Why are we so divided?

tbone4jc

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

So, what you're saying is, Auburn should cycle through Head Coaches every 3 years while we fans just sit back, relax & watch the SEC titles roll in....every 3 years...

Better than the current schedule!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got done talking to a couple of my Tennessee and Arkansas buddies. They laugh at the idea of how bad poor Gus has it with the name calling. 

Honestly folks need some serious perspective. This board and fan base is tame as hell compared to what other SEC schools go through. Remember Les Miles last couple of years? How about the crap their AD went through after he suspended the LSU basketball coach? If anything this fan base takes way too much drama without resistance.  

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I can only speak for the circle of AU fans closest to me but there really isn’t much debate among us.  We all feel Gus has run his course. Even on this board it seems that is the majority opinion.  I still get up on Saturday, put on my gear, touch my War Eagle picture above my bed, tip my hat to my pic of Coach Dye, sit down with my bourbon and cheer as hard as I can for my Tigers. I was just as excited as anyone else about the Oregon win because like most of us who are tired of Gus, we also appreciate the effort and commitment of the young men playing for Auburn.  

What I don’t get, is why it matters so much to anyone what I or anyone else thinks on this board? We come here for varying opinions right?  We come here to talk, to laugh to debate etc.  So why make it such a big deal?  I know one of the Gus lovers will say it hurts recruiting but I will tell you that dog won’t hunt man. If it did then why is Gus still hauling in top classes?  And even IF it did it still doesn’t seem to matter because no matter how many top classes he brings in the result on the field doesn’t change.  So take that argument somewhere else.  

The anti-Gus brigade just wants to see better from Auburn. If we are truthful with ourselves Gus is just a symptom of bigger issues in the program that have been there for a long time.  Auburn’s willingness to lie down and play second fiddle to the goobers in tuscaloosa has worn thin.  The attitude I hear from the Gus lovers is “well, this is Auburn, we really can’t expect better”...I mean what kinda attitude is that??? Auburn has issues that prevent it from hiring big name coaches that have been well documented over the years, but who’s to say we couldn’t get lucky like Clemson did and land a guy who could change the program?  Nobody had a clue who Dabo was before he hit this roll he is on.  

That is what I am saying fam!!!!!!! Clemson chaps my ass and makes me upset more than any other program in America right now. Clemson IS WHO WE SHOULD BE!!!!! That is our birthright!!! NOT THEIRS! We are their big brother. We have always been head and shoulders a bigger and better program. We are a fringe blue blood program who never has had that transcendent, elite coach to take us to that blue blood table and get us a seat there where we belong. And freaking Clemson out of all the teams in the country is THE IT program in college football right now?! CLEMSON?! Are you kidding me? The school in a little hick town in South Carolina? Clemson who just a few years ago lost like 3 or 4 straight years to freaking South Carolina?! I am getting wound up and worked up just thinking about it lol. And we majorly aided them in getting there. The game against us in 2011 kick started this whole run. Dabo was on the hot seat and they boat raced us in the second half and really have not looked back since. Meanwhile we continue the never ending roller coaster ride from hell that is Auburn football. And little brother Clem is working on their 9th straight 10 win season. We totally mis handled the aftermath of the 2010 and 2013 seasons. I have never seen such a great program like us not be able to have sustained success.

Honestly if you do not have THE coach then there is always going to be the never ending debates like we get about Gus every season. It just further proves he is not the guy to take us where we want to go and should expect to go.

I feel like this is one of the most civil conversations about being uncivil that I have ever seen! Good job guys! Way to agree to disagree! Y'all need to come and teach my kindergartners how to not argue over their place in the line. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just got done talking to a couple of my Tennessee and Arkansas buddies. They laugh at the idea of how bad poor Gus has it with the name calling. 

Honestly folks need some serious perspective. This board and fan base is tame as hell compared to what other SEC schools go through. Remember Les Miles last couple of years? How about the crap their AD went through after he suspended the LSU basketball coach? If anything this fan base takes way too much drama without resistance.  

Many (most?) of us like to claim that having class helps set Auburn people apart from many of the other schools' fanbases.  Unfortunately, many of us also seem to think staying classy equals weakness for some reason...

3 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Man I love a good ole “I’m a better fan than you” thread. Classic stuff. 

nailed it!!!  The one thing that every sunshine pumper believes is this.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just had a fun thought. Imagine the reaction of Georgia fans if Mark Richt had rotated five quarterbacks in game one or lost to us in the manner we lost to them in '16. Athens would have resembled a set from Fury Road and I'm not sure it would have been wrong to have a mass freak out like that.

10 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I feel like this is one of the most civil conversations about being uncivil that I have ever seen! Good job guys! Way to agree to disagree! Y'all need to come and teach my kindergartners how to not argue over their place in the line. 

I have TONS of experience making sure that our twin girls (who are fraternal twins and NOTHING alike) get along nicely, LOL!

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

13 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Many (most?) of us like to claim that having class helps set Auburn people apart from many of the other schools' fanbases.  Unfortunately, many of us also seem to think staying classy equals weakness for some reason...

Two of the sanest posts I have seen today.  Gold stars to my favorite posters today plus @GwillMac6.  But just today.  Tomorrow I will hate you.  12:00 AM.  Book it.  :lol:

In all seriousness this is probably the tamest sports forum of the tamest fan base.  And I say that as a positive.  I love everything Auburn truly represents and I know most of you do as well.  Disagreements or not.  Today just seems like an off day with half of the forum arguing/accusing and the other half respectfully discussing.  Admittedly I got pulled in to both sides.  There will always be a new day to start anew.  :wedance:

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus is an employee of Auburn University, he is not Auburn University. If an employee is not doing his job he will be critiqued, but the only critique he is responsible for is from his boss’.

This is a football forum and fans get to criticize the coach if they feel he is not living up to his salary and putting a good product on the field.  The product is what every Auburn fan is proud of and will support to his/her dyeing day.  If the product is not good, there’s only one person held responsible and that’s the HC.

This is not a hard concept to understand.  I don’t know why so many people don’t understand it.  Gus has started his 7th year and we have not put a consistent product on the field.  He deserves all the criticism he gets until this changes.

It's not that people don't comprehend or understand it. It's that the many posters on this forum are sick and tired of hearing about it. There are almost no posts in ANY forum...football or not....that don't turn into a Gus-bashing. No one has anything new or profound to say about Gus by this point. We have heard it all ten thousand times. The season has started, he is the coach, and it's just time to shut up about Gus and support the team. All the constant negativity is boring, and tiresome when that's all that's ever posted around here, and it has gotten to that point. It's been at that point for a while. Now it's all there is. We can't even enjoy wins around here anymore. 

It's all about how posters choose to deal with it....it's not a matter of comprehension. If you choose to only look at every single mistake, every negative thing, and see only the bad then what I actually don't understand is why you are even watching Auburn football. If all I could do was gripe and complain about something, and it gave me no pleasure, then I'd stay away from it. And I wouldn't do my best to make everyone else miserable and then call them out if they weren't as unhappy as me. Are we not even allowed to enjoy a win without being called out on it, and have our intellect questioned now? 

Gus is the coach this season.....so it is what it is.  I'm Auburn to the core, and I appreciate all the hard work that the players and coaches put into football so that I can be entertained. Supporting the team during the season, including the coaches, is what I feel is best for Auburn and the football program. Obviously there is a contingent with a different perspective, and you all are determined to be heard over and over and over and over and over.....it has become detrimental to the point that it was mentioned on the broadcast Saturday night....on national tv.  Auburn does not need that. The team does not need that. 

And I hate that word "product". It's insulting and demeaning. These are college kids with families, and friends. Gus is a very decent human being, as are the rest of the coaches. This is not an impersonal "product". This is literally hundreds of hours of blood, sweat and tears, and it is personal to everyone on the team, and to their loved ones. 

3 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I can only speak for the circle of AU fans closest to me but there really isn’t much debate among us.  We all feel Gus has run his course. Even on this board it seems that is the majority opinion.  I still get up on Saturday, put on my gear, touch my War Eagle picture above my bed, tip my hat to my pic of Coach Dye, sit down with my bourbon and cheer as hard as I can for my Tigers. I was just as excited as anyone else about the Oregon win because like most of us who are tired of Gus, we also appreciate the effort and commitment of the young men playing for Auburn.  

What I don’t get, is why it matters so much to anyone what I or anyone else thinks on this board? We come here for varying opinions right?  We come here to talk, to laugh to debate etc.  So why make it such a big deal?  I know one of the Gus lovers will say it hurts recruiting but I will tell you that dog won’t hunt man. If it did then why is Gus still hauling in top classes?  And even IF it did it still doesn’t seem to matter because no matter how many top classes he brings in the result on the field doesn’t change.  So take that argument somewhere else.  

The anti-Gus brigade just wants to see better from Auburn. If we are truthful with ourselves Gus is just a symptom of bigger issues in the program that have been there for a long time.  Auburn’s willingness to lie down and play second fiddle to the goobers in tuscaloosa has worn thin.  The attitude I hear from the Gus lovers is “well, this is Auburn, we really can’t expect better”...I mean what kinda attitude is that??? Auburn has issues that prevent it from hiring big name coaches that have been well documented over the years, but who’s to say we couldn’t get lucky like Clemson did and land a guy who could change the program?  Nobody had a clue who Dabo was before he hit this roll he is on.  

This all day.

55 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Every Alabama fan I have ever known...the "BAMMER" ones...say "At least Alabama has CLASS."  

Oh, yeah, they do.

BTW...something we can at least agree upon?

Image result for alabama fan crazyimage.jpegImage result for toothless alabama fans

33 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

It's not that people don't comprehend or understand it. It's that the many posters on this forum are sick and tired of hearing about it. There are almost no posts in ANY forum...football or not....that don't turn into a Gus-bashing. No one has anything new or profound to say about Gus by this point. We have heard it all ten thousand times. The season has started, he is the coach, and it's just time to shut up about Gus and support the team. All the constant negativity is boring, and tiresome when that's all that's ever posted around here, and it has gotten to that point. It's been at that point for a while. Now it's all there is. We can't even enjoy wins around here anymore. 

It's all about how posters choose to deal with it....it's not a matter of comprehension. If you choose to only look at every single mistake, every negative thing, and see only the bad then what I actually don't understand is why you are even watching Auburn football. If all I could do was gripe and complain about something, and it gave me no pleasure, then I'd stay away from it. And I wouldn't do my best to make everyone else miserable and then call them out if they weren't as unhappy as me. Are we not even allowed to enjoy a win without being called out on it, and have our intellect questioned now? 

Gus is the coach this season.....so it is what it is.  I'm Auburn to the core, and I appreciate all the hard work that the players and coaches put into football so that I can be entertained. Supporting the team during the season, including the coaches, is what I feel is best for Auburn and the football program. Obviously there is a contingent with a different perspective, and you all are determined to be heard over and over and over and over and over.....it has become detrimental to the point that it was mentioned on the broadcast Saturday night....on national tv.  Auburn does not need that. The team does not need that. 

And I hate that word "product". It's insulting and demeaning. These are college kids with families, and friends. Gus is a very decent human being, as are the rest of the coaches. This is not an impersonal "product". This is literally hundreds of hours of blood, sweat and tears, and it is personal to everyone on the team, and to their loved ones. 

I respect that. I assure you we'd all love nothing more than to come on this board and discuss how great the team is and much progress these kids are making towards their professional goals. That said,  there are two sides of a coin, and all the conversation can't only be about warm and fuzzy feelings. If that were the case,  with what we've been witnessing,  we'd not have much to talk about. When praise is due,  more times than not, it's given. Same for the other side of the coin. It's ok for us to all have different viewpoints and discuss whatever is on the table. We don't all have to like everything that's said. For me personally,  it's a chore to be overly positive when the same symptoms keep reappearing time and time again,  yet we're supposed to expect a different outcome.  We're chasing our own tails here and it pains me to see a place,  that although I am not an alumni of, continually settle for average return on investment. I was raised a bama fan. Everyone in my family were bama fans. Once I got old enough to know what was going on, 9 I think, I CHOSE to support and cheer for Auburn due to one of the greatest tigers to ever grace the plains. Mr. Vincent Bo Jackson. Never looked back, and never will, no matter what a rollercoaster ride it is. Doesn't mean we all have to be happy about it and hide our opinions. Wde

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Thanks for posting your thoughts, it’s always good to see different perspectives on subjects brought up on this board.  I respect your point of view and agree that the team needs to be supported from week to week and look forward to seeing improvements by the players as the season progresses.

Are there any other words I can avoid so you won’t be triggered by the next post?

5 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

:bow:

I really do not think we are that divided. There are some on this board that know a whole lot more than others about how the game works.  I know very little compared to a lot of folks on this site and often get frustrated trying to figure out things. 

The offense has its moments in this young season both good and bad. The defense is plain salty good and will need to be all season until, and I hope until soon, that the offense plays closer to the level of the defense. This season most will agree with is at a crossroad with Gus. It is all on him and I think he will give it his best whether or not it is good enough to be the coach for 2020.

I want Gus to succeed as much as anyone on this site. I do not want him to fail just to get rid of him. Gus will be his own doing or undoing this season of which a lot of you can agree with me on. I am sure he is burning the midnight oil to succeed. The question is whether he has enough midnight oil to burn to bring the success he wants to have. I do not think effort is the problem whatsoever. Time will tell the story and I hope it will be a good story to tell. 

I have been looking for a full game replay of the Auburn Tulane game on youtube and cannot find this. Maybe in a few days it will be online.

7 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I have been looking for a full game replay of the Auburn Tulane game on youtube and cannot find this. Maybe in a few days it will be online.

Doc, I'm guessing by this post you don't have a DVR. You really should get one to record the games if at all possible. It will change the way you watch normal television programming forever. As far as games I never watch the losses again, I just delete those.  I'm not a coach so I can't fix anything they did that was wrong anyway. I don't care to relive the aggravation. 

40 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Thanks for posting your thoughts, it’s always good to see different perspectives on subjects brought up on this board.  I respect your point of view and agree that the team needs to be supported from week to week and look forward to seeing improvements by the players as the season progresses.

Are there any other words I can avoid so you won’t be triggered by the next post?

Additional condescending remarks are really not necessary. You just need to remember that you are talking about real people.....college kids, in fact, many of them are still teenagers. Try not to insult them publicly by calling them a "product"  like they're cans of tuna. That's on you, buddy. 

WHY are we so divided? I blame it on Bird and Golf. They keep the whole board stirred up. Maybe they should have a “Beer Summit “???

8 minutes ago, WarTim said:

WHY are we so divided? I blame it on Bird and Golf. They keep the whole board stirred up. Maybe they should have a “Beer Summit “???

Ohhhh!

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I don't know anyone who thinks that way. You have totally misinterpreted things. Gus fans think he can bring more success to Auburn given enough time and support. Dabo did not become successful overnight, and he doesn't have much of an in-state juggernaut to face either. He has been given full support and you can see the results.....but it took him 10 YEARS to get the program to where it is now . Dabo had to learn on the job also, and he made plenty of mistakes. He started at Clemson in 2008, so don't try to re-write history here, and act like he was this great coach all along. He has grown into his job over the years. 

Archived