Equivalency Scholarships for ALL sports...

steeleagle

Interesting article on the SEC looking into changing how we give out scholarships for sports other than football and basketball.

It would use a head count for giving out scholarships. For ex. baseball gives out 11.7 scholarships, but could give out 25 if this ever was implemented.

I've always felt that NCAA schools especially the SEC schools could afford this, and give ALL student-athletes the chance to receive a scholarship.

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/09/sec-considering-most-revolutionary-change-to-college-sports-since-title-ix-how-it-could-impact-pac-12-schools.html

Not going to click on al.com link, but love the idea that we actually gave out full scholarships to all student athletes.  They all work very hard at their craft and deserve it.

8 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Not going to click on al.com link, but love the idea that we actually gave out full scholarships to all student athletes.  They all work very hard at their craft and deserve it.

A few things to consider.  Most of the big schools could probably afford it, most of the less financially strong programs could not afford it and would have to drop some sports programs to pay for the added scholarships.   Just being in a major conference or Power 5 does not mean the athletic programs are rich. 

The majority of sports at almost every major school is in the "non-revenue" category and adding more scholarships just would put those programs deeper in debt. 

I'd like to see more baseball scholarships but that would necessitate an equal number of scholarships for female sports....so with 20 NCAA sports at AU, or maybe 22, how far do you go with the added schollys? ….and of course the vast majority would be paid for by the football program and student activity fees. 

I get your point @AU64, but I also know and understand that not all college's could afford this today.  However, I fully believe the money is there.  Between the money made from the sport itself; extra money made from the profitable sport(s) [Not sure where basketball falls here so wasn't sure if the s was needed or not]; and if all schools are forced to do this, then maybe we will quit paying our coaches $10m a year and that money can get back under control.  Just take some of the $ from the football coaches from all the schools and you could easily pay for those scholarships.  The salaries these guys are making is insane.  I get why professional athletes are making crazy money because they have a limited time.  But coaches are coaching forever.  There is no reason to be paying these guys 5, 7, 10, 12 million a year.  Legislation coming down like this that enforced it on all schools would help us cap some of that and put it to the kids that deserve it.  I am not saying it will happen.  I just think it is crazy that some of these kids are working so hard to be in athletics in college and yet they have to go out and get jobs and everything just to be able to stay in school.  Then you got the football team traveling with tooters to help them pass their classes.

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

The salaries these guys are making is insane.  I get why professional athletes are making crazy money because they have a limited time.  But coaches are coaching forever.  There is no reason to be paying these guys 5, 7, 10, 12 million a year. 

Can't disagree but as long as this is a free country and supply/demand is considered.....some coaches are gonna demand big salaries and some schools are gonna pay it. The one percenters in any field pretty much make ridiculous money.   Without doing research there are probably 200,000 coaches in the US...maybe more...and maybe a couple hundred make over a million. 

43 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't disagree but as long as this is a free country and supply/demand is considered.....some coaches are gonna demand big salaries and some schools are gonna pay it. The one percenters in any field pretty much make ridiculous money.   Without doing research there are probably 200,000 coaches in the US...maybe more...and maybe a couple hundred make over a million. 

fair guestimate

Archived