Mississippi State Postgame Thread

ToraGirl

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Props to the Oline as they mashed some Db's and Lb's tonight

I am currently in my first quarter eval....that first play...Tega pulled and took 2 guys out of the picture to clear the way for Boobs to take it to the house. Great execution. 

Just watched the game and holy damn was that fun!  Had a feeling we would win big but did not see 21-0 7 minutes into the game coming.  Very well called game on both sides of the ball.  O line looks remarkably better than they did in weeks 1 & 2.  Of course having Schwartz back opens so much in the running game with his sweep threat.  Thought Bo threw some dimes tonight and Canella had a few really nice catches.  We need that second big receiver because defenses will start keying on Seth soon.

Also, Seth is a monster.

So ready to get my ass to Gainesville next week!

You can tell Seth is not 100% which is amazing considering the game he had. His shoulder was really bothering him at times tonight. 

Swartz is soooo fast. 

Bo was amazing. 

We need to clean up the fumbles. 

Stove looked good. 

The refs did not have a good night at all (or the replay booth). 

Defense played very well. 

Great win!!! 

19 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

You can tell Seth is not 100% which is amazing considering the game he had. His shoulder was really bothering him at times tonight. 

Swartz is soooo fast. 

Bo was amazing. 

We need to clean up the fumbles. 

Stove looked good. 

The refs did not have a good night at all (or the replay booth). 

Defense played very well. 

Great win!!! 

The refs missing holding, horse collars, late hits,etc........but they were all over the sideline warnings.......game was poorly officiated.

The only negative from this game............. 

6 hours ago, amsterjam said:

Nope, so far you two are the only ones bringing negativity to the thread....

5-0 baby. Damn proud of this team. Say what you want about me. I am so happy for Gus, this program and our fans. Let’s get it. 

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Ok...what a game. I don't remember us scoring 21 points as quickly or easily as that ( maybe the Music City bowl?) First...my worries:

1 .Fumbles-We have to hold the ball. Seth's was not a fumble. The rest were awful. I knew Bo was about to be stripped. I think every RB put it on the turf but DJ.

2.- lack of interceptions. We can't drop interceptions that hit our DBs in the numbers or hands. We will need those. I am hoping they get all the drops out of their system  

3.- Our edge rush- BK Bryant is not able to bog down and make the play. It is inspiring to see him getting back there some, but man make the play!!! I have seen improvement as a whole from our Pass Rush from the entire unit though. 

4.-Depth. I think we have depth in some places, but we can't afford injuries. 

5.-Busted coverage. There are a couple times each game the WR get behind us, but the QB misses. I guess as long as they continue to miss it won't hurt us but Mr Tua and Mr. Burrow may make us pay. We need to tighten that up. 

These are really my only major concerns. There aren't many, but they are major. Now...here are the reasons why I think this season could be special. 

1. - Offensive line improving. I was really concerned but they are looking much better. Still some issues, but they have already shown more than I expected. I also think Gus has learned how to play-call to this OL's strengths by pulling and exposing the perimeter. 

2.- Gus play-calling. I know everybody says that really isn't anything new, but what I am seeing this year is different. So if he was really calling plays the past 3 years, I like the changes he has made. He is playing to our strengths. He is being aggressive. I have spotted guys going across the middle multiple times on passing routes past 2 games!!!!!

3.- Bo knows - Bo has finally hit that elusive bomb and WATCH OUT  WORLD because He is coming. Bo looked out of this world tonight. He made some DIME throws. I mean Dimes. I think he had 7 incomplete passes, and I know one was a free play shot, 2 were throw aways, 2 were drops that could've been caught. Bo also looks great with the ZR and also just elusiveness in the pocket. He reminds me of Chris Leak. Chris leak was a Pocket passer by nature, but he had an ability to just miss that rush, duck out but always eyes down field. Bo is special. I don't know that he will ever let up now. He will still make mistakes of course, but just watch out. 

4.- Seth WIlliams, Flash and Co.....S. Williams...need I say more. May be the best overall WR we have had in a decade. Just a freak. Flash...feed him...throw to him...6-10 touches and he will score every game I have no doubt. I am also ready to give most improved player to Sal Canella, Sal's blocking ability on the outside is good, and he is making some plays. I do not believe he has dropped a ball this season. He will make a game changing play in a big game. 

5.- Defensive front- we all know about the D-line...but man...I love our LBS....all 4 guys we use....Britt gives me nightmares...Owen will be a FAA, or at least FASEC. Wooten and McClain are playing good. 

6.- Secondary...I know I mention in my concerns about dropping interceptions and getting beat deep, but I am also impressed with the way they are playing and tackling in space. I like the way CKS is calling the DEF and I think they are good enough to keep us in any game. 

7.- DJ WIlliams...I know he isn't even in the 1st 4 guys coming out, but we got a glimpse tonight. I was impressed. This kid's touches will increase, and he will be a key component down the stretch. He is a bigger Dyer, and maybe faster. I like him alot. 

There are many more that I have not mention...but So far my MVP of the season thus far goes to Coach Malzahn. I am inspired with how this team is playing and they love him. I was skeptical of "his play-calling" even the first couple of games, but I think Gus is doing fabulous. I think he is regaining confidence. I like what I am seeing

I am not saying we win a natty, the SEC, or the West for that matter. Don't twist my words...but I believe we have a special team and I believe with everything that by season's end the majority of us will have seen a product on the field that has made us proud. IGTBAAT...War DAMN Eagle. 

Excellent Points!!!!  I agree with all of it!!!

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great game I really have nothing to complain about. O-Line showed the improvement we have all been waiting for. When we pull out O-line is very good and we are getting better at getting in D-Lines face and just saying I am badder then you are. Play calling has a lot to do with improved line play. D doesn't know what play is coming so they have to make decisions as opposed to going to where you are sure the play will be. Today we asaw the run setup the pass and later the pass setup the run. Flash getting to the edge opens everything. Perfect weekend best team performance of the year and Sharife Cooper verballed to Auburn today. War Eagle.

yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just woke up to the Cooper committ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Schwartz cannot be stopped.

My man crush Dynamite DJ Williams got some touches, and hopefully that will continue.

Big shout out to Prince Tega and that tremendous block he had out in space. The OL played very well as a group.

Still concerned with inside run game. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a mix up on the oline to get more push. We have always stubbornly been able to run the ball up the middle it doesn’t seem we are able to do that at will like past years. I’m not calling for it but one loss were the run game is shut down like against LSU, Florida and I think a change would be considered.

10 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Gotta work on the fumbles, but what a fanny whipping that was. Hope that bunch of winners enjoys the ride back to the middle of nowhere. Starkville better be ready to come back down to Earth for the foreseeable future. 

I think they already have. My MSU grad wife didn't even peek at the game and asked me afterward how it went. She just said "wow".

A guy I work with told me last week that Auburn was going to kill them. He has a great sense of humor (which is why we get along so well) and he text me after Bully was run over...he wanted a targeting call which made me laugh out loud. 

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Or people who want their favorite players to get more PT, touches , blah, blah. You can’t make everyone happy. I am just enjoying this damn game.

I have to imagine the players are too. 

The past two games are the first I've truly enjoyed in a very long time.  Bo is going to be a record shattering QB over the next 2.7 seasons.  Seth Williams had a record game, I feel a little bad for that Fr. CB they tried to cover him with most of the night.  Schwartz is turning into a football player, not just a really fast guy.  DJ Williams showing glimpses of the future, I hope he starts getting more work behind the 1st string OL.  Speaking of the OL, they have moved towards serviceable which is very nice to see.  Gus has stepped his game up considerably.  He's adapted the run game to his personnel which has impressed me.

The only  "gripe" that I have is JG not getting more work with the 1st string offense.  The end of the 1st quarter and beginning of the 4th would've been a nice time to see him with better blocking and more dangerous weapons surrounding him.

D.J. looked great on the TV screen.  He runs hard and uses very small, quick shifts to shed tacklers while running forward.  I’m not sure Gus will trust him in GVille, but he should quickly become the #2 guy.

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

D.J. looked great on the TV screen.  He runs hard and uses very small, quick shifts to shed tacklers while running forward.  I’m not sure Gus will trust him in GVille, but he should quickly become the #2 guy.

He should be RB2 but will probably be RB3 behind Martin.  If DJ is truly getting healthy he needs to be utilized with the 1st team offense to see what he can do.  

Everything positive minus two things.  Thought the play calling might have been the best I’ve ever seen from  CGM.   DLine plays really hard.   LB’s are getting more experience and better every game.     

Got to get a handle on the fumbling.   If it continues, it will cost us a game.   Someone else mentioned it, but wished JG would have gotten some time with first team OL.    

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Of course having Schwartz back opens so much in the running game with his sweep threat.  

Same for the passing game. Having him opposite of Williams is a huge advantage. Gives Williams a lot more one-on-one opportunities.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Same for the passing game. Having him opposite of Williams is a huge advantage. Gives Williams a lot more one-on-one opportunities.

He's liable to sweep for 25+ yards or go/post route faster than your CB/S can keep up with on any given play.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And drastically opens everything up underneath

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Everything positive minus two things.  Thought the play calling might have been the best I’ve ever seen from  CGM.   DLine plays really hard.   LB’s are getting more experience and better every game.     

Got to get a handle on the fumbling.   If it continues, it will cost us a game.   Someone else mentioned it, but wished JG would have gotten some time with first team OL.    

Would be nice but unlikely except on those special goal line plays.  Lots of young guys got to play yesterday which was a great. experience for them.   Happy to see DJ get some time.....and hope to see more of him but with about 35-40 running plays per game,  there are not many carries that have not already been "designated" for Boobie, Eli and Schwartz.....and Nix of course.     

Everyone wants to see their favorite guy get a bunch of touches but just not enough plays in a game for that.   JMO but distribution of the ball was pretty generous yesterday due to the run away nature of the game.    Thinking that next week we will probably see less of that. 

10 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

X1000 and the #%*&& officials let so much of it go.

I agree that the refs let a lot of stuff go but also there were a ton of flags thrown in the game, it seemed like every play a flag was thrown. Miss State did play like a bunch of thugs. I think the fact that we really jumped on them from the start had a lot to do with their behavior. JMO

WDE!!!

Just now, Slammer1 said:

I agree that the refs let a lot of stuff go but also there were a ton of flags thrown in the game, it seemed like every play a flag was thrown. Miss State did play like a bunch of thugs. I think the fact that we really jumped on them from the start had a lot to do with their behavior. JMO

WDE!!!

Timing of the flags could be questioned too....but holding was egregious by state and only called a couple times when it had no real negative effect on their offense. 

SEC officiating …..typical game for them though the replay booth did seem to have some problems. 

Archived