Idea of paying players

TigerHorn

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Sounds like if you don't like it here then leave.....

Your talking points are SO BAD, Cole. Man, alive. You just have a loose collection of buzzwords and correlations that make no sense. Argue the nuts and bolts of why the third string receiver at Arkansas State deserves 50k a season all you want. But don't use a bunch of woke-nation social media drivel. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUght2win said:

What makes this possible? Auburn - the brand. Auburn - the school. Auburn - the history. Auburn - the alumni. Auburn - the fanbase. Fans don't come to watch world class athletes. They come to root for whoever in the hell is wearing Navy Blue. Whether it's Cam or me or you. That's why the argument falls flat. If the entire NCAA had to use scrubs as replacement players, people would still watch. That's why the service they offer isn't contingent on their own individual value (Capitalism).

Not so with the NFL. People go to NFL games to see stars and athletic prowess. That's why replacement players didn't work.

Bull crap.  Fans come to watch winning football.  Maybe your memory is short, but may I remind you how empty JHS was in 2012 late in the season?  Tennessee arguably has a bigger brand than we do based on history.  Over 20k empty seats the first two weeks.

People don't want to watch crappy college football.  If they did, then D3 would be on TV every week because none of those kids are on athletic scholarship.  Fans want to see the best of the best.  That's why the Power 5 conferences have all of the TV contracts while the MAC is on ESPN+ streaming services or relegated to Wednesday night.

The moment people begin to acknowledge that this is a business, and a very large one at that, is the moment we can have an honest conversation.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Argue the nuts and bolts of why the third string receiver at Arkansas State deserves 50k a season all you want.

Because capitalism isn't about getting what you deserve.  It's about getting what someone is willing to pay you.  If a booster at Arky St wants to fork that over for receiver, so be it.  Who am I to tell that person what to do with their money and who am I to shame the player for taking it?

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Bull crap.  Fans come to watch winning football.  Maybe your memory is short, but may I remind you how empty JHS was in 2012 late in the season?  Tennessee arguably has a bigger brand than we do based on history.  Over 20k empty seats the first two weeks.

People don't want to watch crappy college football.  If they did, then D3 would be on TV every week because none of those kids are on athletic scholarship.  Fans want to see the best of the best.  That's why the Power 5 conferences have all of the TV contracts while the MAC is on ESPN+ streaming services or relegated to Wednesday night.

The moment people begin to acknowledge that this is a business, and a very large one at that, is the moment we can have an honest conversation.

You guys still are still missing my point.

If there were, say, a minor league for football that took the top talent from high school, that would mean the ENTIRETY of college football would have a lower skill level. It wouldn't affect one team specifically. Hell yes, winning would still matter. But the best teams would have guys who ran 4.6s instead of 4.4s. And absolutely nobody would care. That's my point.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Your talking points are SO BAD, Cole. Man, alive. You just have a loose collection of buzzwords and correlations that make no sense. Argue the nuts and bolts of why the third string receiver at Arkansas State deserves 50k a season all you want. But don't use a bunch of woke-nation social media drivel. 

You're the one that tried to start the stupidity, I can't help what you type and what you show. And you keep trying to sensationalize this point about a position player making whatever which is dumb as hell. One of your points was they get a scholarship......so you don't think those players deserve scholarships?

Next funny thing is it's not your money.....who cares what you think what players deserve?

Just now, cole256 said:

You're the one that tried to start the stupidity, I can't help what you type and what you show. And you keep trying to sensationalize this point about a position player making whatever which is dumb as hell. One of your points was they get a scholarship......so you don't think those players deserve scholarships?

Next funny thing is it's not your money.....who cares what you think what players deserve?

They absolutely deserve a scholarship - the literal only feasible way to compensate players. You are arguing pretty hard for a guy that hasn't even begun to talk about how the system could work. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You guys still are still missing my point.

If there were, say, a minor league for football that took the top talent from high school, that would mean the ENTIRETY of college football would have a lower skill level. It wouldn't affect one team specifically. Hell yes, winning would still matter. But the best teams would have guys who ran 4.6s instead of 4.4s. And absolutely nobody would care. That's my point.

And I'm telling you, your point is wrong.  Part of the reason college football is so big is that it IS the NFL's feeder system.  You are seeing the NFL's next generation on Saturday.  Remove that and you lose a ton of casual interest.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

And I'm telling you, your point is wrong.  Part of the reason college football is so big is that it IS the NFL's feeder system.  You are seeing the NFL's next generation on Saturday.  Remove that and you lose a ton of casual interest.

Explain how college baseball has any fans, then. The best players sign out of high school. We just lost the kid from Madison Academy to the Orioles. Was you watching and going to 2020 Auburn baseball games contingent on Gunnar Henderson being on the field? Or are you going to support Auburn no matter who is playing?

Just now, AUght2win said:

They absolutely deserve a scholarship - the literal only feasible way to compensate players. You are arguing pretty hard for a guy that hasn't even begun to talk about how the system could work. 

So they deserve a scholarship worth 100,000 just not a 100,000. Lol man go to sleep. 

I'm not arguing how it could work but it's easy as hell shooting holes as to why you say it can't work. I can't explain to you what all goes into our traffic system as far as when and where to build roads either but it works. 

You keep trying to fallback on weak logic

Now winning doesn't matter lol. Auburn will sell out every game no matter what....then why do you say you care that bammer can offer money to players???

CFBs status as an amateur sport ended long ago. To think otherwise is naive. Star players are zipping around in $60000 sports cars and wearing gold chains and watches worth thousands. The transfer portal: aka free agency is a game changer too. We are well beyond $50 handshakes. Whether the Cali law passes or not, CFB as we know and love it is going to be unrecognizable in the near future. 

18 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Damn... this thread sure did go to hell...

LOL.

(not directed at you Maverick)  There is an idea of fairness that I don't want to be callous to.  But we need to answer a fundamental question: the big money (media rights, ticket sales, licensing/merchandising, secondary sales food/drink...) --- who does this money belong to? The University or the university's sports program?  I say the university and the university's brand/trademark.  So how do you compensate those who contribute value to your brand - trademark? (A legetimate question to be sure)  Unregulated compensation will lead to bidding wars and the sport will collapse.  No one is interested in seeing your semi pro team beat down a collegiate amateur team.  There is already SEC/Bama/Clemson fatigue and somehow enhancing these programs with paid professionals will help?  A negotiated rate by the hour for playing time?  What about scout teams? Unfair!  What about unprofitable sports? Unfair!  Heck if Bama wants to become a Falcons farm team - they can have at it.  They can get farm team pay which, i venture to say is much less than the value of their current scholarships.  See there is the core of the problem - players see the money but they aren't evaluating their value.. Basically you consider a collegiate pro team is the equivalent of a farm team, the grandeur wears off - and I mean quickly.  So you have to recognize that MOST of the value is in the institutions brand and that most money's generated are based on institutional loyalty.  I'm done - tapping out.

Just now, cole256 said:

And little Julie who is a legacy and got scholarships out of her ass even though she's just an average student isn't any better than the guy who has to spend 15 hours of his day doing what he's told. 

Or little Julie who is the first person in her family to ever go to college cause she busts her ass for a better life, and is pulling straight A's in a legit major, and if we are being jerks about it actually met the academic requirements to get into Auburn.

But your right, dump all the athletic scholarship stuff, pay the player 30k a year, and let them apply for the same scholarships Julie got. No issue with that.

I was a D1 athlete till injury. Also before the NCAA put in time restrictions. I did the work in college/debt thing also. I'm taking the athlete route everyday all day without question if it is what an AU football player gets. I didn't get full rides, unlimited organic meals, apartment with 40 plus inch flat screens and washer and dryers, top tutor's, flights to everywhere, tons of free gear, gift bags with iphones and beats headphones and awesome gift cards, and luxury hotels. Lol, and if I did show up as a freshmen and couldn't perform the basic skills of the sport... like catching a ball that hits you in hands.... You were gone fast.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Explain how college baseball has any fans, then. The best players sign out of high school. We just lost the kid from Madison Academy to the Orioles. Was you watching and going to 2020 Auburn baseball games contingent on Gunnar Henderson being on the field? Or are you going to support Auburn no matter who is playing?

Except not all of the best players go pro out of high school.  Many, like Tanner Burns, go to college despite big money offers in the draft.

And you're not making a good argument.  College baseball is only popular in one part of the country.  Its at best the 3rd, but more likely the 4th or 5th most popular college sport (women's basketball gets more money and fans overall).  Baseball is right about the same popularity as college hockey.

Just now, cole256 said:

So they deserve a scholarship worth 100,000 just not a 100,000. Lol man go to sleep. 

I'm not arguing how it could work but it's easy as hell shooting holes as to why you say it can't work. I can't explain to you what all goes into our traffic system as far as when and where to build roads either but it works. 

You keep trying to fallback on weak logic

The old saying is "Don't pitch a problem without a solution." The problem you have is players not getting paid. You do not yet have a sound solution to said problem. 

And no, it'd be $200,000 I suppose. More at some schools such as Vanderbilt or Stanford or Duke. Money on top of a scholarship. Considering there's no way that a forfeiture of scholarship is a part of any proposal. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Now winning doesn't matter lol. Auburn will sell out every game no matter what....then why do you say you care that bammer can offer money to players???

Boy, you're not very good at reading. 

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The old saying is "Don't pitch a problem without a solution." The problem you have is players not getting paid. You do not yet have a sound solution to said problem. 

And no, it'd be $200,000 I suppose. More at some schools such as Vanderbilt or Stanford or Duke. Money on top of a scholarship. Considering there's no way that a forfeiture of scholarship is a part of any proposal. 

Even more money makes my point

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Do your damn job!

Don't want to be to quick on the draw plus I haven't received my paycheck in weeks...............................maybe you need a vacation :poke: 

Archived