5* SG Jalen Green Picks The G League

tigerbrotha12

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If I were Green there’s no way I’d have even hosted a stream if that’s my choice. Whose going to be getting pumped about it? NBL fans? Nope. 

I listened to a Memphis podcast this morning that kinda shed some more light on this whole situation. The G League is trying to establish an elite HS recruit/prep school-like exhibition team with these elite HS kids that would be OAD. So, they'll be paid like pros, train and develop like pros, play against pros, etc. They'll play against G League teams and Australian NBL teams. It sounds like the G League will control this particular team so no other teams are responsible for development while receiving no benefit. And the coach of this group is supposed to be Sam Mitchell, former NBA player and coach and Jalen's AAU coach in 2018.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Dang way to ruin the guy’s announcement Givony

True, but I'm wondering if the college coaches that have spent so much time recruiting him basically fed Givony the intel to spoil Jalen's moment? 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’ve said it a few times but I think this is absolutely horrendous for college basketball. If they can do that why have the one and done policy at all. Really Green will just play for dirt cheap compared to what he would have been making. 

Totally agree man. What's the point of this weird middle ground BS which isn't even actually middle ground? He could and should be making way more next season

I'll also look at the bright side that he was likely to pick us had G-league not been able to offer so much money. I don't blame the kid at all for taking the money if he can get the 6 figures being reported. 

However i do hope Bruce takes this as a learning experience and backs away from going after the one and done guys so hard. Lets build a team like we did with Harper, Brown, Spencer, and Wiley and have fun watching these guys grow over a few seasons. 

1 minute ago, tigeraddikt said:

True, but I'm wondering if the college coaches that have spent so much time recruiting him basically fed Givony the intel to spoil Jalen's moment? 

Yup 100% what happened. Someone leaked this on purpose to spite his announcement. I get the frustration if he really silently verballed to both teams. Typically a coach would have a lower level staffer do the leak though.

1 minute ago, gravejd said:

I'll also look at the bright side that he was likely to pick us had G-league not been able to offer so much money. I don't blame the kid at all for taking the money if he can get the 6 figures being reported. 

However i do hope Bruce takes this as a learning experience and backs away from going after the one and done guys so hard. Lets build a team like we did with Harper, Brown, Spencer, and Wiley and have fun watching these guys grow over a few seasons. 

Oh yeah, I hope no one thinks I’m blaming Jalen. It’s the PTB who have allowed this as a route for players to take in the first place. It’s a bad sign. 

Just now, gravejd said:

I completely agree with your sentiment, but think of just how tantalizing it is for a coaching staff to see such elite professional-level natural basketball talent and never attempt to convince them to come play for you, albeit for just one year.

Plus this G-League thing really came on last minute. Unlucky for us this is the year they can give a lot more money to an elite HS kid

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I’ve said it a few times but I think this is absolutely horrendous for college basketball. If they can do that why have the one and done policy at all. Really Green will just play for dirt cheap compared to what he would have been making. 

Not really. He'll make $500k plus get a shoe deal that will escalate when he's drafted. Maybe the endorsements and shoe companies get a bit of a bargain up front, but Jalen gets paid a bunch of money in a year where he'd normally be playing college ball and not receiving anything.

This could be "bad" for college basketball in the sense that the top 5-10 recruits in the country could choose to go this route. But it sounds like, for now, it's only one team. It might at some point expand to more teams or even a whole league, similar to AAU as pros. But it's not stealing the top 100-150 recruits every year. IMO it's for the best. The OAD rule is ridiculous but can't be changed right now because of the current CBA, which runs through 2022. The NCAA can't pay these kids what they'd make in this G League setup. So let those guys go make that money. It will probably balance out the NCAA game and the game will still be quality and exciting.

3 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Not really. He'll make $500k plus get a shoe deal that will escalate when he's drafted. Maybe the endorsements and shoe companies get a bit of a bargain up front, but Jalen gets paid a bunch of money in a year where he'd normally be playing college ball and not receiving anything.

This could be "bad" for college basketball in the sense that the top 5-10 recruits in the country could choose to go this route. But it sounds like, for now, it's only one team. It might at some point expand to more teams or even a whole league, similar to AAU as pros. But it's not stealing the top 100-150 recruits every year. IMO it's for the best. The OAD rule is ridiculous but can't be changed right now because of the current CBA, which runs through 2022. The NCAA can't pay these kids what they'd make in this G League setup. So let those guys go make that money. It will probably balance out the NCAA game and the game will still be quality and exciting.

Disagree. I agree the one and done is ridiculous but I think in the opposite direction. Should have the same amount of time requirements as football. Just let the players profit off their likeness. 

We will go back to seeing teams like Kentucky/Duke/Kansas go back to getting the best multi-year players. This actually will hurt us some because we were recruiting in the tier just below them and now those blue bloods will be looking into the recruiting "space" we were working in.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Disagree. I agree the one and done is ridiculous but I think in the opposite direction. Should have the same amount of time requirements as football. Just let the players profit off their likeness. 

I want kids to have the option to go pro out of HS (on invite from the NBA/G League) or go to school. If they choose college, they stay for 3 years like baseball or football. But basketball kids should be able to go pro out of HS. If they go pro, let the NBA sort out if they want those kids in the draft straight out of HS or a stepper league like they're trying to do with the G League. And I'd like for kids who go the G League route but don't make it to be able to re-enter college basketball. 

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Plus this G-League thing really came on last minute. Unlucky for us this is the year they can give a lot more money to an elite HS kid

Interesting move by the G League given the economy— wonder if money might dry up?

9 minutes ago, boomstick said:

. And I'd like for kids who go the G League route but don't make it to be able to re-enter college basketball. 

I cannot agree with this part.  There is no way at all they should deserve/get a scholarship if that is also what you are saying.  I say give them the opportunity to compete but on their own dime since they chose money over an education once before.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Interesting move by the G League given the economy— wonder if money might dry up?

Won’t matter once he gets paid once (from them or a sponsor) he’s forever stuck in the professional world. Never getting the option to experience college ball or march madness. Pro fans don’t truly embrace players like college fans.

This is a bad day for college basketball.

Kuminga and the George Mason transfer are likely the next two targets I would imagine. 

Just now, auburnphan said:

I cannot agree with this part.  There is no way at all they should deserve/get a scholarship if that is also what you are saying.  I say give them the opportunity to compete but on their own dime since they chose money over an education once before.

That's fine. Don't give them a scholarship. But don't eliminate them from eligibility because they made a decision that most times isn't just about them. 

Just now, Zeek said:

Won’t matter once he gets paid once (from them or a sponsor) he’s forever stuck in the professional world. Never getting the option to experience college ball or march madness. Pro fans don’t truly embrace players like college fans.

This is a bad day for college basketball.

Kuminga and the George Mason transfer are likely the next two targets I would imagine. 

I'd temper the expectations on Kuminga after this decision by Jalen. If they have landed Jalen, the G League is about to go all out to land a few more of these elite recruits, and I think he will be one. We're probably going to run into the same type of recruitment with him that we've experienced with Jalen.

2 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That's fine. Don't give them a scholarship. But don't eliminate them from eligibility because they made a decision that most times isn't just about them. 

Agree.

34 minutes ago, gravejd said:

However i do hope Bruce takes this as a learning experience and backs away from going after the one and done guys so hard.

What have we lost? Who will we not get because of going after Green? Would you have Bruce just concede the best players in the country? Remember, Memphis almost had this kid, too. I understand not wanting to have a team consisting completely of 1-and-dones year in, year out, but I'm not sure that's what Bruce was going for here. 

This guy, along with the other guys we have pursued in this class, would've made us a title contender out of the box. I'm glad we fought for him and the rest. And I LOVE that we're playing a different game at Auburn now. We may be rookies, but we're rookies in the big leagues. I like it. 

Imagine if he still announced for a college. Now that would blow up social media lol.

Well that is okay.  Auburn put its best foot forward and sometimes you can't overcome these things.  You never know, we could have avoided a situation discussed earlier where he commits to Auburn and then bails for the G-League before playing for us.  Then our staff has to scrap everything and create a new gameplan last minute.  I like who we have so far.  Best of luck to Jalen in the G-League!

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well that is okay.  Auburn put its best foot forward and sometimes you can't overcome these things.  You never know, we could have avoided a situation discussed earlier where he commits to Auburn and then bails for the G-League before playing for us.  Then our staff has to scrap everything and create a new gameplan last minute.  I like who we have so far.  Best of luck to Jalen in the G-League!

It feels like football recruiting when we lose because someone else is willing to pay 😢 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

It feels like football recruiting when we lose because someone else is willing to pay 😢 

That's why we are able to take this as well as we are. We have experience. 😢

It’s 3D chess guys

announce g league

see who has the most toxic fans

pick the other team 

Archived