Auburn Volleyball

Mikey

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently no volleyball this spring for Auburn.

AUBURN, Ala. – Due to the result of opt-outs and injuries, the Auburn volleyball program will not compete during the spring semester portion of the 2020-21 season. Auburn, which played eight competitions in the fall under first-year head coach Brent Crouch, will fall below the minimum threshold required to compete this spring due to the number of total participants and available front row players.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

It just seems a bit strange that volleyball status changed so much in one month.

On 12/21/2020

"We are thrilled we are able to continue our SEC play this spring," said Crouch. "It's a great schedule both from a traveling and a competitive standpoint. We are building an elite program here at Auburn, and the fact of the matter is that building can't happen if you can't compete.  Auburn University and the SEC are going to incredible lengths to provide for the well-being of our staff and student-athletes.  We are grateful for the opportunity to play again while so many others are unfortunately not able to do so."   

Then 1/22/2021

Due to the result of opt-outs and injuries, the Auburn volleyball program will not compete during the spring semester portion of the 2020-21 season. Auburn, which played eight competitions in the fall under first-year head coach Brent Crouch, will fall below the minimum threshold required to compete this spring due to the number of total participants and available front row players."

I believe we are the only SEC team to cancel our spring season.  I am all in on protecting the health of players but we went from being "thrilled" to being too short-handed to compete.  Just seems a little odd.

Edited by slot canyon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been able to watch a few National Qualifiers this club season and have managed to catch most of the class of 2022 in action. The athletes Brent and Alex have recruited are phenomenal Open level players. Their club teams are routinely finishing in gold or silver brackets which is getting them regular exposure to playing against the best players in the country. I have extremely high hopes for Auburn volleyball, but it will take a couple of seasons to get all of the pieces in place.

Starting to fill the arena this fall and building up an active fan base will really help in recruiting and begin to create a home court advantage. Take a look at the Nebraska fan base to see where we need to get to. Obviously winning makes this easier, but we need to make progress regardless. Brent has a great thing going, we need to help by building up a buzz around his team. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, VolleyMike said:

I have been able to watch a few National Qualifiers this club season and have managed to catch most of the class of 2022 in action. The athletes Brent and Alex have recruited are phenomenal Open level players. Their club teams are routinely finishing in gold or silver brackets which is getting them regular exposure to playing against the best players in the country. I have extremely high hopes for Auburn volleyball, but it will take a couple of seasons to get all of the pieces in place.

Starting to fill the arena this fall and building up an active fan base will really help in recruiting and begin to create a home court advantage. Take a look at the Nebraska fan base to see where we need to get to. Obviously winning makes this easier, but we need to make progress regardless. Brent has a great thing going, we need to help by building up a buzz around his team. 

Thanks for the write up post more often

• 5 months later...

Good showing for the ladies last night! First win since 2019! I was curious however where several of our girls were whom I have seen in practice videos are at during the game. If anyone knows and could shed light I’d highly appreciate it.

Finally!!!! I hope we play Mizzou, looks like my also pick up a conference win too!!!!

And an absolute thumping of Jackson State for the ladies! First 2-0 start since 2015 and first time opening up the season with back to back sweeps since 2010! I know these are teams we expect to beat but I just can’t help but notice how much harder the girls are playing under the new regime. 

• Like 2

Great 4-0 start! The new additions at the pins are making a huge difference in the offense. You can also see the whole team has been working hard to speed the offense up with quicker and flatter sets from the middle of the court. Those good high passes give Jackie/Jordan plenty of time and multiple options to pick from. Back row is showing great effort to not let balls drop and make good high passes.

Coaching staff was smart to load the schedule with winnable matches to give this team confidence. Expect them to be 8-0 before a good test with Belmont and then conference play. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Shipes sets blocking record in five-set victory against Alabama

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/10/2/volleyball-shipes-set-blocking-record-in-five-set-victory-against-alabama.aspx

The victory was Auburn's first conference win of the season. It was Auburn's first victory in SEC play since sweeping Alabama in Tuscaloosa on Nov. 30, 2019. It was the Tigers' first home victory in conference play since knocking of Mississippi State, 3-2, on Nov. 21, 2018.

• Like 5

Won the second match vs Alabama :  https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/10/3/volleyball-tigers-sweep-tide-to-earn-second-straight-conference-win.aspx

I believe we should be competitive in next match vs Arkansas just based on our records.  Then next weekend we play Missouri and they are currently ranked at the bottom of the conference.  Would like to see some more conference victories to show the program is moving in the right direction.  No doubt, Rath, the Maryland transfer has had an impact.  I don't know much about the sport but I really enjoy watching the quick reactions and play of Rosenthall going after some of those digs.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, blakem said:

We’ve added a member to our 2022 class!

L/DS Zoe Slaughter from Honolulu Hawaii but she grew up in Pelham.

Saw some video on YouTube.  Lots of hustle and enthusiasm.  She won't be going home on weekends.  

Split two games with TA&M Thursday and Friday.  Both were closely contested 5 set games.  Auburn earned the victory Friday night.  

"The victory was the program's first win over the Aggies in College Station and snapped a 10-match losing skid to Texas A&M. It was just Auburn second victory in the series history and the first since 2013."

Looks like progress.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 6:52 PM, slot canyon said:

Future AU OH Akasha Anderson has taken her team to their first State final's tomorrow. She's already been named district and regional player of the year for Virginia. Fingers crossed for State PoY.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/11/16/herndon-volleyball-behind-mighty-akasha-anderson-beats-alexandria-city-class-6-semifinals/

6ZD4CEUWIZARRGQFQTKMJWFIRQ.jpg&w=691

• Like 1

The following shows stats from last game with Kentucky (ranked 1st in SEC).  I believe AU (#11 in conference) has improved and played with a lot of effort but the disparity is very obvious.  The influx of talent in next class provides hope for progress.  Unfortunately, our last game will be against  #2 ranked Mississippi State.  

Team Statistics

Team Statistics
Game Stats UK AUB
Kills 49 28
Errors 5 17
Attempts 87 89
Hitting % .506 .124
Points 60 29
Assists 46 27
Aces 4 0
Blocks 7

Played very well against highly ranked Mississippi State.  Lost in 3 sets but each decided by 2 points.  The game was played in Starkville.  Even though a loss, may have been one of our best efforts.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/11/26/volleyball-tigers-conclude-season-at-no-24-mississippi-state.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2gvmIo-MLwJGINd8qK9w-FYMDRIycSY7yX9HhT-YsmJTxmLo9bX7LMlgo

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Akasha Anderson

Volleyball, Herndon | No player was more instrumental to their team’s success than Anderson, who carried the Hornets to their first state playoff and state final appearance. The Auburn-bound senior finished the season with 670 kills and 377 digs. As a six-rotation player who could shift momentum from the front or back row, Anderson was described as a “Terminator” by multiple opposing coaches.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/14/fall-all-met-2021/

Post season accolades are rolling in. Anyone else tracking incoming class of 22?

• Like 1