Idea of paying players

TigerHorn

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Boy, you're not very good at reading. 

You sure can talk alot without addressing any questions or answers. Very talented at saying the same thing over and over using different words.....

See I can do it too

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My solution would be a stipend based on a percentage of the total pot of earnings that NCAA Football makes in a year. Divide it evenly. Tua makes as much as the kicker at Wyoming. Might be 12k one year, 11k another. But I don't know where you take that money from. Reroute it from the schools? Reroute it from the TV companies would be the best bet, properly. Sort of a tax for profiting off amateur athletes. 

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Because it's 2019 and someone is losing an argument. 

You are the one who brought up slavery.....you're the one who also said I don't want to get political.....then hopped to it......Second time mind you

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

My solution would be a stipend based on a percentage of the total pot of earnings that NCAA Football makes in a year. Divide it evenly. Tua makes as much as the kicker at Wyoming. Might be 12k one year, 11k another. But I don't know where you take that money from. Reroute it from the schools? Reroute it from the TV companies would be the best bet, properly. Sort of a tax for profiting off amateur athletes. 

this response not directed at you but to enhance the absurdity of the NCAA paying.  I did that calculation it's 89 dollars and 13 cents from the NCAA for 2018.  That's assuming 100% distribution with no retained earnings.  NCAA retained 41 million after expenses for managing 460,000 athletes.   This is not the money stream you're looking for.

Was able to find this when people start asking where all that money goes to. This is from 2017 and this is how much a single football player's upkeep cost at Auburn University that year.

Bowl-eligible Division I universities have annual per-student academic spending of $15,615.But Auburn spends $511,745 a year per scholarship football player, according to the Knight Commission’s database

https://theundefeated.com/features/spending-gap-for-football-players-vs-nonathletes-by-bowl-eligible-schools-is-enormous/

And those dudes can't even block!

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And auburn makes 137,000,000 on a down fiscal year lol

Yes it's accounted for in the general budget.  100% accurate.  Adding sports payroll will consume part of that 137mil.  Yes.  The shortage in the general budget will now be covered by ???   Tuition increase maybe?  .2 mil Alabama sales tax? 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You are the one who brought up slavery.....you're the one who also said I don't want to get political.....then hopped to it......Second time mind you

Yes, as an example of stupid talking points, strawman arguments, and wildly inaccurate comparisons. Says a lot you actually took it and ran with it. 

15 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Or little Julie who is the first person in her family to ever go to college cause she busts her ass for a better life, and is pulling straight A's in a legit major, and if we are being jerks about it actually met the academic requirements to get into Auburn.

But your right, dump all the athletic scholarship stuff, pay the player 30k a year, and let them apply for the same scholarships Julie got. No issue with that.

I was a D1 athlete till injury. Also before the NCAA put in time restrictions. I did the work in college/debt thing also. I'm taking the athlete route everyday all day without question if it is what an AU football player gets. I didn't get full rides, unlimited organic meals, apartment with 40 plus inch flat screens and washer and dryers, top tutor's, flights to everywhere, tons of free gear, gift bags with iphones and beats headphones and awesome gift cards, and luxury hotels. Lol, and if I did show up as a freshmen and couldn't perform the basic skills of the sport... like catching a ball that hits you in hands.... You were gone fast.

Lol some of the athletes actually have brains....they are students too, and let them miss practice and see how far that goes. You made that D1 life seem alot better than it really is.....nah I'll take the daddy went to college college here scholarship, then join the family frat get that money and be an ambassador at the school before anything

8 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

this response not directed at you but to enhance the absurdity of the NCAA paying.  I did that calculation it's 89 dollars and 13 cents from the NCAA for 2018.  That's assuming 100% distribution with no retained earnings.  NCAA retained 41 million after expenses for managing 460,000 athletes.   This is not the money stream you're looking for.

Well, there you go.

9 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

The NCAA as an organization makes nothing off of FBS football.  The largest revenue driver, by far, for the NCAA is the men's hoops tournament.

The schools and conferences keep money from football.

Just now, AUght2win said:

Yes, as an example of stupid talking points, strawman arguments, and wildly inaccurate comparisons. Says a lot you actually took it and ran with it. 

You're really going to have to beef up your posts for you to become an intellectual and speak down.

The fact that was what you couldn't wait to do for the SECOND time mind you shows alot about you actually

5 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

Yes it's accounted for in the general budget.  100% accurate.  Adding sports payroll will consume part of that 137mil.  Yes.  The shortage in the general budget will now be covered by ???   Tuition increase maybe?  .2 mil Alabama sales tax? 

Sports payroll? This money is just football

Just now, cole256 said:

Lol some of the athletes actually have brains....they are students too, and let them miss practice and see how far that goes. You made that D1 life seem alot better than it really is.....nah I'll take the daddy went to college college here scholarship, then join the family frat get that money and be an ambassador at the school before anything

You are the one that started in with the stereotyping man.

You know what?? Doesn't matter. You guys don't want them to make money because you don't want them to have it. Period. Shut up and play. I gotcha. I'm not going to change your mind with something like that. It's not about logic. That's more systemic than anything and why would you care to change it anyway? Doesn't really effect you. I got it, I'm out!

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

How tf am I the one?

I don't know, maybe cause Julie was automatically this legacy that just got all her stuff handed. Pretty much the stereotyping of many many women at Auburn.

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

You know what?? Doesn't matter. You guys don't want them to make money because you don't want them to have it. Period. Shut up and play. I gotcha. I'm not going to change your mind with something like that. It's not about logic. That's more systemic than anything and why would you care to change it anyway? Doesn't really effect you. I got it, I'm out!

Do you really, honestly believe that? Honestly? This scares me that people think like that. 

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

I don't know, maybe cause Julie was automatically this legacy that just got all her stuff handed. Pretty much the stereotyping of many many women at Auburn.

So you can stereotype the football player and build Julie up to be a saint then when I did what you did but flipped it.......I started it.....I literally replied AFTER you. But ok

Do you really, honestly believe that? Honestly? This scares me that people think like that. 

We're good. We're done

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I am totally on board with dumping or revamping the NCAA. They are outrageously weird with their rules. I just don't like the very vague idea of "paying players". Doesn't work on any level. 

NCAA is wack in a lot of ways. I don’t understand their transfer decisions. They’ll deny someone who has a dying mother but let Justin Fields go anywhere he damn well feels like going.

Just now, Zeek said:

NCAA is wack in a lot of ways. I don’t understand their transfer decisions. They’ll deny someone who has a dying mother but let Justin Fields go anywhere he damn well feels like going.

The NCAA sucks. My theory is they want the illusion of authority, but in actuality they are toothless. That's where the phrase "Bama cheats and Troy gets probation" comes from. They want people to know they've got the badge, but they don't actually have the stones to stand up to the big brands like UNC, Alabama, etc. At least, not anymore. The money is too huge now. The NCAA realizes that these colleges have absolutely outgrown their organization. 

The NCAA sucks. My theory is they want the illusion of authority, but in actuality they are toothless. That's where the phrase "Bama cheats and Troy gets probation" comes from. They want people to know they've got the badge, but they don't actually have the stones to stand up to the big brands like UNC, Alabama, etc. At least, not anymore. The money is too huge now. The NCAA realizes that these colleges have absolutely outgrown their organization. 

They absolutely hosed Penn State and Joe Peterno’s legacy. They absolutely assaulted UNC repeatedly. Meanwhile Alabama is buying cars, paying players, and committing everything short of murder. Hell, they practically have student prostitutes they set up recruits with.

I earnestly wish the death penalty on that program. It’s like a movie where the bad guy keeps winning without any comeuppance.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

They absolutely hosed Penn State and Joe Peterno’s legacy. They absolutely assaulted UNC repeatedly. Meanwhile Alabama is buying cars, paying players, and committing everything short of murder. Hell, they practically have student prostitutes they set up recruits with.

I earnestly wish the death penalty on that program. It’s like a movie where the bad guy keeps winning without any comeuppance.

But didn't they lift the Penn State ban early? And didn't UNC dodge the latest huge scandal? The NCAA is totally different now than it was 20 years ago at least in terms of enforcement. Really, as a whole it's different.

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So you can stereotype the football player and build Julie up to be a saint then when I did what you did but flipped it.......I started it.....I literally replied AFTER you. But ok

You need to go back and check that order.

Quick review. I stated catching a ball didn't make someone better than someone slinging drinks and getting hit on by drunks. They are both students, they are both doing jobs, they both earn money for an individual. I didn't stereotype a football player. Athletes can have jobs, there is additional financial aid they can apply for in addition to their scholarships in the form of grants and financial needs.

Julie then became the legacy mediocre student just handed scholarships.

It went on from there.

Lol why would I lead off with trashing D1 athletes when I was one. BTW, tell us about your D1 experience since you are calling others out on theirs?

Archived