Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm_FleX48

Gatewood Has Earned The Right To A Fair Game

40 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

No it's not that. It's that you're just dead wrong. Players practice in a practice game at practice time. Gus's back up qb's do not. Nobody is trying to create any controversy. You're just wrong. As in not correct. And as is typical, you're putting words in peoples' mouth'. Go back and read slowly. 

Aside from being wrong and assigning arguments to people they aren't making: just drop it right here and tell me why a backup qb at Auburn (year after year) should never really get experience until he is a starter,  while the teams that own our ass do give the qb's the experience. Just a one sentence answer please. Why do you think this is right?

We've had back-up QBs playing and situations with more than one QB ….none of which was a reliable starter.   As for what other coaches do, that's a situation unique to each one in my view.    Senior QBs or soon to be drafted QBs vs a team with 2 freshmen.   Coaches have different philosophies ….just the way it is.

I appreciate your assurance...."just dead wrong"....WOW......guess that make it a settled question huh?....'cause you disagree.    JMO but a half dozen people rag on Gus day after day and are in lock step with each other  on anything than questions his performance.   Too many passes, passes at the wrong time, not enough passes...runs up the middle...oops there goes Boobie for a TD....stupid run on first down....ooops, there goes Kam for a dozen.:)    

JMO but the trolls on this board are the ones who day after day throw shade on Gus and other coaches, nit picking every decision they make.....and I guess in the process,  stroking each other's egos....confirming that you have the answers.   But unless this forum is no longer an opinion site, some of you might just accept that what you think is not necessarily correct.....and don't be so sensitive if someone posts an opposing view.  

• Like 4
  • Dislike 7

The Stidham model won't work for these 2 QBs in SEC play. In this offense there needs to be a running or passing threat by the QB on almost every play. Nobody can deny that Joey brings another dimension to this offense. He just does. Bo can run but can he take the pounding in the SEC that is needed to make this offense work ? We will soon know.

On the flip side we know that Bo can throw the ball. Yes, he has made some overthrows on sure TDs but that's probably Freshman adrenaline. His % is down and that has a lot to do with throwing the ball away because of the rush. We have no idea what Joey can do in the passing phase. He threw that one pass and looked good doing it but that's it. In practice, could it be that it was something like decision making in the passing game that caused one of the QBs to pull ahead ?  Again, we don't know.

I do know this. Our QB cant just sit back there and throw the ball 50 times in the SEC. If Bo can't take the pounding in the running game we can't just get pass happy at QB to compensate for it. On the other hand, if Joey can't complete a decent % of passes we can't just get run happy at QB.

I don't know how this will shake out but the components needed to make this offense successful should dictate it. The offense has to be somewhat balanced at the QB position. So whichever one can take the pounding of a running QB and also complete passes should be out there. The QB has to be able to do BOTH.  

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

We've had back-up QBs playing and situations with more than one QB ….none of which was a reliable starter.   As for what other coaches do, that's a situation unique to each one in my view.    Senior QBs or soon to be drafted QBs vs a team with 2 freshmen.   Coaches have different philosophies ….just the way it is.

I appreciate your assurance...."just dead wrong"....WOW......guess that make it a settled question huh?....'cause you disagree.    JMO but a half dozen people rag on Gus day after day and are in lock step with each other  on anything than questions his performance.   Too many passes, passes at the wrong time, not enough passes...runs up the middle...oops there goes Boobie for a TD....stupid run on first down....ooops, there goes Kam for a dozen.:)    

JMO but the trolls on this board are the ones who day after day throw shade on Gus and other coaches, nit picking every decision they make.....and I guess in the process,  stroking each other's egos....confirming that you have the answers.   But unless this forum is no longer an opinion site, some of you might just accept that what you think is not necessarily correct.....and don't be so sensitive if someone posts an opposing view.  

You didn't oppose my view. You're still just generic mad at the board. It's fine if you love Gus or don't like me or whatever.

Still though: why is it ok that we're the only place in football history that doesn't offer valuable quarterbacking experience when the qb2 is given the time and reps in a 'practice' game? It's a very basic question. 

Edited by jAUSon
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

That's completely ridiculous and completely uninformed of how things work.  You know good and well the SEC schedule is set for teams in that schools division and the opposite division opponents rotate.  That rotation is set by the SEC and our AD has no control over it.   The SEC listened when we asked to have the Georgia game moved to earlier in the season.  The resulting change really leveled the playing field for all the West division teams and we have no more difficult than anybody else in the division.   To continue to blame the AD for any of that is completey unfounded and assinine. 

As far as uat goes, they play a non conference power 5 opponent every year just like we do:   2015 vs. #20 Wisconsin,  2016 #20 USC, 2017 #3 Florida State (who knew they would collapse so quickly),  2018 Louisville.

Clemson/ohio State play nobody all year until the post season, so their nonconference schedules aren't much different than their conference schedules.   Now, if we could get Clemson/Ohio state to play each other to open the season, that would be fun, especially since they never play anybody during the season.      In regards to Clemson, we saw this when FSU joined the ACC.  The only reason they went to the ACC was to get Bowden a title and they knew the path there was easier.  Slowly the ACC caught up with them and they started losing games.  Then Clemson came along and took control of the league.  The league isn't nearly as bad as it was when FSU joined (but its not great either).  Clemson is just that much better than everybody else there.

Yes, yes, I apologize, I should’ve consulted with you before I posted. I should’ve known that our AD has nothing to do with our out of conference opponents.  I should’ve realized, Alabama’s AD has nothing to do with their out of conference opponents? Alabama’s Power Five opponents like Duke and  Louisville just happened to magically pop up on their schedule.

No Auburn AD could have prevented LSU and Alabama from being scheduled week to week for upcoming AU seasons.  By the way, who else in the SEC plays LSU and Alabama back to back?  No AD could’ve pushed or argued moving Auburn to the SEC East when Missouri and A&M were added to the SEC. It just couldn’t happen.

Also Ohio State and Clemson’s AD have nothing to do with their out of conference opponents? The Notre Dame AD has nothing to do with their powder puff scheduling year after year, it all happens by chance. (On a side-note, this particular year, it will be sweet to see Georgia stomp them next week)

Whatever the SEC hands-down, (again, to include LSU and Alabama in two weeks time) our past and present athletic departments have absolutely no control, no say-so, no arguing, no bargaining in it whatsoever. I should’ve known this.

Let the SEC try to schedule the Turds “Auburn and LSU” back to back in two weeks time. See how that goes over in the SEC office.

80% of this board is witching, moaning and complaining about how the Auburn offense looks this year, compared to other teams. One of my obvious points: let us play someone like Kent State for the first three weeks of the season, then watch how good our offense looks.

Another obvious point: when we already have Georgia out of the SEC East, and we’re going on the road to play Florida out of the East, along with our obvious, murder schedule in the SEC West, why are we scheduling a top 10 or top 11 team out of conference? Is that really so hard to understand?

Edited by AU-24

16 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Posted this line in the Kent State game thread:

image.png

So, I do want people to take a peek at the stats here. Bo had a good day, (That flea flicker drove the stats up on yardage & TDs for Bo.) But looking at the last quarter... Gatewood literally put up a lion's share of points with minimal time and effort expended. And yes I understand it was garbage time, but there is something to be said by the ease of which we began to move the ball from the QB and the RB positions and it showed. 

2 effortless TDs, clock management, and a bit more variability in the looks we got defensively. And I UNDERSTAND THESE ARE GARBAGE TIME STATS, but the points remain:

- We don't have enough genius play calling or scheming, nor the passing concepts to solely rely on Bo and our basic run game.
- Having a QB with wheels affects the zones of LBs and can eventually take them out of the passing game when required to spy. Even if the QB is slightly less accurate, it still has an effect when he can hurt you with your legs.
- The OL is helped out tremendously when the threat of the QB leaking out into an open lane exists. Pass Rushers have to maintain lane integrity. Take it from someone who rushed the passer for a large part of his collegiate career, it makes speed rushers very skittish and slows you down. 

Gatewood has a good enough arm and I believe his performance warrants him a start in at least a cupcake or less competitive game for extended study. 

Just football #101 . When you get the running game efficient the passing game improves. Like the flea flicker. The safeties wasted no time coming forward on the handoff, because AU had so much success with the run, Stove was wide open. Joeys pass was the same they were all playing the run and a simple crossing pass was wide open. Gus actually is getting a little more unpredictable like he used to be. This will aid the offense immensely 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

You didn't oppose my view. You're still just generic mad at the board. It's fine if you love Gus or don't like me or whatever.

Still though: why is it ok that we're the only place in football history that doesn't offer valuable quarterbacking experience when the qb2 is given the time and reps in a 'practice' game? It's a very basic question. 

Why not check the Oklahoma and Ohio Stats from yesterday and see how much time their back-up QBs got.....basically none.... JMO but you cherry pick the games to support your view but there are lots of others where coaches go almost exclusively with their #1,      

I'm not mad at "the board" ….a statement you make as if you are "the board".....Lots of differing opinions out there and I'm one of them ….and when I see opinions I disagree with, there is no reason for me to just let them slide....:dunno:

5 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I said the same thing! I figure he saw it wide can open and thought what the hell and took it and daddy Gus had a power Trip.

Agree....imho save the fits for the plays that DON'T work. Plenty of non-execution to "Weeman" about. 🤣😉

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Shhhh we should just be happy that he even gets to hand the ball off. Don’t ask questions. After all Gus has had a lot of success with development of non-transfer quarterbacks.

Lol, I didn’t even notice UGA on that list. Can’t imagine having to play him for the next 2 years with their talent

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

There has been plenty of reason for folks to rag on Gus and Gus would probably admit it. That said as I have said already, I see a lot of progress by Gus this year. It’s sad that it took heating up his chair to get it but it definitely seems to be working. A lot of good calls last night. New wrinkles. Actually using his old predictability by doing something different. That’s good and it’s moving in the right direction. Actually the offense is way beyond what we are use to from Gus at this point and we actually have two freshman QBs . That is no easy feat. Next week will be report card day. We win it will be an “A” for Gus. Even if we play well and make it a game till late in the fourth then it’s a passing grade. If he gets beat bad by 14 or more it’s a non pass and the heat will be on because we will probably be looking at a 7-5 at best and there will be a new coach coming in. Gus knows that, Alan knows that and most of the board knows that. With that said, I’m pulling for Gus, because these guys like him. I hope he just stays  on the bandwagon where is has started now and believe if he does he could be successful at AU for a long time. WDE

Edited by Eagle Eye 7

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Why not check the Oklahoma and Ohio Stats from yesterday and see how much time their back-up QBs got.....basically none.... JMO but you cherry pick the games to support your view but there are lots of others where coaches go almost exclusively with their #1,      

I'm not mad at "the board" ….a statement you make as if you are "the board".....Lots of differing opinions out there and I'm one of them ….and when I see opinions I disagree with, there is no reason for me to just let them slide....:dunno:

I get it. Dont "let it slide". Your opinion is it's ok for the back up quarterback to only hand off or run the ball for the past seven years and the foreseeable future. No problem. But why don't you explain it?

25 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I get it. Dont "let it slide". Your opinion is it's ok for the back up quarterback to only hand off or run the ball for the past seven years and the foreseeable future. No problem. But why don't you explain it?

Because he can't. Or won't. Only Gus knows best. It's full on proverbial pulling the orange and blue wool over the eyes. 

While I think the Back ups should ALWAYS get as much meaningful real game reps as possible when score / opponents permit...  which includes letting the QB pass... which also lets the 2nd string running backs catch a pass AND requires them to work on pass blocking... 2nd string linemen have to run block AND lets them work on pass blocking...

I DO believe that the "explanation"

and what Gus has shown he does in the past is set to up HIS tendencies he WANTS defenses to expect and HIDE actually big plays for important Games and important times... right or wrong?? but this is what he has always done...

THIS is what he is doing with Gatewood.

He will have a huge pass / needed TD / game winning play set up with receivers running wide open if they all execute it. The better teams will even expect this and plan for it (AL  LSU GA and A&M) but still won't know where it's coming from or when and will be hard to defend.. because they haven't actually seen it...

He is setting this up. with joey basically a running wild cat type QB, Joey can pass and will...  when it is really needed and run quickly and least expected.

oh and I'm willing to bet, Bo WILL catch a pass from Gatewood before its over... like cam's TD catch at ole miss.

Edited by JGLEATON
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Because he can't. Or won't. Only Gus knows best. It's full on proverbial pulling the orange and blue wool over the eyes. 

True,   I trust the coaching staff to make the right decisions far more than I do a bunch of guys sitting in front of their computers issuing opinions based on NO specific knowledge or experience with the players involved and based on whatever the TV camera happens to show of a play.   Sure it's fun to think we could make better decisions.....but I trust that most of you don't actually believe you have enough information to make such assertions.    

Opinions are free but on a site like this you get what you pay for.  So everyone is welcome to pretend they are smarter than our coaching staff....but don't expect many  of us to actually believe the "better" coaching ideas that show up here.   And please don't get your feelings hurt and call out a person just because he or she might suggest that you don't know what you are talking about.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True,   I trust the coaching staff to make the right decisions far more than I do a bunch of guys sitting in front of their computers issuing opinions based on NO specific knowledge or experience with the players involved and based on whatever the TV camera happens to show of a play.   Sure it's fun to think we could make better decisions.....but I trust that most of you don't actually believe you have enough information to make such assertions.    

Opinions are free but on a site like this you get what you pay for.  So everyone is welcome to pretend they are smarter than our coaching staff....but don't expect many  of us to actually believe the "better" coaching ideas that show up here.   And please don't get your feelings hurt and call out a person just because he or she might suggest that you don't know what you are talking about.  

I really don't care who you "trust". You don't know the extent of my knowledge of football or anyone else's on this site for that matter. Matter of factly,  there are several folks on this site that are actual coaches that have and continue to voice the same complaints and concerns...REPEATEDLY. To no avail though for some because you keep the same boring approach. Gus is right and everyone else is wrong. I mean , since we're swimming in championship trophies and wins, Gus HAS to be all knowing right? GTFOH

• Like 1

I was at the game last night. The game was in hand with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd at 38-10. Why not let Gatewood come in and run our WHOLE offense. That’s what bothers me. I watch Bama,uga,LSU, Ohio state,etc.,etc.,etc. let the #2 Qb come in and THROWthe ball. Hell, I saw Ugado it yesterday to the tune of 9 for 10 and lsu at 8 for 9, both in blowout wins. I would be pissed if I were Gatewood and saw those stats. Says Gus doesn’t trust me even when we’re winning big

1 minute ago, jluvah said:

I was at the game last night. The game was in hand with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd at 38-10. Why not let Gatewood come in and run our WHOLE offense. That’s what bothers me. I watch Bama,uga,LSU, Ohio state,etc.,etc.,etc. let the #2 Qb come in and THROWthe ball. Hell, I saw Ugado it yesterday to the tune of 9 for 10 and lsu at 8 for 9, both in blowout wins. I would be pissed if I were Gatewood and saw those stats. Says Gus doesn’t trust me even when we’re winning big

Gus is all knowing,  do not question the man. He knows how to call a game better than you because he has won so many championships. His seasons are perfect, we at Auburn could never expect to be any better.....well because if you look in the past that's all we really are. We can't do any better and should just be ecstatic to be going 7-6 or 8-4 in the mighty SECw. How dare you insinuate Gus isn't flawless. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Posted this line in the Kent State game thread:

image.png

So, I do want people to take a peek at the stats here. Bo had a good day, (That flea flicker drove the stats up on yardage & TDs for Bo.) But looking at the last quarter... Gatewood literally put up a lion's share of points with minimal time and effort expended. And yes I understand it was garbage time, but there is something to be said by the ease of which we began to move the ball from the QB and the RB positions and it showed. 

2 effortless TDs, clock management, and a bit more variability in the looks we got defensively. And I UNDERSTAND THESE ARE GARBAGE TIME STATS, but the points remain:

- We don't have enough genius play calling or scheming, nor the passing concepts to solely rely on Bo and our basic run game.
- Having a QB with wheels affects the zones of LBs and can eventually take them out of the passing game when required to spy. Even if the QB is slightly less accurate, it still has an effect when he can hurt you with your legs.
- The OL is helped out tremendously when the threat of the QB leaking out into an open lane exists. Pass Rushers have to maintain lane integrity. Take it from someone who rushed the passer for a large part of his collegiate career, it makes speed rushers very skittish and slows you down. 

Gatewood has a good enough arm and I believe his performance warrants him a start in at least a cupcake or less competitive game for extended study. 

Woo-hoo he ran all over kent state like every other rb that touched the ball, after the 1st string O wore them down. Give him the keys to the kingdom!

He has a promising possible upside, but the only thing I really know about him is he gives a decent fake to the rb, when he keeps the ball, EVERY SINGLE TIME. There were some starving rb's in that backfield he could have fed at least a few times. 

I'm not saying he may not make a heckuva qb. He'll keep getting chances and can show what he's got. If he runs like he did against kent st against a/m and we'll see how durable he is. 

• Dislike 2

20 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

inspirational-quotes_15019-1.png

The perfect response to "dur hur we 3 n 0 ain't we *hock* *spit*"

Edited by McLoofus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gus has Gatewood on the "Sean White Growth Plan" when it comes to throwing the ball. He clearly doesn't trust him to throw much yet, but Gus trusts like maybe 1 or 2 people in CFB. Maybe. 

It definitely remains unclear if he has that leadership vibe that Nix has. He and Gus have a lot in common. Gus is a control freak and Gatewood never hands off.  

The fact people will justify decision making that's obvious to see there's a better and more efficient way to handle this process just shows. Take your time during a recruitment process, analyze every situation, don't listen to what everybody else says think about yourself. Super important decision

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

The perfect response to "dur hur we 3 n 0 ain't we *hock* *spit*"

Lol. And then they really be confused when we can't run against a team like Tennessee later in the season.....yeah I know we had to grind against buffalo but I just didn't see us having any problems.....we were 4-0

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tiger88 said:

Woo-hoo he ran all over kent state like every other rb that touched the ball, after the 1st string O wore them down. Give him the keys to the kingdom!

He has a promising possible upside, but the only thing I really know about him is he gives a decent fake to the rb, when he keeps the ball, EVERY SINGLE TIME. There were some starving rb's in that backfield he could have fed at least a few times. 

I'm not saying he may not make a heckuva qb. He'll keep getting chances and can show what he's got. If he runs like he did against kent st against a/m and we'll see how durable he is. 

I think the point is that when he comes in, let him run the entire offense. I’m a big Bo fan, but the fact that we restrict our Backup QB to “run duty”, it’s bothersome, considering we do it literally every year, while other back up qbs are getting pass reps at other major cfb programs 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

So JG has earned a right to a "fair game"? Who says he wasn't, besides the fans who can't handle that he wasnt named the starter? 

I'm guessing it's the fans who have enough common sense to know that a backup QB who is 1 play away from having the fate of our entire season in his hands would greatly benefit from being thrown into that position with more than 2 career passes during garbage time?