5* SG Jalen Green Picks The G League

tigerbrotha12

AU, Memphis, Overseas battle
Plans to commit in April

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/auburn-felt-like-home-to-no-1-shooting-guard-jalen-green

No. 3 overall player in the country just said Auburn “feels like home.” Man I’m giddy 

Auburn 'felt like home' to No. 1 shooting guard Jalen Green

AUBURN | The No. 1 shooting guard in the 2020 class was in Auburn this weekend on an official visit.

“It was really good,” Green said. “It was even better than I expected. It was a great visit. I really like it here. It felt like home. ”

ctzaiocphlcrfrkjhb8t

Green arrived in Auburn on Friday and spent time with coach Bruce Pearl, assistant and lead recruiter Ira Bowman, the players and even athletics director Allen Greene.

“Coach Pearl is a great coach. I really like him and Coach Ira Bowman, too,” Green said. “We met with the athletics director. He is real cool, a great dude. We also watched the team practice and then went to the football game. That was fun. The atmosphere was crazy.”

Auburn had an extra recruiter for Green throughout the weekend. Five-star point guard

“He was on me,” Green said. “Sharife was on me hard.”

Green, who attends Prolific Prep in Fresno, is considering joining Cooper at Auburn for several reasons, including the family feel.

“They preach about family here,” Green said. “It’s all about the Auburn family, and I think that’s cool. I really like that. I like it here. It’s a great place.”

Green also has visited Memphis, Oregon and USC. He plans to take other visits before announcing his commitment on Christmas Day.

“I might do an official to USC, maybe one to UCLA, but I don’t know,” he said. “I’m still trying to decide. And I’ll probably go to Memphis one more time.”

Green said he doesn’t have any leaders at this point.

“I don’t have a top group,” he said. “Everyone keeps trying to make a top list for me out of the officials I’m going to, but I don’t have one. I’m going to take visits and go wherever I feel like home is.”

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The combination of this quote:

“It was really good,” Green said. “It was even better than I expected. It was a great visit. I really like it here. It felt like home. ”

And this quote:

“I don’t have a top group,” he said. “Everyone keeps trying to make a top list for me out of the officials I’m going to, but I don’t have one. I’m going to take visits and go wherever I feel like home is.”

Makes it seem like we are in a good position with this excellent player. It would be quite amazing to pull a kid like this out of cali

The condition of the b-ball program continues to amaze me.  What Bruce has done here, especially given where we were at after Barbee, is simply phenomenal. 

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

The condition of the b-ball program continues to amaze me.  What Bruce has done here, especially given where we were at after Barbee, is simply phenomenal. 

Plan of success under Bruce: Build foundation, become relevant, sell a program rebuild to recruits, build momentum, build program culture, have success, recruit at highest level, become dominant.

Plan of succes under Barbee: Complain about Under Armour

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Plan of succes under Barbee: Complain about Under Armour & almost literally everythimg else.

FIFY

5 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Plan of success under Bruce: Build foundation, become relevant, sell a program rebuild to recruits, build momentum, build program culture, have success, recruit at highest level, become dominant.

I hate to even say this ... but to fair to barbee and lebo, they were trying to do things in a traditional sense.  It HAD to be someone like CBP to make this program happen.  Of course since there is no one else like CBP, it therefore HAD to be CBP.  I'm thrilled he's at Auburn.

Barbee seemed to have the personality of a dead fish, no offense. I don't see how he connects with players like a lot of coaches do. But every time I hear Bruce, I wanna run through a brick wall. He was on the Jumbotron about the Tipoff at Toomer's and I was ready to run over there and start building basketball goals with my bear hands to contribute to the program. The guy is just blessed with unnatural charisma.

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

But every time I hear Bruce, I wanna run through a brick wall. He was on the Jumbotron about the Tipoff at Toomer's and I was ready to run over there and start building basketball goals with my bear hands to contribute to the program. The guy is just blessed with unnatural charisma.

If a guitar can be played with bear hands I'm sure a basketball goal could be assembled. :) 

Screenshot_20190930-161606~2.png

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

The guy is just blessed with unnatural charisma.

My favorite AU coach of all time. I loved Tommy Tuberville, and when he was fired, I gave away around $2000 worth of paraphernalia because I was so angry, among other things. I stopped going to games the next year because i had soured on the way that he had been treated, except for a couple the year Cam was here....Bruce Pearl has made me happy and he should have his name on the arena when he retires, without question. What he has done is nothing short of a damn miracle

19 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think geography is the main factor working against me, if we can make being here close as appealing as the west coast (or just negate that adv), it should be easy money imo 

That and whatever's in the bag Penny has been handing out...

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think geography is the main factor working against me, if we can make being here close as appealing as the west coast (or just negate that adv), it should be easy money imo 

His final 3 only includes 1 west coast team, Oregon. The other 2 are AU & Memphis. All 3 apparently have a very real shot.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

That and whatever's in the bag Penny has been handing out...

I cant really think of any coach that would be cooler to play for than Penny, and that's been his angle for a while now 

28 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I cant really think of any coach that would be cooler to play for than Penny, and that's been his angle for a while now 

You're right, but how would you not want to play for Bruce Pearl?

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

if Allen Iverson or Kobe became a coach, no matter what school they went to, they'd be getting 5 stars every season

Initially but great players don't always make great coaches. Noy saying they wouldn't be great coaches but after the initial high if the team doesn't do well the players quit coming.

54 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Initially but great players don't always make great coaches. Noy saying they wouldn't be great coaches but after the initial high if the team doesn't do well the players quit coming.

The original Isaiah Thomas agrees.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

if Allen Iverson or Kobe became a coach, no matter what school they went to, they'd be getting 5 stars every season

If AI were to become a head coach somewhere, I wonder how he would run practice. Practice, man.

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Yeah but we're talking initially. And with Memphis's SOS, talent is gonna get them where they need to get to anyway. As long as Penny can be a neutral, at least, they should be a round of 32 lock this season. They'll get back to Calipari levels in due time

You're right, but how would you not want to play for Bruce Pearl?

Listen, BP is a fantastic coach. Probably one of the most likeable guys that you think of as a coach. Penny was THE "What-If" story in basketball until Derrick Rose came along. Alot of these guys fathers, especially ones that are guards, heard about Penny every season, probably multiple times a season. Shown his tape, suggested to take tips away from his game. Isaiah Thomas was mentioned, guy was one of the quintessential names of the 80s. But he wasnt birthed in the "swag" era of the late 90s, early 2000s. Alot of figures from that time, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Shaq, etc. they could all do the same thing just off name. 

Until he proves he isnt a good coach, hes going to continue to be in play for all of these guys 

Jalen is taking an official to Memphis this weekend. We have to survive the weekend and hope that it isn’t another Kessler & UNC situation where he’s blown away.

Not sure how their Pyramid stadium is, but the city of Memphis is a s-hole. As long as Green does not fall in love with the Mississippi River and Memphis BBQ, we have a much better campus. Memphis is still mainly known as a commuter school. 

If he wants a real college atmosphere we win. 

Now, Oregon has a very cool stadium and gym floor. 

If he picks the school with the best coach, we win again.

Also, he could play on a daily basis with Mr Cooper and most likely Mr. Okoro will still be here. That is an impressive group, with more to come.

8 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Jalen is taking an official to Memphis this weekend. We have to survive the weekend and hope that it isn’t another Kessler & UNC situation where he’s blown away.

A bit different situation in that Memphis was near the top & maybe in the lead even before his AU visit. I'm not sure we have even wrestled the lead away from them or Oregon after the AU visit.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:47 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Giving Barbee credit for having a plan might be too much credit!!!  LOL

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Not sure how their Pyramid stadium is, but the city of Memphis is a s-hole. As long as Green does not fall in love with the Mississippi River and Memphis BBQ, we have a much better campus. Memphis is still mainly known as a commuter school. 

If he wants a real college atmosphere we win. 

Now, Oregon has a very cool stadium and gym floor. 

If he picks the school with the best coach, we win again.

Also, he could play on a daily basis with Mr Cooper and most likely Mr. Okoro will still be here. That is an impressive group, with more to come.

The pyramid has not been used in over a decade as a basketball arena lol. It was converted to a bass pro shops recently a few years ago. Memphis plays at fed ex forum which is the home arena for the grizzlies. It is a beautiful arena.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

A bit different situation in that Memphis was near the top & maybe in the lead even before his AU visit. I'm not sure we have even wrestled the lead away from them or Oregon after the AU visit.

You are much more of an insider than me, but based on Green’s comments after he visited, I would bet we have a slight lead right now, but the visit to Memphis will put them back into the lead. From there it’s just a game of throw what you got at him and hope. 

Idk I’m spitting out something and hoping it takes flight tbh

Archived