Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm_FleX48

Gatewood Has Earned The Right To A Fair Game

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And you can bet your bottom dollar they would all have something to say about him not looking comfortable passing the ball

"This is why Gus never trusted him to throw the ball."

Just now, Mikey said:

No, they are complaining about his not getting enough snaps and not passing enough. The situation didn't call for hm to throw a bunch of passes.

I disagree. We weren't protecting a lead. The game was in hand. It wasn't necessary to run the clock out. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

"This is why Gus never trusted him to throw the ball."

EXACTLY. Then he has to fall on the sword for the guy who was given the prep time, the work, the experience......that's bull crap man. I can't imagine a worse situation to be in

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Ouch. Good to have loyalty but do what's best for you when making this decision. He should've tried for Duke or somebody like that

At the risk of even talking about it in the open: Even if he can loyaly accept being number two behind a TF, when he was the absolute marquis addition to the team in '18 (complete with Cam Newton comparisons)- The problem of not being allowed to actually play football while......ahem...playing football, is likely going to seal the deal. I hope he stays, but I can't venture a guess why he would. I think he's has not-unrealistic next level aspirations. In this arrangement, next-level opportunity is not even on the map.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, they are complaining about his not getting enough snaps and not passing enough. The situation didn't call for hm to throw a bunch of passes.

Why put him in? Was there something done that Bo couldn't accomplish?

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jumping to Gus's defense without even reading the critiques first. 

It's been said several times. Joey is one play away from being QB1. If that were to happen tomorrow, we would have a QB1 with more games appeared in than passes attempted. Furthermore, what if Bo doesn't progress and improve as expected? It would hardly be the first time under Gus. 

How hard is it to comprehend our backup QB needing practice, too? 

Mikey did it too. Who gives a damn that Bo is the starter? Who gives a damn how much clock time qb2 gets? Nobody. Who thinks qb2 needs to actually play while he's in there: the universe.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Why put him in? Was there something done that Bo couldn't accomplish?

Always a complaint I've had with Gus.  Let your backups run the whole damn offense.  It's the other team's job to stop us.  Get these guys real, live reps so they're ready to go when called upon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

At the risk of even talking about it in the open: Even if he can loyaly accept being number two behind a TF, when he was the absolute marquis addition to the team in '18 (complete with Cam Newton comparisons)- The problem of not being allowed to actually play football while......ahem...playing football, is likely going to seal the deal. I hope he stays, but I can't venture a guess why he would. I think he's has not-unrealistic next level aspirations. In this arrangement, next-level opportunity is not even on the map.

On top of that he has a very short clock before he will be given the term he can't play QB.....he needs to be somewhere where he is evaluated if he can QB or not. If he has people that believe in him that's where he needs to be. If nobody thinks he can he should change positions and get prepared for that position. This is his LIFE!!! We're talking about.

He better get proactive and do what Baker Mayfield and David webb did......I'd be trying to get to Duke or west Virginia. Oklahoma

Bo hasn’t done enough to lose the job and Joey hasn’t done enough to take over the job. That being said don’t be surprised if we see more of both on the field at the same time. Will be a headache to defend if used correctly

Stetson Bennet threw for 109 yesterday in a 55-0 tune-up game at Georgia. One of the teams that stomps our ass off year over year.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Always a complaint I've had with Gus.  Let your backups run the whole damn offense.  It's the other team's job to stop us.  Get these guys real, live reps so they're ready to go when called upon.

I watched uga do this in back to back weeks vs inferior opponents. Their back up QB has thrown at least 10 passes in the last 2 games. Just gonna do the lesser opponent stat here

2 games, UGA Backup QB: 18-23 233 yds 2 TD 1 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than 10 times in either matchup.

2 Games, LSU Backup QB: 15-21 187 yards 0 TD 0 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than 9 times in either matchup.

2 Games, Alabama Backup QB: 9-14 89 yards 1 TD 0 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than five times in either matchup.

2 Games, Auburn Backup QB: 1-1 5 yards 0 TD 0 int

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The situation was the game was well in hand.

But as McLoofis said, the situation also includes the fact that that JG is one play away from being QB1.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Mikey did it too. Who gives a damn that Bo is the starter? Who gives a damn how much clock time qb2 gets? Nobody. Who thinks qb2 needs to actually play while he's in there: the universe.

Some fans wait to see what Gus does and then make up their minds about what the correct decision is. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The situation was the game was well in hand.

But as McLoofis said, the situation also includes the fact that that JG is one play away from being QB1.

If that one play happens, he'll be ready. That's why they have practices.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Practice does not equal game time.

Besides, if he is ready based on practicing, then why not let him go in the game once he's in?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think the point is, Nix is now getting reps with the 1s and Joey is not. I was hoping he would get meaningful playing time in a game situation to see how he would react and get that experience that he is not getting in practice being qb2. 

** and I should add I mean throwing not running.. he has no problem running. 

Edited by AuMarine
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Dang, Mikey. And what better time is there for Gatewood to run pass plays as a green qb when he didn't need to. So he can be better prepared for the time when the situation DOES call for him to pass the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gus almost never lets the backup do anything more than run. It's bizarre. It goes back to Burns, Frazier, Barrett, Willis, Gatewood, Sanberg, etc...

What is the logic behind never letting them pass the ball? So they throw a pick? You learn from your mistakes and move on. You learn best from actual game experience with the entire offense, not just coming in and running the ball when the defense knows that's all you're going to do.

• Like 1

I just want our best playmakers on the field.  bo and Joey are both in that group and should be seeing meaningful time on the field one way or another.  I would have created a Taysom Hill role for Joey from game 1, I THINK MOST COACHES WOULD HAVE DONE THIS.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

2 Games, Alabama Backup QB: 9-14 89 yards 1 TD 0 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than five times in either matchup.

2 Games, Auburn Backup QB: 1-1 5 yards 0 TD 0 int

I loathe sabn. But while watching bamr's second qb throw the ball some yesterday, I pointed out to my son, sabn never wastes a coaching opportunity.

Edited by SumterAubie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I loathe sabn. But while watching bamr's second qb throw the ball some yesterday, I pointed out to my son, sabn never wastes a coaching opportunity.

Still out of reactions, but agree

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Imagine if we were Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and our first three games were all teams like Kent State or worse or maybe just a little bit better. Imagine the quality time our back-ups would get. But, this is the Auburn athletic department, so we get things like Oregon, Clemson and Washington out of conference. Then next year we get LSU and Alabama in back to back weeks, as well as Florida and Georgia out of the SEC East. That’s just the way our past and current athletic directors schedule our team.

That’s just the way it is.

That's completely ridiculous and completely uninformed of how things work.  You know good and well the SEC schedule is set for teams in that schools division and the opposite division opponents rotate.  That rotation is set by the SEC and our AD has no control over it.   The SEC listened when we asked to have the Georgia game moved to earlier in the season.  The resulting change really leveled the playing field for all the West division teams and we have no more difficult than anybody else in the division.   To continue to blame the AD for any of that is completey unfounded and assinine. 

As far as uat goes, they play a non conference power 5 opponent every year just like we do:   2015 vs. #20 Wisconsin,  2016 #20 USC, 2017 #3 Florida State (who knew they would collapse so quickly),  2018 Louisville.

Clemson/ohio State play nobody all year until the post season, so their nonconference schedules aren't much different than their conference schedules.   Now, if we could get Clemson/Ohio state to play each other to open the season, that would be fun, especially since they never play anybody during the season.      In regards to Clemson, we saw this when FSU joined the ACC.  The only reason they went to the ACC was to get Bowden a title and they knew the path there was easier.  Slowly the ACC caught up with them and they started losing games.  Then Clemson came along and took control of the league.  The league isn't nearly as bad as it was when FSU joined (but its not great either).  Clemson is just that much better than everybody else there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Excellent way of saying it.