Joey Gatewood usage

WFE12

Like I said in the game thread I think Gus was scared to put Joey in on the road even though it made all the sense to do it. How many times did we fail on 3rd down? And to not use the 6'5 250 guy?..It paid off in the Oregon game to leave Bo in so he's so stuck on being different and keeping him in it made us look worse. I mean you're not redshirting him...Why is he riding the pine ALL game?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said in another post, apparently Gus wanted to leave Nix floundering out there so that all of his confidence would be gone. He did Bo no favors by leaving him in the game.

Joey Gatewood is not the second coming of Cam Newton. We will win a bunch of games and probably championships with Nix. Some have it. Some don’t.  Nix has it. He is a freshman and played like it today. Get ready for next week. 

2 minutes ago, jptiger said:

Joey Gatewood is not the second coming of Cam Newton. We will win a bunch of games and probably championships with Nix. Some have it. Some don’t.  Nix has it. He is a freshman and played like it today. Get ready for next week. 

Has nothing to do with whether Nix should be pulled when its deserved. I dont care what caliber of QB he is.

2 minutes ago, jptiger said:

Very excited about next week.  Gus is undefeated against Bye.  The O-line should look fantastic playing Madden, eating steaks and watching real O-lines playing on TV.  :beer2:

3 minutes ago, jptiger said:

Joey Gatewood is not the second coming of Cam Newton. We will win a bunch of games and probably championships with Nix. Some have it. Some don’t.  Nix has it. He is a freshman and played like it today. Get ready for next week. 

delusional

3 minutes ago, jptiger said:

No one is implying that he is. All I'm saying is to at least use him for short yardage situations.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Very excited about next week.  Gus is undefeated against Bye.  The O-line should look fantastic playing Madden, eating steaks and watching real O-lines playing on TV.  :beer2:

Next game. Better? 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

You probably correct everyone's spelling on Twitter too. Everybody loves that guy. 

1 minute ago, jptiger said:

Next game. Better? 

Just trying some levity.  Hard to come by after games like this.

Just now, jptiger said:

You probably correct everyone's spelling on Twitter too. Everybody loves that guy. 

I was just joking.  But not everyone has a sense of humor.

Until Gus plays him in significant situations we will always wonder about Joey and people will continue to have the same argument. I’m not sure if today was the day to do it just because he would have been put in an impossible situation with a high chance of failure and that wouldn’t have helped his confidence at all. Of course today didn’t help Bo’s either. At the end of the day the main problem Auburn has is the same problem AU has had for years now. It’s all about the play calling.

11 minutes ago, jptiger said:

well we aint losing next week. so we got that going for us!!

10 minutes ago, jptiger said:

No one said he was but how many 3rd and ones would have went different having to key on him also instead of just BooBee

It's a dilemma. Bo Nix is a true freshman, so that can be invoked as a shield whenever he has a game like today. It calls into question: as a true freshman, is there a limit to his performance to where he could possibly be benched?

6 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Until Gus plays him in significant situations we will always wonder about Joey and people will continue to have the same argument. I’m not sure if today was the day to do it just because he would have been put in an impossible situation with a high chance of failure and that wouldn’t have helped his confidence at all. Of course today didn’t help Bo’s either. At the end of the day the main problem Auburn has is the same problem AU has had for years now. It’s all about the play calling.

Not if he came in for short yardage situations. Barely takes anything for him. Should be a no-brainer situation.

18 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Not if he came in for short yardage situations. Barely takes anything for him. Should be a no-brainer situation.

kinda playing the ole everyone knows what hes running card  isnt it? 

20 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I agree on those. I’m referring to people who wanted Nix benched in place of Joey. If we’re talking halftime then sure but when they were calling for it late I just didn’t see that as fair to Joey. 

That's why you put Joey in early in the game every game.  That way he is already acclimated and it does not look like your yanking Nix from game.  He needs a set of downs at a time to see what he can do.  Maybe he was pumped up ready for this game, but alas you never know if you don't give him a shot. 

24 minutes ago, WarEagleChemE said:

It's a dilemma. Bo Nix is a true freshman, so that can be invoked as a shield whenever he has a game like today. It calls into question: as a true freshman, is there a limit to his performance to where he could possibly be benched?

To me if Bo had done as bad in the first half as he did in the second then you bench him for Joey at the half. 

35 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

And  @AUBwins tells me, there's a BYE Lookalike thread. I don't have the courage to go all out...or is it all-in?  🤣😢

Nix should have been benched because he deserved to be benched.  He was not making the throws or the correct reads.   Joey Gatewood is not a bad option just as a change of pace, he deserved, as a member of the team, the chance to right the ship.  No one player should ever have that long a hook when they are not  performing  no matter  whether he is a freshman or senior when there is another option.    It was Gus's job to put the team in the best situation to win, not to baby Nix through a meltdown that lasted 4 quarters.   

35 minutes ago, jptiger said:

Honestly, "next week" threw me, too. Thanks for clarifying. 

Archived