5* SG Jalen Green Picks The G League

tigerbrotha12

When I thought gleague was $30k I thought it was nuts ... 6 figures for a few months work for the elite guys is gonna be hard for college to overcome.

wish pro b-ball would work with college like baseball has.  Except maybe 2 years min in college if they go that route instead of 3.

I fully believe the pros would benefit if the vast majority of these kids spent a couple years in college.  The college game would benefit dramatically and the parity would improve 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Zeek said:

I absolutely hate this G league route for the future of NCAA basketball. Get it from the kids perspective but would prefer kids get degrees before going pro. If they had the same rules as college football NCAA basketball would be so much more entertaining; plus it would likely help with the NBA’s bankruptcy rate. Imagine having Okoro for two more years with the guys we got coming in now.

Unfortunately, you can never put the genie back in the bottle.

As long as the elite kids that choose college can enroll and leave for the NBA after 1 year, they are not going to get degrees. The NBA should follow the same rules as the NFL. JMO, I think it is short sighted for the HS kids to go the G League for $125K. These kids are lottery picks, $125k is chump change in the long run for them. They will be rich one year later when they sign their contract. The NBA is not a teachers league for the most part. I think these kids will get their last great teaching experience from the top notch college coaches. 

Sounds like a former Kentucky assistant is pushing the agenda on this Select Contract G-League route. I would imagine he's involved with Jalen in some capacity as well.

Guys let’s not devolve this into a philosophical debate on whether & when kids should be turning pro. Keep the focus here strictly on Jalen Green’s actual recruitment please. If you really want to discuss kids turning pro please take it somewhere else or if you want to do so in this thread wait till after Jalen commits and if he doesn’t choose Auburn you can do whatever with this thread.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

How close of a circus is this to Grandpa's birthday level of craziness?! lol

Not on that level yet, but most definitely the closest we’ve ever had to a basketball version of grandpa’s bday party!!!!

Edit:  But we’re on that level now!  We’ll be involved with many more ridiculous recruiting roller coasters in BB.   One more is already getting revved up in Kuminga!

He’s deciding between $125K in hand or all the benefits of the college experience for 1 year.  It’s a tough decision for a 17/18 year old.  (or anyone for that matter)

For me, I think 1 year as BMOC at a big time school like Auburn is worth more than $125K.   

Discouraging turn of events for sure. With the way things are and the uncertainty about when sports will resume, if he can get a guaranteed 125k or greater pay check next season he should take it. Having a bball season next season is uncertain in my opinion.....i think we are likely to have it but it is not certain. And IMO it is less certain that college bball will resume vs professional bball. I don't think college sports can resume until the colleges resume. Professional sports are simpler to get going again. 

If G-league starts snapping up more of these top guys its going to cause an interesting shift in recruiting. Will coaches just stop recruiting the top 10 or so rated guys? Maybe this will be the end to the one and done era since guys with that kind of talent will go straight pro? I would not be too heartbroken by that....since our profile has risen i've been uneasy about AU becoming a destination for these guys passing through for a season. 

50 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

He’s deciding between $125K in hand or all the benefits of the college experience for 1 year.  It’s a tough decision for a 17/18 year old.  (or anyone for that matter)

For me, I think 1 year as BMOC at a big time school like Auburn is worth more than $125K. 

From a distant, long term perspective, yes. If a kid's family qualifies for food stamps and has trouble paying the light bill, then maybe the 125K in hand is the way for him to go.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Guys let’s not devolve this into a philosophical debate on whether & when kids should be turning pro. Keep the focus here strictly on Jalen Green’s actual recruitment please. If you really want to discuss kids turning pro please take it somewhere else or if you want to do so in this thread wait till after Jalen commits and if he doesn’t choose Auburn you can do whatever with this thread.

But that’s the point ... it is part of his recruitment.  Apparently you have people actively “recruiting” kids to the g-league and offering them 6 figures to do so.  That is Auburn’s competition along with Memphis.

There are very few colleges who can offer an enticing alternative.  A very talented college coach will have to sell the college experience, TV exposure, big time conference play, championships, ncaa tourney, etc...

If CBP can sell the idea of possibly the best recruiting class in the country (if the Clarke kid goes g-league) his connections at ESPN,  the excitement behind the auburn brand, our atmosphere, sec, the auburn family etc... it might work.

a 6 figure Temp contract will be hard to turn down.  But only hard core nba fans will know who he is in the g-league.  He can be talked about multiple times a week, nationally casual college b-ball fans will know his name and he could have an instant fan base if he goes the college route at Auburn.

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I have repeatedly said I know virtually nothing about the nba ... but an elite kid who wants to be a “brand” can make up $125k in larger endorsements if he builds that brand through a year or 2 in college.  Or at least it seems that way to me.  I’m talking g-league vs college.  If a kid is a direct to nba talent then I say go for it dude ... but how many of those are there?

the colleges will have to apply political pressure to the pros to make a difference I would think.  ESPN may have to end up being the arbiter between college interests and the pros.  Colleges may have to provide some sort of concessions to nudge TV so they can nudge the pros.

will be interesting 

31 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I have repeatedly said I know virtually nothing about the nba ... but an elite kid who wants to be a “brand” can make up $125k in larger endorsements if he builds that brand through a year or 2 in college.  Or at least it seems that way to me.  I’m talking g-league vs college.  If a kid is a direct to nba talent then I say go for it dude ... but how many of those are there?

the colleges will have to apply political pressure to the pros to make a difference I would think.  ESPN may have to end up being the arbiter between college interests and the pros.  Colleges may have to provide some sort of concessions to nudge TV so they can nudge the pros.

will be interesting 

Based on what's being rumored this morning, Rod Strickland and others who are heading up this Select Contract situation have pushed for considerably more money for these elite recruits. It sounds like Jalen's G League contract will be $500K before any endorsements or shoe money. If that happens, I would expect multiple elite prospects in this class and the next to look at doing it.

40 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

will be interesting 

Equally in the dark here, but I do know that basketball is a global sport, so it's not like football where it's essentially NFL and/or endorsements or bust. There are many more paths to having a financially solvent career in basketball. Not a ton of guys in Europe making 7 figures but plenty in the 6 figure range. Guys can make money in Asia, too. 

As for $125k in endorsements, I can't imagine that's anywhere close to a given, even for the Greens and Coopers of the world. And like others said, now those guys have to wait for the virus to chill out before they can even start their college careers. 

That's just from a numbers perspective. In terms of what is the best platform for showcasing your talent to the NBA or other major international leagues, I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

But that’s the point ... it is part of his recruitment.  Apparently you have people actively “recruiting” kids to the g-league and offering them 6 figures to do so.  That is Auburn’s competition along with Memphis

And my point is to keep it specific to Jalen for now and not cross over into personal opinions on the G league, turning pro thing In general in this thread at least until after he commits and if he commits to somewhere other than Auburn. There are more people who want to see updates on Jalen than see opinions in general on whether and when kids should turn pro In this thread right now.

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

If CBP can sell the idea of possibly the best recruiting class in the country (if the Clarke kid goes g-league) his connections at ESPN,  the excitement behind the auburn brand, our atmosphere, sec, the auburn family etc... it might work.

a 6 figure Temp contract will be hard to turn down.  But only hard core nba fans will know who he is in the g-league.  He can be talked about multiple times a week, nationally casual college b-ball fans will know his name and he could have an instant fan base if he goes the college route at Auburn.

Thank you for reigning it in to specifically talk about Jalen.

Now that he's got everybody on edge about committing at noon tomorrow, he can go ahead and commit to AU today while nobody is expecting it. Yeah, that's the ticket.

There's an old medical facility in Bham called Cooper Green. Since Cooper has already committed to us, we need Green to commit tomorrow. We then need to buy Cooper Green Medical Center and make both young men honorary doctors.

Any Deadheads in here?

Jalen Green
Jalen Green
Best shooting guard I've ever seen
Once you're done with quarantiiiiiiiiiine
Come to Auburn, Jalen Greeeen

Screw you guys. Bill Walton liked it. 

Happy Birthday Bill Walton: An Ode to the Tallest Deadhead

8 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

There's an old medical facility in Bham called Cooper Green. Since Cooper has already committed to us, we need Green to commit tomorrow. We then need to buy Cooper Green Medical Center and make both young men honorary doctors.

Having spent a good bit of time at CG back in the day.....I’m not sure that they would consider this a compliment. 

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

Having spent a good bit of time at CG back in the day.....I’m not sure that they would consider this a compliment. 

Ive ridden by it a couple thousand times, but never been in it.

Can you tell my work is slow? Bored and writing miniscule comments on the AU Forum.

35 minutes ago, fredst said:

Wasn't Cooper Green the ghetto free clinic?

1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

Wasn't Cooper Green the ghetto free clinic?

My understanding was that if you didn't have insurance that was the place to go. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Not admitting defeat. Can't do it until he gone.

At this point I'm way more pissed that GB3 shifted Back towards Shaka and his sorry ass than JG going pro. There is absolutely nooooo way you can turn down close to 500k which is what it will be Corey Evans said. I don't fault him for that at all. Way to much money.

But choosing Shaka over Bruce?! GTFO man!!! Why did that change out of nowhere? We didn't even get to enjoy the false hope of crystal balls going our way!!! Lol. Yesterday was just a brutal day for crutin. We took body blow after body blow. This is the what if class if GB3 doesn't come to AU. We at one point or another felt good about Kessler, JG and brown coming to AU and we may not get even one of them. I always said I would be cool with just brown or green..... Come on Greg!!! Don't do this to us!!!! Lol. 

As far as Kuminga? Who the hell knows. That's months away and I'm not going to get my hopes up again this soon after all this.

Archived