Linebacker Play

AUght2win

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Did someone call for an expert? I'm here. My expertise is in eating deep dish pizza. I'm also considered an expert at eating hot wings but I like to think I have something to offer in anything fat

The important question here Cole is this...if you are headed back to the buffet for more pizza and wings after your 4th trip...Is it the Linebackers or the DL responsibility to stop you??? 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Did someone call for an expert? I'm here. My expertise is in eating deep dish pizza. I'm also considered an expert at eating hot wings but I like to think I have something to offer in anything fat

I just realized I can get Gino's East out of the grocery store freezer where I live. Better than no deep dish at all or avoid it?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I just realized I can get Gino's East out of the grocery store freezer where I live. Better than no deep dish at all or avoid it?

It's one here in Texas! Didn't know until I drove by it on the way to the Oregon game! What a day! I didn't know they sold them at grocery stores, I've never had one. Gotta be worth trying though....that's it not on game day. Try it on Thursday night football for a test!

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

The important question here Cole is this...if you are headed back to the buffet for more pizza and wings after your 4th trip...Is it the Linebackers or the DL responsibility to stop you??? 

Hmmmm to stop my fat ass from pizza? No way we have that type of talent on our roster

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It's amazing how above-it you and Bird are. You guys prefer to scoff without actually talking X's and O's. Wonder why that is. 

When you actually can, I will.

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

It's amazing how above-it you and Bird are. You guys prefer to scoff without actually talking X's and O's. Wonder why that is. 

Bird was talking Xs & Os with you before your post on screens. A good screen can take advantage of over aggressive DL play (it's a real thing). To assume otherwise is silly at best. Not every DL scheme is penetration based, especially going against a screen heavy team. There are some DL schemes out there specifically to clog the OL up so the LBs are free to make plays. An over aggressive DL who penetrates when he's not supposed to can leave his LB open to getting blocked thus making the screen more effective than if the DL just kept the OL from getting to the LB.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Bird was talking Xs & Os with you before your post on screens. A good screen can take advantage of over aggressive DL play (it's a real thing). To assume otherwise is silly at best. Not every DL scheme is penetration based, especially going against a screen heavy team. There are some DL schemes out there specifically to clog the OL up so the LBs are free to make plays. An over aggressive DL who penetrates when he's not supposed to can leave his LB open to getting blocked thus making the screen more effective than if the DL just kept the OL from getting to the LB.

There are also instances, against an extremely mobile qb, where the dline will not rush the passer so much, but create an envelope. To keep him nice and cozy inside the pocket..

6 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

There are also instances, against an extremely mobile qb, where the dline will not rush the passer so much, but create an envelope. To keep him nice and cozy inside the pocket..

Yup but A2W probably be like

86d6d4ef-b4e1-4eb4-8aeb-3b2ea779cb18_tex

ba65b0c7-edb0-42d6-a984-071fa5d852a6_tex

6 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This is absolute madness that you would insinuate that any coach would teach a D-Lineman to anything other than go B@LLs out at the QB with no regard for anything other than putting him on the ground!!!!! Are you kidding me? just ask AUght2win...they will clear this up quickly hehe.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

I just flat disagree that there are pass-rush schemes where the DL is taught to not get penetration. If you want to keep a mobile QB at bay, as Sumter said, I understand a containment rush where the ends are taught to fight outside and primarily keep the QB in the pocket. But they are still trying to sack the guy. They still are focused on pressure. Ask any DB how much fun it is to try and cover for 5-7 seconds. 

An "Over-aggressive defensive line" is not a thing. Over aggressive LBs are a thing. An over aggressive overall defensive scheme and playcalling is a thing. Even an individual end (like Moultry, for instance) can be over aggressive in flying up field passed the tackle. But the idea that someone could look on film and say "Ah-HA! Their 4 down linemen rush the passer too hard. Let's exploit that!" is silly.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

Also, what qualifies as a "screen-heavy team"? 5 screens per game? 8? I have never seen such a thing because the screen is predicated on being used sparingly, at the right time. And we are talking RB screens. Not pop-up screens or bubbles. Those are much more common, but don't involve the DL. 

16 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This is absolute madness that you would insinuate that any coach would teach a D-Lineman to anything other than go B@LLs out at the QB with no regard for anything other than putting him on the ground!!!!! Are you kidding me? just ask AUght2win...they will clear this up quickly hehe.

LMAO. Again. Just someone tell me what Marlon and the boys should have done differently on this play:

20190917_120126.jpg

20190917_120041.jpg

20190917_120055.jpg

20190917_120107.jpg

16 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

There is a reason the Halfback screen is most often called by the "perfect playcall" when the defense blitzes. No LBs are home to make the stop. Never heard that description when it's called against a base 4 man rush. 

What you guys are talking about defies common sense.

17 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

As a former high school DE, I got burned pretty badly in a game by running full speed straight at a mobile QB.  He easily got outside of my slow a$$ and ran for about 20 yards before he was forced out of bounds.  That was a tough lesson, but after that, I never forgot about my responsibility for outside containment.

Archived