5* SG Jalen Green Picks The G League

tigerbrotha12

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

bahahaha good to see Gene is still alive and well. 

Hard not to notice him. He asks Corey Evans the dumb AU Bball recruiting question on twitter on nearly a weekly basis.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

The point is, the American players who HAVE gone the route of playing overseas have not had much success in the NBA thus far. All the rookies that are from the states that are having success in the NBA are guys who went to college. 

The sample size is so small that you can't even correlate that. LeBron could've easily went that route and be the exact same player...there's nothing to show that college prepares you better for pro than playing overseas. It will always be the talent of the individual

Just imagine the basketball ability Luka left on the table by not going to college and facing Virginia's pack line defense. It's a damn shame. A true "what could have been" story!!!

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Just imagine the basketball ability Luka left on the table by not going to college and facing Virginia's pack line defense. It's a damn shame. A true "what could have been" story!!!

Luka is way different now because he is an oversees player. Thats the world he grew up in. I don't think anyone is saying you can't get to the NBA going through overseas and IMO college doesn't necessarily prepare you better skill wise versus playing over seas. To me it just seems like an easier route for kids to go through college instead of going overseas. Less culture shock, better visibility for general public and scouts (brand building), and you don't have to play against 30 yo professionals when you are 18. 

I know one of the recent success stories of going the overseas route (maybe Jennings) actually grew up in Europe before coming to states for HS. So culture shock was not a problem. Then you have guys like the little Ball and he is so talented that even with his dad turning his high school career into a traveling circus he can still get in the league.

29 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Luka is way different now because he is an oversees player. Thats the world he grew up in. I don't think anyone is saying you can't get to the NBA going through overseas and IMO college doesn't necessarily prepare you better skill wise versus playing over seas. To me it just seems like an easier route for kids to go through college instead of going overseas. Less culture shock, better visibility for general public and scouts (brand building), and you don't have to play against 30 yo professionals when you are 18. 

I know one of the recent success stories of going the overseas route (maybe Jennings) actually grew up in Europe before coming to states for HS. So culture shock was not a problem. Then you have guys like the little Ball and he is so talented that even with his dad turning his high school career into a traveling circus he can still get in the league.

Yup, yup and I was just making a joke really.

Nah I know nobody was saying you can't get to the NBA by going overseas first. I don't think there is one answer that fits everyone. I was just kinda piggy backing on the replies to the list of All Stars where most of them went to college. It seems easier on the surface to just goto college but there is a whole non-basketball grind that is also tied into that. If a kid doesn't want to deal with that and wants to put more time in the gym than have other school related responsibilities I totally get it. It's a case by case basis IMO

And I do think brand wise it is definitely helpful to have ESPN showing your games. But hey, I dunno if Lamelo Ball was getting a ton of marketing traction in New Zealand. If he has made himself into a name out there then that is a very good thing IMO. Same with RJ Hampton -- I mean he has a shoe deal already if I'm not mistaken by a Chinese company. That money alone would be worth the move IMO. He's going to get an NBA contract regardless so he's already a step ahead of most of his draft class. But like I said, every person is different, and not everyone can go down that path just like RJ didn't feel like going down Anthony Edwards' or James Wiseman's path

27 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

if we get him, is he going to bring anyone else with him?

Not sure he will bring anyone, but his commitment would garner a ton of attention and probably have some of the bigs we’re looking at more eager to get on board.  

1 hour ago, lutzcammed said:

if we get him, is he going to bring anyone else with him?

He is not a package deal with anyone but indirectly him and coop being in the same class together will make AU a lot more of a attractive landing spot to some of the other top uncommitted guys. It will give us a better shot with Greg Brown, Cliff O and others.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:49 PM, Maverick.AU said:

And every one not AU is saying “college is a waste of time for him, go overseas”. Let us have this one damnit! Lol

Anyone who says that has no idea what they're talking about.  His exposure playing overseas would be minimal where if he plays in college he'll have ESPN marketing him all season.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is not a package deal with anyone but indirectly him and coop being in the same class together will make AU a lot more of a attractive landing spot to some of the other top uncommitted guys. It will give us a better shot with Greg Brown, Cliff O and others.

I think if we land Jalen we land Cliff.  It's nothing more than a hunch but he plays a position a serious need for us and he'd have two Top 10 recruits in the class with him to ball out.

20 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

So, out of sheer stupidity I need to ask, when is basketball signing day?

Starts April 15 and ends May 20. Jalen Green has said he’d make an announcement shortly after his HS season ends. 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

Starts April 15 and ends May 20. Jalen Green has said he’d make an announcement shortly after his HS season ends. 

HS season ends when?  Sorry, overseas and not keeping up with HS basketball.

7 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

HS season ends when?  Sorry, overseas and not keeping up with HS basketball.

Looks like it ends March 12ish. He plays for a prep school, so he isn’t playing a traditional HS state tournament. They have the Grind Sessions World Championships as the last scheduled event of his HS season, and that event is March 9-12. 

2 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Looks like it ends March 12ish. He plays for a prep school, so he isn’t playing a traditional HS state tournament. They have the Grind Sessions World Championships as the last scheduled event of his HS season, and that event is March 9-12. 

Isn't the McDonald's game sometime around the first of April?  You don't think he will wait until after or during that game do you? 

Archived