Null

Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm_FleX48

Gatewood Has Earned The Right To A Fair Game

It will scare me if Joey doesn’t play at all next week. Game 4 of the schedule and if he don’t play the transfer portal is in play!

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Valley, don’t you know the rules? Perfectly acceptable is: putting down Gus, Jay Jacobs, Bo, Sean White. Totally unacceptable is putting down AD Greene,  Jeremy Johnson, Joey Gatewood. Learn the rules man! 

Kidding, and all in fun. 😃

Stupid regardless. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

JG will be needed next week for the run game. Count on it.

And he will surprise with a long pass.

• Like 2

Just now, TexasTiger said:

And he will surprise with a long pass.

The ultimate set up 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jluvah said:

It will scare me if Joey doesn’t play at all next week. Game 4 of the schedule and if he don’t play the transfer portal is in play!

As if you know anything at all. Please. You just blowing smoke out your you know what.

52 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Posted this line in the Kent State game thread:

image.png

So, I do want people to take a peek at the stats here. Bo had a good day, (That flea flicker drove the stats up on yardage & TDs for Bo.) But looking at the last quarter... Gatewood literally put up a lion's share of points with minimal time and effort expended. And yes I understand it was garbage time, but there is something to be said by the ease of which we began to move the ball from the QB and the RB positions and it showed. 

2 effortless TDs, clock management, and a bit more variability in the looks we got defensively. And I UNDERSTAND THESE ARE GARBAGE TIME STATS, but the points remain:

- We don't have enough genius play calling or scheming, nor the passing concepts to solely rely on Bo and our basic run game.
- Having a QB with wheels affects the zones of LBs and can eventually take them out of the passing game when required to spy. Even if the QB is slightly less accurate, it still has an effect when he can hurt you with your legs.
- The OL is helped out tremendously when the threat of the QB leaking out into an open lane exists. Pass Rushers have to maintain lane integrity. Take it from someone who rushed the passer for a large part of his collegiate career, it makes speed rushers very skittish and slows you down. 

Gatewood has a good enough arm and I believe his performance warrants him a start in at least a cupcake or less competitive game for extended study. 

So I deleted my first response to this post because I misread a couple of things. I agree 100% about JG getting a shot. He is dynamic as a runner and would definitely take pressure off the OL as the defense would have to account for him.. Nix has been good but he has also been inconsistent and he has to clean that up. I don't think JG should come in and start because I don't think Nix has done anything to lose his job. I do however think that JG should be allowed to come in and run a series and be able to attempt the same throws that Nix does. I can't stand rotating QBs and I do not think CGM could handle it well, but I would love to see JG be able to come in and see what he can do in a meaningful game. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Stupid regardless. 

I agree, you’re not very bright. Appreciate you admitting it though. It’s good to know your own weaknesses.

6 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Valley, don’t you know the rules? Perfectly acceptable is: putting down Gus, Jay Jacobs, Bo, Sean White. Totally unacceptable is putting down AD Greene,  Jeremy Johnson, Joey Gatewood. Learn the rules man! 

Kidding, and all in fun. 😃

On a serious note, I thought Bo and Joey both looked good tonight! The entire offense would look good if we played teams of Kent State’s caliber the first three weeks of the season. The second string O-line looked good as well.

Is it all in fun though?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Southwest said:

Is it all in fun though?

Oh, absolutely. Can’t you tell?

Edited by AU-24

Just now, AU-24 said:

Oh, absolutely. Can you tell?

Not really,but it's something else I can tell. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Southwest said:

Not really,but it's something else I can tell. Thanks for the clarification.

War Eagle!

2 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

So I deleted my first response to this post because I misread a couple of things. I agree 100% about JG getting a shot. He is dynamic as a runner and would definitely take pressure off the OL as the defense would have to account for him.. Nix has been good but he has also been inconsistent and he has to clean that up. I don't think JG should come in and start because I don't think Nix has done anything to lose his job. I do however think that JG should be allowed to come in and run a series and be able to attempt the same throws that Nix does. I can't stand rotating QBs and I do not think CGM could handle it well, but I would love to see JG be able to come in and see what he can do in a meaningful game. 

Bo is fine as the starter, but I do think JG deserves the opportunity to play as full QB when he is in. That is where I am at. It’s really hard to judge between the two especially since Bo is going against the 1s most of the time and the film is geared to stopping him. However, JG has only been used for his legs and that is what makes it so hard for him to be judged. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Bo is fine as the starter, but I do think JG deserves the opportunity to play as full QB when he is in. That is where I am at. It’s really hard to judge between the two especially since Bo is going against the 1s most of the time and the film is geared to stopping him. However, JG has only been used for his legs and that is what makes it so hard for him to be judged. 

Agree x 1000.. it is not fair to judge him when all he does is come in and run we all know he can run and so does the defense. Why in the hell, CGM did not let him come in in the 3rd qt and run the entire offense and be allowed to make the throws Nix does.. I will never know.. but I guarantee you we will need JG this year.. A LOT.  

• Like 2

Joey looks great at what he’s been able to do. I am glad we have him. I want Bo to clean up his misses but he is not doing terrible either.  As far as being “fair” , I think they had a fair chance prior to the season. We might need to make a change down the road but I don’t see anything that appears unfair. 

• Like 4

Bo is the starter and deserves to keep that position. The issue is; we have someone on the bench that has a dynamic feel to him so why not use him and let him throw the ball? Gus is a freaking idiot and he has been holding back his backup QB's for years now by not allowing them to throw. Who does that but an idiot? Gus has been at Auburn seven years and still has no plan B. What is plan B you ask? Plan B is allowing your backup to run the full offense just in case he has to go into the game. That means throwing the ball to different spots on the field and different receivers. Why some people keep defending Gus and his foolishness is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

Thanks for the laughs folks. War Eagle and good night. 

• Like 1

The JG vs Nix debate is not ours to have really. The real debate here is Gus vs. the Transfer portal.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

- Having a QB with wheels affects the zones of LBs and can eventually take them out of the passing game when required to spy.
- The OL is helped out tremendously when the threat of the QB leaking out into an open lane exists. Pass Rushers have to maintain lane integrity. Take it from someone who rushed the passer for a large part of his collegiate career, it makes speed rushers very skittish and slows you down. 

We have a QB with wheels. His name is Bo Nix. Joey certainly deserves a significant role but Bo can do more. Plain and simple. I am also betting Bo runs more read option in SEC play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

It's 3 games in. Past 2 were cupcakes. Wait until you see what we do in College Station before continuing this convo. I think we see an expanded playbook next week. I hope, anyway.

• Like 1

Man whenever we lose Joey, it's going to hurt. 30% because we're probably never gonna have a fraction of info to figure out if he was ever going to be the better of the two (at this school) and 70% because he has a pretty high chance to be great if he goes to the right school

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

maybe this is why gus doesnt let our backups throw very often...   the fans get carried away.      I will say i liked how Joey played and that throw to the middle of the field in the redzone must have had gus crapping his pants.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

I think some here misunderstand this isn’t a “I wanted this guy to win the job debate.” It’s a “every year under Gus’ tenure backups are given almost zero opportunity to pass the ball even when we have a size-able lead so they never get to develop and it’s baffling even to a high school tier coach why the full playbook isn’t available especially when it was a supposedly close qb race and even a pick 6 won’t hurt the team.”

But hey, apparently we’re not supposed to question things here and we should all just accept the will of our beloved Gus Malzahn. He’s infallible. Forgive me football gods for I have sinned! Never shall I ever question why a quarterback can’t pass! Truly, it must be in homage of the olden days when quarterbacks were but glorified running backs. Never doubt this method that our glorious and absolute leader has used to developed so many great eventual starters like the legends Malik Willis, Jeremy Johnson and Kiehl Frazier.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If we were to be truly objective, the same could be said for both QBs. Neither one are being allowed to run the full offense. It's being presented as two different offenses, one never gets the opportunity to run and the other never gets the opportunity to throw. I don't know why Gus continues to approach this in the way he does, but IMO he's pigeonholing the whole offense by doing such. That's the aggravating thing about this whole topic. You have Bo, who when allowed to run has shown the ability to do so....very effectively I might add. Yet, he gets 2 or 3 runs in a series and we never run him again really for the entirety of the game. Then, with Joey he comes in late in the game with nothing but runs and tempo offense, yet not allowed to throw. Call it whining or whatever you want, but this game was an opportunity to run the full playbook with both QBs running the same type of plays equally to build actual depth at QB or at minimum get Joey comfortable throwing the ball in live action outside of practice. It's a disservice....to both of them. One that I feel will bite us in the ass down the road if it doesn't change. The arguments on here get tiresome in regards to pro-Bo or pro-Joey. Neither one are being allowed to tap into their potential to take charge of the offense and open it up. That's the only FACT in any argument. Wde

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, alexava said:

Joey looks great at what he’s been able to do. I am glad we have him. I want Bo to clean up his misses but he is not doing terrible either.  As far as being “fair” , I think they had a fair chance prior to the season. We might need to make a change down the road but I don’t see anything that appears unfair. 

Agree 100%..but what is all the angst about JG not passing the ball enough?  .  If he is able to move the offense down the field on the ground...what's the issue?  Nice to see a pass to keep the other side honest but a nice safe drive that is mostly on the ground looks good to me. 

We are not gonna run alternating QBs, nor should we.    JG will get his opportunities but Bo is still very raw and is not gonna improve his game standing on the sidelines watching Joey.   Bo won the job and needs to be on the field.    His stats yesterday were somewhat deceptive.....a dropped pass that might have gone the distance and a missed pass for a sure TD....and some that were caught thanks to a good effort by the receivers.  All in all....making progress IMO.

• Like 3