Lawsuit Againsts The Myers'

Hate to see this but anyone can file a lawsuit so the fact that she found an attorney to do this is not surprising.   Expect they are hoping for some kind of negotiated settlement like the baseball case. .   I don't know any of the facts but if AU thinks it is innocent I'm hoping they fight it to the bitter end. 

Sunny's attorney?   Not that great a recommendation in my view and seems he took a settlement against the wishes of Sunny. .  

One measure of relief she is seeking is placement on the AU softball team? I can't imagine she'd be welcome there, she already tried out after Clint left and was not invited back. Maybe I should file suit against AU and Bruce Pearl so he'll put me on the basketball team. That should be fun...

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

One measure of relief she is seeking is placement on the AU softball team? I can't imagine she'd be welcome there, she already tried out after Clint left and was not invited back. Maybe I should file suit against AU and Bruce Pearl so he'll put me on the basketball team. That should be fun...

Let's see, maybe it's not too late to go after Coach Luther Young ...the tennis coach who never gave me a fair chance to play in actual competitive matches.....just had me play practice matches against his favorites.....some of whom I could beat on occasion but never got moved up the ladder.    I do appreciate the free tennis balls for several years though so maybe I should just leave well enough alone. :dunno:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Let's see, maybe it's not too late to go after Coach Luther Young ...the tennis coach who never gave me a fair chance to play in actual competitive matches.....just had me play practice matches against his favorites.....some of whom I could beat on occasion but never got moved up the ladder.    I do appreciate the free tennis balls for several years though so maybe I should just leave well enough alone. :dunno:

Hell what more could you want. I got free golf balls, bags, shirts etc etc plus I could eat at Sewell Hall anytime I wanted. Shug took a liking to me cause I was a frat brother and good football recruiter host

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell what more could you want. I got free golf balls, bags, shirts etc etc plus I could eat at Sewell Hall anytime I wanted. Shug took a liking to me cause I was a frat brother and good football recruiter host

I never got the free meals.....and had to buy my own racquet and no shirt although that was back in the day when players wore all white....and who would wear something like that anywhere but on the tennis courts ?.    BUT... I should have been more assertive I guess....🙁 

The good old days of walk-ons playing most of the non-revenue sports.

The NCAA gives you 5 years to compete in 4 seasons athletically, with the fifth year being a red-shirt year. A red-shirt year gives athletes the opportunity to sit out a year of competition (for reasons such as injury or competition for playing time) and still be allowed to compete in all four years athletically.

Hasn't her time elapsed by now?  I fully support her going after the coaches if there was any wrong doing.

47 minutes ago, wareagle1969 said:

The NCAA gives you 5 years to compete in 4 seasons athletically, with the fifth year being a red-shirt year. A red-shirt year gives athletes the opportunity to sit out a year of competition (for reasons such as injury or competition for playing time) and still be allowed to compete in all four years athletically.

Hasn't her time elapsed by now?  I fully support her going after the coaches if there was any wrong doing.

She's going after everyone involved with Auburn at the time this unfolded.  Clint/Corey Myers, Jay Jacobs, Steven Leath, Jay Gogue, and AU.

The case has some legs, a LOT of Auburn people in charge were notified and warned multiple times about Corey and his inappropriate relationship with more than one player, AU Compliance was involved and Meredith was a key figure in trying to suppress what was going on.  The girl wrote a letter the Governor of Alabama to try to get something addressed because it was obvious the Auburn Administration, including Jay Gogue intended to do nothing.

The entire thing was handled poorly and Title IX will force AU to pay for the mistakes. 

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

I never got the free meals.....and had to buy my own racquet and no shirt although that was back in the day when players wore all white....and who would wear something like that anywhere but on the tennis courts ?.    BUT... I should have been more assertive I guess....🙁 

Just to get you going here is a photo of a young Luther Young who was married in the Social Center at AU in the 40's. Its hard to believe Young coached there for almost 30 years. I still remember my tennis class with him in the 70's. :)

Cater Wedding 1

9 hours ago, FUZZYAUFAN said:

With the lawsuit is there a possibility of an NCAA investigation and possible sanctions against the softball team. 

When lawsuits and the NCAA are involved, anything is possible. My guess is that big trouble for AU is unlikely but that's just a guess.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:32 PM, steeleagle said:

Just to get you going here is a photo of a young Luther Young who was married in the Social Center at AU in the 40's. Its hard to believe Young coached there for almost 30 years. I still remember my tennis class with him in the 70's. :)

Cater Wedding 1

Yep....that's him....actually did not see too much of him except on days of the matches.....otherwise he generally just came by practice and made sure everyone had a reasonable supply of the fuzzy balls and then took off.   The courts were next to the stadium about where Haley Center is located. Other than matches, most courts were open to anyone who wanted to play.   Back in the day, Tennis was truly a minor sport to anyone but the players.    

I was at the match when history was made in the state of Alabama.  Bama's #1 player was a young woman named Roberta Allison...who was nationally ranked and she came to AU to represent bama.    Lots of discussion about whether AU would put a player up against her...and who it would be.  I have to say that I don't recall the outcome but some other old fart on this forum might know. 

Interesting that AU and bama managed to settle that issue without a lawsuit and Coach Young should probably get credit for not making too much out of it since I understand that some schools defaulted matches against her. 

I believe they named the tennis center at ua for her (she passed several years ago).  My nephew knew her quite well, played with her in Alex. City in the 70s/80s.  He said that indeed most schools put a name in the bracket to oppose her, but then defaulted the match.

• ellitor changed the title to Lawsuit Againsts The Myers'
On 10/4/2019 at 8:00 AM, wareagle1969 said:

Hasn't her time elapsed by now?

Yes but given her situation she could file some kind of appeal with the NCAA.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:15 AM, keesler said:

She's going after everyone involved with Auburn at the time this unfolded.  Clint/Corey Myers, Jay Jacobs, Steven Leath, Jay Gogue, and AU.

The case has some legs, a LOT of Auburn people in charge were notified and warned multiple times about Corey and his inappropriate relationship with more than one player, AU Compliance was involved and Meredith was a key figure in trying to suppress what was going on.  The girl wrote a letter the Governor of Alabama to try to get something addressed because it was obvious the Auburn Administration, including Jay Gogue intended to do nothing.

The entire thing was handled poorly and Title IX will force AU to pay for the mistakes.

Leath was not at AU at the time or involved.

30 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

I'm assuming that if this goes to trial (unlikely), there will be discovery?

Discovery of what?

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Leath was not at AU at the time or involved.

Right, he was just there for the clean up job that resulted from mismanagement prior to his arrival.  

On 10/3/2019 at 6:13 PM, augolf1716 said:
On 10/3/2019 at 4:46 PM, AU64 said:

Love hearing these kinds of stories, seriously. Thanks for sharing. Athletics had already gotten too corporate even by my time at AU for that kind of stuff

On 10/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, ellitor said:

Discovery of what?

discovery

n. the entire efforts of a party to a lawsuit and his/her/its attorneys to obtain information before trial through demands for production of documents, depositions of parties and potential witnesses, written interrogatories (questions and answers written under oath), written requests for admissions of fact, examination of the scene and the petitions and motions employed to enforce discovery rights.

In other words, both (all) parties will have to submit depositions and reveal facts hitheto unknown to the public.  A not-uncommon deterrent to filing a lawsuit is that the facts of the dispute will become known through discovery to the general public, which one or both parties may not wish revealed.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:04 PM, AU64 said:

one of my roommates was on the tennis team in the early 70's. Came from California. I asked him what the heck was he doing coming all the way from California to Auburn to play tennis? His dad had money, and he wanted to get as far away from home as possible so he decided on AU. Not sure if he got any scholarship money, but he definitely didn't need it. He always drove a new white convertible Plymouth Satellite.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, AU64 said:

Hate to see this but anyone can file a lawsuit so the fact that she found an attorney to do this is not surprising.   Expect they are hoping for some kind of negotiated settlement like the baseball case. .   I don't know any of the facts but if AU thinks it is innocent I'm hoping they fight it to the bitter end. 

Sunny's attorney?   Not that great a recommendation in my view and seems he took a settlement against the wishes of Sunny. .  

Sunny does not use good judgement, and he likes to fight with people. The attorney was probably glad to settle and get rid of that case.  I wouldn't hold it against the attorney at all. 

Archived