeting, or he will be fined; he gets his feelings hurt. That was my point, sorry I wasn’t more clear.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Good Lord people, it was a joke. The quote that was made by the poster:  

silly arguments and statements are going to hurt a Football Player's self esteem?

If you tell Antonio Brown he has to show up for practice, or be on time for a team meeting, or he will be fined; he gets his feelings hurt. That was my point, sorry I wasn’t more clear.

Gotcha bud. Wde

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

This is a tweet from Peter Michael Green and , to me , it hits the nail on the head....

It seems the Auburn fan base is pretty divided these days. That’s really sad, because we all have something very great in common - Auburn. Just so there is no confusion, if we’re picking sides—and it looks like we are, I’m on the side of those who believe in Auburn, and love it.

There is a huge following in this forum that is hyper critical of every minor or major misstep the coach makes, I mean really expound to the point where it becomes obnoxious. It overtakes every topic on the football, recruiting and even the basketball forums. 

Believe it or not my expectations are 10 wins or bust every season and yes I do believe CGM should have us in a better position than we are now but I also realize that these are 18, 19, 20 and 21 year old kids who play their guts out for this man, believe in him regardless of his short comings and I would rather be represented by this coach and win SEC championship and  National Championships as he has and be proud of the way our program is run. 

I am not calling out names or pointing fingers. If it fits you than it is what it is. There are so many more people that live Auburn and support the coach that expect to be winning 10+ games every season but can go about without the distasteful remarks being made about OUR HEAD FOOTBALL COACH!

I totally agree tbone. The Why We are so divided is pretty simple to me. THE INTERNET!!

Green even admits Gus has not lived up to his expectations and it sounds like he is implying that while these players are playing hard for Gus they would not play hard for anyone else should Auburn get another coach. Sounds like he is one being divisive.

Futhermore, Green is correct our players are playing hard and deserve a coach that can put them in championship contention.

Finally, I have not heard that many people make derogatory comments about Gus.  I have heard people Express their concern about the direction of the program.  So if we are divided because we express concern about the program than pretend everything is ok and sunshine pump then we are divided.

What a shallow tweet. "I choose the side that believes in Auburn and loves it." Unless we absolutely tank (it's a real possibility), I'm not on the fire Gus bandwagon, but that doesn't mean that those who want him gone don't believe in Auburn and love it.

I'm fed up with average and no improvements. So are others. We all believe in Auburn and love it, we just may not agree. The person who tweeted is part of the problem, not those who desire excellence.  

11 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

I totally agree tbone. The Why We are so divided is pretty simple to me. THE INTERNET!!

Agreed!

3a6oyc.jpg

I don't think we're that divided. Most seem to understand that Gus isn't the future and have been ready to pull the ejection cord for quite a while. There's plenty of statistics I could throw out but these conversations are getting repetitive. So I'll keep it simple.

SEC West Coaches Winning Percentage with current team

Nick Saban 88%

Ed Orgeron 74%

Jimbo Fisher 71%

Gus Malzahn 66%

Do we really want to settle for 4th best in our own division?

Add in the fact that our other rival, Georgia, has Kirby Smart with a 76%.

At best Gus is the 5th best coach in the conference and Mullen is at 79% with Florida and is likely above Gus as well.

So, do you want to have the 6th best coach in the conference who has already shown us what he's made of?

Gus is 17-13 at Auburn without transfer quarterbacks

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno. Maybe things like starting a new thread to "not call out names or point fingers" does more to divide than unite? Just a thought.

One side criticizes the coach. The other side tells those fans how terrible they are and how much they don't love Auburn. You tell me who's doing the dividing. 

Because I know you appreciate a rewrite...

We're so divided, and we just can't hide it.

Some of us are hard on Gus while some stand beside him.

We're so divided, and we just can't hide it

It's tough to win the West but by gosh we want to, we want to...

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

AB left because he found out the Patriots wanted him late last season and the Steelers refused to trade him. He then led everyone on an OJ in a white Bronco moment that spanned two teams and 8 months before landing where he wanted to begin with. 

I hope he blows that damn thing up but I'll believe it when I see it. #bitterSteeler lol 

Just now, gr82be said:

Because I know you appreciate a rewrite...

We're so divided, and we just can't hide it.

Some of us are hard on Gus while some stand beside him.

We're so divided, and we just can't hide it

It's tough to win the West but by gosh we want to, we want to...

You know how growing up sometimes one kid called another kid his or her best friend, even if the other kid didn't also view that relationship the same way?

YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I'd almost wager that 90%+ of the Auburn fans in the stands don't do message boards.

Message board posters are a different breed.

Yes, I know.......I'm one of you....we are not taken seriously outside of these little confines.

I truly do not take any of the things we all say on this forum as anything more than being like a group of friends (mostly friends) at a sports bar or tailgate etc, venting to each other.  None of the stuff (positive or negative) should be taken so seriously.  It's just our opinions regardless, as "facts" & statistics can always be manipulated to suit one's argument. 

I know there's an occassional parent on here, and perhaps a player or three might check it out due to curiosity but that would be ill-advised.  ...and that goes for ANY team and ANY message board.  If what us knuckleheads say on here actually affects any player then that's pretty sad.

We are not a majority.  We need to not take ourselves so seriously. 

Just my 2 rusty pennies...

War Eagle Y'all!

I think you really hit the nail on the head. This is how I have always thought about it. This was made for fans that just want to vent. I happen to be one. Of course there are always entertaining discussions happening. 

One thing I would add, I watch a lot of football games. I watch other SEC teams, I watch Big 12. I just love college football. I see crazy ridiculous play calls with every coach, but I don't have anything invested there so I just think "What in the world" instead of when our coach does it thinking " OMG the World is ending". I think we are in a vacuum and We love Auburn so much and just want to win so bad that we see all the bad but miss alot of the good. I go on other boards and often times I see the same melts for other teams. It's kind of like a new restaurant, if you go and have a positive experience you will tell a couple people how good it was if they happen to ask. If you have a negative experience then you will make it a point to tell everyone you know "Do Not Eat There It Is Horrible!"

30 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't think we're that divided. Most seem to understand that Gus isn't the future and have been ready to pull the ejection cord for quite a while. There's plenty of statistics I could throw out but these conversations are getting repetitive. So I'll keep it simple.

SEC West Coaches Winning Percentage with current team

Nick Saban 88%

Ed Orgeron 74%

Jimbo Fisher 71%

Gus Malzahn 66%

Do we really want to settle for 4th best in our own division?

Add in the fact that our other rival, Georgia, has Kirby Smart with a 76%.

At best Gus is the 5th best coach in the conference and Mullen is at 79% with Florida and is likely above Gus as well.

So, do you want to have the 6th best coach in the conference who has already shown us what he's made of?

Gus is 17-13 at Auburn without transfer quarterbacks

I would take Fisher out for now.  He has only been at A&M for one season and two games.  And same to Mullen.  He has proven so far at Florida he is not above Gus, even with his schedule in the East.  And a lot of people rely on transfer QB's.  Lincoln Riley has only ever had transfer QB's.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I would take Fisher out for now.  He has only been at A&M for one season and two games.  And same to Mullen.  He has proven so far at Florida he is not above Gus, even with his schedule in the East.  And a lot of people rely on transfer QB's.  Lincoln Riley has only ever had transfer QB's.

I agree. I think Gus' record is better as well if we were in the East. I know people will say we still lose to UGA and UT last year but the East has been down as a whole and we get pounded year in year out in the West. If Gus will stop dropping games like UT and LSU the past couple years, and MSST, I would be ok as long as he continues to grow as a coach. So torn being AU fan. 

Pretty simple for me...depending on the metrics used, we are about the 13th best CFB program of all time.  That's about where I expect us to be on average year in and out.  Gus has had a couple of good seasons but otherwise we have either been unranked or nearly unranked.  I like Gus, I hope he succeeds.  I'm scared to death of getting rid of him and rolling the dice on another coach.  

That said, I hate living in the Twitter generation.  While Gus justly deserves some criticism, I always try to keep in mind that it could be so much worse and be thankful.  Man, I'd hate to be Tennessee right now.  So many coaches that were hot names only a few years ago are either out of jobs or have lost their luster.    

Facts are we beat what appears to be a very good Oregon team and covered the spread in an ugly game against Tulane.  I think all of us would have taken that at the beginning of the year.  Recruiting is probably the best it's ever been.  Gus has some frustrating tendencies but he also doesn't get near enough credit for the things he's done right as a HC.  Criticism is fine, we are all here because we love talking football.  Personal attacks and drama get old.  

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I blame bird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well. Now we have finally found the culprit. Dang it Bird !!!

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know how growing up sometimes one kid called another kid his or her best friend, even if the other kid didn't also view that relationship the same way?

YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND

:beer2:

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I would take Fisher out for now.  He has only been at A&M for one season and two games.  And same to Mullen.  He has proven so far at Florida he is not above Gus, even with his schedule in the East.

I agree about Fisher as I'm one of the ones who believes he's a good starter but terrible finisher.  aTm will regret the hire within a few years IMO.

As for Mullen though (and I am NO fan of him....at ALL!), his Win % at MSU (not even counting UF) was 67% and he was 5-2 in bowl games.  Keeping in mind, that was at the mighty Mississippi State University......  Neither here nor there, I suppose. 

Archived