Sign in to follow this  
lost

View from a Pessimist

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Care to  elaborate on the weapons Auburn does not have?

AU does not have championship caliber talent at a single position on offense.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Dislike 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




26 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

AU does not have championship caliber talent at a single position on offense.

That's it? That is all you can come up with? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SumterAubie said:

That's it? That is all you can come up with? 

I could also criticize how they're being developed and utilized, if you'd like.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I could also criticize how they're being developed and utilized, if you'd like.

You have yet to support your first statement. Why would I want another generalization from you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

AU does not have championship caliber talent at a single position on offense.

False

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know I'm interested in this, who all on offense is a championship type player. I'm thinking maybe Seth? 

But a championship team is alot more than individual talent......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

We have a weird way of reacting to being 2-0 (covering the spread in both games mind you) with a neutral site win over a top 15 team and ranked at #8 in the country all while putting together an outstanding recruiting class. This team has some improvement to make, but I just can't understand the sky is falling mentality at this point. Any objective audit of the health of the program would give it a pretty good grade. 

In his tenure we have won the west twice (in six seasons), won the league once and played for a natty. Only other school to win the west in his tenure has been bama. We have been ranked in the top ten at some point in EVERY season that Gus has been the head coach and twice finished the season in the top 10. 

He has done this in at a time when your in state rival is on one of the greatest runs in college football history. 

I want to win every game as much as every other Auburn fan, but this program is not in the shape that many portray it. That fact won't change based on the outcome of any single game. 

 

Also, keep in mind it is highly likely that Tennessee and FSU will both be replacing coaches at the end of this season if things keep up at this point. Also, ask UCLA how its going after hitting a home run on a coaching hire. 

 

 

There are reasons to keep or fire a coach but what other schools are looking is not a reason for keeping a coach.  

And the fact that mistakes are made as you mention with the UCLA coach is also not a reason for keeping a coach.  Sure mistakes can be made but what about georgia and ND making apparent good hires.   And give the UCLA coach some lead way.  He is in only his first or second year not enough time to ascertain how successful he will be.  In addition, if only reason Auburn is keeping a coach just because we are scared of making a mistake is rather gutless.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Also, ask UCLA how its going after hitting a home run on a coaching hire. 

Chip Kelly a home run hire? Nope, that ball went way foul down the right field line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Carnell said:

if only reason Auburn is keeping a coach just because we are scared of making a mistake is rather gutless.

could be but firing a coach when  there are  no better prospects available is stupid.   Getting a successful coach is not easy.....how many coaches has USCw had since Pete Carroll....or UT, or even ND which has gone through a number of coaches before getting the current guy.  

I just trust that all the AU fans wanting to dump Gus are ready for him to be replaced by  a Willie Taggart, or Jeremy Pruitt or Rich Rodriquez....or heaven forbid,  Charlie Weiss. Odds are pretty good that we will end up with someone like that.   JMO

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

could be but firing a coach when  there are  no better prospects available is stupid.   Getting a successful coach is not easy.....how many coaches has USCw had since Pete Carroll....or UT, or even ND which has gone through a number of coaches before getting the current guy.  

I just trust that all the AU fans wanting to dump Gus are ready for him to be replaced by  a Willie Taggart, or Jeremy Pruitt or Rich Rodriquez....or heaven forbid,  Charlie Weiss. Odds are pretty good that we will end up with someone like that.   JMO

I can think of several canadiates that are better prospects than Gus.  Dennis Allen and Josh McDaniels are just two.  Any coach that has 4 or 5 years as coordinators at schools in the power 5 conference or the NFL is  better prospect than a high school coach.  

In addition, you show little faith in Auburn athletic department by saying we probably end up with rich rod or Charlie weiss.  I have more faith in Alan greene to do a through analysis and pick a coach.

The only thing I agree with you on is picking a coach is not easy but I dont agree with you picking a coach is hard so let's not do anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It still amazes me that we are 2-0 and folks already want to fire the coach. Can we at least lose a game or 2 before you guys try and run the coach out of town on a rail? We beat 2 pretty good teams and covered the spread each time. Let me explain that in case some folks don't understand what that means...we beat these teams by more points that the experts and money folks believed we would beat them by (yes, I'm being a smart butt, I know you know what it means). Spelled out, that means we were better than expected. And yet, we got folks contemplating a mental dive off Haley Center or the end of the world. Oregon beat a Nevada team that beat Purdue by 71 points (77-6). This was a team that, at the time, was ranked higher than Auburn. You can argue that our defense is the only reason we were in a position to win the game in the end and you won't get an argument from me. But it was the offense that scored the 3 second half touchdowns to get the win, not the defense as great as they were. You can even argue that the offensive line sucks and I won't challenge you on that but to already be throwing in the towel before we even suffered a knock-down seems pretty defeatist to me. Do I think Gus made some bad calls in both games, heck yes I do. Do I think that if the O-line would've executed a little better the margin of victory would've been even bigger, heck yes also. Sometimes a play looks bad and ends bad because players don't execute, plain and simple. Did we see this same line execute in the same crappy way last year, heck yes we did. I guess we just expected them to be better from the experience of it but that might not be so. We'll just have to see what happens. But talking about getting rid of a coach when he hasn't lost a game yet seems a little premature and immature to me. And yes, I know that nobody said that specifically or had a fire Gus hash tag in their post. But if not that then what was your point? OK I'm through, go ahead and blast away, call me a sunshine-pumper if you like (even though I'm not sure I did any pumping either) but as you do so please point out which part of anything I said that is not true. I just don't think it's time to step to the edge yet, that's all.

Edited by AuJoe
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, AuJoe said:

It still amazes me that we are 2-0 and folks already want to fire the coach. Can we at least lose a game or 2 before you guys try and run the coach out of town on a rail? We beat 2 pretty good teams and covered the spread each time. Let me explain that in case some folks don't understand what that means...we beat these teams by more points that the experts and money folks believed we would beat them by (yes, I'm being a smart butt, I know you know what it means). Spelled out, that means we were better than expected. And yet, we got folks contemplating a mental dive off Haley Center or the end of the world. Oregon beat a Nevada team that beat Purdue by 71 points (77-6). This was a team that, at the time, was ranked higher than Auburn. You can argue that our defense is the only reason we were in a position to win the game in the end and you won't get an argument from me. But it was the offense that scored the 3 second half touchdowns to get the win, not the defense as great as they were. You can even argue that the offensive line sucks and I won't challenge you on that but to already be throwing in the towel before we even suffered a knock-down seems pretty defeatist to me. Do I think Gus made some bad calls in both games, heck yes I do. Do I think that if the O-line would've executed a little better the margin of victory would've been even bigger, heck yes also. Sometimes a play looks bad and ends bad because players don't execute, plain and simple. Did we see this same line execute in the same crappy way last year, heck yes we did. I guess we just expected them to be better from the experience of it but that might not be so. We'll just have to see what happens. But talking about getting rid of a coach when he hasn't lost a game yet seems a little premature and immature to me. And yes, I know that nobody said that specifically or had a fire Gus hash tag in their post. But if not that then what was your point? OK I'm through, go ahead and blast away, call me a sunshine-pumper if you like (even though I'm not sure I did any pumping either) but as you do so please point out which part of anything I said that is not true. I just don't think it's time to step to the edge yet, that's all.

Good luck with that

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before this becomes a "hate gus" fest, that was not my intention.   I will support him till he is replaced.  I will not be a sheeple , but i will support.  My thread is about how we got 2-0 and all that is surrounding it.  We will be 3-0 going into the A&M.  After that is what i am  unsure about.  Gus will be Gus, and I have to live with that.  Until i see some changes in personnel , some variables in his play calling, and some relaxation of his stubbornness in not trusting his players i will continue to believe we are headed for 4-5 losses.  I will say again.  We have the talent on offense to be good enough, as we don't have to be great.  The defense has that covered.

Edited by lost
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AuJoe said:

It still amazes me that we are 2-0 and folks already want to fire the coach. Can we at least lose a game or 2 before you guys try and run the coach out of town on a rail? We beat 2 pretty good teams and covered the spread each time. Let me explain that in case some folks don't understand what that means...we beat these teams by more points that the experts and money folks believed we would beat them by (yes, I'm being a smart butt, I know you know what it means). Spelled out, that means we were better than expected. And yet, we got folks contemplating a mental dive off Haley Center or the end of the world. Oregon beat a Nevada team that beat Purdue by 71 points (77-6). This was a team that, at the time, was ranked higher than Auburn. You can argue that our defense is the only reason we were in a position to win the game in the end and you won't get an argument from me. But it was the offense that scored the 3 second half touchdowns to get the win, not the defense as great as they were. You can even argue that the offensive line sucks and I won't challenge you on that but to already be throwing in the towel before we even suffered a knock-down seems pretty defeatist to me. Do I think Gus made some bad calls in both games, heck yes I do. Do I think that if the O-line would've executed a little better the margin of victory would've been even bigger, heck yes also. Sometimes a play looks bad and ends bad because players don't execute, plain and simple. Did we see this same line execute in the same crappy way last year, heck yes we did. I guess we just expected them to be better from the experience of it but that might not be so. We'll just have to see what happens. But talking about getting rid of a coach when he hasn't lost a game yet seems a little premature and immature to me. And yes, I know that nobody said that specifically or had a fire Gus hash tag in their post. But if not that then what was your point? OK I'm through, go ahead and blast away, call me a sunshine-pumper if you like (even though I'm not sure I did any pumping either) but as you do so please point out which part of anything I said that is not true. I just don't think it's time to step to the edge yet, that's all.

It's not that we want Gus fired. However we see the same issues we have had for 5 years. Talking about them doesn't make us Gus haters. It makes us objective. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lost said:

Before this becomes a "hate gus" fest, that was not my intention.   I will support him till he is replaced.  I will not be a sheeple , but i will support.  My thread is about how we got 2-0 and all that is surrounding it.  We will be 3-0 going into the A&M.  After that is what i am  unsure about.  Gus will be Gus, and I have to live with that.  Until i see some changes in personnel , some variables in his play calling, and some relaxation of his stubbornness in not trusting his players i will continue to believe we are headed for 4-5 losses.  I will say again.  We have the talent on offense to be good enough, as we don't have to be great.  The defense has that covered.

All off season a majority of us have had a wait and see attitude. Gus was saying all the right things, just like he has the previous 5 years, but we were cautious. After the first two games, the issues we were concerned about and assured by Gus to be fixed are still showing out during games. I think threads and comments about these issues are the manifestation of the frustration and the disappointment of seeing the same issues. I'm still in my Missouri State of mind, but it's turning quickly into a movie I've seen 100 times.

I want Gus to prove me wrong. I want us to be dominant and stop wasting talent. TAMU and UF will show us what we have and if Gus has changed. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AuJoe said:

It still amazes me that we are 2-0 and folks already want to fire the coach. Can we at least lose a game or 2 before you guys try and run the coach out of town on a rail? We beat 2 pretty good teams and covered the spread each time. Let me explain that in case some folks don't understand what that means...we beat these teams by more points that the experts and money folks believed we would beat them by (yes, I'm being a smart butt, I know you know what it means). Spelled out, that means we were better than expected. And yet, we got folks contemplating a mental dive off Haley Center or the end of the world. Oregon beat a Nevada team that beat Purdue by 71 points (77-6). This was a team that, at the time, was ranked higher than Auburn. You can argue that our defense is the only reason we were in a position to win the game in the end and you won't get an argument from me. But it was the offense that scored the 3 second half touchdowns to get the win, not the defense as great as they were. You can even argue that the offensive line sucks and I won't challenge you on that but to already be throwing in the towel before we even suffered a knock-down seems pretty defeatist to me. Do I think Gus made some bad calls in both games, heck yes I do. Do I think that if the O-line would've executed a little better the margin of victory would've been even bigger, heck yes also. Sometimes a play looks bad and ends bad because players don't execute, plain and simple. Did we see this same line execute in the same crappy way last year, heck yes we did. I guess we just expected them to be better from the experience of it but that might not be so. We'll just have to see what happens. But talking about getting rid of a coach when he hasn't lost a game yet seems a little premature and immature to me. And yes, I know that nobody said that specifically or had a fire Gus hash tag in their post. But if not that then what was your point? OK I'm through, go ahead and blast away, call me a sunshine-pumper if you like (even though I'm not sure I did any pumping either) but as you do so please point out which part of anything I said that is not true. I just don't think it's time to step to the edge yet, that's all.

If the issues most anyone has with Gus and/or the state of the program just started this year, I’d be in complete agreement with you. Unfortunately that’s not the case and that’s the crux of the problem. How we’ve played this year is only a part of the bigger picture. Would you care to discuss his record against our main rivals or even our overall league record in his 7 years?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Odds are pretty good that we will end up with someone like that.

There is absolutely no evidence or logic that supports this. A few of you guys just keep saying it, though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's not that we want Gus fired. However we see the same issues we have had for 5 years. Talking about them doesn't make us Gus haters. It makes us objective. 

Bird, You had to be impressed with the way Gus used Martin in the 2nd quarter of the Tulane game before the touchdown to Hastings. You know the passes to him out of the backfield in space. That didn't happen last year that I recall.

Edited by creed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, drsteve87 said:

This whole "hide part of the offense or don't run up the score" idea seems to be somewhat new to AU. I believe CTT was the first to do this - and it almost cost him a few games when opponents mounted a comeback. Under the last of the CSJ years and under CPD we would beat weaker opponents by 30+ points. Running our entire offense from game 1 helps the offense to perfect it's technique more than it aids future opponents. The SEC west teams know CGM's entire playbook already - they haven't forgotten it from the previous 6 seasons. So what are we hiding and how could it surprise our opponents when we spring a QB keep on a zone read? They know it's coming. The beauty lies in getting the O in a rhythm and the defense on their heels so they have no idea what play is coming next. They may know the AU playbook, but the opposing DC should be unsure what D to call because they have no clue which specific play is coming next. Our O has become too predictable. The D is rarely in the wrong play. Then we rely on the athleticism of a workhorse running back to make a play.

You nailed this Dr Steve and if I had any more reactions left I'd have given you a "love".

You'd think a coach who seems to be so willing to pin lack of production on the lack of execution would, ya know, give the players game reps to increase the chances of them executing the plays in the important games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, creed said:

in the 2nd quarter of the Tulane game before the touchdown to Hastings

No offense, but how could anyone ever be impressed with Gus using a talented player this specifically and briefly?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

We have a weird way of reacting to being 2-0 (covering the spread in both games mind you) with a neutral site win over a top 15 team and ranked at #8 in the country all while putting together an outstanding recruiting class. This team has some improvement to make, but I just can't understand the sky is falling mentality at this point. Any objective audit of the health of the program would give it a pretty good grade. 

In his tenure we have won the west twice (in six seasons), won the league once and played for a natty. Only other school to win the west in his tenure has been bama. We have been ranked in the top ten at some point in EVERY season that Gus has been the head coach and twice finished the season in the top 10. 

He has done this in at a time when your in state rival is on one of the greatest runs in college football history. 

I want to win every game as much as every other Auburn fan, but this program is not in the shape that many portray it. That fact won't change based on the outcome of any single game. 

 

Also, keep in mind it is highly likely that Tennessee and FSU will both be replacing coaches at the end of this season if things keep up at this point. Also, ask UCLA how its going after hitting a home run on a coaching hire. 

 

 

You are acting as if we had played two Championship caliber teams and had blown them out. 

Yes we are 2-0 and ranked in the top 10 RIGHT NOW. But being ranked in the top 10 in the first month of the season is a LOT different than being in the top 10 of the final rankings. 

A lot of the early season top 10 rankings are meaningless if you don't finish that well. Also you have to consider the fact we have the SEC behind us. If you think we are the 8th best team in the country, you are going to be in for a rough time come November. 

16 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Have to agree.  I've always felt the mods could MODerate which posts and threads stay and go.  When we hop on each other about their job, we just look silly at worst and superior at worst.  #nobesthere

Yes because silencing people is always the best route to go. I get it if you are directly attacking someone. That should be removed.

But removing posts because they make you uncomfortable is always the best route right? /Sarcasm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No offense, but how could anyone ever be impressed with Gus using a talented player this specifically and briefly?

 

Kam Martin probably holds some resentment toward Art Briles for steering him towards AU once he was fired. I think Stidham may have too until he saw his road led him to the Patriots. JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, creed said:

Bird, You had to be impressed with the way Gus used Martin in the 2nd quarter of the Tulane game before the touchdown to Hastings. You know the passes to him out of the backfield in space. That didn't happen last year that I recall.

That was refreshing to see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Odds are pretty good that we will end up with someone like that.

me too......or i was until yesterday when i heard about the interview that bob stoops gave.....if the money is available( which i doubt) this would be the hire to make....otherwise, we might as well keep "high school harry" another year....he is not a bad coach, nor is he a good coach, so that leaves the obvious, he is an average coach....i just miss going into every game thinking we have a chance to win

Edited by doverstutts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Kam Martin probably holds some resentment toward Art Briles for steering him towards AU once he was fired. I think Stidham may have too until he saw his road led him to the Patriots. JMO

I would be. I get this vibe that he's okay with it, though. Maybe he never had serious NFL aspirations? Maybe he's one of those like Mario Fannin who was all AU and just genuinely happy to be here? I dunno. But I feel like he's at peace with it. 

It's okay, KMart. We'll keep being bitter for you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this