Is Auburn really the 7th best team?

AURex

I think it's funny that few have recognized that the AP and Coaches polls are completely meaningless and have been since 2014.  We're debating something here that has zero bearing on the CFP poll, which is the only one that actually matters.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think it's funny that few have recognized that the AP and Coaches polls are completely meaningless and have been since 2014.  We're debating something here that has zero bearing on the CFP poll, which is the only one that actually matters.

You believe that? I don't. 

Defense is inside the top 7. Offense... not so much.

But with the average (being generous) play of the offensive line, along with a shiny, brand spanking new, quarterback, the offense is going to be challenged. 

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You believe that? I don't. 

Absolutely.  Go back to 2017 for evidence.  We weren't ranked #2 in any of the "major" polls after beating Bama.   I think we were 5 or 6.  But the only one that mattered had us #2 going into the SEC title game.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Absolutely.  Go back to 2017 for evidence.  We weren't ranked #2 in any of the "major" polls after beating Bama.   I think we were 5 or 6.  But the only one that mattered had us #2 going into the SEC title game.

You know... I do remember that now. But you can look at that a couple ways and ultimately I don't think that confirms that the polls don't meaningfully affect the committee's perception.  

Short answer No. Statistics don't show it. Power rankings are not showing it. Without a 75% plus improvement on offense, special teams and a 25% improvement on defense, I just can't see it. There must be a 90% improvement on play calling from Gus too.

I don't care about the ranking, just WIN GAMES!

If nothing else these polls give you bragging rights! I would think it’s also good for recruits to see us ranking higher during the season.

Dont we do this every year? Have a few close games to start out with and feel its gonna go down hill... Until we see some SEC play in about the 4th game ( it usually the Miss State game) that I get a feel for the season.  Last year and the year prior it was LSU. I think after A&M we will have a more confident feeling about what this years gonna be like.

It’s hard to know at this point in the season but what we do know is Auburn has the best win of the season in a marquee made for TV game on a neutral field.  LSU’s win the other night was also impressive but I do think Oregon would probably beat Texas.  

Archived