Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm_FleX48

Gatewood Has Earned The Right To A Fair Game

I saw a sideline shot when it looked like Gus got on Bo one time after he ran it.   I wonder if he was not supposed to be running after the game was in hand?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree 100%..but what is all the angst about JG not passing the ball enough?  .  If he is able to move the offense down the field on the ground...what's the issue?  Nice to see a pass to keep the other side honest but a nice safe drive that is mostly on the ground looks good to me. 

We are not gonna run alternating QBs, nor should we.    JG will get his opportunities but Bo is still very raw and is not gonna improve his game standing on the sidelines watching Joey.   Bo won the job and needs to be on the field.    His stats yesterday were somewhat deceptive.....a dropped pass that might have gone the distance and a missed pass for a sure TD....and some that were caught thanks to a good effort by the receivers.  All in all....making progress IMO.

Lol. What happens when they load the box and shutdown the run? What other game experience situations is the boy gonna fall back on? This is not the 2013 offense that can run non stop zone read all game and win.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

But hey, apparently we’re not supposed to question things here and we should all just accept the will of our beloved Gus Malzahn

You will be fanscolded for this blasphemy, stand by.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I saw a sideline shot when it looked like Gus got on Bo one time after he ran it.   I wonder if he was not supposed to be running after the game was in hand?

I said the same thing! I figure he saw it wide can open and thought what the hell and took it and daddy Gus had a power Trip.

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Agree x 1000.. it is not fair to judge him when all he does is come in and run we all know he can run and so does the defense. Why in the hell, CGM did not let him come in in the 3rd qt and run the entire offense and be allowed to make the throws Nix does.. I will never know.. but I guarantee you we will need JG this year.. A LOT.  

As y'all know by my previous posts over the years, I am not a big Gus fan. But, he had a true freshman who earned the starting role in spring and fall camps.  This young man needs all the game experience he can get to prepare for the SEC schedule.  I hope that is the reason we didn't see  more of the #2 QB running the entire offense in the 3rd Quarter.  That being said, JG is a special talent and will get his chances to show it.  

• Like 3

I think you’ll see Joey a lot more running that Wildcat look.  I hope when they do that it’s for multiple plays and not just one and done.  If we get to TaMu and the offense gets really stuck in the mud Joey could see a lot more true Qb playing time as well. 

I keep waiting....I'm waiting for someone to explain why were jg is out there he wouldn't run the offense and get the same opportunity as any other back up QB

Haven't seen anybody make any sense of that yet though

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I keep waiting....I'm waiting for someone to explain why were jg is out there he wouldn't run the offense and get the same opportunity as any other back up QB

It’s not Joey, it’s most backup QBs we use. How many passes did Malik Willis throw over 2 years? It’s just what Gus does and I don’t agree with it. I don’t think he’s doing anything to Joey that he hasn’t done in the past though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NoALtiger said:

It’s not Joey, it’s most backup QBs we use. How many passes did Malik Willis throw over 2 years? It’s just what Gus does and I don’t agree with it. I don’t think he’s doing anything to Joey that he hasn’t done in the past though. 

I haven't said it is anything personal to Joey but as you've said he's done this before. It was stupid then and it's stupid now. Even more so now because he hasn't learned apparently

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It's a recurring theme under Gus. It's been damn near a consensus in this thread and on the Auburn interwebs that Gus needs to let his backup QBs run the full offense.

Gus isn't about to address it. It doesn't make sense so....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I think some here misunderstand this isn’t a “I wanted this guy to win the job debate.” It’s a “every year under Gus’ tenure backups are given almost zero opportunity to pass the ball even when we have a size-able lead so they never get to develop and it’s baffling even to a high school tier coach why the full playbook isn’t available especially when it was a supposedly close qb race and even a pick 6 won’t hurt the team.”

But hey, apparently we’re not supposed to question things here and we should all just accept the will of our beloved Gus Malzahn. He’s infallible. Forgive me football gods for I have sinned! Never shall I ever question why a quarterback can’t pass! Truly, it must be in homage of the olden days when quarterbacks were but glorified running backs. Never doubt this method that our glorious and absolute leader has used to developed so many great eventual starters like the legends Malik Willis, Jeremy Johnson and Kiehl Frazier.

your argument would hold any weight if these eventual starters did anything after Gus 

Edited by auskip07
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

It's a recurring theme under Gus. It's been damn near a consensus in this thread and on the Auburn interwebs that Gus needs to let his backup QBs run the full offense.

Gus isn't about to address it. It doesn't make sense so....

The o line depth, recruiting, wr play, hb rotation, defense play has all been discussed over and over....yet we fall in every year

Just now, auskip07 said:

you're argument would hold any weight if these eventual starters did anything after Gus 

His argument holds plenty weight. We use our QB's to run, we don't have the best o line, a fool would know to have two QB's ready to go thru a season

I would like to think that Gus is probably trying to limit the tape on JG as we head into the meat of our schedule, because he plans on expanding JG's role moving forward. That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

That said, whether there's a logic to it or not, we aren't getting the 4th quarter against Kent State back. That valuable period of time is now lost. Keep in mind that Tua attempted 53 passes late in Alabama's games leading up to the National Championship in 2017. How much better prepared for that moment was he because of that experience?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have a freshman QB that won the starting job. Being a freshman he needs all the snaps he can get. When another QB goes in, the starter has to come out. It's not complicated.

When Gatewood went in yesterday, his job was to move the offense, eat up clock and score if possible. He did that very well. I see no cause for complaint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

IMG_20190915_095213.jpg

Ouch. Good to have loyalty but do what's best for you when making this decision. He should've tried for Duke or somebody like that

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

His argument holds plenty weight. We use our QB's to run, we don't have the best o line, a fool would know to have two QB's ready to go thru a season

2 of the 3 qbs he listed started the season and couldnt hack it.   how is that not ready?    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

I saw that, too, and it leads me to believe that Bo's "reads" are very much predetermined and, on that play, he didn't do what Gus told him to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

We have a freshman QB that won the starting job. Being a freshman he needs all the snaps he can get. When another QB goes in, the starter has to come out. It's not complicated.

When Gatewood went in yesterday, his job was to move the offense, eat up clock and score if possible. He did that very well. I see no cause for complaint.

Ok cool, then keep Bo in to learn because you're right he has a bunch to learn too. There's only one way to waste this time and we did it

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jumping to Gus's defense without even reading the critiques first. 

It's been said several times. Joey is one play away from being QB1. If that were to happen tomorrow, we would have a QB1 with more games appeared in than passes attempted. Furthermore, what if Bo doesn't progress and improve as expected? It would hardly be the first time under Gus. 

How hard is it to comprehend our backup QB needing practice, too? 

And you can bet your bottom dollar they would all have something to say about him not looking comfortable passing the ball

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No one is complaining about the job Gatewood did. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

No one is complaining about the job Gatewood did. 

No, they are complaining about his not getting enough snaps and not passing enough. The situation didn't call for hm to throw a bunch of passes.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2