5* SG Jalen Green Picks The G League

tigerbrotha12

12 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

You are much more of an insider than me, but based on Green’s comments after he visited, I would bet we have a slight lead right now, but the visit to Memphis will put them back into the lead. From there it’s just a game of throw what you got at him and hope. 

Idk I’m spitting out something and hoping it takes flight tbh

I haven't seen any chatter from AU sources that thinks we have taken the lead since his visit FWIW.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Not sure how their Pyramid stadium is, but the city of Memphis is a s-hole. As long as Green does not fall in love with the Mississippi River and Memphis BBQ, we have a much better campus. Memphis is still mainly known as a commuter school. 

If he wants a real college atmosphere we win. 

Now, Oregon has a very cool stadium and gym floor. 

If he picks the school with the best coach, we win again.

Also, he could play on a daily basis with Mr Cooper and most likely Mr. Okoro will still be here. That is an impressive group, with more to come.

I went to the SEC Championship in the Pyramid and it’s pretty awesome, but that was years ago.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:26 PM, GwillMac6 said:

The pyramid has not been used in over a decade as a basketball arena lol. It was converted to a bass pro shops recently a few years ago. Memphis plays at fed ex forum which is the home arena for the grizzlies. It is a beautiful arena.

How bout that. So funny. Dated myself.  Still, all Universities should have their own arena although a HS kid may love the idea of playing in a NBA area. 

• 4 weeks later...

Now green? That's a big time player. I don't know if he has the right mental profile but he has every physical tool and capability to be an alpha of alphas

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting sick and tired of Penny and Memphis. It pains me to feel this way because he was a childhood favorite of mine

On 9/30/2019 at 2:22 PM, ellitor said:

FIFY

Barbee came here to use Auburn as a stepping stone. Bruce came here to do what he has always done, build a legit basketball program . I feel that Bruce really loves AU. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him spend the rest of his career here.

6 minutes ago, AUwarrior said:

If we got Cooper AND Green it would be hard to avoid the Final Four.

Eh, Duke, UNC, UK, and more get tons of talent and miss the Final Four often. It really takes a lot of luck but the team would be a ton of fun regardless. 

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm getting sick and tired of Penny and Memphis. It pains me to feel this way because he was a childhood favorite of mine

I was telling a few people that didnt follow ball, and Im not saying anything new or groundbreaking here, but that guy's personality is going to beat out most of these guys we consider "elite" coaches. If he can win games too, show hes just respectable at Xs and Os, this train isnt going to stop any time soon. He might be the coolest ex player to get into the coaching ranks ever. Not the biggest name but probably the coolest 

9 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Barbee came here to use Auburn as a stepping stone. Bruce came here to do what he has always done, build a legit basketball program . I feel that Bruce really loves AU. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him spend the rest of his career here.

Stepped backwards to Kentucky!

21 hours ago, Tiger said:

Whatever Penny is doing at Memphis is a bit off.  Not saying he's funneling $$ to players....well maybe I am.  It's just strange.

6 hours ago, fishepa said:

Whatever Penny is doing at Memphis is a bit off.  Not saying he's funneling $$ to players....well maybe I am.  It's just strange.

Right now it is name recognition a lot of these kids growing up heard about Penny.  If he produces it will be even tougher if he gets talent and doesn't produce than in a few years name recognition won't matter. An awful lot of really good players were not great coaches we will just have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Right now it is name recognition a lot of these kids growing up heard about Penny.  If he produces it will be even tougher if he gets talent and doesn't produce than in a few years name recognition won't matter. An awful lot of really good players were not great coaches we will just have to wait and see.

Most of the kids were about 6 when he retired. 

Penny is a legend. It's hard to explain but he's different in the eyes of recruits, he's not just a former player, he's a former super star. And he was one of the smartest players to ever play the game. His basketball IQ is higher than normal. And if a player has ANY ties to the area. If they are close or played ball in Memphis/miss/Tenn area. That's it. That area is locked down. 

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Penny is a legend. It's hard to explain but he's different in the eyes of recruits, he's not just a former player, he's a former super star. And he was one of the smartest players to ever play the game. His basketball IQ is higher than normal. And if a player has ANY ties to the area. If they are close or played ball in Memphis/miss/Tenn area. That's it. That area is locked down. 

Totally agree. Even though he has been retired for years his name still comes up all the time on NBA programs.  Super Basketball IQ but I remember Russell who was a household name and also Super Basketball IQ who just never made it as a coach and there have been others.  Not saying same thing will happen with Penny as Russell was Pro coach and a different generation.  Memphis is a great basketball area in addition is not to far away from Atlanta and some of the NC hotbeds so he has some capital to spend.  I am not in the least surprised to see kids gravitate to him and Memphis now he has to produce or it all means nothing.

Sadly for Auburn and other teams I have heard him talk and I think he will be a great coach who can relate to his players

Penny has a "cool" factor to him and the recruits' parents all remember him well. And he's genuinely likable. Those Lil Penny commercials with Chris Rock doing the voice, his game, his chill demeanor. It all resonates with recruits.

Danny Manning, for example -- less "cool", way worse recruiter, probably in his last year at Wake Forest which can boast Chris Paul and Tim Duncan (and John Collins for the recruits) as names that everyone is familiar with. But also, he's been trying to emphasize an old school style of play which is definitely going to hurt you in this day and age.

Also, don't forget Penny's prowess as an AAU coach simply cannot be ignored. I wonder how in 5 years or so what his recruiting will look like if Memphis doesn't garner some of the success they're expecting. They will be banking on a Kentucky style model of extremely talented young guys to carry the team. Calipari has done a fantastic job using this model, lets see how Penny does. I know I'd be pulling for him if it didn't directly affect AU -- which it seems like it is.

Lets see how Jerry Stackhouse does at Vandy. He also was super plugged in to the AAU circuit if I'm not mistaken.

Archived