get ready for some .667 football

Swamp Eagle

19 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The frustration has been about Gus since '15. The fact is that Auburn wins and loses because of Gus and despite Gus. The players play hard for him and the recruits seem to love him. He's obviously got a relatable quality about him that the fans don't see. Fans see every mistake he makes under a magnifying glass and everything that goes wrong is most likely attributed to him. It's where many of us are as Auburn fans and I hate that it's that way. The offense looked better last night and really all we can expect is that they execute the plays that are called. The play calling isn't going to change but we are 3-0 and that's as good as the record could be at this point.

Just realized your avatar is from Yellowstone. Great show 👍

Yep Rip from Yellowstone.. riding for the brand.   CGM is a very frustrating coach but you are correct in pointing out how the players and recruits love him. I tend to be really harsh on him and I think it is justified in my opinion but I could be better at giving him props when they are due. I will say this.. his players don’t quit. They are not always the most prepared but they don’t quit on him.. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

For a team that has really struggled to establish a consistent run game coupled with a simplistic passing game and inconsistent TFr QB it should scare a lot of people. It should be winnable but...

Anybody that can put close the same type of athletes on the field. If you can match us with athletes.....well you know

1 minute ago, AuMarine said:

Yep Rip from Yellowstone.. riding for the brand.   CGM is a very frustrating coach but you are correct in pointing out how the players and recruits love him. I tend to be really harsh on him and I think it is justified in my opinion but I could be better at giving him props when they are due. I will say this.. his players don’t quit. They are not always the most prepared but they don’t quit on him.. 

I'm there with you. I lose patience with people who don't or won't learn from their mistakes. What we could really use are 5 offensive linemen with a "Rip" demeanor and attitude. 

1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

A lot of frustration with Auburn is strictly aimed at Gus. Lack of OL recruiting and depth. Lack of Qb development especially backup. Play calling and not utilizing talent to potential. It’s the same thing every year and it gets tiresome. But we are where we are and we are heading into a rough schedule. We are going to depend on the defense to keep us in games and give us a chance. 

During football season, for 6 days out of a week I love Gus being our HC, just not on Saturdays.....I like how he does a lot of things, just not coaching....I have no animosity toward him as a person....

The rumor is that the money is ready for his buyout, which I seriously doubt.....After this season, its time to find out if that is true....We will have to improve considerably to beat a good SEC team and that will have to start at the top.....Gus will not change or adapt, and you know that won't happen

• WarTiger changed the title to get ready for some .500 football

Auburn is capable of winning 9 with this team. And against this schedule that wouldn’t be bad. Problem is our three main rivals are way ahead of us and probably aren’t slacking off anytime soon. So the question is are we happy being a mostly 2nd tier SEC program with the occasional great year or do we want to compete consistently with those three schools? Judging from reactions on here and social media I’d say a large part of our fanbase is fine with 8-4 most years as long as we have that one magical season every 5-6 years. And hey, if that pleases the masses then Gus is our man. But if Auburn wants to be more then changes are necessary and not just the coach...

I have no way to predict the future but I have a feeling that this team may gel and become something special. Stranger things have happened. This is what makes college football so great to follow.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:18 AM, gr82be said:

The frustration has been about Gus since '15. The fact is that Auburn wins and loses because of Gus and despite Gus. The players play hard for him and the recruits seem to love him. He's obviously got a relatable quality about him that the fans don't see. Fans see every mistake he makes under a magnifying glass and everything that goes wrong is most likely attributed to him. It's where many of us are as Auburn fans and I hate that it's that way. The offense looked better last night and really all we can expect is that they execute the plays that are called. The play calling isn't going to change but we are 3-0 and that's as good as the record could be at this point.

Just realized your avatar is from Yellowstone. Great show 👍

And that's what makes it so frustrating.  Gus is blessed with intangibles that you really have to be born with - they can't be learned.

Yet he seems unable to adjust things - like play calling and game management philosophies (letting QB2 loose) - which any thinking, self-reflecting person can improve.  At least for the kind of money he is making. ;)

So many negative nancies on this board lately. Next week can’t get here soon enough. We’ll know more about this team next week. Still, even if we win, I’m expecting some people to still cry because we didn’t win by enough points. 

7 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

So many negative nancies on this board lately. Next week can’t get here soon enough. We’ll know more about this team next week. Still, even if we win, I’m expecting some people to still cry because we didn’t win by enough points. 

063A82F7-F656-43C8-8B44-0C5BA2B017A4.png

36 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And that's what makes it so frustrating.  Gus is blessed with such intangibles that you really are born with - they can't be learned.

Yet he seems unable to adjust things - like play calling and game management philosophies (letting QB2 loose) - which any thinking, self-reflecting person can improve.  At least for the kind of money he is making. ;)

Out of likes but yes ^^^

22 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

063A82F7-F656-43C8-8B44-0C5BA2B017A4.png

3-0

Covered the spread in all three games with a vanilla offense in all three games.

Would likely have scored 2 more TDS if not for 1 overthrow and one dropped pass. 

We scored on every drive except 3. One of those was the last drive where we killed the clock. One was the drive where Hastings uncharacteristic ally dropped a pass. There was only 1 offensive drive that looked iffy last night.

Defense (the side of the ball even the Gus haters seem to trust) made the game closer last night. (Also two bs penalties contributed.) 

Offense has looked progressively more defined across the 3 games. Against Oregon, it had no identity. Against Tulane, there were flashes, but the performance was inconsistent. Last night, the offense found itself. 

We won by almost 40 points without trying to pass much at all. 

We put up over 600 yards last night.

I get that it is Kent State is not a good team, but there were a lot of positives last night. We really won’t know anything until next week. But, from last night, there’s reason to be excited.

13 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

3-0

Covered the spread in all three games with a vanilla offense in all three games.

Would likely have scored 2 more TDS if not for 1 overthrow and one dropped pass. 

We scored on every drive except 3. One of those was the last drive where we killed the clock. One was the drive where Hastings uncharacteristic ally dropped a pass. There was only 1 offensive drive that looked iffy last night.

Defense (the side of the ball even the Gus haters seem to trust) made the game closer last night. (Also two bs penalties contributed.) 

Offense has looked progressively more defined across the 3 games. Against Oregon, it had no identity. Against Tulane, there were flashes, but the performance was inconsistent. Last night, the offense found itself. 

We won by almost 40 points without trying to pass much at all. 

We put up over 600 yards last night.

I get that it is Kent State is not a good team, but there were a lot of positives last night. We really won’t know anything until next week. But, from last night, there’s reason to be excited.

Yep. We’ll see.

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Kills me every year people complain no matter what the outcome is. We are 3-0 and have played as I have expected so far this season. Sure there are areas to improve and they should as the season continues. There isn’t anything I’ve seen so far from TAMU and Florida so far that tells me they are the better team. LSU looks the most impressive just bc the win on the road and neither UGA or Bama has played anyone so what do we really know?

^^^^THIS^^^^. 

Projecting forward we're probably going to end up either 8-4 or 9-3.  Why not enjoy the ones we do win and save all the carping for the ones we lose?

19 minutes ago, Auskip said:

^^^^THIS^^^^. 

Projecting forward we're probably going to end up either 8-4 or 9-3.  Why not enjoy the ones we do win and save all the carping for the ones we lose?

Umm...alot of the things complained about will directly contribute to those losses. That's the kicker! We're actually complaining about fundamental things that could improve the team. Novel idea right. It's a little more intellectually satisfying to discuss things that could be improved on than to just be happy we won. What allowed us to win the 1st three games may or may not allow us to win tougher, more important ones down the stretch. Those are facts that are in the record books. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Nobody will cry with a win over atm on the road because of an underwhelming score. More made up garbage.

12 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Why watch if you have this attitude? You may think this is possible, sure, but damn dude we're 3-0. If you aren't happy right now pick a different hobby.

Melennials...geesh. "Waaaah!!...somebody with an alternative opinion offends me."

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

Nobody will cry with a win over atm on the road because of an underwhelming score. More made up garbage.

Oh you are very mistaken.  History will repeat itself because there are posters on here who just love to spread constant misery. It happens on every sports forum.......take a look at the "experts" in the 2018-19 early season basketball and baseball forums predicting outcomes of doom and gloom. See how that turned out?

Auburn is 3-0 and how that's a bad thing escapes me. In 2010 it took a FG to beat KY because the QB1 was still adjusting to SEC play, and the coaches were still discovering just what they had in him. Nobody believed in the future, or  had any foresight about what came later. Everybody was just mad about the KY game and called it an embarrassment. 

I'm not sure what will happen in 2019, but I'm not tossing in the towel already.  I do think the team is starting to gel a little bit more, and the season will be respectable. What happens after the season is over is not the point right now, and it's just borrowing trouble. These kids did not come to Auburn to lose, and for their sake I hope Gus is wildly successful in 2019. They believe in their coaches, so during the season I will back that up.

Nothing hopeful, positive or fun allowed here anymore by the Gus-hating bullies.....I feel the herd breathing down my neck and accusing me of  being the dumb sunshine pumper riding on the Gus Bus. 

I just love Auburn, and I refuse to denigrate the coaches and players constantly, especially when the season is in full swing. My family and  I had fun watching the game last night. If some of you were so determined to be unhappy and didn't enjoy it because it was imperfect.... then that's on you. 

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Melennials...geesh. "Waaaah!!...somebody with an alternative opinion offends me."

Hot take there, Jethro. I am comforted by the fact that a guy who doesn't know how to spell common words like "millennials" probably doesn't know much about football, either.

Archived