Why are we so divided?

tbone4jc

15 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I agree about Fisher as I'm one of the ones who believes he's a good starter but terrible finisher.  aTm will regret the hire within a few years IMO.

As for Mullen though (and I am NO fan of him....at ALL!), his Win % at MSU (not even counting UF) was 67% and he was 5-2 in bowl games.  Keeping in mind, that was at the mighty Mississippi State University......  Neither here nor there, I suppose. 

I felt like Mullen was a home run for UF but it will be interesting to see if he can hold that program together. Something just feels off so far.

That's what Gus earns and receives profuse praise for. I have no concerns about bad stuff going on behind closed doors. That feels good, especially after the last 2 years of Chizik's tenure. 

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I would take Fisher out for now.  He has only been at A&M for one season and two games.  And same to Mullen.  He has proven so far at Florida he is not above Gus, even with his schedule in the East.  And a lot of people rely on transfer QB's.  Lincoln Riley has only ever had transfer QB's.

Fisher's overall percentage is about the same (yeah I know the ACC blows). Mullen hasn't had as much time at Florida and honestly he has always given Gus a run for his money when he was at Moo State with much less resources.

Agreed about Lincoln Riley but even a casual fan can see the difference in offensive ability between Gus and Riley.

Plain and simple I think that LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama all have a better trajectory or future with their current teams than we do unfortunately.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I felt like Mullen was a home run for UF but it will be interesting to see if he can hold that program together. Something just feels off so far.

That's what Gus earns and receive profuse praise for. I have no concerns about bad stuff going on behind closed doors. That feels good, especially after the last 2 years of Chizik's tenure. 

Living down here, "relatively" close to Gainesville, UF .... well, pretty much all of the Big 3 in the state... constantly have behavior issues.  Even when they're good, they're constantly fighting the law or the rules. Free Shoes U, Thug U... Even during Spurrier's days at UF, the NCAA created at least one (maybe more) on field rules because of their roguish behavior during games (I know, a lot of y'all love that). Thank Jack Jackson, Reidell Anthony & Ike Hilliard for the rule that a player cannot manually remove their helmet on the field without a penalty.  ...not to be confused with the safety rule they have today where a player has to sit out when it accidentally comes off...

Bottom line, the beach-party, no-rules attitude doesn't just exist on the coast.  HCs are ALWAYS going to have to fight a battle with discipline in this state.

Note: I'm not speaking to the "other schools" (USF, UCF, etc) because I pay little attention to them. 

"Divided" is such an alarmist word. Go check the Arkansas or Tennessee boards if you want to see people eating each other. Many of our fans are angsty because the same problems of years past (platooning, nonsensical playcalling, lack of tempo, misusing players) are still present despite multiple reassurances by the head coach that they will be addressed. It's hard to see a path through the schedule without the team improving and fast. There will always be fans that are overly critical of Gus and fans whose lips are glued to his backside. The 90% in the middle just want to win some dadgum football games.  

I can only speak for the circle of AU fans closest to me but there really isn’t much debate among us.  We all feel Gus has run his course. Even on this board it seems that is the majority opinion.  I still get up on Saturday, put on my gear, touch my War Eagle picture above my bed, tip my hat to my pic of Coach Dye, sit down with my bourbon and cheer as hard as I can for my Tigers. I was just as excited as anyone else about the Oregon win because like most of us who are tired of Gus, we also appreciate the effort and commitment of the young men playing for Auburn.  

What I don’t get, is why it matters so much to anyone what I or anyone else thinks on this board? We come here for varying opinions right?  We come here to talk, to laugh to debate etc.  So why make it such a big deal?  I know one of the Gus lovers will say it hurts recruiting but I will tell you that dog won’t hunt man. If it did then why is Gus still hauling in top classes?  And even IF it did it still doesn’t seem to matter because no matter how many top classes he brings in the result on the field doesn’t change.  So take that argument somewhere else.  

The anti-Gus brigade just wants to see better from Auburn. If we are truthful with ourselves Gus is just a symptom of bigger issues in the program that have been there for a long time.  Auburn’s willingness to lie down and play second fiddle to the goobers in tuscaloosa has worn thin.  The attitude I hear from the Gus lovers is “well, this is Auburn, we really can’t expect better”...I mean what kinda attitude is that??? Auburn has issues that prevent it from hiring big name coaches that have been well documented over the years, but who’s to say we couldn’t get lucky like Clemson did and land a guy who could change the program?  Nobody had a clue who Dabo was before he hit this roll he is on.  

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Seriously, does anyone here really think that our silly arguments and statements are going to hurt a Football Player's self esteem? 

If so, you really need a reality check...

no9yBp.gifgiphy.gif

will-muschamp-pissed-off-gif.gif

The one of Will Muschamp is BY FAR my favorite!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

My twin girls are VERY familiar with that face coming from their dad (not necessarily the yelling, btw...). 🤫

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I blame bird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, now I see who is really behind the “divide”. Lol

3D1B5BBB-E7D1-4FC5-A935-4F484E52039D.gif

19 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I can only speak for the circle of AU fans closest to me but there really isn’t much debate among us.  We all feel Gus has run his course. Even on this board it seems that is the majority opinion.  I still get up on Saturday, put on my gear, touch my War Eagle picture above my bed, tip my hat to my pic of Coach Dye, sit down with my bourbon and cheer as hard as I can for my Tigers. I was just as excited as anyone else about the Oregon win because like most of us who are tired of Gus, we also appreciate the effort and commitment of the young men playing for Auburn.  

What I don’t get, is why it matters so much to anyone what I or anyone else thinks on this board? We come here for varying opinions right?  We come here to talk, to laugh to debate etc.  So why make it such a big deal?  I know one of the Gus lovers will say it hurts recruiting but I will tell you that dog won’t hunt man. If it did then why is Gus still hauling in top classes?  And even IF it did it still doesn’t seem to matter because no matter how many top classes he brings in the result on the field doesn’t change.  So take that argument somewhere else.  

The anti-Gus brigade just wants to see better from Auburn. If we are truthful with ourselves Gus is just a symptom of bigger issues in the program that have been there for a long time.  Auburn’s willingness to lie down and play second fiddle to the goobers in tuscaloosa has worn thin.  The attitude I hear from the Gus lovers is “well, this is Auburn, we really can’t expect better”...I mean what kinda attitude is that??? Auburn has issues that prevent it from hiring big name coaches that have been well documented over the years, but who’s to say we couldn’t get lucky like Clemson did and land a guy who could change the program?  Nobody had a clue who Dabo was before he hit this roll he is on.  

Well said.  I don't agree with everything just because I am still behind Gus but I see where you are coming from.  Need more posts like this.  Well thought out.

19 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Not to mention,  before Dabo, they were basically a perennial losing football team. What a difference a shot in the dark hire made for them huh.

Just now, leglessdan said:

Not to mention,  before Dabo, they were basically a perennial losing football team. What a difference a shot in the dark hire made for them huh.

Yep and Im not naive enough to believe we would even get it right on the first try. I just told someone I don’t really trust our PTB to hire the right guy. We would basically have to get lucky like Clemson did. But that doesn’t mean you don’t try.

There’s only one reason people are really upset, and that’s because the Gus Bus only has so many seats and they’re upset they got left at the bus stop! 😂 

I’m fixing up a brand new one that will be ready next week, so hold your briches and be at the bus stop Saturday around 2:30!! 😝 

3A7C43BB-75D6-4CBD-9353-2739BC097F61.jpeg

31 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Man yeah. Whether Boom is Head Coach material is up for debate I guess, but he’s a football guy through and through. Always entertaining to say the least. :) 

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

There’s only one reason people are really upset, and that’s because the Gus Bus only has so many seats and they’re upset they got left at the bus stop! 😂 

I’m fixing up a brand new one that will be ready next week, so hold your briches and be at the bus stop Saturday around 2:30!! 😝 

3A7C43BB-75D6-4CBD-9353-2739BC097F61.jpeg

A+ levity right there. Cheers. 

23 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Yep and Im not naive enough to believe we would even get it right on the first try. I just told someone I don’t really trust our PTB to hire the right guy. We would basically have to get lucky like Clemson did. But that doesn’t mean you don’t try.

We are not divided at all because we all want the same thing, and that is for AU to be as good as it can possibly be. Some believe Malzahn is the man to lead the football program to be as good as it can be, and some of us know damn well that he is not the man to do it.  But, like the quoted past says, I don't trust the PTB to make another hire.  Malzahn is not a coaching roadkill, but we can do much better.  The question is: would we?

It is only for football. We are united and walking arm in arm in Basketball and baseball. These 2 men right here galvanizes the whole fan base and they have near 100% approval rating. More importantly there is a level of trust with those 2. I do not trust the football coach. He has fooled me to many times. It would take 3 straight years of good seasons for me to be able to trust him again. IF ever. 

sdsd.jpg

yuuyyu.jpg

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

We are not divided at all because we all want the same thing, and that is for AU to be as good as it can possibly be. Some believe Malzahn is the man to lead the football program to be as good as it can be, and some of us know damn well that he is not the man to do it.  But, like the quoted past says, I don't trust the PTB to make another hire.  Malzahn is not a coaching roadkill, but we can do much better.  The question is: would we?

Spot on. It isn't about "could". It's about "would". 

-We hired a coach from Wyoming and he took us from 5-6 to 9-3 in 2 years. The next year he went 11-1 and was robbed of a national championship.
-We hired the next coach from Samford. He went undefeated in year 1 and went 20-1-1 over his first two years. 
-We hired the next coach from Ole Miss. We gettin' fancy now. He went from 3-8 to 9-4 in 2 years. It took him 5 years to build the greatest Auburn team of all time. 
-We hired the next one from Iowa State. He wasn't even good at Iowa State. 5-7 to national title in 2 years. 
-Next guy came from Arkansas State and went from 3-9 to the national title game in his first season.

I mean, if we can do that - over and over and over again- with those guys??? Imagine what we're capable of!!!

Buuuuuut Tennessee happened, so yeah, we'll probably just fall off a cliff and never be good again. Because Tennessee. Never mind almost every single other big time program who regained relevance no more than 3-4 years after parting ways with much more big time coaches than Malzahn.  Never mind our roster loaded with young talent, our fertile recruiting territory, our fanbase and boosters dying to be energized by a new and, for once,  splash hire. Tennessee is what we need to focus on. Tennessee, Tennessee, Tennessee. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tennessee, Tennessee, Tennessee. 

I'll be honest about it, its the main reason that I am no longer  calling for Coach Goofy's head. That, and the fact that I have learned to like basketball better

2 hours ago, WeagleTheBeagle said:

Pretty simple for me...depending on the metrics used, we are about the 13th best CFB program of all time.  That's about where I expect us to be on average year in and out.  Gus has had a couple of good seasons but otherwise we have either been unranked or nearly unranked.  I like Gus, I hope he succeeds.  I'm scared to death of getting rid of him and rolling the dice on another coach.  

That said, I hate living in the Twitter generation.  While Gus justly deserves some criticism, I always try to keep in mind that it could be so much worse and be thankful.  Man, I'd hate to be Tennessee right now.  So many coaches that were hot names only a few years ago are either out of jobs or have lost their luster.    

Facts are we beat what appears to be a very good Oregon team and covered the spread in an ugly game against Tulane.  I think all of us would have taken that at the beginning of the year.  Recruiting is probably the best it's ever been.  Gus has some frustrating tendencies but he also doesn't get near enough credit for the things he's done right as a HC.  Criticism is fine, we are all here because we love talking football.  Personal attacks and drama get old.  

^^This^^

Just now, doverstutts said:

I'll be honest about it, its the main reason that I am no longer am calling for Coach Goofy's head. That, and the fact that I have learned to like basketball better

I really need to follow your lead on that second part. Especially since this past season ended in such spectacularly painful fashion. 

I am a fan primarily of Auburn and Atlanta teams. With only 2 exceptions, almost winning it all is where I live. 

Let's almost do this!!!! WAR DAMN BRUUUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!

Just now, doverstutts said:

I'll be honest about it, its the main reason that I am no longer am calling for Coach Goofy's head. That, and the fact that I have learned to like basketball better

UT does not have the built in recruiting advantages that we have. When they were great it is because they recruited great nationally. Being in the SEC and being on National TV more than any other conference helped with that. But now everyone is on national tv almost every game. They do not have that advantage. Their recruiting territory is not as fertile as ours. We will NEVER be what UT has become. Not for a stretch of over a decade! *Knock on wood* I am not even worried about that. How about DO NOT HIRE THE DEREK DOOLEY's and Lyle "Butch" Jones of the world who are truly awful coaches!!! I admit I thought Pruitt would be better than he is but am I suprised it has turned out like this? No. That whole program from top to bottom is a dumpster fire.

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Spot on. It isn't about "could". It's about "would". 

-We hired a coach from Wyoming and he took us from 5-6 to 9-3 in 2 years. The next year he went 11-1 and was robbed of a national championship.
-We hired the next coach from Samford. He went undefeated in year 1 and went 20-1-1 over his first two years. 
-We hired the next coach from Ole Miss. We gettin' fancy now. He went from 3-8 to 9-4 in 2 years. It took him 5 years to build the greatest Auburn team of all time. 
-We hired the next one from Iowa State. He wasn't even good at Iowa State. 5-7 to national title in 2 years. 
-Next guy came from Arkansas State and went from 3-9 to the national title game in his first season.

I mean, if we can do that - over and over and over again- with those guys??? Imagine what we're capable of!!!

Buuuuuut Tennessee happened, so yeah, we'll probably just fall off a cliff and never be good again. Because Tennessee. Never mind almost every single other big time program who regained relevance no more than 3-4 years after parting ways with much more big time coaches than Malzahn.  Never mind our roster loaded with young talent, our fertile recruiting territory, our fanbase and boosters dying to be energized by a new and, for once,  splash hire. Tennessee is what we need to focus on. Tennessee, Tennessee, Tennessee. 

So, what you're saying is, Auburn should cycle through Head Coaches every 3 years while we fans just sit back, relax & watch the SEC titles roll in....every 3 years...

Archived