Underrated Recruits Who Have Shined

Mikey

Big contributors Daniel Thomas, Roger McCreary and Boobie Whitlow? Answer: All three were late pickups on signing day after other, "better" prospects signed elsewhere and left an unexpected vacancy. Add in former walkon Will Hastings and we've got four lightly recruited guys that are doing big things.

That's not to say that rankings don't matter, they do matter. However, these four guys do show us not to get disappointed when we land a prospect that's "only" a two or three star.

• ellitor changed the title to Underrated Recruits Who Have Shined

24 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

DJ Williams was lightly recruited when we offered but then blew up shortly after but that was late in the recruiting process

And when he gets healthy the staff expects him to be the legit #2 every down back, maybe #1 if Boobee continues the fumblitis.

Good thread.

I've said too many times to count that this staff does a great job of doing their own evaluations and getting in on under-recruited guys who blow up in recruitment and/or the field. They're not all hits and sometimes we do take guys just because we missed on our top wants but who doesn't. And that's something we need to be able to do to compete. While we are capable of being a top-10 team in recruiting, we are not capable of beating the true elite on a regular basis. So we have to hit on some of these guys. 

Kudos to Gus and his staff. Job well done. 

Add Tyrone Truesdell to this list. He's a Man, with a capital M.

Heck, I might add Chandler Wooten. A lot of people liked him, but the industry never really bought in. He's been good to start the year.

I suspect/hope  D Newkirk will be the next one.  I heard a very positive report on him this week.

I hope he still has some of his freakish athleticism after that last Achilles injury.

Now if we can get Matthew Hill some targets - he will, but he was not underrated.  

My man crush his sophomore year, Daniel Thomas.  He was a 2* and ranked 1532 in the country. Jordan Peters was also ranked 726.  Love these stories.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:53 PM, abw0004 said:

My man crush his sophomore year, Daniel Thomas.  He was a 2* and ranked 1532 in the country. Jordan Peters was also ranked 726.  Love these stories.

I see we have common interest....as DT is my man crush as well! Cheers Mate!

On 9/12/2019 at 2:36 PM, ellitor said:

He was a 4*. Mikey is mainly talking 2 & 3 *s plus unrated guys.

I lost track of Newkirk being a 4*

I thought he played RB in high school and was a JUCO guy.  My bad.

Archived