Why are we so divided?

tbone4jc

47 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I don't know anyone who thinks that way. You have totally misinterpreted things. Gus fans think he can bring more success to Auburn given enough time and support. Dabo did not become successful overnight, and he doesn't have much of an in-state juggernaut to face either. He has been given full support and you can see the results.....but it took him 10 YEARS to get the program to where it is now . Dabo had to learn on the job also, and he made plenty of mistakes. He started at Clemson in 2008, so don't try to re-write history here, and act like he was this great coach all along. He has grown into his job over the years. 

I respect your opinion. I completely disagree but I respect it. I’ve been having these same debates on Twitter and I have literally had people tell me that Auburn cannot expect any better. I certainly don’t know if anyone on this board thinks that way but apparently some AU folks do. Respectfully, we disagree and thats ok. I hope we win every game remaining...But i’m not holding my breath.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I respect that. I assure you we'd all love nothing more than to come on this board and discuss how great the team is and much progress these kids are making towards their professional goals. That said,  there are two sides of a coin, and all the conversation can't only be about warm and fuzzy feelings. If that were the case,  with what we've been witnessing,  we'd not have much to talk about. When praise is due,  more times than not, it's given. Same for the other side of the coin. It's ok for us to all have different viewpoints and discuss whatever is on the table. We don't all have to like everything that's said. For me personally,  it's a chore to be overly positive when the same symptoms keep reappearing time and time again,  yet we're supposed to expect a different outcome.  We're chasing our own tails here and it pains me to see a place,  that although I am not an alumni of, continually settle for average return on investment. I was raised a bama fan. Everyone in my family were bama fans. Once I got old enough to know what was going on, 9 I think, I CHOSE to support and cheer for Auburn due to one of the greatest tigers to ever grace the plains. Mr. Vincent Bo Jackson. Never looked back, and never will, no matter what a rollercoaster ride it is. Doesn't mean we all have to be happy about it and hide our opinions. Wde

Good grief this is a fantastic post, Kudos sir. WDE

9 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I respect your opinion. I completely disagree but I respect it. I’ve been having these same debates on Twitter and I have literally had people tell me that Auburn cannot expect any better. I certainly don’t know if anyone on this board thinks that way but apparently some AU folks do. Respectfully, we disagree and thats ok. I hope we win every game remaining...But i’m not holding my breath.

If what you say is true.....then it's probably about 3 people.  And I have never..in a lifetime of being an Auburn fan, and being in a family of Auburn boosters....met any Auburn fan who really felt that way. 

This really is a bitterly divided fan base. Half of us want to see Tuscaloosa go up in flames, and half want to see it destroyed by an F5 tornado. Sad we can't all come together on this.

Thanks guy's and gal's. Great discussion. Great points made. Looking forward to the rest of the season. Here's to getting better every game🍺

9 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I always imagined Barning Hard was @ellitor's burner account. 

I don't get the reference. I see myself as tame compared to some AU fans. & yes I saw the video before it was deleted.

Why are we so divided?

Because we are the perfectly functioning, dysfunctional Auburn family. It's what we do. We get all over each other & the team because we & they are ours. Now if some outside our circle want to get on us or our team then ....

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, WarTim said:

WHY are we so divided? I blame it on Bird and Golf. They keep the whole board stirred up. Maybe they should have a “Beer Summit “???

It might be a long drawn out process than will take several lengthy meetings... I'll give it a try.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

It might be a long drawn out process than will take several lengthy meetings... I'll give it a try.

I feel certain Golf will join in. 😎

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Be sure to bring your own beer. PBR might make you live forever, but at what cost???

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Since it was your idea, we'll send you the bill.

Dang it!!! Another mortgage 😩😩😩

16 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Many (most?) of us like to claim that having class helps set Auburn people apart from many of the other schools' fanbases.  Unfortunately, many of us also seem to think staying classy equals weakness for some reason...

Over the years, and it has been quite a few I have had nothing but compliments from opposing teams fans on how classy our fan base is. I have a buddy from West Virginia that went to the "rain" game a few years back and he had nothing but good things to say about Auburn and our fan base. WVA is not a friendly place to play and my friend admits they are not very kind to visitors. You are taking a chance of getting your car keyed if you have an AU sticker on it as you might expect by going to tuscaloosa . I would rather be well thought of by our opposing fan bases than be compared to the redneck bammers. JMO.

WDE!!!

I know everyone has their own perspective on CGM. It all depends on what you are looking for. I was behind coach Chizik until I saw the team quit on him. Coach Gus doesn't have a losing season under his belt. Even the great Tommy Tuberville had 2 that I remember (1999 and 2001?) And he only had a winning record against 1 of our big 3 rivals and those were down years for UAT. 

CGM had little to no experience as a head coach so yes he is a work in progress. 

A few have brought up Dabo. There was a thing called Clemsoning a few short years back because he couldn't win big games and he was a work in progress with no Head coaching experience.  It took him what, 8 years before he finally broke through and became relevant? How many losing seasons did he produce? In the ACC no less!

As long as our players believe in CGM I will also. That's my perspective. War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

13 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Additional condescending remarks are really not necessary. You just need to remember that you are talking about real people.....college kids, in fact, many of them are still teenagers. Try not to insult them publicly by calling them a "product"  like they're cans of tuna. That's on you, buddy. 

I agree that additional condescending remarks are not necessary and that is probably why I responded to yours.  It was a weak moment.  I do not bash the student athletes, only the professionally paid coaches. The student athletes are there to work on their chosen profession and will make mistakes, it happens. The coaches are there to correct those mistakes and show them what is expected of them in their chosen profession just like any other professor employed by Auburn University.

The word *product* is a word in the English language that has many meanings, non of which are derogatory. If you are so sensitive to certain words then that’s on you, honey. I can’t responsible for your sensitivity.  

ETA: this is not a condescending comment, just explaining why I do not consider *product* as bashing our players. Ok, mentioning your sensitivity could be construed as condescending, so I guess I had another weak moment.

30 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

I know everyone has their own perspective on CGM. It all depends on what you are looking for. I was behind coach Chizik until I saw the team quit on him. Coach Gus doesn't have a losing season under his belt. Even the great Tommy Tuberville had 2 that I remember (1999 and 2001?) And he only had a winning record against 1 of our big 3 rivals and those were down years for UAT. 

CGM had little to no experience as a head coach so yes he is a work in progress. 

A few have brought up Dabo. There was a thing called Clemsoning a few short years back because he couldn't win big games and he was a work in progress with no Head coaching experience.  It took him what, 8 years before he finally broke through and became relevant? How many losing seasons did he produce? In the ACC no less!

As long as our players believe in CGM I will also. That's my perspective. War Eagle and IGTBAAT!

Ron Zook and Les Miles players believed in them too. 

29 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Dabo became interim head coach at Clemson in 2008. He went 3-4 to finish out the season.

He went 9-5 the following season.

He went 6-7 the season after that.

Since then he has won 10 or more games 8 straight times. 

So he became relevant his first full season and "broke through" in his third season. 

Most importantly, he has steadily gotten better since then. His best team was his most recent one.

Gus's best team was 6 years ago and he hasn't even approached being that good since. 

22 hours ago, WeagleTheBeagle said:

.depending on the metrics used, we are about the 13th best CFB program of all time.  That's about where I expect us to be on average year in and out...I'm scared to death of getting rid of him and rolling the dice on another coach. 

As I've said before, GOOD is the ENEMY of GREAT.

19 hours ago, auburnphan said:

nailed it!!!  The one thing that every sunshine pumper believes is this.

I just want to point out that I got one of every response to this post and 1 only.  Does it prove our decisiveness?!

LOL

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

He produced no losing seasons in the ACC.  His second year as head coach he did go 4-4.  His 2nd worst season as a head coach was 9-5 which was his first.  Since his 2nd season he has won 10 or more games every season.

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

And he only had a winning record against 1 of our big 3 rivals and those were down years for UAT. 

It is always interesting how folks play around with statistics in an effort to support their position.  In the case quoted above I cannot believe any rational AU fan would try to minimize Tub’s 6 year winning streak over UA  

You might want to rethink that. 

Anyway, have a nice day and WE. 

24 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I just want to point out that I got one of every response to this post and 1 only.  Does it prove our decisiveness?!

LOL

Man, you hit for the cycle on that one.  Save it, that has to be hard to do.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Ron Zook and Les Miles players believed in them too. 

Les Miles kinda won at LSU. Ron Zook not so much.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:52 AM, tbone4jc said:

This is a tweet from Peter Michael Green and , to me , it hits the nail on the head....

It seems the Auburn fan base is pretty divided these days. That’s really sad, because we all have something very great in common - Auburn. Just so there is no confusion, if we’re picking sides—and it looks like we are, I’m on the side of those who believe in Auburn, and love it.

There is a huge following in this forum that is hyper critical of every minor or major misstep the coach makes, I mean really expound to the point where it becomes obnoxious. It overtakes every topic on the football, recruiting and even the basketball forums. 

Believe it or not my expectations are 10 wins or bust every season and yes I do believe CGM should have us in a better position than we are now but I also realize that these are 18, 19, 20 and 21 year old kids who play their guts out for this man, believe in him regardless of his short comings and I would rather be represented by this coach and win SEC championship and  National Championships as he has and be proud of the way our program is run. 

I am not calling out names or pointing fingers. If it fits you than it is what it is. There are so many more people that live Auburn and support the coach that expect to be winning 10+ games every season but can go about without the distasteful remarks being made about OUR HEAD FOOTBALL COACH!

That tweet is misleading. It's not that the detractors don't believe in or love Auburn. It's that they don't believe in Gus. THAT is why we are so divided. There is the contingent that doesn't believe Malzahn will ever be better than an 8-4 coach, and there is the contingent that is still willing to wait and see. I am one of the latter, but my patience is wearing thin.

Archived