Rhett Lashlee

aubiefifty

Rhett Lashlee, SMU offensive coordinator
Lashlee is on an interesting career arc, going from offensive coordinator at Samford and then Arkansas State to Auburn’s OC for four years to UConn for a season before heading to Dallas last year. He’s helped get the Mustangs to 4–0 for the first time since 1984. Led by Texas quarterback transfer Shane Buechele, SMU is 17th nationally averaging 514 yards a game. They put up 41 points this past weekend in a game at TCU, their first win over the Horned Frogs since 2011.

man i loved reading this. i never thought he was our problem but then my knowledge is just short of basic stuff.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Lashlee is on an interesting career arc, going from offensive coordinator at Samford and then Arkansas State to Auburn’s OC for four years to UConn for a season before heading to Dallas last year. He’s helped get the Mustangs to 4–0 for the first time since 1984. Led by Texas quarterback transfer Shane Buechele, SMU is 17th nationally averaging 514 yards a game. They put up 41 points this past weekend in a game at TCU, their first win over the Horned Frogs since 2011.

man i loved reading this. i never thought he was our problem but then my knowledge is just short of basic stuff.

I'm happy to see him doing well.....and JMO but he was not ready for calling offenses against big time defenses at AU.  .  And no doubt that a few years of experience on his own has helped him a lot.   I thought he did pretty well at UCONN but his teams were over-matched and he made good move getting out of there. 

PS.....Patterson going through a rough patch at TCU...but got a contract extension ...Some very good years and some head scratchers....but TCU satisfied with overall picture. 

22 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I think we've had a lot of good ingredients over Gus' tenure that by theirselves are good and great.  It's just that mixed altogether they neutralized each other, were added at bad ratios, and became bland.

Gus had a bad year in 15 after a good year with some concerns about the red zone offense in 14. The PTB made Gus give up play calling( now known as bad advice). Rhett ran the offense with interference from Gus. It wasn’t all bad but at times stumbling and predictable. Then the PTB made Gus run Rhett off. Chip gets the job and does very  good overall,still with interference from Gus in 17. In 18 with a new offensive line, things don’t get going very well. Chip leaves, the PTB want to fire Gus except they would have to rob 4 banks to secure the payoff. Gus says either either rob the banks or get out of my way and let me run this team my way. 19 is in motion. Gus is running the offense well, very well in fact. Rhett is accomplishing good things elsewhere. Chip is a great coach and We suspect will continue to be. Gus has the offense going pretty good and fun to watch . The PTB are probably enjoying this hell out of the season and somehow think they are fully responsible for all success. 

“Disclaimer “.........I have no idea how much of this is true. Just gluing together the pieces we get from our very own insiders and wonderful media team. 

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

Gus had a bad year in 15 after a good year with some concerns about the red zone offense in 14. The PTB made Gus give up play calling( now known as bad advice). Rhett ran the offense with interference from Gus. It wasn’t all bad but at times stumbling and predictable. Then the PTB made Gus run Rhett off. Chip gets the job and does very  good overall,still with interference from Gus in 17. In 18 with a new offensive line, things don’t get going very well. Chip leaves, the PTB want to fire Gus except they would have to rob 4 banks to secure the payoff. Gus says either either rob the banks or get out of my way and let me run this team my way. 19 is in motion. Gus is running the offense well, very well in fact. Rhett is accomplishing good things elsewhere. Chip is a great coach and We suspect will continue to be. Gus has the offense going pretty good and fun to watch . The PTB are probably enjoying this hell out of the season and somehow think they are fully responsible for all success. 

“Disclaimer “.........I have no idea how much of this is true. Just gluing together the pieces we get from our very own insiders and wonderful media team. 

giphy (1).gif

On 9/24/2019 at 10:06 AM, aubiefifty said:

Yes and get this SMU is now ranked #21 in the ESPN power rankings ( my mistake ). I can’t remember how long that’s been since they were ranked but probably before the death penalty deal

37 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes and get this SMU is now ranked #21 in the coaches poll. I can’t remember how long that’s been since they were ranked but probably before the death penalty deal

I guess it is possible that Morris laid the groundwork for this team with his recruiting.   Dykes had a decent career previous to SMU and seems to be a good philosophical fit for RL. 

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess it is possible that Morris laid the groundwork for this team with his recruiting.   Dykes had a decent career previous to SMU and seems to be a good philosophical fit for RL. 

I had to make a correction that was this weeks ESPN’s power ranking not coaches poll. They also have us at #3

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Chip is a great coach and We suspect will continue to be.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

Just gluing together the pieces we get from our very own insiders and wonderful media team. 

Have you guys come up with a name yet to counter the Wolfpack?;)

On 9/29/2019 at 10:03 AM, alexava said:

Only part I disagree with. First, it was 2016 when Gus gave the playcalling over to Rhett. 2015 was Jeremy Johnson falling apart, Duke Williams getting kicked off the team, Jovon Robinson getting himself "injured", Roc Thomas having persistent "injury" issues, Xavier Dampeer getting his jaw broken by Duke Williams... I think maybe even worse stuff than any of that happened over the summer prior... Gus dealt with way too much bad luck for one season that year. 

Second, this is what happened in 2016:

-Lose 13-19 to Clemson, the Coxcat game
-Win 51-14 over Arkansas State
-Lose 16-29 to TAMU
***Gus gives up playcalling***
-Win 18-13 over LSU
-Win 58-7 over La Monroe
-Win 38-14 over MSU (KJ gets hurt)
-Win 56-3 over #17 Arkansas
-Win 40-29 over Ole Miss (Sean White gets hurt)
-Win 23-16 over Vandy (Sean White has to play the 2nd half hurt, KP gets hurt)
-Lose 7-13 to uga (Playing with a clearly injured QB and starting RB, RB2 dnp)
-Win 55-0 over Alabama A&M
-Lose 12-30 to bama (With John Franklin III and Jeremy Johnson splitting QB duties)

Bad advice? Not in my book. With Rhett calling the plays for a healthy Sean White and one of KJ or KP, that offense was nasty. And the improvement from week 3 to week 4- RZ issues aside- was dramatic and immediate. 

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Only part I disagree with. First, it was 2016 when Gus gave the playcalling over to Rhett. 2015 was Jeremy Johnson falling apart, Duke Williams getting kicked off the team, Jovon Robinson getting himself "injured", Roc Thomas having persistent "injury" issues, Xavier Dampeer getting his jaw broken by Duke Williams... I think maybe even worse stuff than any of that happened over the summer prior... Gus dealt with way too much bad luck for one season that year. 

Second, this is what happened in 2016:

-Lose 13-19 to Clemson, the Coxcat game
-Win 51-14 over Arkansas State
-Lose 16-29 to TAMU
***Gus gives up playcalling***
-Win 18-13 over LSU
-Win 58-7 over La Monroe
-Win 38-14 over MSU (KJ gets hurt)
-Win 56-3 over #17 Arkansas
-Win 40-29 over Ole Miss (Sean White gets hurt)
-Win 23-16 over Vandy (Sean White has to play the 2nd half hurt, KP gets hurt)
-Lose 7-13 to uga (Playing with a clearly injured QB and starting RB, RB2 dnp)
-Win 55-0 over Alabama A&M
-Lose 12-30 to bama (With John Franklin III and Jeremy Johnson splitting QB duties)

Bad advice? Not in my book. With Rhett calling the plays for a healthy Sean White and one of KJ or KP, that offense was nasty. And the improvement from week 3 to week 4- RZ issues aside- was dramatic and immediate. 

Dramatic and immediate was helped by other factors. It was not well thought out or long term success. If I had the time I could show you the dramatic and immediate improvement we saw... are seeing when Gus took back the offense. We are living it. A lot of people don’t deserve to enjoy the success. 

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

Dramatic and immediate was helped by other factors. It was not well thought out or long term success. If I had the time I could show you the dramatic and immediate improvement we saw... are seeing when Gus took back the offense. We are living it. A lot of people don’t deserve to enjoy the success. 

Don't deserve to enjoy Gus doing exactly what we've been asking for the last several years? Don't deserve to see it all working so well? Not sure why you'd say that but I for one am enjoying the hell out of it. I just hope he keeps doing it. 

(Not sure how Rhett's success with playcalling until he had no backfield to call plays for- a result of recruiting and roster mismanagement that Gus was 100% responsible for- wasn't well though out for long term success. I'm curious to know what that means.)

8 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Just curious why thread about a former coach is in the Media forum.  Shouldn't this be in the Rivals forum?

@aubiefifty smoked the wrong strain that day.

:rimshot:

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 10:12 AM, LKEEL75 said:

Just curious why thread about a former coach is in the Media forum.  Shouldn't this be in the Rivals forum?

I think his point was to illustrate the difference between Rhett's play calling, vs. our guru's play calling. Since Gus is being considered, then maybe this is the proper forum. I'm not a mod, so I don't really know.  

Archived