Kent State - what do you want to see?

Zeek

So far Kent State has lost to Arizona State 30-7 which isn't a terrible outing when looking at the talent difference. However their 26-23 overtime game against Kennesaw State is much less inspiring and worthy of criticism. Through two games they're averaging 26.5 points allowed and 16.5 points scored on offense. Now it's likely that the Golden Flashes were looking past Kennesaw State for the matchup with Auburn and new starting quarterback David Crum seems to give the a stronger passing attack; unfortunately that likely means we won't se our former backup Woody Barrett in action.

The main matchup to watch when the Golden Flashes lineup for offense will be how Auburn handles standout receiver Isaiah McKoy who has 9 catches for 151 yards and 2 touchdowns after their first two games. While the Auburn secondary has been sturdy it'll be important to suffocate the passing game early and avoid another slow start for a third straight week.

CBS ranks Kent State at 114th and Auburn at 12th so for all intents-and-purposes this should be a drubbing for Auburn as they head into SEC play. Auburn's offense will likely be run heavy against the Golden Flashes, especially once the Tigers start burning clock, and that should work well considering the opposition is ranked 115th in run defense allowing 211 yards per game. Anything short of a blowout should be disappointing for Auburn.

Here is what I would like to see:

1.  Defense proving they can get a pass rush with just the front four.
  2.  Offense should put up maximum points. If we can blow them out by 50+ lets do it instead of burning the clock in both the 3rd and 4th quarters.
  3.  Defense needs to force some turnovers. We had one interception last week but it was a floater that was largely unforced. Let's force some fumbles and jump some routes.
  4.  OL has to dominate an inferior team for once.
  5.  We need to see Bo Nix spread the ball around, stay in the pocket, and finish with at least 50% completions (I'd like more but this should be an easily attainable mark)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with all of it. Arizona State also just got done playing a barn burning 19-7 game against Sacramento State. Don't think Kent State will be much of an issue. I just want to see us maul an inferior team, prove we can block capable football playing athletes on the opposing defensive line, and build some valuable experience/confidence for Nix. 

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

OL has to dominate an inferior team for once

This times 1000. Also,

- I want to see every healthy RB get at least one series as the primary back.

- I want to see Gatewood for at least a quarter running the entire offense including throwing the ball.

Same thing I want to see every week. Sound, competent and competitive football. No cute BS. I'd like to see the middle passing explored a little more, different RBs given a chance without the package BS we've been running. Pretty much everything we all complain about wanting to see every week. 

10 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Same thing I want to see every week. Sound, competent and competitive football. No cute BS. I'd like to see the middle passing explored a little more, different RBs given a chance without the package BS we've been running. Pretty much everything we all complain about wanting to see every week. 

Haha, that last sentence is basically how I feel.

Every week. For years. 

I'd like to see somebody besides Hastings get open once in a while.  If they stack the box, I'd like to see Bo slice them up passing.  I'd like to see some sacks.  I'd like to see a crying Kent State fan in the 4th quarter.  I'd like to see 4 or 5 running backs in the first half.   I'd like to see a tight end catch a pass.

I would like to see our O-Line look like at worst, an SEC line, at best...a good SEC line. I would like to see Bo gain a lot of confidence in this game by shredding them. I would like to see BKB or TD whoever step up and get a dominant edge rush against an inferior opponent to give them more confidence for SEC play. I would like to see DBs heads turning looking for the ball and a pick or two. I would like to see Gus call and aggressive game through 4 quarters to get himself primed up for next week. Lastly...shutout. 

I would like to see everything that we hate turn into something we love.

I would like to see everything that we already love turn into something we want to run away to Vegas with!

3 minutes ago, aubcali said:

I would like the game clock to work.  

This....and I will add: at the start of the game and all the way through.

My question with the running backs:

1. Is Joiner just the worst running back in the history of the world? It's mind boggling he hasn't had a single carry.

2. Does Malik Miller still exist?

3. Injury updates for MAR and DJ Williams?

4. Does Gus not know how to use Shiv? He should just watch game film on CMC when he was at Stanford.

39 minutes ago, Zeek said:

4. Does Gus not know how to use Shiv?

This one is the biggest head scratcher. 

Doesn't seem like 4.4 ypc and 3 fumbles justifies Boobee having twice as many carries as the rest of the RBs- and more carries than the rest of the team- put together, but here we are. 

1. Lets rotate RBs a bit. 

2. OL get some movement and play mean

3. Nix hitting open receivers consistently

4. Targets to multiple receivers

5. Gatewood playing the majority of the second half and throwing the football

6. Defense to keep doing what they've done the first couple weeks

I'd love to see the offense and defense on the same page. They were doing anything but working together against Tulane. One other thing. We must start doing a better job in covering kick and punt returns.

I want the defense to do their thing and be awesome without as many early whoopsies.

I want the offense to do whatever is wants successfully... even if it shouldn't be doing those things.  i.e. if we run it up the middle 4 consecutive times, we better be more than 4 yards up the field.  If we throw deep on 3rd and 1, then it better connect... etc.

I want the offense to focus on getting better (passing, using more playmakers, gaining experience, OL improvements, ball security, proper substitutions, hurry up, the list goes on).

I want to see more McPeePants in the game thread.

I want my Mtv.

I want the offense to look like they have an idea what they're doing. We've seen countless games the last few years where it looks like the first day of camp out there. 

3 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I can almost bet there will be a short yardage down and we will come out in the sugar huddle or whitlow will be wildcat , Instead of using the 6’5 QB we have on the bench 

3 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

I'd like to see somebody besides Hastings get open once in a while.  If they stack the box, I'd like to see Bo slice them up passing.  I'd like to see some sacks.  I'd like to see a crying Kent State fan in the 4th quarter.  I'd like to see 4 or 5 running backs in the first half.   I'd like to see a tight end catch a pass.

And-IF Bo has to scramble see the WRs help him out. Last week literally saw hastings just stop and look around. Move! Get open!

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I'd love to see the offense and defense on the same page. They were doing anything but working together against Tulane. One other thing. We must start doing a better job in covering kick and punt returns.

What the heck does this even mean? 😝 

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

I can almost bet there will be a short yardage down and we will come out in the sugar huddle or whitlow will be wildcat , Instead of using the 6’5 QB we have on the bench 

I agree this is frustrating but the only way I see this changing is to sub Nix off for Gatewood and continue to go pace with gatewood if we get the first down or big yardage. I don’t think Gus is willing to commit to that. 

Archived