Null



Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm_FleX48

Gatewood Has Earned The Right To A Fair Game

Recommended Posts





4 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Posted this line in the Kent State game thread:

image.png

 

So, I do want people to take a peek at the stats here. Bo had a good day, (That flea flicker drove the stats up on yardage & TDs for Bo.) But looking at the last quarter... Gatewood literally put up a lion's share of points with minimal time and effort expended. And yes I understand it was garbage time, but there is something to be said by the ease of which we began to move the ball from the QB and the RB positions and it showed. 

2 effortless TDs, clock management, and a bit more variability in the looks we got defensively. And I UNDERSTAND THESE ARE GARBAGE TIME STATS, but the points remain:

- We don't have enough genius play calling or scheming, nor the passing concepts to solely rely on Bo and our basic run game.
- Having a QB with wheels affects the zones of LBs and can eventually take them out of the passing game when required to spy. Even if the QB is slightly less accurate, it still has an effect when he can hurt you with your legs.
- The OL is helped out tremendously when the threat of the QB leaking out into an open lane exists. Pass Rushers have to maintain lane integrity. Take it from someone who rushed the passer for a large part of his collegiate career, it makes speed rushers very skittish and slows you down. 

 Gatewood has a good enough arm and I believe his performance warrants him a start in at least a cupcake or less competitive game for extended study. 

I think most would agree with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, augolf1716 said:

This thread should be good

oh boy high quality GIF

Nah. I think his posting style and the way he comes about it will make this smooth sailing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really pleased with Joey’s performance tonight.  Heck, he can fall forward and get us 5 yards! My belief is that Gus was completely focused on getting the O Line to gel on run blocking. Hopefully, we went a long way in doing that tonight.  I agree that I would have liked to see Joey with passes. He needs to run the entire offense. I think we will see him utilized more in the future. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joey did look good, but Bo should continue as the starter. Joey’s talents and abilities should be used by Gus in meaningful games, so let’s hold our breath to see if it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Joey did look good, but Bo should continue as the starter. Joey’s talents and abilities should be used by Gus in meaningful games, so let’s hold our breath to see if it happens.

Its Bo's job to lose...

But the criteria for losing the job needs to be evaluated fairly. We've seen Gus be susceptible to crowd pressure in all the wrong ways before and unfortunately if the situation should play out to where Gatewood gets the nod over a healthy Bo, there are a lot that would revolt simply because of the Auburn culture.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Its Bo's job to lose...

But the criteria for losing the job needs to be evaluated fairly. We've seen Gus be susceptible to crowd pressure in all the wrong ways before and unfortunately if the situation should play out to where Gatewood gets the nod over a healthy Bo, there are a lot that would revolt simply because of the Auburn culture.

JG will be needed next week for the run game. Count on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Posted this line in the Kent State game thread:

image.png

 

So, I do want people to take a peek at the stats here. Bo had a good day, (That flea flicker drove the stats up on yardage & TDs for Bo.) But looking at the last quarter... Gatewood literally put up a lion's share of points with minimal time and effort expended. And yes I understand it was garbage time, but there is something to be said by the ease of which we began to move the ball from the QB and the RB positions and it showed. 

2 effortless TDs, clock management, and a bit more variability in the looks we got defensively. And I UNDERSTAND THESE ARE GARBAGE TIME STATS, but the points remain:

- We don't have enough genius play calling or scheming, nor the passing concepts to solely rely on Bo and our basic run game.
- Having a QB with wheels affects the zones of LBs and can eventually take them out of the passing game when required to spy. Even if the QB is slightly less accurate, it still has an effect when he can hurt you with your legs.
- The OL is helped out tremendously when the threat of the QB leaking out into an open lane exists. Pass Rushers have to maintain lane integrity. Take it from someone who rushed the passer for a large part of his collegiate career, it makes speed rushers very skittish and slows you down. 

 Gatewood has a good enough arm and I believe his performance warrants him a start in at least a cupcake or less competitive game for extended study. 

I couldn't agree more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Bo has an injury or something, I don’t see Gus giving JG a start against anyone, cupcake or not. It’s rarely done by anyone, not just Gus. Go with your QB1, especially one who needs experience himself. Now who should be that starter is a different topic. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether he starts or not, Gatewood can definitely help us win some games.  I know the old saying about having 2 QB1s, but if Gus can figure out how to utilize both of their strengths in the flow of the game, it could work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

I would like to see JG throw more. Still an unknown. If he does not throw he will basically be a version of the wildcat and good teams will stop him.

He threw it well in the one pass he attempted tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see JG get a legit shot at running the entire offense instead of the coming in the game for the obvious 1 run only.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

if the situation should play out to where Gatewood gets the nod over a healthy Bo, there are a lot that would revolt simply because of the Auburn culture.

What does that mean?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhh no. Welll, I guess I can say I haven’t seen enough. Joey has only really run the ball. He’s 1-2 on his career. That’s nowhere near enough info to say he should start. Unless I see that Joey is actually a better passer, I’ll never jump to team Gatewood. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure it is fair to use Gatewood's stats from this game. He had fresh legs, coming in late into a game that was already won, against a worn out defense, that was far over matched. His numbers were great and he looked great running the ball but he was also in a situation that was easier to succeed.

We are 3-0 under Nix's play and I think he should not lose his starting role until he does something to deserve to lose it. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Gatewood get more playing time and have his role expanded. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit I'm a tad confused as to the point of this thread. 

If by fair game you mean Joey should be able to run the entire offense and actually allowed to make forward passes down the field, I absolutely agree. 

The offense moved and scored points all night with both QBs. 

Bo had one huge gainer dropped by Boobee, one dropped by Hastings, the bad overthrow of Wilson in the endzone, and one more incompletion I can't think of right now. So his stats could/should have been better, too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

What does that mean?

Yeah I am kind of interested in this too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine if we were Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and our first three games were all teams like Kent State or worse or maybe just a little bit better. Imagine the quality time our back-ups would get. But, this is the Auburn athletic department, so we get things like Oregon, Clemson and Washington out of conference. Then next year we get LSU and Alabama in back to back weeks, as well as Florida and Georgia out of the SEC East. That’s just the way our past and current athletic directors schedule our team.

That’s just the way it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

So JG has earned a right to a "fair game"? Who says he wasn't, besides the fans who can't handle that he wasnt named the starter? 

This x 100000000000000

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this