Jump to content

Auburn Volleyball


Mikey
 Share

Recommended Posts





The new coach is doing a great job of upgrading our talent and from what I read this fall developing the talent he has. He has been a great hire. We have a great class coming in next year and this is one more piece.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched some of the D1 volleyball semi-finals and was impressed at the level of play compared to some of what I have seen watching AU games this year.  We have a lot of room to grow to approach getting into the playoffs.  I believe Florida and Tennessee made it into the quarter finals.  Championship game ended with Wisconsin winning their first championship against highly ranked Nebraska in 5 exciting sets: 25-23, 31-29, 25-23, 25-23 and 15-12.  The arena in Columbus< Ohio was packed with probably in excess of 15,000 fans. A 6'30" YouTube video gives you some of the flavor of the competition: 

  Some of those kills are so well placed.  Exciting to watch.  Hopeful coaching and new talent infusion will keep us going in the right direction.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I watched some of the D1 volleyball semi-finals and was impressed at the level of play compared to some of what I have seen watching AU games this year.  We have a lot of room to grow to approach getting into the playoffs.  I believe Florida and Tennessee made it into the quarter finals.  Championship game ended with Wisconsin winning their first championship against highly ranked Nebraska in 5 exciting sets: 25-23, 31-29, 25-23, 25-23 and 15-12.  The arena in Columbus< Ohio was packed with probably in excess of 15,000 fans. A 6'30" YouTube video gives you some of the flavor of the competition: 

  Some of those kills are so well placed.  Exciting to watch.  Hopeful coaching and new talent infusion will keep us going in the right direction.  

Same here. I watched both semi-finals and I am pretty impressed with College Volleyball in general. I am getting more interested. There is a recruiting service similar to rivals, 247 rating and ranking classes, etc, I might subscribe to it ($4/month) but I need to have a better sense of the direction of our program first. 

Edited by AUreo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AUreo said:

Same here. I watched both semi-finals and I am pretty impressed with College Volleyball in general. I am getting more interested. There is a recruiting service similar to rivals, 247 rating and ranking classes, etc, I might subscribe to it ($4/month) but I need to have a better sense of the direction of our program first. 

Don't know if you are aware but there are articles about the current AU signed class on the AU volleyball site.  The article from 11/10 details the 5 fall signees and a 12/17 article talks about a transfer from Portland.  We were 5-17 in the conference this year after 0-8 in the shortened prior season and 1-17 in 2019.  You may have seen this article about last years classes: https://volleyballmag.com/vbm-ncaa-recruiting-classes-072221/

Like many sports, the traditional powerhouses are going to attract the bulk of the top-ranked players.

At this point I would not expect to see AU on any top 20 list in volleyball recruiting as we do not have a history of being a premier program.  Hopefully Coach Crouch can alter that perception and AU fans will support the sport.  If we improve our record year to year and create some excitement about the program, then I believe recruits will take notice.  Will admit that I have not attended a game in person since it is difficult for me to justify what amounts to a 5 hour round trip drive.  Admission is free so that is a plus.  I would like to see them hold a fall softball event during the day and a VB game that night and "make a day of it".  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw where Tatum Shipes was in the transfer portal. I know she completed her 4 years but if she wanted to continue playing, I don’t know why we didn’t let her stay. Also Audrey Douglas is in the portal which isn’t surprising due to her lack of playing time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, blakem said:

Just saw where Tatum Shipes was in the transfer portal. I know she completed her 4 years but if she wanted to continue playing, I don’t know why we didn’t let her stay. Also Audrey Douglas is in the portal which isn’t surprising due to her lack of playing time.

Where is this transfer portal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SpuffyFamous said:

Where is this transfer portal?

There is an ncaa volleyball transfer portal Instagram. Tatum also commented on the post which acknowledges its truth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, slot canyon said:

Don't know if you are aware but there are articles about the current AU signed class on the AU volleyball site.  The article from 11/10 details the 5 fall signees and a 12/17 article talks about a transfer from Portland.  We were 5-17 in the conference this year after 0-8 in the shortened prior season and 1-17 in 2019.  You may have seen this article about last years classes: https://volleyballmag.com/vbm-ncaa-recruiting-classes-072221/

Like many sports, the traditional powerhouses are going to attract the bulk of the top-ranked players.

At this point I would not expect to see AU on any top 20 list in volleyball recruiting as we do not have a history of being a premier program.  Hopefully Coach Crouch can alter that perception and AU fans will support the sport.  If we improve our record year to year and create some excitement about the program, then I believe recruits will take notice.  Will admit that I have not attended a game in person since it is difficult for me to justify what amounts to a 5 hour round trip drive.  Admission is free so that is a plus.  I would like to see them hold a fall softball event during the day and a VB game that night and "make a day of it".  

I think AU has a top 20-25 class coming in this fall and it will make a huge difference. The pieces will be in place to make a serious run at the NCAA tournament within 2-3 years. The attraction to Auburn right now is the coaching staff and being part of something that hasn’t been done before. Going to the traditional powerhouses is actually a turn off for many players because they want to go somewhere and play right away. They don’t want to ride the bench for two years or worse have to constantly play in fear of losing their spot on the team.

PrepDig is one of several volleyball publications and their top 2022 players included many of our incoming class. #30 Isabel Zimmerman (3rd ranked RS hitter in the country), #84 Kendal Kemp (16th ranked MH in the country), #99 Sarah Morton (13th ranked DS/L in the country), #107 Madison Scheer (top 40 OH in the country). Akasha Anderson was also named Virginia’s Gatorade player of the year. Every incoming player is exceptional and this team is already a tight knit group with goals of making the tournament.

I believe women's volleyball is one of the most exciting sports to watch and I hope that when this team starts rolling the fans start packing Auburn arena to support the hard work they put in. The raucous crowds at those final games on TV in the tournament last Fall are what it’s like every game in many of the BIG 10 schools. Kentucky and Florida are the closest to that in the SEC. I hope Auburn can be the next!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Today Auburn received 3 2024 commitments: 

Kalei Edson 5’10 RS/S

Lauren Dreves 6’1 OH

Emma Moore 6’3 MB

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, blakem said:

Today Auburn received 3 2024 commitments: 

Kalei Edson 5’10 RS/S

Lauren Dreves 6’1 OH

Emma Moore 6’3 MB

Add these onto the 2 2023 commits that I know of:

Lakin Laurendine 6’2 OH

Jasmine Okeoma 6’2 MB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blakem said:

Add these onto the 2 2023 commits that I know of:

Lakin Laurendine 6’2 OH

Jasmine Okeoma 6’2 MB

Nice, finally getting some height. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Nice, finally getting some height. 

I still worry because while we are getting height, we don’t have the elite height like the other teams have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, blakem said:

I still worry because while we are getting height, we don’t have the elite height like the other teams have.

He is building the program from a team that couldn't win an SEC games to a team that can now win some and each years the players he brings in are a little better then the year before. It is a process but as we win more it gets easier to recruit better players.

I am pleased with the improvement I have seen and I expect in a couple more years we will be a team nobody wants to play. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He is building the program from a team that couldn't win an SEC games to a team that can now win some and each years the players he brings in are a little better then the year before. It is a process but as we win more it gets easier to recruit better players.

I am pleased with the improvement I have seen and I expect in a couple more years we will be a team nobody wants to play. 

Same 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2022 at 5:23 AM, VolleyMike said:

I believe women's volleyball is one of the most exciting sports to watch and I hope that when this team starts rolling the fans start packing Auburn arena to support the hard work they put in. The raucous crowds at those final games on TV in the tournament last Fall are what it’s like every game in many of the BIG 10 schools. Kentucky and Florida are the closest to that in the SEC. I hope Auburn can be the next!

I am new to college volleyball and watched some B10 games last season. It's very entertaining.

Where does AU recruiting currently rank in the SEC?

Do you know any publications that offer free recruiting info (rankings, commitments etc)?

This is the only free source I could find but its limited:

https://volleymob.com/news/college/college-recruiting/

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From her twitter page (2024 commit):

I am SO incredibly excited to announce my verbal commitment to continue my academic and athletic career at Auburn University. I would like to thank my coaches, family, and friends that have helped me get to where I am today. Go tigers!🐅 💙🧡#WarEagle
Some Video:
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Can you summarize says need to subscribe thanks

Oh no. I’m sorry I didn’t include before but I was trying to see if anyone had a subscription to see it. I do not and would also like to know.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took a look at our pre-conference schedule and saw AU plays on September 9,10 and 11 in UAB Tournament.  Opponents will be UAB Troy and North Florida.  Also play in Atlanta August 26 and 27 in Georgia State Tournament.  For folks living in these areas seems like good opportunity to see/support the team.  I plan to attend at least some of the games in Birmingham.  Will be my first time to attend an AU volleyball game.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AU volleyball plays Alabama State tonight in Auburn. at 7 PM with SEC+ TV.  Auburn has 13 roster players while Alsbama State list 24.  Not sure what that is about?   AU has 7 true freshmen.  Brief look at some stats after 3 games (3-0).  Kill leaders show Rebekah Rath, a senior, with 39 followed by 3 freshmen Bel Zimmerman with 17 and Kendal Kemp with 14 and Madison Sheer with 15.  On the defensive side of things, Two freshmen have the most "digs"; Sarah Morton with 38 and Zoe Slaughter with 29.  I find some of the digs to be one of the more impressive aspects of the game.  For folks in B'ham, be aware we have 3 games at Bartow arena Sept 9, 10 and 11.  I believe there is something like $5 admission.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Play Alabama A&M tonight @7 in Auburn on SEC+.  A&M does not have a player 6ft+ and has not won any games this year.  A lot of freshmen have made major contributions for AU in games so far this season. Rath has continued to lead the team in her senior season.  For folks in B'ham area, we play at Bartow Arena September 9, 10, and 11.   

https://auburntigers.com/news/2022/9/5/auburn-volleyball-looks-to-keep-unbeaten-record-intact-with-alabama-am-in-town.aspx

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...