Mississippi State Postgame Thread

ToraGirl

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was good to see the offense remain aggressive after jumping out to the early large lead. It was bad seeing several key starters, Nix and Brown for instance, still playing after the game was out of reach.

13 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

It was good to see the offense remain aggressive after jumping out to the early large lead. It was bad seeing several key starters, Nix and Brown for instance, still playing after the game was out of reach.

IMO...

Nix is a true freshman. That was his 5th game. He still needs reps. This entire offense still needs fine tuning. 

Brown is much less of a slam dunk, but there's some man management arguments that support rewarding your studs with some "easy", "fun" reps. Especially when they're about to get drafted and stats can be redeemed for cash. If Derrick Brown wants to play, you let Derrick Brown play. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nix is a true freshman. That was his 5th game. He still needs reps. This entire offense still needs fine tuning. 

Brown is much less of a slam dunk, but there's some man management arguments that support rewarding your studs with some "easy", "fun" reps. Especially when they're about to get drafted and stats can be redeemed for cash. If Derrick Brown wants to play, you let Derrick Brown play. 

Not that I disagree with you, but Brown getting hurt is my greatest fear for this team. 

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Not that I disagree with you, but Brown getting hurt is my greatest fear for this team. 

It would be catastrophic- for him, as much as anything- and Gus/Steele would never be forgiven. But I'd still feel the same way.

I still support Shula having Prothro in on that play where he got hurt. You can only let the fear of injury dictate so many coaching decisions IMO. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It would be catastrophic- for him, as much as anything- and Gus/Steele would never be forgiven. But I'd still feel the same way.

I still support Shula having Prothro in on that play where he got hurt. You can only let the fear of injury dictate so many coaching decisions IMO. 

It could be catastrophic for him, depending on the injury. I honestly don't know - let's say if it were a high ankle sprain that kept him out 4 weeks - that it would have much affect, if any, on his draft stock. He has looked like a top 5 pick so far this season, and missing a few games wouldn't change that IMO. Granted, a more serious injury is a different story. I'm just saying I could easily foresee a scenario where it hurts our win/loss column more than it does Brown. That said, I'm not faulting Gus for playing him, it just makes me nervous - for Brown and the team. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It could be catastrophic for him, depending on the injury. I honestly don't know - let's say if it were a high ankle sprain that kept him out 4 weeks - that it would have much affect, if any, on his draft stock. He has looked like a top 5 pick so far this season, and missing a few games wouldn't change that IMO. Granted, a more serious injury is a different story. I'm just saying I could easily foresee a scenario where it hurts our win/loss column more than it does Brown. That said, I'm not faulting Gus for playing him, it just makes me nervous - for Brown and the team. 

True and fair. 

18 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

IMO...

Yeah, I get the Nix needing reps thing. But I believe the available playing time would have been better spent on Gatewood than on Nix. I mean Nix has played 4 full games. Is playing another 15 minutes in a blow out really going to help him more than they would help Gatewood? 

Just now, SumterAubie said:

Yeah, I get the Nix needing reps thing. But I believe the available playing time would have been better spent on Gatewood than on Nix. I mean Nix has played 4 full games. Is playing another 15 minutes in a blow out really going to help him more than they would help Gatewood? 

I respect your point. And they wouldn't help him more than Gatewood, no.

But...

...Bo is QB1 and Joey is QB2...

...and I think it will help Bo more in every game going forward than not giving him those reps. And that is priority #1. It was a blowout at home, yes, but those were still live game reps against a division opponent. And 4 full games hasn't taught him much. I mean, that was the first game that looked like we were running our offense anywhere near full capacity. Also, consider that awful fumble he had. Is it better to make that mistake in a blowout at home or on the road in one of the most intimidating stadiums in the country? Bo is still more high school QB than college QB and it will still be that way at least until November IMO. Last year, Dabo had Lawrence throwing 35+ times a game late October in games where they were blowing teams out by 30+ points. That's probably one reason why he- along with *Justyn Ross- was ready for the playoffs. 

*That's the other thing. Two of our top 4 receivers are true sophomores. Three of our top 4 RBs are sophomores or younger. Our OL is learning new blocking schemes. Wilson and Joiner are new. And none of them have played with this QB or under this OC (even if name only) before. This whole show is still very much a work in progress and these guys need the work together. IMO.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I respect your point. And they wouldn't help him more than Gatewood, no.

But...

...Bo is QB1 and Joey is QB2...

...and I think it will help Bo more in every game going forward than not giving him those reps. And that is priority #1. It was a blowout at home, yes, but those were still live game reps against a division opponent. And 4 full games hasn't taught him much. I mean, that was the first game that looked like we were running our offense anywhere near full capacity. Also, consider that awful fumble he had. Is it better to make that mistake in a blowout at home or on the road in one of the most intimidating stadiums in the country? Bo is still more high school QB than college QB and it will still be that way at least until November IMO. Last year, Dabo had Lawrence throwing 35+ times a game late October in games where they were blowing teams out by 30+ points. That's probably one reason why he- along with *Justyn Ross- was ready for the playoffs. 

*That's the other thing. Two of our top 4 receivers are true sophomores. Three of our top 4 RBs are sophomores or younger. Our OL is learning new blocking schemes. Wilson and Joiner are new. And none of them have played with this QB or under this OC (even if name only) before. This whole show is still very much a work in progress and these guys need the work together. IMO.

I agree on leaving the offense first team out there, but not as sure about Brown, or even Marlon. We need to build depth for this year, and next year even more.

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

It could be catastrophic for him, depending on the injury. I honestly don't know - let's say if it were a high ankle sprain that kept him out 4 weeks - that it would have much affect, if any, on his draft stock. He has looked like a top 5 pick so far this season, and missing a few games wouldn't change that IMO. Granted, a more serious injury is a different story. I'm just saying I could easily foresee a scenario where it hurts our win/loss column more than it does Brown. That said, I'm not faulting Gus for playing him, it just makes me nervous - for Brown and the team

Not to mention giving valuable playing time to a back up. Whom we might need later this year, and definitely next year.

16 minutes ago, toddc said:

I agree on leaving the offense first team out there, but not as sure about Brown, or even Marlon. We need to build depth for this year, and next year even more.

I'm much less married to the idea of leaving Brown or Davidson out there. I get it and support it, but I think the concerns about it are very valid. 

I forgot to mention earlier that this was a very personal revenge game for them and, if I'm not mistaken, was explicitly mentioned as one of the reasons they came back this year. Again, if they felt strongly about being out there, then you reward guys like that who came back and who are the heart and soul of the defense and entire team. 

But do they *need* the reps like the youngsters on offense do? Not at all. 

Archived