View from a Pessimist

lost

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Nothing new here that hasn’t been beaten to death! Stop with the new threads on things said in literally every other one!

If you disagree, feel free not to click or post

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

@lost I AM GONNA ADD THIS TO YOUR THREAD AS I see it fitting without creating a new one to ruin Todd’s day! 🥳

I have repeatedly see posters say that we are purposely running a vanilla offense.  Having watched every game numerous times that Gus has coached I really have not notice a difference.  Lots of the same plays at the same time, formations and motion giving away plays.  Besides some of his Waterboy-esque trick plays which role out through the season.  How has his play calling been vanilla and different from any other game?

@bigbird what have u seen?

Same plays, same formations, same play rhythm, and same tendencies that we have seen under Gus, Rhett, Chip, and Gus 2.0

The only difference is the ability of the OL.

6 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Not a coach, but I'd say the more looks and complexity you show would translate to more information the opposing team has to decipher and retain. All while being tired and emotions running high, crowd noise etc. I'm of the mind that running more plays in games is essentially practice. Perfecting the execution and implementation in an imperfect environment. Running the plays in practice while in a comfort zone among your own team is completely different than in a uncomfortable environment against another team. My 2 cents.

To add on, assuming all opponents are equal, your base offense is your base offense. There are things you do with the base offense that allow for counter punches to be designed or adjusted for before or during a game. Each week you have a new opponent, you likely add a few plays that you feel will work effectively based on the team you’re facing. 

With Gus, it’s even more important for the base offense to work as the built in tendencies and personnel alignments are what the staff looks at to determine when a counter punch is taken and what exactly that counter punch play is. When the base offense is struggling it puts more pressure on either the run or passing game. Generally it’s been the running game failing which puts pressure on the passing game. This is the worst case scenario because the base passing offense is simplistic and most of the 15+ yd route designs are longer developing and mostly off play action. Just go watch some 2015 and 2016 film and see how many times we run play action on 3rd and long. It’s brutal.  

1 hour ago, CodeRocket said:

Have you looked at the buyout at the end of this season plus the money owed to assistants? We may well lose five games but I think he will be back in (2020). My guess is that a new facility, the existing staff financial obligations, and the cost of a new coaching staff might be north of (90) million. Yikes!

Yep if that happens, we are likely looking at an end to the football only facility again for a while. 

We have a weird way of reacting to being 2-0 (covering the spread in both games mind you) with a neutral site win over a top 15 team and ranked at #8 in the country all while putting together an outstanding recruiting class. This team has some improvement to make, but I just can't understand the sky is falling mentality at this point. Any objective audit of the health of the program would give it a pretty good grade. 

In his tenure we have won the west twice (in six seasons), won the league once and played for a natty. Only other school to win the west in his tenure has been bama. We have been ranked in the top ten at some point in EVERY season that Gus has been the head coach and twice finished the season in the top 10. 

He has done this in at a time when your in state rival is on one of the greatest runs in college football history. 

I want to win every game as much as every other Auburn fan, but this program is not in the shape that many portray it. That fact won't change based on the outcome of any single game. 

Also, keep in mind it is highly likely that Tennessee and FSU will both be replacing coaches at the end of this season if things keep up at this point. Also, ask UCLA how its going after hitting a home run on a coaching hire. 

45 minutes ago, lost said:

Funny.   Most everyone i have talked to called that calling him out.  The coach, offensive coordinator having to be instructed by the line to allow them to "run" the ball?   That is about as close to calling out as you can get.  Especially a coach who is known for not trusting his players.  I am not a Gus hater  I have always backed him and still do.  But he is stubborn, uncommonly so.  We have compared him to Saban, but he does not have the success to back up that stubbornness

I don't see how you would interpret it that way.  If that was calling him out it would have been if we were not running the ball at all in the first half.  In the first half we were running the ball probably too much, and without success.  The offensive line was not moving Oregon's line and they were a little frustrated and embarrassed.  That is what caused Gus to say that.  Why would Gus even imply he was called out by his own players anyways?  It set up a lot of third and long situations.  You also took that quote out of context as well.  Here is another quote after the game from Whitlow to help put into context of what that quote meant:

"They finally put their nose down and told Oregon, 'You're not gonna whoop us.' Yeah, I give that to the o-line, Mike and them.”

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Thanks 

1 hour ago, lost said:

Funny.   Most everyone i have talked to called that calling him out.  The coach, offensive coordinator having to be instructed by the line to allow them to "run" the ball?   That is about as close to calling out as you can get.  Especially a coach who is known for not trusting his players.  I am not a Gus hater  I have always backed him and still do.  But he is stubborn, uncommonly so.  We have compared him to Saban, but he does not have the success to back up that stubbornness

Calling someone out is publicly holding that person accountable for words/actions and/or being critical of them. The OL was simply providing feedback from the field on how they wanted to attack the Oregon defense. And it’s no different than a RB or a WR saying that they want the ball.

11 minutes ago, GreenDrazi said:

Calling someone out is publicly holding that person accountable for words/actions and/or being critical of them. The OL was simply providing feedback from the field on how they wanted to attack the Oregon defense. And it’s no different than a RB or a WR saying that they want the ball.

Half time oline. 'C'mon, coach. Let's run the ball down their throats in the second half. We can do it'

vs

Post game oline. 'I don't know the answer to why we went away from that. We were getting push You need to ask the guy calling the plays'

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I don't see how you would interpret it that way.  If that was calling him out it would have been if we were not running the ball at all in the first half.  In the first half we were running the ball probably too much, and without success.  The offensive line was not moving Oregon's line and they were a little frustrated and embarrassed.  That is what caused Gus to say that.  Why would Gus even imply he was called out by his own players anyways?  It set up a lot of third and long situations.  You also took that quote out of context as well.  Here is another quote after the game from Whitlow to help put into context of what that quote meant:

"They finally put their nose down and told Oregon, 'You're not gonna whoop us.' Yeah, I give that to the o-line, Mike and them.”

I took that quote directly from an al.com story. Transcript of what Gus said at his news conference.  The whole story is still in their archives 

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

We have a weird way of reacting to being 2-0 (covering the spread in both games mind you) with a neutral site win over a top 15 team and ranked at #8 in the country all while putting together an outstanding recruiting class. This team has some improvement to make, but I just can't understand the sky is falling mentality at this point. Any objective audit of the health of the program would give it a pretty good grade. 

In his tenure we have won the west twice (in six seasons), won the league once and played for a natty. Only other school to win the west in his tenure has been bama. We have been ranked in the top ten at some point in EVERY season that Gus has been the head coach and twice finished the season in the top 10. 

He has done this in at a time when your in state rival is on one of the greatest runs in college football history. 

I want to win every game as much as every other Auburn fan, but this program is not in the shape that many portray it. That fact won't change based on the outcome of any single game. 

Also, keep in mind it is highly likely that Tennessee and FSU will both be replacing coaches at the end of this season if things keep up at this point. Also, ask UCLA how its going after hitting a home run on a coaching hire. 

Auburn fans have been conditioned to expect the worst due to wildly inconsistent past performances under Gus. When the worst isn't happening, some fans try to make things seem worse by b!tch!ng and complaining about relatively petty stuff. Yes, Gus is stubborn, yes the substitution rule kinda whacked his Hurry-Up Nads off a few years back, yes whiffing on Jeremy Johnson and crapping himself in O-Line recruiting has put him back offensively a bit. But, he's rich and we're kinda stuck with him. 2-0 and I think we can and will improve on offense through the season. What the translates to in W's an L's I don't know. But I like being 2-0 a lot better right meow than being 1-1 or 0-2.

1 minute ago, lost said:

I took that quote directly from an al.com story. Transcript of what Gus said at his news conference.  The whole story is still in their archives 

I know where you got it and it is in fact a real quote.  It was misinterpreted however.  That is why I added Boobie's quote to help dissipate to confusion. 

18 hours ago, lost said:

No one is questioning the veracity of the quote. It's just that the sentiments expressed in the quote do not meet most people's definition of "calling him out." To me, if the quote had read,

"Yeah, well when we got in the locker room, Prince Tega stood up on a bench and said: 'Hey, coach...when you finished cleansing your female parts, how about calling some forking run plays next half? We can wear them little female puppies out if we just run it up they donkey. So, how bout it, coach??? How about running it up they donkey on this Summer's Eve...?'"

That, to me, would be more akin to "calling him out."

1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

No one is questioning the veracity of the quote. It's just that the sentiments expressed in the quote do not meet most people's definition of "calling him out." To me, if the quote had read,

"Yeah, well when we got in the locker room, Prince Tega stood up on a bench and said: 'Hey, coach...when you finished cleansing your female parts, how about calling some forking run plays next half? We can wear them little female puppy ducks out if we just run it up they feathered donkey. So, how bout it, coach??? How about running it up they donkey on this Summer's Eve...?'"

That, to me, would be more akin to "calling him out."

Man you really had that quote ready to go!  I can tell you had that one primed for a very long time.  :laugh:

13 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Man you really had that quote ready to go!  I can tell you had that one primed for a very long time.  :laugh:

Naw, totally off the cuff. Although I was pleased with how it came full-circle with the tasteful Summer's Eve reference at the end lol.

This whole "hide part of the offense or don't run up the score" idea seems to be somewhat new to AU. I believe CTT was the first to do this - and it almost cost him a few games when opponents mounted a comeback. Under the last of the CSJ years and under CPD we would beat weaker opponents by 30+ points. Running our entire offense from game 1 helps the offense to perfect it's technique more than it aids future opponents. The SEC west teams know CGM's entire playbook already - they haven't forgotten it from the previous 6 seasons. So what are we hiding and how could it surprise our opponents when we spring a QB keep on a zone read? They know it's coming. The beauty lies in getting the O in a rhythm and the defense on their heels so they have no idea what play is coming next. They may know the AU playbook, but the opposing DC should be unsure what D to call because they have no clue which specific play is coming next. Our O has become too predictable. The D is rarely in the wrong play. Then we rely on the athleticism of a workhorse running back to make a play.

Malzahn is Malzahn and thats all he will ever be. The most  distressing thing that I heard today is about the interview with Bob Stoops where he left the door open to coach college football again. It makes me sad to think about what we do have, and maybe, just maybe what we could have

7 hours ago, lost said:

If you have read my posts on here you probably already sense I am more a pessimist than optimist.  Starting the season I had picked AU to garner 8-9 wins.  I know it is early in the season and we have have won both games so far.  We beat a good Oregon and good Tulane team.  That should have settled any doubts, but the way we won have caused my pessimistic side to rise up again.  Now i wonder if we are able to win 8?  I realistically see 5 losses possibly in the future, starting with the Aggies.  

I think we have the weapons offensively to win 9 games, even with the ones hurt.  I don't think we have a coach who is willing to step out of his comfort zone and use them in the proper manner.  To have Shiver, Boobee, Martin, Miller and Joiner available and only be willing to use them in packages is ridiculous.  Everybody in the stadium knows the play when they trot in.  To have 2 qb's and refuse to allow BOTH free reign of the offense , or again to bring one in and only allow him to run a set play is cancer to your offense.

I believe Bo is a very capable qb,WHO  in a top offense , would be a superstar.  But Gus may ruin him if he does not allow him to grow.  The playcalling has been awful, and even his own team called him out against Oregon.  If there is no change and he( Coach Malzhan) continues to believe he can run 3-4 plays and do what he did in 2013, we will lose 5 games and he will be gone.   I believe Gatewood has superb talent and it needs to be utilized also with Bo.

We don't though.  

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Have to agree.  I've always felt the mods could MODerate which posts and threads stay and go.  When we hop on each other about their job, we just look silly at worst and superior at worst.  #nobesthere

Archived