Looking Back at AU/Florida Rivalry (Threads Merged)

Viper

Great article. I watched them both and it's still hard to believe Sanders made the 2 incredible catches vs Bama in 93 and UF in 94. That guy was as clutch as any AU player I can remember watching.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2019 at 12:00 AM, Viper said:

This is a thread to tell your favorite Auburn / Florida games & memories. Plenty to choose from. 1983. 1987. 1988. 1989. 1993. 1994. 2001. 2006. 2007.

You whippersnappers may not know...this used to be a great rivalry until 2003. 1983-2002 produced some great ones. (@Mikey and @augolf1716 can share their's as far back as the 1912 game).

From 1983 to date...Auburn and Florida have remarkably only met undefeated twice.

Both of them all-time classic Auburn wins.

So this will be just the 3rd time since 1983 that these two have squared off as unbeatens...insane.

Pretty obvious if you've seen my posts this week as 1994 is my all-timer. A 16-point underdog upset the #1 ranked Gators with the #1 ranked Defense. The best "War Eagle" I've ever seen took place in the Visitor's Lockeroom that day.

When the camera pans to Patrick Nix in that stadium this Saturday, the place he and his teammates played the best game I've ever witnessed, to watch his son attempt to recreate that same magic as October 15th, 1994, there'll be a tear in my eye.

I cannot express enough how excited as I am for this game. I feel transported back 25 years. The buildup that week for that game was off the charts.

2007. long story short. as the male alligators left the nest for the females to keep warm... some eagles flew in to roost

What better way to pregame for today than watch these! I have a question though. I can't figure it out for the life of me. On the game from 2001, if you skip to 08:42 on the video, UF elects to punt on 3rd down. I know it was 3rd and 25 but still. I can't fathom SP giving up and conceding a down. Can anyone explain the benefit? I know there are times when it may be advantageous to attempt a FG on 3rd down so you get another shot if it is blocked and recovered, but this?

• ellitor changed the title to Looking Back at AU/Florida Rivalry (Threads Merged)
On 10/2/2019 at 8:18 PM, fredst said:

We should have been up about 35-0 in that one. F’ing Bell with one leg, Nattiel with one hand, and (worst of all) freakin’ McGinty making a kick

I don't know if McGinty's kick was 'easy' or not in that game but he likely would not have been Florida's kicker if he had nailed a game winner for AU in the '84 Iron Bowl. I heard he was maligned so bad after that game that he transferred out.

Archived