My Thoughts From the Stadium (Mississippi State)

abw0004

Good morning everyone,

I hope this finds you well and in good spirits. I also hope you are staying cool as Summer is refusing to go quietly into the night.  Another Saturday, another win.  Let's dive in shall we?

All Auburn, All Orange:  This game Auburn asked fans to wear orange.  Orange shirts, orange shakers, orange hats, everything.  That looked pretty impressive and something I look forward to.  I went back and watched the game yesterday and the orange turned out really well on TV.

Marching Band:  As always, our marching band performed really well.  They played their Wild West show again, which after four straight times they played it, is still a sight to behold.  The only critique I have is not in the marching band itself, but the hype video before they take the field.  The video always starts out quiet (not by design) and by the halfway point the audio is off from the video by a whole second.  I am surprised no one in their department has noticed this yet.  It ruins a really well thought-out video.  

Auburn Basketball Team:  If you did not see my comments on the game thread on the first page, the current basketball team, and Charles Barkley along with the Final Four basketball team were in attendance.  The only players not there were Jared Harper, Malik Dunbar, and Horace Spencer due to their professional teams.  The rings were awarded and the crowd went nuts.  One thing I have always appreciated is how close Gus and Bruce have always been.  Through everything, each coach has admittedly stuck by the other.  I can't think of another school who does that.  The best moment by far was before the game when the players were being shown, they zoomed in on Chuma Okeke to get his attention.  Once they did, they zoomed in on a girl in the student section holding up a sign asking Chuma to be her formal date.  Then they went back to Chuma, and did this a few times to make sure Chuma saw it.  Boy did he ever.  He gave the biggest embarrassed smile ever and was a really special moment.  I hope these players continue to come back.  Special moment indeed.

Crowd Noise:  I was pleasantly surprised on how loud it was.  I honestly did not think it would be as loud as it was since it wasn't a bigger SEC game.  We got loud and got loud early.  That delay of game on the first play was no accident.  The very first moment they were on the field we made it difficult and I know the recruits noticed.  Speaking of recruits...

Recruits:  Go back to the game thread and on the first page look at my picture of all of the recruits visiting for this game.  The last time I saw that many guys was the Alabama game in 2017.  There were a lot of guys there, and more than have been listed on the recruiting side of this forum.  Great game to go to as well with the atmosphere and the game itself.

Playcalling:  Do you remember after the Tulane game when I said Gus Malzahn was intentionally not showing new plays and keeping things vanilla?  Remember how many on here said that was impossible?  Well, it turns out he was in fact doing so.  And in doing so we have caught Texas A&M and Mississippi State off guard.  But hey, it is one of those things if you were disagreeing with me, being wrong is still a win for you/us because it has helped us be successful.  Gus is back to his old self and firing with more energy than I have seen in a long time.  He has bought into it, his players have bought into it, and the fans have bought into it.

Gus Bus:  I think a few more people have gotten back onto the bus that were in that stadium.  It was just a different feeling.  After the first quarter ended, everyone stood up, put their shakers down, and were clapping.  Clapping.  That happened after every quarter.  I have never heard that before and it was heartwarming.  I think that will trickle into this forum as well.  I suppose it feels good for me is because Gus is doing exactly what I knew he could very well do.  What is happening for our team is the  exact reason why I was one of the very few who never wavered on Gus.  And now we get to enjoy this amazing start together, united.

Rotating Players:  It was nice to see the 2's, 3's, and even 4's go against an SEC first string offense and defense.  It was good seeing Joey to more at quarterback and for all of our running backs continue to be utilized.  Sure Whitlow is still our feature back, but every team has a feature back.  This year Malzahn has made it clear that we are rotating players.  I believe we will see success with this, just like our defensive line has for years.

Looking Forward:  It is hard to imagine that we are over a month away from setting foot in Jordan-Hare again.  Our schedule may continue to appear daunting, but just take it one game at a time and it is easier to handle.  Hey, we are 5-0.  Malzahn has only accomplished this two other times, 2014 and 2010.  We head into the Swamp for an unknown in Florida.  They are wanting to use our game reminisce on yesteryear with their throwback uniforms, so let's do the same.  Let's give them some vintage 2007.  It has aged well, so let's uncork that and come out with another win.

:wareagle:

OrnerySimpleBubblefish-size_restricted.gif

57 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Playcalling:  Do you remember after the Tulane game when I said Gus Malzahn was intentionally not showing new plays and keeping things vanilla?  Remember how many on here said that was impossible?  Well, it turns out he was in fact doing so.  And in doing so we have caught Texas A&M and Mississippi State off guard.  But hey, it is one of those things if you were disagreeing with me, being wrong is still a win for you/us because it has helped us be successful.  Gus is back to his old self and firing with more energy than I have seen in a long time.  He has bought into it, his players have bought into it, and the fans have bought into it.

I do remember this and I was one of the people who thought that line of thinking was crazy. Having said that, we have better executed the plays that are being called. First, the OL has improved and keeps improving and that has helped, secondly, Nix is improving with every game and although we were calling the deep passes before, he wasn't hitting them. He finally hit them against State.. Nix is also being allowed to run the zone read more which opens up the running game for the rbs.  I would say Gus is calling plays based on the strengths he has on the field. For that, I give him 100% credit. I think those of us who have been critical of CGM just wanted to see this from him.

I have been saying the same thing and oh BTW he's still saving some plays we haven't seen yet 

4 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I do remember this and I was one of the people who thought that line of thinking was crazy. Having said that, we have better executed the plays that are being called. First, the OL has improved and keeps improving and that has helped, secondly, Nix is improving with every game and although we were calling the deep passes before, he wasn't hitting them. He finally hit them against State.. Nix is also being allowed to run the zone read more which opens up the running game for the rbs.  I would say Gus is calling plays based on the strengths he has on the field. For that, I give him 100% credit. I think those of us who have been critical of CGM just wanted to see this from him.

Yep.....I mean with a freshman QB and several good players missing, what coach runs out his full playbook?   I've read elsewhere that most coaches are still "implementing" their playbook three or four games into a season.  But you can't please everyone.....some complaining about it being vanilla and others complaining because we ran some trick plays against mediocre teams.   I guess in the early games, coaches do what they think is necessary to win....and to develop the young players too.  

I don't think we will see a new offense every week and will see some of the same "trick plays" again this season...maybe several times.    Auburn runs a lot of different plays out of the same "look". ..and the same basic play out of several different "sets".    The challenge is disguising your intentions and selling the deception which Gus is pretty good at doing..  An Nix is getting better at decision making.....which is a major factor too.  JMO

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Good morning everyone,

I hope this finds you well and in good spirits. I also hope you are staying cool as Summer is refusing to go quietly into the night.  Another Saturday, another win.  Let's dive in shall we?

All Auburn, All Orange:  This game Auburn asked fans to wear orange.  Orange shirts, orange shakers, orange hats, everything.  That looked pretty impressive and something I look forward to.  I went back and watched the game yesterday and the orange turned out really well on TV.

Marching Band:  As always, our marching band performed really well.  They played their Wild West show again, which after four straight times they played it, is still a sight to behold.  The only critique I have is not in the marching band itself, but the hype video before they take the field.  The video always starts out quiet (not by design) and by the halfway point the audio is off from the video by a whole second.  I am surprised no one in their department has noticed this yet.  It ruins a really well thought-out video.  

Auburn Basketball Team:  If you did not see my comments on the game thread on the first page, the current basketball team, and Charles Barkley along with the Final Four basketball team were in attendance.  The only players not there were Jared Harper, Malik Dunbar, and Horace Spencer due to their professional teams.  The rings were awarded and the crowd went nuts.  One thing I have always appreciated is how close Gus and Bruce have always been.  Through everything, each coach has admittedly stuck by the other.  I can't think of another school who does that.  The best moment by far was before the game when the players were being shown, they zoomed in on Chuma Okeke to get his attention.  Once they did, they zoomed in on a girl in the student section holding up a sign asking Chuma to be her formal date.  Then they went back to Chuma, and did this a few times to make sure Chuma saw it.  Boy did he ever.  He gave the biggest embarrassed smile ever and was a really special moment.  I hope these players continue to come back.  Special moment indeed.

Crowd Noise:  I was pleasantly surprised on how loud it was.  I honestly did not think it would be as loud as it was since it wasn't a bigger SEC game.  We got loud and got loud early.  That delay of game on the first play was no accident.  The very first moment they were on the field we made it difficult and I know the recruits noticed.  Speaking of recruits...

Recruits:  Go back to the game thread and on the first page look at my picture of all of the recruits visiting for this game.  The last time I saw that many guys was the Alabama game in 2017.  There were a lot of guys there, and more than have been listed on the recruiting side of this forum.  Great game to go to as well with the atmosphere and the game itself.

Gus Bus:  I think a few more people have gotten back onto the bus that were in that stadium.  It was just a different feeling.  After the first quarter ended, everyone stood up, put their shakers down, and were clapping.  Clapping.  That happened after every quarter.  I have never heard that before and it was heartwarming.  I think that will trickle into this forum as well.  I suppose it feels good for me is because Gus is doing exactly what I knew he could very well do.  What is happening for our team is the  exact reason why I was one of the very few who never wavered on Gus.  And now we get to enjoy this amazing start together, united.

Rotating Players:  It was nice to see the 2's, 3's, and even 4's go against an SEC first string offense and defense.  It was good seeing Joey to more at quarterback and for all of our running backs continue to be utilized.  Sure Whitlow is still our feature back, but every team has a feature back.  This year Malzahn has made it clear that we are rotating players.  I believe we will see success with this, just like our defensive line has for years.

Looking Forward:  It is hard to imagine that we are over a month away from setting foot in Jordan-Hare again.  Our schedule may continue to appear daunting, but just take it one game at a time and it is easier to handle.  Hey, we are 5-0.  Malzahn has only accomplished this two other times, 2014 and 2010.  We head into the Swamp for an unknown in Florida.  They are wanting to use our game reminisce on yesteryear with their throwback uniforms, so let's do the same.  Let's give them some vintage 2007.  It has aged well, so let's uncork that and come out with another win.

Yep I WILL EAT CROW on the vanilla play calling because I thought you were crazy indeed, but you were indeed right my friend. 

37 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I second this.

Side note, the last time we lost to Florida was 2002 meaning their freshmen were hardly 1 or 2 years old...

War Damn

Also, the clapping thing sounds like a special experience. I don’t remember seeing this before. Hope this Fire never dies in Gus’ belly.

Wanted to share this, but wasn't sure which thread I should put it in.

I have the opportunity to attend a few games this year. Something I haven't done for a few years. That being said, I had a real proud Auburn moment at the Miss State game. Sitting in our section in the West upper deck we're about 6, or 7 ladies from Mississippi, all sporting MSU shirts. One of the ladies told me they were on a quest to attend a game at every stadium in the SEC. As I was chatting with one of them, and basically welcoming them, at least three more Auburn fans stopped on their way to their seats to welcome them to Auburn. Sometime right before halftime one of the ladies turned to me and said, " this has been by far our best visit to any SEC stadium by far." I thanked her, and told her that Auburn is a special place, and she said she certainly agreed. 

I thought of how what I saw was a stark contrast to what I've experienced, or seen at rival stadiums.  No drunks shouting obscenities, as I have frequently seen in Athens, GA. No idiots who felt the need to shout roll tide in their face, as I have frequently seen from turd fans. Just Auburn men, and women conducting themselves with class, as we should all expect. 

War Eagle.

35 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I have the opportunity to attend a few games this year. Something I haven't done for a few years. That being said, I had a real proud Auburn moment at the Miss State game. Sitting in our section in the West upper deck we're about 6, or 7 ladies from Mississippi, all sporting MSU shirts. One of the ladies told me they were on a quest to attend a game at every stadium in the SEC. As I was chatting with one of them, and basically welcoming them, at least three more Auburn fans stopped on their way to their seats to welcome them to Auburn. Sometime right before halftime one of the ladies turned to me and said, " this has been by far our best visit to any SEC stadium by far." I thanked her, and told her that Auburn is a special place, and she said she certainly agreed. 

I thought of how what I saw was a stark contrast to what I've experienced, or seen at rival stadiums.  No drunks shouting obscenities, as I have frequently seen in Athens, GA. No idiots who felt the need to shout roll tide in their face, as I have frequently seen from turd fans. Just Auburn men, and women conducting themselves with class, as we should all expect. 

War Eagle.

I went to the A&M game, heard variations of the same story from several Aggie alums who had been to the Plains. One couple in particular singled me and my son out to tell us what a wonderful experience they had at AU and how much they enjoyed the eagle flight. 

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

A few minutes into that Tulane game, I told my son it was going to be a snoozer offensively, as our plan was clearly to wear out that fat guy in the middle, who was their only dominant player, then just work on the run game and fundamentals while we slowly ground them into the J-H turf. Remember the rent-a-win game where Gus made Cam drop back and pass on every down or hand off so he could work on his passing and the rest of the team could work on run blocking? I don't think Cam had a single rushing yard in that game, but the reps paid off later. It's what Gus does in these games. 

55 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

War Eagle.

Jordan-Hare is the only place I feel comfortable taking my kids for ballgames. It truly is a family atmosphere. I've never met a stranger at Auburn,  not many places can say the same. War Damn.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep.....I mean with a freshman QB and several good players missing, what coach runs out his full playbook?   I've read elsewhere that most coaches are still "implementing" their playbook three or four games into a season.  But you can't please everyone.....some complaining about it being vanilla and others complaining because we ran some trick plays against mediocre teams.   I guess in the early games, coaches do what they think is necessary to win....and to develop the young players too.  

I don't think we will see a new offense every week and will see some of the same "trick plays" again this season...maybe several times.    Auburn runs a lot of different plays out of the same "look". ..and the same basic play out of several different "sets".    The challenge is disguising your intentions and selling the deception which Gus is pretty good at doing..  An Nix is getting better at decision making.....which is a major factor too.  JMO

the reason I said this line of thinking was crazy was not for the freshman QB and it had nothing to do with running a limited playbook.. It was the TYPE of plays you are calling..  whether it was vanilla or not. I think CGM has adjusted his way of thinking.. (stop running it straight up the middle etc) and has adjusted to the players he has on the field.. starting with the OL and the  way he is running the ball.. instead of going with the dive up the middle we are pulling linemen and exploiting off tackle and outside runs. (going away from the norm) In the Texas AM and MSU games you can see CGM getting more comfortable with allowing Nix to run the ball which as I said before has opened up the lanes for the RBS.  Nix is getting better and better. I can only speak for myself, I have not been happy with the play calling for a long time BUT I am happy now because I can see CGM going away from his norms which is big in allowing this offense to adapt and get better every game. I am so happy CGM has started to play to his strengths instead of being so stubborn. I want him to succeed.. I want him to get better.. that means Auburn is better.. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yeah. A slow roll out because of inexperience makes sense. There's a conversation to be had about to what extent that should be a thing in year 7, but there's logic there. 

Not so much with the sandbagging theory. Just as silly today as it was before Saturday.

Gus hasn't been good at disguising or deceiving in years but he sure had that defense guessing wrong the other night. He also just allowed his superior players to make plays. 

I was at the game on Saturday night and the atmosphere was electric! I have been to many games at Jordan Hare and night games are the best! It was a great ovation for the basketball team! Loved the moment with Chuma and the coed! It was particularly fun since we had the game in hand so early. They played a lot of oldies over the loudspeaker and the crowd was singing along!  A great night all around.

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Good morning everyone,

Ha. I was at that game as a young band member. After we lost, the students threw pee-filled balloons at us from the dorms. They were about as accurate as Tebow was at quarterback that night... missed us completely.

10 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

War Eagle.

That is something that has crossed my mind, that if we allow alcohol sales in the stadium if we lose any of our charm.  As in people that would be inebriated in the stadium might make poor choices and say things not as friendly.  It is a risk.  

6 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Nope won’t change that as you’d be surprised how many sneak alcohol into the stadium now.

Oh I’m aware.  I was in a fraternity in the block seating where after the game, mini’s were everywhere.  But would it be worse with easier access to alcohol? I don’t know, but something to consider.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Oh I’m aware.  I was in a fraternity in the block seating where after the game, mini’s were everywhere.  But would it be worse with easier access to alcohol? I don’t know, but something to consider.

Still no I doubt it highly as there is nothing difficult now. The only thing that would change is the profit going to the university instead of the liquor store. There’s a reason why you don’t hear a bunch of issues at all the pro stadiums etc

it might actually alleviate some issues.  a lot of folks sneak it in the old fashioned way - enough in the stomach to last the game.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:00 AM, TigerHorn said:

I went to the A&M game, heard variations of the same story from several Aggie alums who had been to the Plains. One couple in particular singled me and my son out to tell us what a wonderful experience they had at AU and how much they enjoyed the eagle flight. 

And likewise at College Station. I went in '13 and in '15. Aggiefan could not have nicer to my son and me on both trips.

Archived