The Blame

AUght2win

18 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Yep...our fanbase now considers a natty appearance from 6 years ago and a “couple” of wins against our rivals as a successful coaching career at Auburn...this is what’s frustrating to me. When did we just decide to wave the white flag and settle for 6-16 against our three biggest rivals? Take away two of the biggest (luckiest?) plays in history and all you have is the last two games of 2017...which were quickly erased in the uga rematch and rendered virtually meaningless. 

I think everyone realizes that while Saban is having his one in lifetime dynasty at Bama and UGA is looking to doing the same thing, we had better have someone who can do better. Nobody is doing what Saban is and Dabo is the only coach who is close. Kirby and Riley look like good ones too. Who would you go out there and get? 2 weeks ago I would have said Heupel, but I’m not so sure these days. At least we can say that we have a coach who has put a couple of SEC championship attending teams on the field. No one else can say that in this conference, except Georgia and they have been the only good team in the east. I’m not saying Gus is a great coach, but if we get rid of him one of three things will happen in order of most likely. 1. We get a dud like Moorehead, Morris, Muschamp, Belema, etc. 2. We get someone who performs about like Gus (Harbaugh) 3. We strike gold and get a coach who, for the most part, can go toe to toe with literally the best coach/recruiter in college football history. 

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think everyone realizes that while Saban is having his one in lifetime dynasty at Bama and UGA is looking to doing the same thing, we had better have someone who can do better. Nobody is doing what Saban is and Dabo is the only coach who is close. Kirby and Riley look like good ones too. Who would you go out there and get? 2 weeks ago I would have said Heupel, but I’m not so sure these days. At least we can say that we have a coach who has put a couple of SEC championship attending teams on the field. No one else can say that in this conference, except Georgia and they have been the only good team in the east. I’m not saying Gus is a great coach, but if we get rid of him one of three things will happen in order of most likely. 1. We get a dud like Moorehead, Morris, Muschamp, Belema, etc. 2. We get someone who performs about like Gus (Harbaugh) 3. We strike gold and get a coach who, for the most part, can go toe to toe with literally the best coach/recruiter in college football history

Let's Make a Deal time. I'll take door number 3 please. 

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think everyone realizes that while Saban is having his one in lifetime dynasty at Bama and UGA is looking to doing the same thing, we had better have someone who can do better. Nobody is doing what Saban is and Dabo is the only coach who is close. Kirby and Riley look like good ones too. Who would you go out there and get? 2 weeks ago I would have said Heupel, but I’m not so sure these days. At least we can say that we have a coach who has put a couple of SEC championship attending teams on the field. No one else can say that in this conference, except Georgia and they have been the only good team in the east. I’m not saying Gus is a great coach, but if we get rid of him one of three things will happen in order of most likely. 1. We get a dud like Moorehead, Morris, Muschamp, Belema, etc. 2. We get someone who performs about like Gus (Harbaugh) 3. We strike gold and get a coach who, for the most part, can go toe to toe with literally the best coach/recruiter in college football history. 

Yeah yeah. I’ve heard it for 5 years now. Saban can’t be beat. We can’t do any better. Blah blah blah. Its just like when Coach Dye went to mid-field the first time and said to Bear...”Coach, we know we cannot beat ya so we’re just gonna wait you out”....oh wait, thats not what he said though is it? He said “ Coach, we aint scared of you no more and we’re gonna get after your ass”...thats the Auburn spirit...unafraid...not “ well shucks yall who could we get thats any better, we should just be happy beatin Ole Miss and Arky every year...

Enough is enough.

58 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Honestly Auburn gets smoked in Red Stick to extend the streak with bad losses to UGA and bama....

If I weren't so old I would wish that you get your wish, we fire Gus and Auburn would get what UT has had since they got rid of Fulmer.

I get it, it sucks that Bama is on one of the (the?) greatest runs in the history of the game.  I get that UGA looks to be good as well.

Here is the deal.  If the ball bounces differently on a few different plays we beat UF, EVEN IF THE GAME called EXACTLY the same way.   Here are two plays off the top of my head.  1. Nix doesn't overthrow Seth by 1 yard, +7 points.  2. Brown doesn't trip over his own feet, +7 points.  

Why do the majority of people on this site act like entitled, insufferable children?

2 minutes ago, screwtape said:

Why do the majority of people on this site act like entitled, insufferable children?

It's a message board.  That's what we message board warriors are famous for.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

It's a message board.  That's what we message board warriors are famous for.

Also, because I have the first amendment and whiskey.

So just got back from Gainesville.  Blame today is totally on Gus from my vantage point.  The defense kept giving us the ball and chances.  His play calling and inability to adjust hurt us.

Key things I saw:

- Florida made a concerted effort to take Schwartz out of the game.  CB played 10 yards off of him the entire game and had safety help over the top.  Gus never adjusted to the this when he should have seen it and then run a receiver underneath as the defense was bailing to protect against Schwartz's speed.

- The running game was alive and well in the 2nd half.  I don't understand why we would pick up good yardage on first down and then insist on throwing.  UF's d line was getting visibly tired.  I'm convinced we could have just grinded them down in the 4th quarter while it was still 17-13.

- 3rd and short.  No wildcat at any point.  No Gatewood.  Just dumb.

- Bo made some awful throws today, especially the one to Seth that would have been a TD on the in cut route in the 3rd if he just puts it on his numbers.  He looked off all game.  He also really needs to stop keying in on Seth so much.  I love #18, but the ball has got to spread around more to get defenses to back off some.

- Outside of a couple plays, the defense played great.  Four fumble recoveries should result in more points and a win.  Derrick Brown made himself a lot of money today though.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So just got back from Gainesville.  Blame today is totally on Gus from my vantage point.  The defense kept giving us the ball and chances.  His play calling and inability to adjust hurt us.

Key things I saw:

- Florida made a concerted effort to take Schwartz out of the game.  CB played 10 yards off of him the entire game and had safety help over the top.  Gus never adjusted to the this when he should have seen it and then run a receiver underneath as the defense was bailing to protect against Schwartz's speed.

- The running game was alive and well in the 2nd half.  I don't understand why we would pick up good yardage on first down and then insist on throwing.  UF's d line was getting visibly tired.  I'm convinced we could have just grinded them down in the 4th quarter while it was still 17-13.

- Bo made some awful throws today, especially the one to Seth that would have been a TD on the in cut route in the 3rd if he just puts it on his numbers.  He looked off all game.  He also really needs to stop keying in on Seth so much.  I love #18, but the ball has got to spread around more to get defenses to back off some.

- Outside of a couple plays, the defense played great.  Four fumble recoveries should result in more points and a win.  Derrick Brown made himself a lot of money today though.

Now now...we can’t have folks runnin round here blamin the head coach for losin...

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Now now...we can’t have folks runnin round here blamin the head coach for losin...

if we can't blame the head coach, can we lay the blame on the offensive coordinator?

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Great point. Didn't even consider that when thinking of all our short yardage situations. Joey would have been fantastic there. 

Gus must have a very warped view of his players' abilities. Like he must think Joey's capabilities are so limited, but a guy like Canella (not knocking him, but c'mon he isn't top tier) plays nearly every snap. I just don't get it. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

It's shorthand. "Win out" for Auburn fans means "Win the Outback Bowl".

So we lose to LSU, GA and UA  again but absolutely hammer some mid tier team from out west or up north and all is forgiven.

I just got home from the game. If last week was the annual "Total bloodletting of a not awful SEC team" then this week was the annual "What in the ever loving frick are you doing???" game. You're not going to have your best every week, and I get it. But jeez what in the hell were we doing out there? How did Gatewood never see the field? Joiner? Schwartz (1 touch!)? Stove? Bo was pretty clearly shook in the second and third quarters, why not let Joey have a series and let Bo calm down? Why weren't more RPOs called? Screens? QB draws? We called two draw plays, both worked, and we never did it again. 

I'm trying to keep expectations in check for Bo, and it's not lost on me that we took a true freshman quarterback to the Swamp but he made several game losing decisions today. He ignored wide open receivers for touchdowns more than once. I think it was his first INT he had Eli Stove wide open for a score but he zeroed in on his first read (Williams I guess?) The INT in the endzone absolutely can't happen. He MUST be aware of the game situation and protect points if the play isn't there. Two FGs could have won us the game. He should have thrown it through the goalposts when he saw everyone was covered. The play where he ran backward 20 yards and got sacked abaolutely can't happen. We were at the edge of field goal range and that ruined any chance we had. If he doesn't throw and INT on the previous possession it's a 1 pt game. Maybe we get lucky and Carlson drills one. 

If you're the staff why are you allowing this to happen during a close game? You gotta calm this kid down when he's clearly rattled and not thinking straight. Bo is a true freshman and he's gonna do stupid stuff sometimes, I get it. When it happens again and again in the same game and the mistakes compound themselves and create a loss, that's on the coaches. 

3 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Are we talking blooming onion or all you can eat coconut shrimp? There's levels to our mediocrity 

Gus is going to order a blooming onion, but check out of it to the shrimp. Waiter tries to bring it too early. False start. Finally, the food's ready but it's intercepted by another table. *Gus picks nose in frustration*

8 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I just got home from the game. If last week was the annual "Total bloodletting of a not awful SEC team" then this week was the annual "What in the ever loving frick are you doing???" game. You're not going to have your best every week, and I get it. But jeez what in the hell were we doing out there? How did Gatewood never see the field? Joiner? Schwartz (1 touch!)? Stove? Bo was pretty clearly shook in the second and third quarters, why not let Joey have a series and let Bo calm down? Why weren't more RPOs called? Screens? QB draws? We called two draw plays, both worked, and we never did it again. 

I'm trying to keep expectations in check for Bo, and it's not lost on me that we took a true freshman quarterback to the Swamp but he made several game losing decisions today. He ignored wide open receivers for touchdowns more than once. I think it was his first INT he had Eli Stove wide open for a score but he zeroed in on his first read (Williams I guess?) The INT in the endzone absolutely can't happen. He MUST be aware of the game situation and protect points if the play isn't there. Two FGs could have won us the game. He should have thrown it through the goalposts when he saw everyone was covered. The play where he ran backward 20 yards and got sacked abaolutely can't happen. We were at the edge of field goal range and that ruined any chance we had. If he doesn't throw and INT on the previous possession it's a 1 pt game. Maybe we get lucky and Carlson drills one. 

If you're the staff why are you allowing this to happen during a close game? You gotta calm this kid down when he's clearly rattled and not thinking straight. Bo is a true freshman and he's gonna do stupid stuff sometimes, I get it. When it happens again and again in the same game and the mistakes compound themselves and create a loss, that's on the coaches. 

What really, really scares me is I don't know if it's nerves. I hope that's the case, but I'm scared it's his vision. He definitely didn't see the safeties waiting in zone coverage on the first two picks. I also notice he usually reads one receiver then bails. He is young so they may not be asking much in terms of making progressions or read the defense. But dang, dude. I wasn't expecting read/vision kind of mistakes from Bo. He will learn. I just hope the vision thing is something he can grow out of. 

Just now, CAReeves2010 said:

Bus boy loses Kristy on the back side dineNdash route for the win. Atleast some of us can find comedy in our misery lol. WDE

There was a lot of comedy AND misery on Florida Field today. 

9 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

What really, really scares me is I don't know if it's nerves. I hope that's the case, but I'm scared it's his vision. He definitely didn't see the safeties waiting in zone coverage on the first two picks. I also notice he usually reads one receiver then bails. He is young so they may not be asking much in terms of making progressions or read the defense. But dang, dude. I wasn't expecting read/vision kind of mistakes from Bo. He will learn. I just hope the vision thing is something he can grow out of. 

It isn't his vision, at least not long term. He has made plays throughout the season already where he showed he has vision, and he has missed some , too. He just had that Freshman game we knew he would have at some point. Everybody on this board has said starting a Freshman would cost us a game somewhere and today we saw it. He made some bad throws today. I didn't think he made a ton of bad reads. The first interception was a decent read he just waited to long. The window closed. The second interception wasnt terrible either just another bad throw. Should have been a high point throw in the back of EZ but it was a strike low enough for the safety to get it. There was a couple times later in the game where he missed a couple of open guys in the middle, but in his defense he was ratlled at that point, and had some nasty DL in his face. The sack where he ran backwards 22 yards wa the worst decision of the day. The rest I just thought was him being rattled and making bad throws. The slant to Seth in the RZ that he threw behind him by 5 yards wouldve been 6.

There were also times it felt we were just destined to lose this game. Brown trips up by the Turf monster on scoop and run. Williams trips up on wide open deep bomb Those were so close to be scores and I think if either one had of been, we walk out with a win. Is what it is. The season isn't over. We have all our goals in front of us. 

I am hoping we learn from this and put an arse beating on LSU in a few weeks and then make a run. War Damn Eagle. 

50 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Yeah yeah. I’ve heard it for 5 years now. Saban can’t be beat. We can’t do any better. Blah blah blah. Its just like when Coach Dye went to mid-field the first time and said to Bear...”Coach, we know we cannot beat ya so we’re just gonna wait you out”....oh wait, thats not what he said though is it? He said “ Coach, we aint scared of you no more and we’re gonna get after your ass”...thats the Auburn spirit...unafraid...not “ well shucks yall who could we get thats any better, we should just be happy beatin Ole Miss and Arky every year...

Enough is enough.

You’re Allen Green. You fire Gus tomorrow. Who do you get? 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

My dad said something interesting to me after the second pick. The safety was almost stationary before Bo threw the ball. He was in a blue jersey, everyone in that endzone was wearing the same shade blue. I'm not sure Bo knew he was there at all. He may have been camouflaged into the crowd.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You’re Allen Green. You fire Gus tomorrow. Who do you get? 

I do what every fn AD in the country does when it’s obvious your current coach has reached his peak and will never be more than he is...you do a search and find a candidate. It may work, it may not but given Auburn’s track record of each new coach having one really spectacular year then at least we will get that one spectacular year instead of wallowing in 8-4 no mans land every year. I don’t know who the next big thing is but you won’t know til you try, And just for the record i’m not necessarily saying Gus should be fired if he finishes 8-4 again, But I am tired of people defending him and accepting less because of the idiotic “well who do we get” argument. 

5 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I do what every fn AD in the country does when it’s obvious your current coach has reached his peak and will never be more than he is...you do a search and find a candidate. It may work, it may not but given Auburn’s track record of each new coach having one really spectacular year then at least we will get that one spectacular year instead of wallowing in 8-4 no mans land every year. I don’t know who the next big thing is but you won’t know til you try, And just for the record i’m not necessarily saying Gus should be fired if he finishes 8-4 again, But I am tired of people defending him and accepting less because of the idiotic “well who do we get” argument. 

I think what we want to know is who would you specifically want? Like name some names lol. I am very curious. 

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think what we want to know is who would you specifically want? Like name some names lol. I am very curious. 

A) No way am I naming anyone so he can or any other Gus lovers can tell me what a bad coach they would make. 

B ) I’m not terribly familiar with a lot of up and coming coordinators and given our hiring track record it’s likely to be one of them.

C ) I hold no illusions that we would hire a Stoops or Dabo or any big name nor do I hold any illusions that whatever coordinator we hire would solve all of our problems.

D) All I’m saying is you don’t keep doing what you’re doing and getting the same results just because you’re not sure of the future. We know what we have in Gus. He’s hit his ceiling. If we keep using that argument and Gus keeps going 8-4, then by this logic we would never change coaches. 7 years is long enough. If he loses 4 games this year then it is what it is. If he wins 9 then half the folks wearing orange and blue will build him a statue. 

Archived