The Blame

AUght2win

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

This year hasn't Gus let Grimes go out and get his guys?  I thought that was one of the things Gus let go of.

Once with Cohen. Dilly has the OL recruiting duties.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

As it is imperative that the lines be top notch in this conference, one would think Gus would use others to bring in the best.

One would think.

But Gus isn't interested in any opinions or ideas that didn't come out of his own head. Look at his staff. The only guy with any big time experience (other than under Gus) coaches our least important/used position on offense.

Every once in awhile he'll let something filter in and then repackage it as his idea. Some close observers have opined that we implemented some Chip Lindsey concepts... this year. 

Caddy supposedly got Gus to buy into rotating his RBs. Well, Boobee has 110 carries to KMart's 34, who didn't get a single carry against TAMU. Worm is next with 27, and he didn't get a single carry against UF. And now Boobee is hurt- shocker- and we're leaning on a true freshman who has only gotten carries in 1 previous game. But hey, forward-thinking, open-minded Gus waited til the 2nd half of TAMU to give Boobee all the carries and was happy to let the other guys get garbage work against MSU!

55 minutes ago, Tiger said:

@McLoofus @ellitor

A spot or 3 above or below us would put them in the same ballpark as us talent wise. 

My overall point was that when Gus goes up against teams with the same caliber of athletes, overwhelmingly more times than not he looks outclassed. I think it's fair to say Florida belongs in this group

Regardless of rankings or other opinions my eyes tell me we are the more raw talented team than Florida. As awful as we played & still only down 20-17 in the 3rd quarter is evidence of that IMO. On a neutral field an AU team that plays average ball beats Florida by 2 or 3 TDs.

Just now, ellitor said:

Regardless of rankings or other opinions my eyes tell me we are the more raw talented team than Florida. As awful as we played & still only down 20-17 in the 3rd question is evidence of that IMO. On a neutral field an AU team that plays average ball beats Florida by 2 or 3 TDs.

Heck, in Gainesville, an AU team that plays average Offense beats Florida by 2-3 TDs.  :beer2:

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Is it b/c He is b/c he didn't agree with what Hand was wanting to bring in on the line?

Not related to Hand at all. Gus did it to Grimes when he was here the 1st time too.

20 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Grimes...not a good evaluator of OL talent?

Hard to know. Cohen is the 1st one I've heard of his entire AU career where he had a chance to eval & pick someone.

21 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Gus just being controlling Gus as to what he wants w/ his offensive personnel, even the OL?

and think he knows all on it.

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Heck, in Gainesville, an AU team that plays average Offense beats Florida by 2-3 TDs.  :beer2:

Yeah. Given the game script for that particular game after the fact, we definitely win that game real comfy like with an average offensive performance.

But I'm not sure we could count on our defense to do that again, or for UF to make all the mistakes they did again, etc. Like, we keep saying that if we would have done this or that... in a game where UF coughed up 4 turnovers. We had our own, but only one on our own half of the field IIRC. 3 of theirs gave us the ball on their end. And we survived a play that could have easily seen our best LB ejected. There was another play where the officials were kind but I don't remember which one. 

Anyway. We aren't significantly more talented than UF IMO, if at all. But yeah, we should have won that game given how it played out. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

There are some that do but not everyone says the current starters are bad. Kim is bad. The others are decent. The center being bad is going to effect the whole OL negatively. As for the back ups, most are young & need to develop. Some definitely have more raw talent than guys in front of them though which could be good for the future.

That's encouraging because I think our skill players are going to be very good for the next few years.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

And Oregon in week one. Made some really good second-half adjustments.

18 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Texas A&M game three weeks ago

maybe we are splitting hairs, but I credit the win over Oregon to late game heroics of the players vs "just good coaching".   My opinion. 

As for TAMU - I think we lined up better players on both sides.  We had a decided advantage IMO.  

I could credit the coaching to the Oregon win, but when you have better talent on both sides (MSU, TAMU), I give most of the credit that day to the advantage of better talent.   

disclaimer:   I am not wanting a debate on the likes of:   "but the HC gets the credit for recruiting and all things Auburn, good or bad".   I am just claiming Gus doesn't outcoach teams that have equal or better talent very often.  

Now - looking ahead, I sincerely hope Gus outcoaches Orgeron, Smart and Saban.  I think we have a good chance in two of those games, I really do (based on talent).   Sure wish Gus had solved the lack of RB depth from 2017 SECCG....oh well. 

55 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Sure wish Gus had solved the lack of RB depth from 2017 SECCG....oh well. 

Agree with all of your post, but isolating this.

This is another manner in which you can distill Gus's entire mindset down into one singular issue. Instead of thinking, "Hey, I've only got one healthy RB that can do what I prefer to do, I'd better diversify"... he thinks, "Hey, I've only got one healthy RB than can do what I prefer to do, I'd better just keep running him three times more than any other RB and hope he stays healthy". Like, that was the issue in 2017 and that's the issue now. 

Congrats in advance to true freshman DJ Williams on his 20 carries a game going forward. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

and we're leaning on a true freshman who has only gotten carries in 1 previous game

This is a pretty presumptuous statement. I think most of us fans see DJ as being the best option based on very limited PT. I think we will see alot of Kam and I predict Malik Miller gets more carries. I think Gus will use DJ some and his role increase, but history as shown Gus has major trust issues with Freshman RBs (exception Dyer). I see us running Kam into the line multiple times until we bang our head against the wall.

I hope to see a plethora of guys from Kam, Worm, Harold, DJ, and Malik all getting reps but I just don't see it happening. Hope I am wrong.

8 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

This is a pretty presumptuous statement. I think most of us fans see DJ as being the best option based on very limited PT. I think we will see alot of Kam and I predict Malik Miller gets more carries. I think Gus will use DJ some and his role increase, but history as shown Gus has major trust issues with Freshman RBs (exception Dyer). I see us running Kam into the line multiple times until we bang our head against the wall.

I hope to see a plethora of guys from Kam, Worm, Harold, DJ, and Malik all getting reps but I just don't see it happening. Hope I am wrong.

DJ had more carries in the MSU game than Worm and Malik- combined- had in the MSU and UF games- combined. He is the guy.

KMart will continue to be the guy to spell RB1 but nothing could possibly be clearer than the fact that Gus is never going to depend on him to get meaningful carries in meaningful games.

Sure, anyone might load up on touches against Arkansas, but when we play opponents with a pulse, DJ is the guy. 

The only wildcard is Joiner. Gus might be infatuated with Joiner's size and try to force feed him. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

FTR Florida doesn't recruit on par with us. They are recruiting a bit worse than us & that could be Mullen's downfall at some point because there is no excuse for Florida not bringing in top 5 classes every year given the HS talent in that state.

Here's an example he lost almost 30% of his 2019 recruiting class

2 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

I can't imagine any other offensive coaching staff in college football, failing to put their best receivers on the field at the same time on most every possession.

Well, Mr. Fancypants- you from New York 'r somethin'?- let me tell you how we do things 'round here...

It also jumps out at me that Gus is 7 years into his head coaching gig here and 14 years into CFB...

...and he's still figuring out how to give his best playmakers the ball...

...as a guy who refuses to let anyone who he doesn't consider one of his best playmakers touch the ball. 

Seems like he’s trying to “fit round peg into square hole” with personnel again. If Schwartz and Williams are your two best receivers and defenses will regularly scheme to try and take them out of the game, it makes sense to have them on the field at the same time. If he’s not doing that simply because “Schwartz is an X receiver same as Williams so they can’t be on the field at the same time” then he clearly has issues with letting go of his preconceived notions about his offense. I can understand not putting two QBs on the field for 50% of the plays, or possibly even RBs, but WRs? This is frustrating beyond measure. Think outside your Waffle House obsession box and mix up the personnel! 

4 minutes ago, lca408 said:

If he’s not doing that simply because “Schwartz is an X receiver same as Williams so they can’t be on the field at the same time” then he clearly has issues with letting go of his preconceived notions about his offense.

No "if" needed, I'm afraid. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

DJ had more carries in the MSU game than Worm and Malik- combined- had in the MSU and UF games- combined. He is the guy.

KMart will continue to be the guy to spell RB1 but nothing could possibly be clearer than the fact that Gus is never going to depend on him to get meaningful carries in meaningful games.

Sure, anyone might load up on touches against Arkansas, but when we play opponents with a pulse, DJ is the guy. 

The only wildcard is Joiner. Gus might be infatuated with Joiner's size and try to force feed him. 

Well, I agree about that but we also had a massive lead on MSU. Believe me, I want to see a lot of DJ, I just worry about Gus and his trust issues.

As for Joiner, I don't have an issue with giving him adequate touches. I think Joiner could be deadly. I like the thought of DJ/Joiner as 1A 1B and then Kam and Worm as change of pace guys. 

sometimes it is not what you gus haters say but how you say it. is it that hard to speak facts and not be petty about it?

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

sometimes it is not what you gus haters say but how you say it. is it that hard to speak facts and not be petty about it?

Maybe it's the other side?

Just now, cole256 said:

Maybe it's the other side?

i never said the pumps were perfect. that being said i have seen several insults to pumps tonight on different threads.we are all guilty but the haters tend to make it personal with trashy comments.........

Just now, aubiefifty said:

i never said the pumps were perfect. that being said i have seen several insults to pumps tonight on different threads.we are all guilty but the haters tend to make it personal with trashy comments.........

I have to admit I haven't really been looking. I feel I'm more objective (since I offered criticism to Bo I was called a basher) but I don't think anybody has called me a Gus hater......but I must say if there's bad comments from my experience it's not that side it's the super supporter side. But that's just my personal experience.

33 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Most are in the middle or seek to try to be. But aubiefifty, some pumps have cornered the market on shaming and condescension. Snide remarks slip into innocuous threads and derail genuine concern and analysis. No one questions the "fandom" of a "pumper." Aren't we better than the stereotypes we throw out there, even "hater" vs. "pumper"? Half expect the Socs and the Greasers to come rolling out from behind a haybale. Junior high is not fun for anyone...nevertheless I believe in AUBURN and love it. 

20 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Most are in the middle or seek to try to be. But aubiefifty, some pumps have cornered the market on shaming and condescension. Snide remarks slip into innocuous threads and derail genuine concern and analysis. No one questions the "fandom" of a "realist." Aren't we better than the stereotypes we throw out there, even "hater" vs. "pumper"? Half expect the Socs and the Greasers to come rolling out from behind a haybale. Junior high is not fun for anyone...nevertheless I believe in AUBURN and love it. 

Outta Likes but great stuff Tora!

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have to admit I haven't really been looking. I feel I'm more objective (since I offered criticism to Bo I was called a basher) but I don't think anybody has called me a Gus hater......but I must say if there's bad comments from my experience it's not that side it's the super supporter side. But that's just my personal experience.

to be honest i was not thinking of you cole. many on here can state their displeasure with class and there are several on here like that. so again it is often not what was said but how it was said. i am not pleased with all things gus but i choose to be loyal. i have no power to hire nor fire him and i am pretty sure no one else on here can. but why trash a good man? he is a good christian man that loves the kids on his team. he runs a clean program and we are seldom ever embarrassed by any team members. his players love him. for that matter the kids that sign with him know his win loss record and yet they still sign to plat for auburn. i will pull for gus until he fails and is removed.then i will be just as loyal to the next guy up. but i want more than just wins. i want someone who will teach these young men how to be men of character that bring something good to a troubled world. many would love to see a thug coach hired if it meant winning. that is just not me.

This whole thing gets ridiculous...

First, it should tell you all you need to know about Gus that he creates this kind of division.

Second, and I cannot say this enough, its a message board...its made for banter, discussion, back and forth and yes even arguments.  Sure, it could be more respectful sometimes but for the love of goodness at the end of the day does it really matter if someone offends you or is snarky on a message board? This site has an ignore function which I have used liberally. If you don’t like someone’s post then simply ignore them. I’m quite sure several have me on ignore and it doesn’t bother me not one iota.

Some on here act like this is a damn tea party where everyone has to bow before entering and hold their pinky up while sipping from the good china. Now we got folks making posts about being respectful smh...I certainly hope he’s speaking to both sides of this argument because I haven’t seen any more jackass posts from anyone as much as Mikey and AU-64 among others. They want to belittle and make fun of those who like winning football games and coherent offense.  And you know what’s amazing? When I leave this board, I don’t think about any of the snark or smartass comments not one single time. Because I understand its a message board where folks come to hash these things out. 

Bunch of self righteous virtue signaling fakes on here. Good grief. 

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

to be honest i was not thinking of you cole. many on here can state their displeasure with class and there are several on here like that. so again it is often not what was said but how it was said. i am not pleased with all things gus but i choose to be loyal. i have no power to hire nor fire him and i am pretty sure no one else on here can. but why trash a good man? he is a good christian man that loves the kids on his team. he runs a clean program and we are seldom ever embarrassed by any team members. his players love him. for that matter the kids that sign with him know his win loss record and yet they still sign to plat for auburn. i will pull for gus until he fails and is removed.then i will be just as loyal to the next guy up. but i want more than just wins. i want someone who will teach these young men how to be men of character that bring something good to a troubled world. many would love to see a thug coach hired if it meant winning. that is just not me.

Yes I didn't think you were speaking to me about Gus as that's not what people get upset with me about ...I was offering you a different perspective as far as you grouping the "haters" because relating it to myself maybe they aren't hating just speaking their truth or maybe you just don't see the full convo because the opposite side can be quite ugly when you don't agree as well

Archived