Auburn Volleyball

Mikey

Auburn needs timeout

4-7 but Houston has 4 straight points.  They are in a groove. 

Edited by AUBwins

Houston advances.  Great season ladies.  2 nights of full 5 sets wore them out in the end. 

Final game was 8-15.  But we nearly beat both national seeds in our subregional. Basically a 13 seed. 

Man, for a team made up of 12 players, 7 of which are freshman, they did well. I can't wait to see what they do next year. Unfortunately, College Volleyball is a revolving door for players. I hope AU hangs on to the ones they have and build on them. You can tell the team dynamic is there. They're only a couple of years of experience and a couple of really good players away from something special. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Man, for a team made up of 12 players, 7 of which are freshman, they did well. I can't wait to see what they do next year. Unfortunately, College Volleyball is a revolving door for players. I hope AU hangs on to the ones they have and build on them. You can tell the team dynamic is there. They're only a couple of years of experience and a couple of really good players away from something special. 

Definitely hope Anderson here to stay.  We struggled when she was rotated to back line and she is so good at getting kills. Came away impressed. 

15 hours ago, Browning4AU said:

Crouch is the real deal!!

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Definitely hope Anderson here to stay.  We struggled when she was rotated to back line and she is so good at getting kills. Came away impressed. 

Yea, she's coming along as an all around player, but you could tell she didn't seem too comfortable in back row. Other teams picked up on it and kind of picked on her. 

• Like 1

Two SEC teams remain to play in the regionals.

Seven of Saturday’s 10 NCAA Tournament matches were sweeps.

There were no upsets, Penn State and Oregon won in four, and Houston is back in the round of 16 for the first time since 1994. And not surprisingly, all of the participants are the top-ranked remaining RPI teams. In other words, there are no surprise teams, statisically, in the final 16.

The next round of matches is Thursday. The four regional finals will be Saturday, all on ESPNU (all times Eastern):

At Louisville
Nebraska (26-5) vs. Oregon (25-5), 11 a.m., ESPNU
Louisville (28-2) vs. Baylor (25-6), 30 minutes after, ESPNU

At Texas
Ohio State (21-9) vs. Minnesota (22-8), noon, ESPN2
Texas (24-1) vs. Marquette (29-3), 30 minutes after, ESPN2

At Wisconsin
Florida (25-5) vs. Pittsburgh (29-3), 3:30 p.m., ESPNU
Wisconsin (27-3) vs. Penn State (26-7), 30 minutes after, ESPNU

At Stanford

Kentucky (22-7) vs. San Diego (29-1), 8 p.m., ESPNU
Houston (30-3) vs. Stanford (26-4), 30 minutes after, ESPNU

No SEC teams remain in the NCAA Tournament.  Pitt took down Florida 3-1 and San Diego defeated KY 3 - 0.

Auburn post season accolades: https://auburntigers.com/news/2022/12/6/volleyball-avca-names-crouch-region-coach-of-the-year-anderson-and-kemp-pick-up-honors.aspx

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmSBwNVtOBy/?igshid=YWJhMjlhZTc=
Merritt Beason from Florida is in the portal. Maybe she’ll give AU a look. She’s from Gardendale so she may want to be closer to home. I hate to recruit over our talented hitters on roster and coming in but Merritt is one of the best in the entire country.

Edited by blakem
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, blakem said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmSBwNVtOBy/?igshid=YWJhMjlhZTc=
Merritt Beason from Florida is in the portal. Maybe she’ll give AU a look. She’s from Gardendale so she may want to be closer to home. I hate to recruit over our talented hitters on roster and coming in but Merritt is one of the best in the entire country.

Notice Beason will be a junior next year and is a team captain for Florida.   There is also a Hoover, Alabama player on their roster........Gabriel Essix, a sophomore middle blocker.  You make a good point about hesitating to disturb the current roster.

• Like 1

It looks like Bella Bell Kentucky Middle Blocker could be transferring in.. She was followed by the official account (instagram) along with others a week ago. She’s being followed by mostly everybody. And on her instagram story tonight she commented under the AVCA post she said “On our way to doing big things. Better get ready for us 🤪

• Like 3

News on Vandy start up VB program from SB Nation:

In case you’ve all forgotten, Vanderbilt is bringing volleyball back in 2025. Today was a big step forward in starting off strong when the team hits the court in 32 months. We just hired Anders Nelson away from Kentucky after 11 very successful seasons there, including 7 seasons as associated head coach, a national championship in 2020, and 6 SEC championships. Maybe most important to note for someone building a program from scratch, he has helped Kentucky bring in a top 10 recruiting class 5 of the last 9 years. Kentucky reported he resigned his position today around the same time that Vanderbilt announced his hiring.

Given almost 3 years with no hands-on coaching to do, I think it’s fair to expect big things from the inaugural recruiting class. We’ll need momentum to compete in the new-look, 16-team SEC, and I think it’s great we’re making a hire like this from within the conference. We’ll need someone who understands the SEC and has time to prepare for the introduction of the cows and the boomers. Finally, while he did get his MBA from Kentucky, he is originally from Wisconsin and graduated from Ball State; I don’t think we need to worry about some massive underlying loyalty. With all that said, this is all-around an exciting hire, and I look forward to what Coach Nelson can do in Nashville. I especially look forward to the team’s first trip to Lexington.

That deep run with such a young team has gotten eyes on the program.  Girls coming in to be a part of that strong nucleus. Love it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...