Linebacker Play

AUght2win

Scares me. All those screens and QB scrambles to convert 3rd downs are entirely because of lack of LB Awareness and Instinct. I think KJ can be great, but he has to pick it up. And stop celebrating every time he makes a stop after a gain of 2. 

Wooten seems to be the most disciplined in knowing where the ball is going. Pappoe is going to be an all-time great. Just hope the unit can pull it together before we get into the heart of conference play.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Scares me. All those screens and QB scrambles to convert 3rd downs are entirely because of lack of LB Awareness and Instinct. I think KJ can be great, but he has to pick it up. And stop celebrating every time he makes a stop after a gain of 2. 

Wooten seems to be the most disciplined in knowing where the ball is going. Pappoe is going to be an all-time great. Just hope the unit can pull it together before we get into the heart of conference play.

It’s good that they got burned on a few screen passes in game like this, so the coaches can teach them how to avoid that in the future. 

If any of our opponents are watching film at all they are going to screen pass us to death.  That was an awful job of recognition and KS did it time and time again.  I wonder if their OL was so bad our guys didn’t recognize when they were being turned loose.  

50 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Screens were on the DL, IMO

Exactly the DL has to read that and fall back. How are 2 LB’s supposed to take on the whole OL running right at them and still somehow squeeze through and make the tackle

Screens are schemed and sometimes the right play call at the right time during a blitz for example. They schemed our 3rd down defense well early. 

I also saw the D adjust to the screens like they did against Oregon.  That play inside the 10 that McCreary blew up was phenomenal.  Usually the D line recognizes how easy they break through and look for the screen.  Davidson noticed on one of them but was too late to cover it. Kent was very good at their execution on those plays as well. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

depends on what type of screen they were running? the slow developing screen is on the LBs to recognize and quickly move in and beat the lineman trying to block them.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

our D-Line has been disciplined for the most part since Marlon was a Freshman so hope this was an aberration.    Maybe just a case of wanting to get a sack instead of playing smart

I'm not afraid of the screen passes. We always have a little hole in our D somewhere. Oregon killed us all day on what was really just three or four long broken plays. They only actually drove the field on us once. We're adjusters on defense, and whether dominate, or barely adequate, we're almost always good enough. Linebackers look good for their age. We'll win or lose with our offense imo.

Auburn will win or lose with the entire team.   In my opinion, The offense will not out score anyone in a shootout ( 49 to 42 type game).  Also, I don’t think that the defense is good enough to keep Alabama, LSU and Georgia under 30.  

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Screens are never on the DL. You teach defensive linemen to be agressive and pounce on EVERY opportunity to hit the QB. If they do suspect a screen, get hands up. But it's a linebackers job to snuff it out. 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Screens are never on the DL. You teach defensive linemen to be agressive and pounce on EVERY opportunity to hit the QB. If they do suspect a screen, get hands up. But it's a linebackers job to snuff it out. 

Agree to disagree. Many coaches teach the D-Linemen to react to the lack of force when they read screen and turn their pursuit to the HB. If it is too late then hands up. Not to just continue after the QB when they are leaving their LB against 5 OL

That's funny

So defensive lineman should charge upfield, pass the releasing olineman, thus leaving them free to road grade the linebackers as the  lbs close in on the play.

Okaaaayyyyy

7 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

So defensive lineman should charge upfield, pass the releasing olineman, thus leaving them free to road grade the linebackers as the  lbs close in on the play.

Okaaaayyyyy

Half a league, half a league, Half a league onward...

The only position group that can really disrupt a RB screen is the DL, especially if the secondary is in man coverage. But you know...

19 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Okaaaayyyyy

Go watch film on any/all screen passes and tell me what % of tackles are made by D linemen.

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It really is. Two weeks ago you argue for not going for 2 up 5, now saying D linemen are supposed to make screen pass tackles.

Out of your depth...

24 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Okaaaayyyyy

The alternative is for D lineman to run away from the QB like he has the plague, refusing to apply pressure? Look if you have a great D lineman who can identify the play and make it, great. But a pass rusher's job is to rush the passer.

The O line is going to give an initial punch. They don't just Olay-block. Good ones will make the D-lineman believe he won the matchup, not that the OL is intentionally letting him go. Asking a lot to have your D linemen cap their aggression by coaching them to drop back, ever. When in doubt, get to the QB. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Oh absolutely, bird.

Glad you know but to show I'm wrong, please explain how a defense in man coverage is to defend the RB screen,.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Glad you know but to show I'm wrong, please explain how a defense in man coverage is to defend the RB screen,.

It's too far out of my depth.

But depending on the scheme (pure man? Man zone combo? Blitz?) a LB will be assigned to the runningback. Quick read, dodge the fatties, get to the ball. Hopefully there's enough pressure to where a wall doesn't have time to form. The best a DL can do by killing their pass rush is flush a screen to the sideline or cause a bad pass. Marlon is pretty good at this. But I don't think I have ever seen a DL turn completely around and tackle an RB on a completed screen.

Archived