Null

Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm_FleX48

Gatewood Has Earned The Right To A Fair Game

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

We've had back-up QBs playing and situations with more than one QB ….none of which was a reliable starter.   As for what other coaches do, that's a situation unique to each one in my view.    Senior QBs or soon to be drafted QBs vs a team with 2 freshmen.   Coaches have different philosophies ….just the way it is.

I appreciate your assurance...."just dead wrong"....WOW......guess that make it a settled question huh?....'cause you disagree.    JMO but a half dozen people rag on Gus day after day and are in lock step with each other  on anything than questions his performance.   Too many passes, passes at the wrong time, not enough passes...runs up the middle...oops there goes Boobie for a TD....stupid run on first down....ooops, there goes Kam for a dozen.:)    

JMO but the trolls on this board are the ones who day after day throw shade on Gus and other coaches, nit picking every decision they make.....and I guess in the process,  stroking each other's egos....confirming that you have the answers.   But unless this forum is no longer an opinion site, some of you might just accept that what you think is not necessarily correct.....and don't be so sensitive if someone posts an opposing view.  

62100B65-26E6-4C64-933E-134753A0F87F.jpeg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jAUSon said:

You didn't oppose my view. You're still just generic mad at the board. It's fine if you love Gus or don't like me or whatever.

Still though: why is it ok that we're the only place in football history that doesn't offer valuable quarterbacking experience when the qb2 is given the time and reps in a 'practice' game? It's a very basic question. 

Because he defends Gus no matter what...thats why. I swear that man could be caught red handed torturing puppies and 64 would tell you it was the dogs fault.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I really don't care who you "trust". You don't know the extent of my knowledge of football or anyone else's on this site for that matter. Matter of factly,  there are several folks on this site that are actual coaches that have and continue to voice the same complaints and concerns...REPEATEDLY. To no avail though for some because you keep the same boring approach. Gus is right and everyone else is wrong. I mean , since we're swimming in championship trophies and wins, Gus HAS to be all knowing right? GTFOH

I’m outta likes but preach brotha.

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

I keep waiting....I'm waiting for someone to explain why were jg is out there he wouldn't run the offense and get the same opportunity as any other back up QB

Haven't seen anybody make any sense of that yet though

Why dont you ask gus next time you interview him. 

• Haha 2

Ok, so I think quite a few people are trying to misconstrue this into a "Take the job away from Bo Nix" thread. Its not...
Far from it actually. If Bo is as good as quite a few fans believe that he is, then allowing Gatewood to come in and run a full-scheme offense in game time would solidify and allow for Bo to relax knowing "He is better than Gatewood by a mile." The fact that we don't see that leads to this cloud over his head and fan pressure.

My point still remains, Gatewood in game time is an unknown at QB... Not wildcat, but at QB. There is the argument that Bo needs as much experience as he can get,  but the kid is a starter a TRUE FRESHMAN. That means if any coach is thinking like an actual coach that will go the distance, then he will have years of experience as well as time against tough opponents when the time comes. Gatewood definitely needs more than practice experience passing and making reads against different defenses that aren't just ran by a scout team. (Note, practices aren't just best on best all the time.) 

Gus doesn't quite have the best record with QBs that are determined to be the starters at the beginning of the year. Excluding Stidham, we've always been in a situation where it turns out that Gus' practice evaluation of QBs turns out to be misleading. How is this situation any different? A lot of the same people that cheer Bo to death were the biggest advocates to ditch Jeremy Johnson for Sean White, citing that Gus was wrong. Why is there such a hesitation to doubt Gus' judgement now? Has he shown you anything in the past seasons that have put you in complete glowing faith of his methods? Clearly not because we wouldn't have the rounds of "Gus Hotseat" threads every year. 

-----------------------------------------------------------
But what I am trying to illustrate is one picture:

- The offense sputtered and looked languished at points in the game against Kent state. Probably because our typical run scheme (inside zone) and deep route + screen pass combos were enough to allow the defense to get complacent.
+ That same defense (yes I'll cede that it was worn down) knew that Gatewood would be running the ball and yet we still effortlessly marched it down the field twice scoring both times in 5 minutes in succession. That to me seems quite a lot more efficient and explosive than trying to give a passing game that is already bereft of creativity and a true freshman QB time to win on the merits of arm alone. Lesser Opposition? Of course, but its a strategy Gus is comfortable and familiar with. 

- Bo Nix is not a scrambling QB or even a remote threat running the ball. Can he get yards on the ground in ZRs? Yes, but that's very different from having a dangerous running ability that makes defenses wary of your speed and agility and require special attention such as contain rushes, spies, and zone coverage shells as opposed to man. Most QBs are capable of scrambling but very few deserve or command special game plans to deal with that. 
+ Joey Gatewood is regarded as a scrambling QB, there is no doubt about that. I wish we knew how he passed in order to make some evaluation of this but the point still remains, Gatewood requires defenses to change in order to handle his running ability. We do have Gus to thank for that. Here is the advantage of a scrambling QB, and this is football knowledge from someone who has done this. Defensive Line and Linebacker coaches DRILL into their player's heads not to lose contain and to keep "rush lane integrity" against running QBs because of the fact that it gives them a free alley to escape. The effect?

1. Pass rushers live on the threat of being able to knife inside or use inside counters. When you're restricted to winning via speed to power or trying to dip (which most college rushers suck at. I know this because flexibility routines aren't drilled in college as they are within the pros. I know while I was playing it was rare that we ever even had a day dedicated to stretching. Even the brief time I spent at Auburn around the team..) which is a severe cut for most except the elite rushers in leagues. There is no off the line bob-swipe, no delay arm-bars, no Ice-Pick Spin Moves.

2. Defenses that have to play 11 on 11 football are a lot less ambiguous and MUCH less dangerous. When you have to devote specific linebackers to spy, you remove an aspect of coverage over the middle and open up the intermediate game (This is a can of worms in and for itself because of our reluctance to use those routes.) But you take a defender out of coverage and can open up the seam and make windows much larger when the linebacker assigned to spy can't actually drift back in coverage because he has to shadow a QB that can run. That alone can improve the passing ability of a scrambler versus a more traditional passer. They literally play an entirely different game coverage-wise. 

3. Blitzes and coverages are extremely different against rushers. Its always been ill-advised to throw man or combo coverages against scrambling QBs because of the fact that in Man coverage your back will be to the QB and you're going to be in a trail position. This limits the defense to zone or allows for big run game chunks. Zone defenses are more limited in their blitz selection. For one thing you have to bring corner blitzes, fire-zones, and 2nd level deep safety blitzes. There are disadvantages to each that significantly help out the coordinators as well as QBs. The main issue is that with zone blitzes is that they are the leading causes of busted coverages. Its very hard to program multiple zone blitzes into a single defenses because they require a lot of mental effort to prevent busts. Corner Zone Blitzes are easy to read, and 2nd level deep safety blitzes almost predominantly leave you in Cover 3 and take a while to hit home. Those are goldmines for QBs and rushing QBs especially since they have the added maneuverability to avoid the blitz and get rid of the ball to the holes in the zone. Man-Blitzes tend to be more dependable because of the fact that they still allow EVERYONE to be accounted for and allow the QB VERY LITTLE TIME to get rid of the ball, especially if they're in press man. The problem is that past that small window, man-blitzes are 0 blitzes most often which means against decent WRs that can get separation, they're instant TDs if the QB
can buy more time and the RB can pick up an extra Blitzer.

-Our run game is very malnourished. Its no surprise that this year we don't have a dominant bell-cow running back that can just get yards himself without a little assistance. Or maybe we do but they don't get enough snaps. (Looking at you Joiner). The problem is that our ZR-style handoff (its really just a handoff from the gun but people can't distinguish that from the ZR and it slows a defense down too.) is almost ALWAYS going to the RB which doesn't give the defense enough to think about. Its no wonder that its easier for LBs to get downhill and help clog up those playside A gaps and Backside B's.
+ Gus's offense has ALWAYS been better with a mobile QB at the helm. Its because of the fact that its another set of dangerous hands to account for in the run game which pulls defenses in and slows their attacking down. You have to play sound and fundamental defense against a defense that can literally give the ball to 3 people on any given snap. Defenses suddenly have to act like they're playing zone coverage because someone has to be responsible in case the jet-sweep motion gets the ball, the RB takes it in a dive, or the QB gets it. With Joey, that's a threat. It has not been a threat since the days pre Stidham. This helps the RBs out because they can get a step on LBs who either are reading too long or have to actually respect the QB and sweep and can't aggressively penetrate lest they lose a step. It also takes a player off as if its a true ZR, the backside end or possible overhang player has to stay home and if flow goes away, they're at a disadvantage in numbers. This is why Gatewood could move the ball so easily despite the fact that the defense knew it was run.

Imagine this sort of pre-snap arithmetic against a QB that could not only possibly run a ZR but also pass. That's a lot to think about and it automatically creates an advantage for the offense prior to the snap. That makes your offense tremendously more explosive. That's what we had in the NM and Cam Newton days that made this same bland scheme we run seem more explosive despite the fact that its the same. 

To conclude, I'm not saying that Gatewood NEEDS TO BE THE STARTED OVER BO NIX!

But what I'm saying is that Gatewood needs a game (or part of a game) to run the full offense to explore my point in bold because of the aforementioned reasons listed above the bold. Its not an indictment on Bo. I've said time and time again that I think Bo is a Freshman phenom, but I question the suitability for Gus and our offense. I think Gus wants to prove that he can develop a passing QB out of pride and is resisting the urge to simply throw Gatewood in and endure more of the same critiques that threaten his legitimacy as an "offensive guru."

You can tell thats on his mind given the fact that he started to call the plays again.

Also PS:

I remember there was a question of what I meant about Auburn's "Culture" and why it predisposes Auburn to want Bo Nix to succeed so much despite there being a lot more of an affinity with Gatewood. Look no further than the name of the forums. These are called "Auburn Family" Forums. Bo Nix is the EPITOME of that Auburn Family idea that is clever marketing to differentiate Auburn from other power football schools. The fact that we want FAMILY and connections. Its the reason people are reluctant in firing Gus, he is Family to that miraculous 2011 run w/ Cam Newton, one of our most successful QBs ever. 

Bo is named after an Auburn Legend and son of an Auburn Legend during the time when an Auburn Legend coached. Bo has ALWAYS wanted to come to Auburn and play here. 

The writing is on the wall for what a story it is for him to start as a True Freshman and for a lot of people who value that idea of the Auburn Family over cold hard football efficiency its like protecting the legitimacy of the Auburn Family idea. Benching him would be a bastardization of that idea and admission of the fact that we've been one of those cold football schools all along. Even subconsciously I'm sure that this is a strong reason for opposition to the idea because we know that Gus isn't known for having the greatest plan for his QBs pre-season.

And imagine if Bo transferred, that would be the WORST of optics.

That's what I meant about "culture" 

Edited by Malcolm_FleX48
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I think the point is that when he comes in, let him run the entire offense. I’m a big Bo fan, but the fact that we restrict our Backup QB to “run duty”, it’s bothersome, considering we do it literally every year, while other back up qbs are getting pass reps at other major cfb programs 

Well, it was more than that when it was suggested he start a game. 

He had every chance Bo did to start and came up a bit short. He'll get his chances to start showing his stuff and if he is Cam 2.0 he will start eventually. 

The way to make a 2 qb situation work is with a clear #1 and Bo has earned that so far. If he falters and gatewood shows he can actually hand off sometimes and read a defense well and throw some strikes he could surpass Bo as #1. Until then, he is a number 2 being brought along slowly. I have a feeling we will see a few wrinkles against Texas A&M with Gatewood, unless Gus gets tunnel vision and forgets to play him.

7 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

But what I'm saying is that Gatewood needs a game to run the full offense

Absolutely, but for starters, I'd at least like to see a full quarter if not a few drives where Gatewood has the full complement of plays. I cannot fathom why Gus couldn't have done that both of the last 2 games. What harm would it cause if he struggled a bit? None. He learns from it and is a better QB for it. In fact, all parties are better off for it.

4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Absolutely, but for starters, I'd at least like to see a full quarter if not a few drives where Gatewood has the full complement of plays. I cannot fathom why Gus couldn't have done that both of the last 2 games. What harm would it cause if he struggled a bit? None. He learns from it and is a better QB for it. In fact, all parties are better off for it.

Right. It seems asinine to think otherwise. Especially when you consider during the first game at Oregon how "close" Gus highlighted that they were together. QB1a and QB1b I think he said.

From a purely football perspective, its odd.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tiger88 said:

Well, it was more than that when it was suggested he start a game. 

He had every chance Bo did to start and came up a bit short. He'll get his chances to start showing his stuff and if he is Cam 2.0 he will start eventually. 

The way to make a 2 qb situation work is with a clear #1 and Bo has earned that so far. If he falters and gatewood shows he can actually hand off sometimes and read a defense well and throw some strikes he could surpass Bo as #1. Until then, he is a number 2 being brought along slowly. I have a feeling we will see a few wrinkles against Texas A&M with Gatewood, unless Gus gets tunnel vision and forgets to play him.

I’m not questioning bo as #1, I’m questioning the repeated use of the back up in run duty under gus, it happens every single year. While all these other schools are letting their back up qbs run the full offense when they come in the game.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Gus isn't the one in here defending his decisions with nothing more than "the guy who rolled out that offense against Clemson in 2016- and 2017, for that matter- and blew that lead against Ed Orgeron in 2017 knows best and you're all stupid for doubting him".

Even Gus has admitted several of his mistakes. Why his apologists insist on his infallibility is beyond anyone's comprehension.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m not questioning bo as #1, I’m questioning the repeated use of the back up in run duty under gus, it happens every single year. While all these other schools are letting their back up qbs run the full offense when they come in the game.

Exactly I don’t think I’ve seen many if any here really having a Bo Nix vs. Gatewood argument. It’s actually kind of odd some seem so sensitive and defensive about the concept of letting JG pass.

We all want Auburn to succeed no matter who is at QB right?...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Exactly I don’t think I’ve seen many if any here really having a Bo Nix vs. Gatewood argument. It’s actually kind of odd some seem so sensitive and defensive about the concept of letting JG pass.

See my "AU Family" synopsis.

It'd be a JJ all over again. Except Bo can play.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The way CGM handles the backup QBs should be criminal.. it is mind blowing. Joey should have played 3rd and 4th qt with the playbook open to him. We all know what he can do with his legs.. that is not a surprise. 

• Like 2

Here’s a note: on the replay, 9:00 left in the 4th on the play when JG is getting the signal, look at joey’s grin.

• Like 1

I am curious about one thing. Does anybody know how many 3rd and medium or 3rd and long situations we had with Joey in the game? I just wonder if we had many obvious passing downs? I don't get why we don't throw. Maybe it is something in his old high school DNA about not running up the score...I just can't think of any other logical reason. Like, we get a good lead, reserves come in, and we just go vanilla run plays and kill clock. If that is true, and I know it is a stretch, but it pissed me off. There is no such thing as running the score up. If the other team doesn't want to be embarrassed....then STOP US.

• Love 1

40 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Ok, so I think quite a few people are trying to misconstrue this into a "Take the job away from Bo Nix" thread. Its not...
Far from it actually. If Bo is as good as quite a few fans believe that he is, then allowing Gatewood to come in and run a full-scheme offense in game time would solidify and allow for Bo to relax knowing "He is better than Gatewood by a mile." The fact that we don't see that leads to this cloud over his head and fan pressure.

My point still remains, Gatewood in game time is an unknown at QB... Not wildcat, but at QB. There is the argument that Bo needs as much experience as he can get,  but the kid is a starter a TRUE FRESHMAN. That means if any coach is thinking like an actual coach that will go the distance, then he will have years of experience as well as time against tough opponents when the time comes. Gatewood definitely needs more than practice experience passing and making reads against different defenses that aren't just ran by a scout team. (Note, practices aren't just best on best all the time.) 

Gus doesn't quite have the best record with QBs that are determined to be the starters at the beginning of the year. Excluding Stidham, we've always been in a situation where it turns out that Gus' practice evaluation of QBs turns out to be misleading. How is this situation any different? A lot of the same people that cheer Bo to death were the biggest advocates to ditch Jeremy Johnson for Sean White, citing that Gus was wrong. Why is there such a hesitation to doubt Gus' judgement now? Has he shown you anything in the past seasons that have put you in complete glowing faith of his methods? Clearly not because we wouldn't have the rounds of "Gus Hotseat" threads every year. 

But what I am trying to illustrate is one picture:

- The offense sputtered and looked languished at points in the game against Kent state. Probably because our typical run scheme (inside zone) and deep route + screen pass combos were enough to allow the defense to get complacent.
+ That same defense (yes I'll cede that it was worn down) knew that Gatewood would be running the ball and yet we still effortlessly marched it down the field twice scoring both times in 5 minutes in succession. That to me seems quite a lot more efficient and explosive than trying to give a passing game that is already bereft of creativity and a true freshman QB time to win on the merits of arm alone. Lesser Opposition? Of course, but its a strategy Gus is comfortable and familiar with. 

- Bo Nix is not a scrambling QB or even a remote threat running the ball. Can he get yards on the ground in ZRs? Yes, but that's very different from having a dangerous running ability that makes defenses wary of your speed and agility and require special attention such as contain rushes, spies, and zone coverage shells as opposed to man. Most QBs are capable of scrambling but very few deserve or command special game plans to deal with that. 
+ Joey Gatewood is regarded as a scrambling QB, there is no doubt about that. I wish we knew how he passed in order to make some evaluation of this but the point still remains, Gatewood requires defenses to change in order to handle his running ability. We do have Gus to thank for that. Here is the advantage of a scrambling QB, and this is football knowledge from someone who has done this. Defensive Line and Linebacker coaches DRILL into their player's heads not to lose contain and to keep "rush lane integrity" against running QBs because of the fact that it gives them a free alley to escape. The effect?

1. Pass rushers live on the threat of being able to knife inside or use inside counters. When you're restricted to winning via speed to power or trying to dip (which most college rushers suck at. I know this because flexibility routines aren't drilled in college as they are within the pros. I know while I was playing it was rare that we ever even had a day dedicated to stretching. Even the brief time I spent at Auburn around the team..) which is a severe cut for most except the elite rushers in leagues. There is no off the line bob-swipe, no delay arm-bars, no Ice-Pick Spin Moves.

2. Defenses that have to play 11 on 11 football are a lot less ambiguous and MUCH less dangerous. When you have to devote specific linebackers to spy, you remove an aspect of coverage over the middle and open up the intermediate game (This is a can of worms in and for itself because of our reluctance to use those routes.) But you take a defender out of coverage and can open up the seam and make windows much larger when the linebacker assigned to spy can't actually drift back in coverage because he has to shadow a QB that can run. That alone can improve the passing ability of a scrambler versus a more traditional passer. They literally play an entirely different game coverage-wise. 

3. Blitzes and coverages are extremely different against rushers. Its always been ill-advised to throw man or combo coverages against scrambling QBs because of the fact that in Man coverage your back will be to the QB and you're going to be in a trail position. This limits the defense to zone or allows for big run game chunks. Zone defenses are more limited in their blitz selection. For one thing you have to bring corner blitzes, fire-zones, and 2nd level deep safety blitzes. There are disadvantages to each that significantly help out the coordinators as well as QBs. The main issue is that with zone blitzes is that they are the leading causes of busted coverages. Its very hard to program multiple zone blitzes into a single defenses because they require a lot of mental effort to prevent busts. Corner Zone Blitzes are easy to read, and 2nd level deep safety blitzes almost predominantly leave you in Cover 3 and take a while to hit home. Those are goldmines for QBs and rushing QBs especially since they have the added maneuverability to avoid the blitz and get rid of the ball to the holes in the zone. Man-Blitzes tend to be more dependable because of the fact that they still allow EVERYONE to be accounted for and allow the QB VERY LITTLE TIME to get rid of the ball, especially if they're in press man. The problem is that past that small window, man-blitzes are 0 blitzes most often which means against decent WRs that can get separation, they're instant TDs if the QB
can buy more time and the RB can pick up an extra Blitzer.

-Our run game is very malnourished. Its no surprise that this year we don't have a dominant bell-cow running back that can just get yards himself without a little assistance. Or maybe we do but they don't get enough snaps. (Looking at you Joiner). The problem is that our ZR-style handoff (its really just a handoff from the gun but people can't distinguish that from the ZR and it slows a defense down too.) is almost ALWAYS going to the RB which doesn't give the defense enough to think about. Its no wonder that its easier for LBs to get downhill and help clog up those playside A gaps and Backside B's.
+ Gus's offense has ALWAYS been better with a mobile QB at the helm. Its because of the fact that its another set of dangerous hands to account for in the run game which pulls defenses in and slows their attacking down. You have to play sound and fundamental defense against a defense that can literally give the ball to 3 people on any given snap. Defenses suddenly have to act like they're playing zone coverage because someone has to be responsible in case the jet-sweep motion gets the ball, the RB takes it in a dive, or the QB gets it. With Joey, that's a threat. It has not been a threat since the days pre Stidham. This helps the RBs out because they can get a step on LBs who either are reading too long or have to actually respect the QB and sweep and can't aggressively penetrate lest they lose a step. It also takes a player off as if its a true ZR, the backside end or possible overhang player has to stay home and if flow goes away, they're at a disadvantage in numbers. This is why Gatewood could move the ball so easily despite the fact that the defense knew it was run.

Imagine this sort of pre-snap arithmetic against a QB that could not only possibly run a ZR but also pass. That's a lot to think about and it automatically creates an advantage for the offense prior to the snap. That makes your offense tremendously more explosive. That's what we had in the NM and Cam Newton days that made this same bland scheme we run seem more explosive despite the fact that its the same. 

To conclude, I'm not saying that Gatewood NEEDS TO BE THE STARTED OVER BO NIX!

But what I'm saying is that Gatewood needs a game (or part of a game) to run the full offense to explore my point in bold because of the aforementioned reasons listed above the bold. Its not an indictment on Bo. I've said time and time again that I think Bo is a Freshman phenom, but I question the suitability for Gus and our offense. I think Gus wants to prove that he can develop a passing QB out of pride and is resisting the urge to simply throw Gatewood in and endure more of the same critiques that threaten his legitimacy as an "offensive guru."

You can tell thats on his mind given the fact that he started to call the plays again.

Also PS:

I remember there was a question of what I meant about Auburn's "Culture" and why it predisposes Auburn to want Bo Nix to succeed so much despite there being a lot more of an affinity with Gatewood. Look no further than the name of the forums. These are called "Auburn Family" Forums. Bo Nix is the EPITOME of that Auburn Family idea that is clever marketing to differentiate Auburn from other power football schools. The fact that we want FAMILY and connections. Its the reason people are reluctant in firing Gus, he is Family to that miraculous 2011 run w/ Cam Newton, one of our most successful QBs ever. 

Bo is named after an Auburn Legend and son of an Auburn Legend during the time when an Auburn Legend coached. Bo has ALWAYS wanted to come to Auburn and play here. 

The writing is on the wall for what a story it is for him to start as a True Freshman and for a lot of people who value that idea of the Auburn Family over cold hard football efficiency its like protecting the legitimacy of the Auburn Family idea. Benching him would be a bastardization of that idea and admission of the fact that we've been one of those cold football schools all along. Even subconsciously I'm sure that this is a strong reason for opposition to the idea because we know that Gus isn't known for having the greatest plan for his QBs pre-season.

And imagine if Bo transferred, that would be the WORST of optics.

That's what I meant about "culture" 

Good analysis,  but we'll never know either because (1) Bo will not be allowed to run it enough to know if he's a threat or not (2) We very well may not know the full extent of Joey's capabilities in game until Bo gets injured or struggles immensely. They're both being sold a half assed bill of goods IMO. I was direly hoping to see Joey throw the ball with at minimum the same sporadic efficiency as Bo has shown. They're both young and they both need some development.  I'm afraid they may never get it if history is an indication. Wde

23 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Gus is gonna be Gus. The most we can hope for is that he's been saving a big gatewood surprise for A/M, but that's being optimistic when it comes to Gus. We've already seen the Red Sea part when it comes to Gus with him letting Bo do so much as a true freshman.  He'll let Gatewood throw more soon and if he does well, he will start to open it up more for Gatewood. Asking Gus to make huge leaps leads to nothing but frustration. 

• Like 1

Honestly I don’t know why people including myself gets wrapped in these arguments . Gus has shown he is not going to give his back ups much pub. When he does , he goes very very vanilla. It is who he is. The only way JG will get true reps will be when it is thrusted upon him at an inopportune moment. At this point I am done getting riled up about it.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am curious about one thing. Does anybody know how many 3rd and medium or 3rd and long situations we had with Joey in the game? I just wonder if we had many obvious passing downs? I don't get why we don't throw. Maybe it is something in his old high school DNA about not running up the score...I just can't think of any other logical reason. Like, we get a good lead, reserves come in, and we just go vanilla run plays and kill clock. If that is true, and I know it is a stretch, but it pissed me off. There is no such thing as running the score up. If the other team doesn't want to be embarrassed....then STOP US.

They still need development regardless of the score. Kent State isn't paying Gus's salary,  Auburn is. Players like Bo and Joey got him the money he makes he owes the the courtesy of real development. 

1 minute ago, leglessdan said:

They still need development regardless of the score. Kent State isn't paying Gus's salary,  Auburn is. Players like Bo and Joey got him the money he makes he owes the the courtesy of real development. 

I could not agree more. That's what I am saying. I just don't get it. I run through possible reasons for this in my head and try to think outside my own box and I come up with:

A- Joey can't pass. If this is the case, I don't get how it was such a QB competition to begin with. I don't get why he is still a QB and not a TE or somewhere more useful. Rule that out.

B-He doesn't want to put anymore on film than he has to and once we have a decent lead he wants to keep his simple passing schemes close to the vest. If this is the case though, I think most would agree the lack of development hurts a hell of a lot worse than teams being able to see our back up QB throw screens and Go routes. 

C- doesn't want to run the score up. Only 3 that I can come up with, and none make sense to me.

11 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Bo will not be allowed to run it enough to know if he's a threat or not

I was happy to see Bo keep it a couple times last night. I think Bo has not only shown he is more than capable of being a good enough running threat to keep Defenses honest, but to make them pay here and there as well.

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

Just let me know when you leave his bedroom and  finish up sniffing his drawers and I'll do that.

59 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It's true. It's intentional. And it's maddening.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly I don’t know why people including myself gets wrapped in these arguments . Gus has shown he is not going to give his back ups much pub. When he does , he goes very very vanilla. It is who he is. The only way JG will get true reps will be when it is thrusted upon him at an u opportune moment. At this point I am done getting riled up about it.

Because there's a half dozen folks in here that just aint hearing it. No matter which camp you're in, this matter is just not debatable. When backup players go on the field it should be to play football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Here’s a note: on the replay, 9:00 left in the 4th on the play when JG is getting the signal, look at joey’s grin.

I noticed that during the game last night. Then when I saw the play, I thought maybe he should work on his poker face just a bit.😬