Favorite play from last night

bigbird

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bigbird said:

What play did you enjoy or impress you the most?

Mine was the fake toss option where Bo, instead of turning it up like he did previously in the game, pulled up and hit Hastings on a slant for a big gain.

It was beautifully set up earlier and executed perfectly. It stressed the D and put three positions in a no win situation. A real triple option look.

That was a beauty...I actually called the long pass to Schwartz on the outside so I liked that but any pass we threw between the hashes was a treat for sore eyes... If we stress defenses across the entire field it will really help us click.

I liked a play that didn’t actually work. I think the play was a simple run but Nix pulled it and kept and he took off but the defense read it well and stopped him but at the last second he tossed it to Hastings. It was incomplete but I liked his improvisation there. 

It was basically the same thing Nick Marshall did in the ‘13 iron bowl for that TD to Coates.

I also liked the completion to our TE Jay Jay Wilson. Felt good seeing our TE being on the LOS and going out for a route and getting the ball

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

hey bird i have a question for you or mr cole. i read that auburn passing more to the middle of the field has taken some heat off our o line? you guys think this is true? and why would that be? i just want to understand the game better and i will be honest........i have no clue. thanx

Slants definitely helps as they are 3 step get the ball out quick routes that the o line just have to get a quick and solid punch and that should be it. 

Just having routes on all phases of the field help them as Bo has outlets to get the ball out besides waiting for a man to get downfield and get open. 

Throwing on first down  less predictable has really been helping too IMO. 

Throwing in the middle of the field is more complicated or risky for the QB but if he can do it he has more area to get the ball out quicker. At least that's what I think.

I like that one play where we got a touchdown.  Which one?  Any of them.

In all seriousness it is nice to see more slants.  The opposing coaches seeing this are like:

AB191DBD-BFB6-4364-9E67-A53CD52B7021.gif

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I like that one play where we got a touchdown.  Which one?  Any of them.

In all seriousness it is nice to see more slants.  The opposing coaches seeing this are like:

AB191DBD-BFB6-4364-9E67-A53CD52B7021.gif

So are all the fans...

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So are all the fans...

I’m actually rewatching the game as we speak.  Since I was at the game I was wanting to watch it again through the camera lense to see what I may have missed

i liked the sack by Dinson on 3rd play of the game, set us up for great field position to start the game , and only took us 1 play to get it in.. Cant start any better than that.

I have a few...

1) Passing across the middle to Seth. There is a reason he was 5-10 yds open.  

2) The deep ball to Schwartz down the sidelines. His threat opens up the rest of the offense.

3) The WR screen to Seth where Prince Tega destroys the DB. It was the series after we recovered the fumble in the RZ right before half.  The hit sounded like a bomb off of the Big Hurt's bat. 

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I’m actually rewatching the game as we speak.  Since I was at the game I was wanting to watch it again through the camera lense to see what I may have missed

I'm watching as we speak.  Feeling all warm & fuzzy 🥰

Also, since I listen to Andy & Stan live, I'm enjoying Sean & Todd's take.  They are 2 of the best in the TV business IMO.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Mine was the fake toss option where Bo, instead of turning it up like he did previously in the game, pulled up and hit Hastings on a slant for a big gain.

It was beautifully set up earlier and executed perfectly. It stressed the D and put three positions in a no win situation. A real triple option look.

That was a beauty of a call and better execution. Bo threw some dime balls last night. I am really liking the intermediate routes we are utilizing the past couple games. That first shot we took to S. Williams where he hit him around 20 yards down field on maybe a stop route (couldn't see the route ) was a dime. The next shot to Williams where he ran a deep cross or deep smash concept (could'nt see the route again lol) but that was another perfectly thrown ball that Williams took for a TD. That was impressive.

My favorite was the first long ball to Flash. I told my wife the play before we were about to take a shot to Schwartz and boom. Long awaited perfectly thrown bomb.

5 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I liked the tunnel screen or whatever you want to call it where Prince Tega got out and annihilated a DB.  First time I've seen that type of nasty from one of our O-linemen.  Hope it carries over going forward. Grimes should rewind it a lot.

Did you see what Tega did on the very first play from scrimmage? He took the two outside guys on the pull and set Boobee free. Tega and Harrell are playing great and the rest of the guys are getting better.

5 hours ago, fredst said:

Multiple true RPO plays, can’t pick just one. Having a QB with some real mobility (doesn’t have to be Cam or Nick) really seems to make a big difference in Gus’s ability to call a game

Yes, and unlike Stidham, Bo will not force it ( ala UT game 18) and cause a TO and Bo will pull it down, redirect and if not there get rid of it or throw at the feet. 

1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

1st play on offense  seeing the linemen get out there and get nasty allowing Whitlow to go untouched. That play set the tone for the evening IMO. 

Tega took on both guys....NASTY! He said " you don't weigh enough lil boy!"

4 hours ago, bssford460 said:

I liked seeing Sal Cannella go up and make that grab on the sideline.  I feel for his size and the attitude he tries to portray that he under performs.  If he steps up to the plate in the near future like that mixed in with Williams and Hastings and anybody out of the back field.  This passing game could be deadly

Man, I have already said it and put it out there on the interwebs for the world to take notice. Sal Canella is the most improved player on this team as far as skill guys go. He is blocking great. He hasn't dropped a pass yet that I know of. He could be a beast of a match-up problem if we continue to utilize him. ( with the way he is hustling and blocking I believe he will get his opportunities.)

Offense-Bo’s pass to Williams on the corner for a TD. Perfect throw.

Defense- Marlon Davidson runs down QB from behind and lays the wood to him.

7 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Pretty much any of the plays involving Anthony Schwartz. When he gets the ball I get a sudden rush of adrenaline knowing he has a great shot of taking it to the house on any given play.

Amazing his speed, on those sweeps when it looks as if a couple of defenders has him contained he cuts on that sraight away speed and you realize the defenders weren't close at all..........dude is smooth and his stride is amazing.

Running wild cat plays to the left, along with the plays that I didn't see coming before snapping. Actually a good bit. 

16 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

Not a single play but.... My favorite play along with improved O line play and way better  HB /TE blocking....

was ALL the WR play as a whole...

probably has a LOT to do with better play calling AND QB play but...

better blocking, route running and catching almost everything thrown at them especially contested balls.

MAJOR Kudos to Kodi Burns who has caught a lot of flack when they played poorly... they are much improved and talented across the board and playing well for our freshman QB.

To your point, loved the long catch by Sal. Just everything we've seen other teams do to us but we haven't seemed to be able to accomplish ourselves. Throw it up where only your big bodied WR can get it said big bodied receiver uses said big body to shield/fight off the defender, high points the ball, comes down with the catch. 

Also, not a single play, but I am still over the moon about that Seth Williams stat line, and how he got there. We haven't featured a true WR1 like that since 2014, and I'd be surprised if Duke or Sammie ever got used quite like that. That was a big boy WR being featured in a big boy passing attack. We finally looked like the teams I've been jealous of for years now. Unreal, these last couple weeks. 

Kenny Dillingham is a heck of an offensive coordinator.  It's no coincidence that since his hire right before the Music City Bowl this O has taken off.

19 hours ago, AUFriction said:

The crossing route that Williams took into the endzone. 

This is what I came here to say. It was that or the second TD pass to Williams. Perfectly placed ball that Williams went up and made a play on. To me both of those throws showed just how much Bo has improved with his accuracy. They were also confident throws. 

One thing I love about the crossing routes and some of the sideline routes as well is that it seems like we're making more throws that allow for big YAC. Not just curls that result in immediate tackles. 

23 hours ago, bigbird said:

This was my favorite too, but for a more strategic reason. That call wasn't for Miss St. That play call was for UF. It's one more thing on tape now, and now the defensive staff will show it to the LBs and the Safeties, and next week every single time AU runs the toss option the UF defense will be a step slower to defend either one.

The enemy of the D is uncertainty. 

Archived