Things I Think I Saw: AU vs aTm

JMR

Great read as always. Also liked that you complimented our secondary on their tackling in space. They've really been standing out in that regard. 

@JMR when you have a secondary that tackles as well as our has been, does it allow Kevin Steele to be more aggressive in his calls?

• Like 1

• stoic-one pinned and featured this topic
39 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Great read as always. Also liked that you complimented our secondary on their tackling in space. They've really been standing out in that regard. 

@JMR when you have a secondary that tackles as well as our has been, does it allow Kevin Steele to be more aggressive in his calls?

I think so. Maybe not so much "aggressive", but it certainly allows you to do things you might be reluctant to do otherwise.

• Thanks 1

Great analysis as always, coach. I love it when you agree with me, lol- I had pointed out McClain’s excellent play yesterday (as well as our generally very good LB play) and absolutely love Tutt’s play so far this year (heck, I think our whole secondary has been lights out, just want them to finish some of those close plays on the ball). Great observation about Monday’s missed tackle. WDE!

I wonder what Garner told the d line heading into the game. There had to be something going on with all those offsides/encroachment penalties. We do need more from those bucks. TD almost got to Mond once but he slipped the tackle and got a first down. I didn’t hear Marlon or Coe’s name get called either

1 hour ago, JMR said:
  • This was a strange game in terms of the officiating in the secondary. Don't remember when I've seen as much pushing, shoving, and grabbing between defensive backs and receivers go uncalled, at least not involving teams not named Alabama. Noah Igbinoghene led the Auburn defense with 8 solo tackles, and it seemed like he was involved in every other play.

^Even I found this one notable^, and many thanks for the overall post

• Like 1

I really look forward to your observations. I thought a real critical point in the game was the 69 yard drive which not only put points on tbe board but took valuable time off the clock. It was a real take that move by Auburn. Way yo go Tigers. Keep up the good work.

:wareagle:

I agree with the odd officiating in the secondary. It was even more apparent after rewatching the game this morning. At least it seemed mostly even, but I'm sure the aggie fans, having lost, are griping about 1 or 2 of those calls that may have legitimately ended scoring drives for them. 

Still, they don't have much to complain about since they were holding our defensive line all game. We would have stopped them on a few of those later scoring drives if they had been correctly called for holds.  

It seems like the refs were mostly content to just let them play the game, which I'd prefer to flags coming out every 20 seconds over anything that even resembles a penalty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The team played probably its best game since Purdue. I was most satisfied with Gus' play calling most of the game. I would give him an A- grade. Coach Steele gets an A grade. If we play the rest of the big teams this well, could be a nice & very fun season.  I hope we go into Baton Rouge and drill LSU. That would be very satisfying indeed.  I think playing in front of TAMU, FLorida large loud crowds will have us ready for LSU.  I do not see Tiger Stadium being that much louder than TAMU & Florida. Those games should have us ready to play in front of large crowds.

TAMU fans are are fierce & loyal fans, but have class and treat the opposition with respect unlike we will see at LSU & to a lesser degree at FLorida. UGA looks very beatable as do the turds. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

I agree with the odd officiating in the secondary. It was even more apparent after rewatching the game this morning. At least it seemed mostly even, but I'm sure the aggie fans, having lost, are griping about 1 or 2 of those calls that may have legitimately ended scoring drives for them. 

Still, they don't have much to complain about since they were holding our defensive line all game. We would have stopped them on a few of those later scoring drives if they had been correctly called for holds.  

It seems like the refs were mostly content to just let them play the game, which I'd prefer to flags coming out every 20 seconds over anything that even resembles a penalty.

There were probably 2 blatantly missed DPI. One where they went over the top of Stove and one on Roger. The rest were how it should be called. There has been such a castration of the secondary that it's almost impossible to play tight man-to-man coverage. They could call it on almost every play the way it's being called today. It was nice to see the refs let both teams play. Just my very biased opinion.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Honestly, I think this might have been the best offensive play called game since 2017 UGA. We seemed to have plays designed to take advantage of specific aTm defensive expectations, and called them at the right time. The RB rotation was key as well.

While some of these plays were "Malzahn Classics", such as the "Triple Option" Inside Zone Read/RPO WR Hitch, they worked very well against aTm. Also, the intermediate passes over the middle are very "un-Malzahn" plays.

6 hours ago, JMR said:

HUGE win for Auburn Football yesterday.  Very tough place to play, and against a good, well-coached team with lots of good players.

Love your "Things I Thought I Saw" as always, coach!  And that sentence I quoted? That's a mouthful right there. Some folks don't seem to want to give these Tigers the credit they deserve. After opening with a win at JerryWorld against Oregon and then getting this W in College Station, I am cautiously optimistic for what lies ahead.

War Eagle!

Tutt has been outstanding all year. Would still like to see Joiner just a bit more on offense.  He is a physical specimen. I hope Gus has finally seen that passes to the TE and slants are weapons we need to use more, and more outside runs. Overall well done Gus.👌

40 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Tutt has been outstanding all year. Would still like to see Joiner just a bit more on offense.  He is a physical specimen. I hope Gus has finally seen that passes to the TE and slants are weapons we need to use more, and more outside runs. Overall well done Gus.👌

just my opinion but you do what you have to do to win a game and you don't show everything from the start of the season. I doubt we have seen the full offense yet.

Someone commented on big Kat and I wonder what was going on that caused all of the offsides. Those penalties kept some drives alive and made for some short first down opportunities for the Aggies. That stuff has to stop.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

just my opinion but you do what you have to do to win a game and you don't show everything from the start of the season. I doubt we have seen the full offense yet.

Someone commented on big Kat and I wonder what was going on that caused all of the offsides. Those penalties kept some drives alive and made for some short first down opportunities for the Aggies. That stuff has to stop.

I think their center was adjusting the ball(legal if doesn’t fake a snap) and trying to get us to jump, and of course we did.

Coach, one thing I’ll say you were wrong about, I’ll also admit it looked the same to me live, but the chip block bo got on the Flash  td was useless. Lol he was long gone. It takes a rewatch to realize that. I know you haven’t rewatched. 

I haven’t seen this mentioned, but I was happy to see James Owens-Moss start and play a lot. When I watched him, he seemed to give great effort and blocked pretty well. Always happy to see a walk on have success. 

11 hours ago, toddc said:

I think their center was adjusting the ball(legal if doesn’t fake a snap) and trying to get us to jump, and of course we did.

Isn't it legal for the center to adjust the ball when he first gets over it, but not after everybody is set and cadence has begun?  Something other than hard count was causing us to jump. 

Just now, around4ever said:

Isn't it legal for the center to adjust the ball when he first gets over it, but not after everybody is set and cadence has begun?  Something other than hard count was causing us to jump. 

It want out interior guys jumping, just Big Kat and I think TD once. Both of them have a history of doing that, and I don’t understand as juniors why they are still doing it regularly.