Was last night a precursor to an offensive identity in 2019?

StatTiger

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

Gus Malzahn has been a part of the Auburn offense for ten seasons now, and we have witnessed enough games to know his strengths and weaknesses. His offense has always been one to run to set up the pass. There are 123 games in the Auburn record books, documenting the productivity of Malzahn’s offense. As much as we want his offense to evolve or to become more exotic when it comes to the passing game, Malzahn will always be Malzahn. If the running game is clicking, Auburn is almost certain to win, and when it struggles, a loss is likely to happen. Of the ten seasons, there have been four when Auburn produced more impact plays running the football than passing. It includes this season with 17 impact plays on the ground and 11 through the air. These four teams combined for a record of 37-7. The remaining six teams that produced more impact plays, throwing the football, combined for a record of 49-30.

The bottom line is winning and winning football on offense usually is the result of making the most of the available talent. If we’re honest about Auburn’s best skill players, it screams for Auburn to be a run-heavy offense. Auburn’s two quarterbacks can make plays with their feet, and Jatarvious Whitlow currently leads the team with six impact plays. Auburn’s Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove give Auburn two more playmakers in the running game. I still believe Shaun Shivers will be a significant component in the offense if provided the touches. If D.J. Williams can return healthy, he will give Auburn another solid downhill runner. Auburn is 68-12 from 2009-2019 with over 200 yards rushing and 26-3 with at least 140 yards rushing combined with a Kevin Steele defense. Auburn is playing with two freshman quarterbacks, and the starter is a true freshman. At least for now, Auburn needs to lean on their running game and defense until Nix matures on the field.

This is an offense that could transition into a similar version of 2014 with the added ability of RPO plays. Bo Nix will never be the caliber of runner as Nick Marshall, but he certainly can make first downs and score inside the red zone, running with the football. Add Joey Gatewood to the mix as the wildcat quarterback and Auburn has some of the inside power element from 2010. Like Nix, the more reps Gatewood takes, the more plays that can be added to his menu as the season progresses. If this is the direction Malzahn is taking the offense, then it is one step closer to finally having an offensive identity in 2019. Is this the perfect offensive solution? Perhaps not but it is ideal for a Gus Malzahn offense and the personnel currently available.

War Eagle!

Man that sounds easy because Gus wants to run the ball it will be that way.  Problem is it will not be easy because defenses are going to be gearing up to take this away since they figure the can cover receivers since our pass plays are limited.

We dont have a Screen passing program to control blitzes and our opponents will certainly take advantage of that.  A screen game can also be used as an extension of our run game and another way of using our running back to generate impact plays.  

Using two running backs in the zone read attack so the defense will not know which side the play is going to and also making a double option into a triple option.

It is a good strategy to employ the running attack a the primary weapon but gus has got to evolve that attack and what worked in the past wont work now without evolving the scheme.

I am not ready to be hennie penny and say the sky is falling just yet but I am very concerned about the direction of the program.

Edited by Carnell
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

It has been said ad nauseum but this points to the basic problem that I believe will result in perpetual average/slightly above average results that we have seen since 2013. This philosophy works against the Kent States and even the mid-/lower tier SEC teams. It will not work consistently againt the UA/UGa/LSU/Clemsons of the world. This year especially, with an average at best OL, I am not optimistic for the results. I hope that I am proven wrong. If I'm not, I suspect that this year might be Gus' swan song.

Edited by fredst
  • Like 4
  • Dislike 1

He wins when the run game is clicking and loses when it is not. Go figure. I don't think we can buy beer with this identity though. Every three or four years a special player comes along and validates this identify. It's a stupid looking hopeless quagmire at all other times. We'll have to wait and see.

For the record: the average identity in football is using every weapon on earth to try to beat the life out of the opponent from every angle no matter the score. I wish the goal was the scoreboard with the run-game as a possible vehicle. But alas, the run-game is the goal and let the score board lay where it lay. 

• Like 3

I hope so because it very apparent yesterday that uat’s defense did not function well at all against SC’s fast paced offense yesterday. Had usce not shot theirselves in the foot with overthrows dropped passes and costly penalties the could have score a lot yesterday. Our defense is much better than usce and I think if we can keep up the fast pace we can beat uat this year.

Edited by Eagle Eye 7
  • Like 1

With these 2 QBs, this offense needs to be balanced at the QB position to be successful. The QB has to be able to take the pounding of a running QB and still complete passes at a reasonable rate. Whoever can achieve that balance the best without sacrificing one phase for the other should be out there. 

• Like 1

The competition level increases this week. Everyone will see how inadequate Auburn's offense is. It will be the same thing we've seen the past few years and still people support Gus; which I've said before baffles me. 

Agreed but if we’re going to be run heavy than Nix needs to keep more of the zone read plays. He’s a better runner than many here give him credit for being.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So as pretty much every top tier team has moved to a more balanced and perhaps a more pass based attack, Gus believes that taking it back a few decades is the best way to win (with a mediocre at best OL), great. 

• Like 1

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

I hope not.  We're about to face a lot better defenses than we have so far and last nights game plan ain't gonna work against SEC front 7s.

23 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I hope not.  We're about to face a lot better defenses than we have so far and last nights game plan ain't gonna work against SEC front 7s.

Of course it will. Trust Gus, he knows all. He has the trophy case to prove it.

Last night Malzahn had an opportunity to develop much needed depth at the Wide Receiver position and failed miserably. Hill, McClain and Farrar needed to be involved in the game plan and catch multiple passes each.

Instead, Malzahn beats up on an vastly inferior opponent and gives the illusion that all is well with Auburn's run game. Same ole Gus.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Last night Malzahn had an opportunity to develop much needed depth at the Wide Receiver position and failed miserably. Hill, McClain and Farrar needed to be involved in the game plan and catch multiple passes each.

Instead, Malzahn beats up on an vastly inferior opponent and gives the illusion that all is well with Auburn's run game. Same ole Gus.

Do you really expect Auburn to expose the game plan for this season against inferior opponents if we don't have to?

We shall see against A&M just how good or bad this offense is then let the judgements begin. It just never stops......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Do you really expect Auburn to expose the game plan for this season against inferior opponents if we don't have to?

We shall see against A&M just how good or bad this offense is then let the judgements begin. It just never stops......

With gus what you see is what you get.  In past years people thought that he was holding back on his game plan due to the opponent only to see the same thing when playing an SEC foe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gus is still in the tinkering phase of the season, which lasts through game 4.  I fully expect us to lose this week, then Gus makes a few changes and we go on a tear until a critical injury blows up our season just as UGA approaches.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

With gus what you see is what you get.  In past years people thought that he was holding back on his game plan due to the opponent only to see the same thing when playing an SEC foe.

Like I said , we shall see.

18 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

With these 2 QBs, this offense needs to be balanced at the QB position to be successful. The QB has to be able to take the pounding of a running QB and still complete passes at a reasonable rate. Whoever can achieve that balance the best without sacrificing one phase for the other should be out there. 

Is there any evidence to suggest Nix can take a pounding? Just wondering. He certainly isn't as big as JG.

27 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Is there any evidence to suggest Nix can take a pounding? Just wondering. He certainly isn't as big as JG.

With Nix, I don't feel he needs to be used extensively in the power run game, but a ZR keeper every 5-6 runs would keep the defense honest enough to be effective. At 6-2 210, he isn't exactly frail. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Gus is still in the tinkering phase of the season, which lasts through game 4.  I fully expect us to lose this week, then Gus makes a few changes and we go on a tear until a critical injury blows up our season just as UGA approaches.

Gaaaawd, you have got the script nailed.

Get well cards can be sent to Boobee via the AD. 

We are not built to line up like we were in 2013 and  enforce our will.   It just isn't there. We have to have an efficient running game and it has to include the QB, the unaccounted player.  So the read option and the power sweeps and a short passing game is necessary.  But you have to run the middle to keep the defense honest.  If both QB's are efficient as Nick was in reading the DE and knowing when to keep it or give it away it will drive this offense.  Kent State had us totally confused defensively  a lot with their little "dressing" so don't count out the Gus 'trickery"

1 hour ago, ChltteTiger said:

When Nick Marshall took over I was wondering the same thing as he was not even close to the same metrics as Cam.  Worked out well for Nick, as the season plays out we will see if Bo can lessen the affects of the blows as well as Nick.

22 hours ago, StatTiger said:

and 26-3 with at least 140 yards rushing combined with a Kevin Steele defense.

That is a very impressive statistic! Any chance you could reveal who the 3 losses were?