2021 Softball Recruiting Thread

Recent post on the 2020 SB recruiting topic.  I will add players I have on a list from earlier this year.  As far as I can tell they are still committed.

2021 1B/3B Bri Ellis just committed to Auburn. She was a former Texas A&M commit.

From the info I could find on her, in her two years and 60 total games of H.S. softball she has a BA of .414, 25 HR’s, and 82 RBI’s. 

Also one 2018 FloSoftball article said that Ellis hit 7 home runs in 10 games at the 2018 Tulsa Elite Shootout.

My Additions:

Abbey Smith, utility

Aubrey Barnhart, C/3B

Aubrie Lisenby, C (Thunderbolts)

Jessie Blaine, C

keri Munn, P

Riley McNemar 2B/1B

Rose Roach, SS/utility

Rylie Moody, SS/2B

Kendal Calvert, OF

Edited by slot canyon
addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Recent post on the 2020 SB recruiting topic.  I will add players I have on a list from earlier this year.  As far as I can tell they are still committed.

2021 1B/3B Bri Ellis just committed to Auburn. She was a former Texas A&M commit.

From the info I could find on her, in her two years and 60 total games of H.S. softball she has a BA of .414, 25 HR’s, and 82 RBI’s. 

Also one 2018 FloSoftball article said that Ellis hit 7 home runs in 10 games at the 2018 Tulsa Elite Shootout.

My Additions:

Abbey Smith, utility

Aubrey Barnhart, C/3B

Aubrie Lisenby, C (Thunderbolts)

Jessie Blaine, C

keri Munn, P

Riley McNemar 2B/1B

Rose Roach, SS/utility

Rylie Moody, SS/2B

interesting only 1 pitcher in the bunch. I looked her up and Munn amazingly was an 8th grade commit(which I guess is another Meyers leftover?). Her stats are good not great as a P but its so early..

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

interesting only 1 pitcher in the bunch. I looked her up and Munn amazingly was an 8th grade commit(which I guess is another Meyers leftover?). Her stats are good not great as a P but its so early..

Yes, we are still seeing some players who committed prior to enactment of the new rules not allowing contact and official visits prior to their junior year of high school.  As regards pitching, Dismukes this year is highly regarded and two highly ranked pitchers are "scheduled" to sign this November for next years class so I am hopeful we will be developing some quality depth at that point.  If someone in this years class steps up all the better.

Jessie Blaine, listed above, has had some interesting articles and one caught my eye.  It is lengthy so I will post the link only:

https://www.insidenova.com/sports/prince_william/auburn-softball-commitment-jessie-blaine-gives-quantico-high-school-s/article_9a764e58-3438-11e9-92e2-d3319d2770b6.html

18 hours ago, auburnfan247 said:

That's huge.  We will have a need at both spots after next year. 

• Like 1

Updated the OP list with addition of Kendal Calvert an outfielder from New Palestine, Indiana who plays for Georgia Impact travel team.  Her sister, Jaylin Calvert is a freshman outfielder for AU.  Info from Flo softball. 

• Like 2

It's a little concerning that maybe our top '21 commit, Aubrey Barnhart, who has been committee for a few years and claimed she was going to stick with her AU commitment, have visited recently with Texas A&M and now was visit UAT yesterday. Guess now, she may have changed her mind when she said she was going to stick a couple of months ago.

Anyone have any input or knowledge of what may have change with her? She is a top 5 ranked overall player in '21 I believe and is portrayed as one of the best hitters regardless of position.

43 minutes ago, wmsau said:

It's a little concerning that maybe our top '21 commit, Aubrey Barnhart, who has been committee for a few years and claimed she was going to stick with her AU commitment, have visited recently with Texas A&M and now was visit UAT yesterday. Guess now, she may have changed her mind when she said she was going to stick a couple of months ago.

Anyone have any input or knowledge of what may have change with her? She is a top 5 ranked overall player in '21 I believe and is portrayed as one of the best hitters regardless of position.

I think all commitments, in all sports, get shaky when there's a change in the coaching staff. My thought is that the the new staff is pretty much back on even ground with everybody else and will have to re-sell the school and program. Of course we want a player like that to stick but I wouldn't be shocked at anyone who changed their thinking after a coaching change.

• 3 weeks later...

I refuse to bash 16yo girls but we have a couple of commits I am scratching my head about but I guess thats the recruiting world. There are some very good athletes from good travel programs that never saw any interest from AU even though they were interested. 

On 9/29/2019 at 3:34 PM, wmsau said:

One thing to remember with this class is the recruiting rules changes. This is the first class that was really impacted by the elimination of early recruiting. There are girls all over the country that committed before the new rules and then spent two years not being able to really talk to their future coaches or going through coaching changes. Especially in her case they haven't had the chance to build a relationship with new coaches such as Dean and a lot can change. The first day they could really talk was on September 1st.

It also could have been the fact AU decided another player suited their needs better. When you are dealing with partial scholarships it could have boiled down to AU needing to offer less money in order to pick up a couple of other girls at positions of need. AB is an absolute stud and has been since she was 8yo so there is no telling what is going on.  

• Like 1

Well, today, AB committed public ally to uat, our instate rival that is joining all the top programs in dismantling our long time commits. I don’t care how much scholarships are worth, we can’t continue losing talents like we’ve been doing lately. This is not a good picture. 

• 3 months later...

Auburn has the top rated recruiting class in the 2021 class according to ExtraInnings Softball. This ranking is mainly due to the number of recruits (9 or 10). Oklahoma has the number 2 class but only 6 recruits.

#17 - Jessie Blaine - C - Firecrackers TJ (CA)

#23 - Kenadie Cooper - OF - East Cobb Bullets

#24 - Aubrey Lisenby - C - Bham Thunderbolts

#46 - Rose Roach - SS/OF - TN Mojo

#61 - Abbey Smith - OF - TN Mojo

#79 - Kendal Calvert - OF - Georgia Impact

#104 - Rylie Moody - MIF - TN Mojo

#143 - Bri Ellis - 1B/UT - Impact Gold (TX) 

#169 - Riley McNemar - C/MIF - Aces Fastpitch

Keri Munn (P) is listed as a recruit but not on the top 500 players despite being in the 80s during the last rankings. 

Lexie Delbrey (P), the #3 player in the class, visited during football season and remains uncommitted. She has visited a number of other schools too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Jad0003 said:

Auburn has the top rated recruiting class in the 2021 class according to ExtraInnings Softball. This ranking is mainly due to the number of recruits (9 or 10). Oklahoma has the number 2 class but only 6 recruits.

#17 - Jessie Blaine - C - Firecrackers TJ (CA)

#23 - Kenadie Cooper - OF - East Cobb Bullets

#24 - Aubrey Lisenby - C - Bham Thunderbolts

#46 - Rose Roach - SS/OF - TN Mojo

#61 - Abbey Smith - OF - TN Mojo

#79 - Kendal Calvert - OF - Georgia Impact

#104 - Rylie Moody - MIF - TN Mojo

#143 - Bri Ellis - 1B/UT - Impact Gold (TX) 

#169 - Riley McNemar - C/MIF - Aces Fastpitch

Keri Munn (P) is listed as a recruit but not on the top 500 players despite being in the 80s during the last rankings. 

Lexie Delbrey (P), the #3 player in the class, visited during football season and remains uncommitted. She has visited a number of other schools too.

If memory serves me correctly when determining team rankings they only factor in the top 100 or 150 in the calculations. If true then the last 1 or 2 aren't even being counted. Also @Jad0003 is the team rankings a free link we can all see?

@ellitor They utilize top 200 when determining class rankings nine of our commits count towards the total.

I do not think the class rankings are public, but if you have specific questions, happy to pass along information.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, Jad0003 said:

@ellitor They utilize top 200 when determining class rankings nine of our commits count towards the total.

I saw that in the free blurb they allow for the public after I asked. lol

On 2/18/2020 at 1:14 PM, Jad0003 said:

but if you have specific questions, happy to pass along information

Na. Just keep us updated how our girls are ranked after each update if you can.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:27 AM, auburnfan247 said:

Hope we can keep all of them, we’re losing a few games to start off this season

I would think most of the girls & families know the circumstances outlined in the softball season thread & that this would be a rocky season given the lesser talent we have right now.

I don’t think Keri Munn is still committed to us anymore, if you look at her Instagram there is no Auburn stuff up, and even though her Twitter page says AU softball commit her last activity on the account was in early 2018.

Edited by auburnfan247

On 2/24/2020 at 1:04 AM, auburnfan247 said:

I don’t think Keri Munn is still committed to us anymore, if you look at her Instagram there is no Auburn stuff up, and even though her Twitter page says AU softball commit her last activity on the account was in early 2018.

Don't sweat this one at all. Absolutely not going to hurt. 

Also one big piece of advice for everyone. Take the player rankings with a grain of salt. There is no way Extra Innings or FloSoftball can possibly rank the players.  They rely on the coach, parents, or whoever to basically tell them about the girls.  While the players at the top are outstanding athletes and will be great at the next level there are 30 more like them ranked 200 spots lower because they do not play for a certain team or coach.  

I am sure some of yall reading this have been through the travel ball world and know what I am talking about. This goes on in everything from these rankings to girls commitments. Some programs will show you all of these DI's signees and you are impressed but then you find out they are signing for $500 a year in aid and they are responsible for the rest. A year or two later they have transferred to a mid-major or DII so they can actually get playing time. Sadly too many girls are impacted by adults egos and make the decision that looks best on IG or Twitter instead of the best decision for themselves.  

• Like 4

23 hours ago, RHN1975 said:

Also one big piece of advice for everyone. Take the player rankings with a grain of salt. There is no way Extra Innings or FloSoftball can possibly rank the players.  They rely on the coach, parents, or whoever to basically tell them about the girls.  While the players at the top are outstanding athletes and will be great at the next level there are 30 more like them ranked 200 spots lower because they do not play for a certain team or coach. 

Be that as it may there is a big correlation between top rankEd classes and doing well in the NCAA tournament.