Null

Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm_FleX48

Gatewood Has Earned The Right To A Fair Game

13 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

- We don't have enough genius play calling or scheming, nor the passing concepts to solely rely on Bo and our basic run game.

I agree, but there's a logic loop here. The problem is that the person who is responsible for this would have to understand the problem. If he did he would either change it so Bo would be more effective, or give Joey the opportunity. If he changed it there would be no reason to go to Joey. If he realizes he's incapable of changing and goes with Joey, what makes us think the playcalling will adapt when defenses sell out against the run and we have to pass (and since Joey hasn't been allowed to run the full offense, do we even know how effective he would be if he had to pass)?

giphy.gif

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If that one play happens, he'll be ready. That's why they have practices.

Tell that to Nick Saban.  Ya know, the guy with six national title rings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

Stetson Bennet threw for 109 yesterday in a 55-0 tune-up game at Georgia. One of the teams that stomps our ass off year over year.

Their starter is a senior....ours is a freshman with less than three games of experience......JMO but Bo needs all the time he can get on the field.....and I'm betting the coaches have seen JG run  the playbook in practice and watched him passing the ball against a better defense that KS was gonna put up.  

For some reason seems like some folks are trying to create a "quarterback controversy"...….maybe JG fans who can't accept the coaching decision? 

Edited by AU64
  • Like 4

What part of development are some folks not understanding or intentionally dismissing? 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

...….maybe JG fans who can't accept the coaching decision? 

I'm not a fan of either. But am a fan of what is good for the program. I agree Nix needs plenty of reps. And I'm not of the crowd calling for giving Gatewood playing time just so he won't leave Auburn. But it will be good for Auburn down the road, to have Gatewood receive as much prep as possible now.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I saw a sideline shot when it looked like Gus got on Bo one time after he ran it.   I wonder if he was not supposed to be running after the game was in hand?

It is probably more so if wanting to protect Bo.  One bad hit can end a season and why run it if the game is in hand easily.  It just makes me think of Hall when he went down.  In the stadium it looked rough until he walked off.  Just not worth an injury against an opponent like this. 

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

And I'm not of the crowd calling for giving Gatewood playing time just so he won't leave Auburn. But it will be good for Auburn down the road, to have Gatewood receive as much prep as possible now.

^^ this

He needs to be developed as a QB, not just an occasional wildcat filler.  

• Like 1

Do you think we would be having this conversation if we had a coach that would let the backups get playing time. Maybe if we had a coach that didn’t ride one player to death every year we would not be starting over at zero every year. 

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

But hey, apparently we’re not supposed to question things here

A29A0BF3-B490-4FC4-8775-62EF41C53333.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I watched uga do this in back to back weeks vs inferior opponents. Their back up QB has thrown at least 10 passes in the last 2 games. Just gonna do the lesser opponent stat here

2 games, UGA Backup QB: 18-23 233 yds 2 TD 1 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than 10 times in either matchup.

2 Games, LSU Backup QB: 15-21 187 yards 0 TD 0 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than 9 times in either matchup.

2 Games, Alabama Backup QB: 9-14 89 yards 1 TD 0 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than five times in either matchup.

2 Games, Auburn Backup QB: 1-1 5 yards 0 TD 0 int

End of story.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I watched uga do this in back to back weeks vs inferior opponents. Their back up QB has thrown at least 10 passes in the last 2 games. Just gonna do the lesser opponent stat here

2 games, UGA Backup QB: 18-23 233 yds 2 TD 1 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than 10 times in either matchup.

2 Games, LSU Backup QB: 15-21 187 yards 0 TD 0 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than 9 times in either matchup.

2 Games, Alabama Backup QB: 9-14 89 yards 1 TD 0 int. Didn’t throw the ball less than five times in either matchup.

2 Games, Auburn Backup QB: 1-1 5 yards 0 TD 0 int

It’s hard to argue with that. Send this to Gus. 

Just now, alexava said:

It’s hard to argue with that. Send this to Gus. 

Mav was like "let's shut this nonsense down now!"

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Their starter is a senior....ours is a freshman with less than three games of experience......JMO but Bo needs all the time he can get on the field.....and I'm betting the coaches have seen JG run  the playbook in practice and watched him passing the ball against a better defense that KS was gonna put up.  

For some reason seems like some folks are trying to create a "quarterback controversy"...….maybe JG fans who can't accept the coaching decision? 

What about the time the coaches are already giving JG? I don't disagree that Nix needs as much time as we can give him on the field. I just wish we utilized the time we are giving Gatewood differently. 

It's also amazing how there's no substitute for game experience when it comes to Bo, but seemingly practice reps are more than sufficient for Gatewood. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Trolling is a truly undignified pursuit and for some reason I keep believing it to be beneath you.

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What about the time the coaches are already giving JG? I don't disagree that Nix needs as much time as we can give him on the field. I just wish we utilized the time we are giving Gatewood differently. 

It's also amazing how there's no substitute for game experience when it comes to Bo, but seemingly practice reps are more than sufficient for Gatewood. 

Dude, you're talking to a wall. There's no getting through lol. I know people in here are more intelligent than to deny that most of the things mentioned in here would benefit not only the team, but the players themselves. Yet they...continually.  As stubborn as ...well..you know.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, auskip07 said:

your argument would hold any weight if these eventual starters did anything after Gus 

Well it’s either incompetent recruiting or incompetent QB development so take your pick. It’s his job to develop them and get them some live game reps when the chance arrives. They’re quarterbacks not running backs they should get a chance to pass it against Lent-freaking-state.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

No it's not that. It's that you're just dead wrong. Players practice in a practice game at practice time. Gus's back up qb's do not. Nobody is trying to create any controversy. You're just wrong. As in not correct. And as is typical, you're putting words in peoples' mouth'. Go back and read slowly. 

Aside from being wrong and assigning arguments to people they aren't making: just drop it right here and tell me why a backup qb at Auburn (year after year) should never really get experience until he is a starter,  while the teams that own our ass do give the qb's the experience. Just a one sentence answer please. Why do you think this is right?

Edited by jAUSon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, WDE427 said:

Do you think we would be having this conversation if we had a coach that would let the backups get playing time. Maybe if we had a coach that didn’t ride one player to death every year we would not be starting over at zero every year. 

No.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Some very scary offers on that table

Shhhh we should just be happy that he even gets to hand the ball off. Don’t ask questions. After all Gus has had a lot of success with development of non-transfer quarterbacks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

3oEduKVQdG4c0JVPSo.gif

• Thanks 1

Let’s put it this way: If something were to happen to Bo would you prefer that JG had passed the ball 20 times in the season or once? 

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Let’s put it this way: If something were to happen to Bo would you prefer that JG had passed the ball 20 times in the season or once? 

20. PLUS IT MIGHT LITERALLY BE WHAT IT TAKES TO CONVINCE THE GUY TO STAY HERE.