The Blame

AUght2win

6 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I do what every fn AD in the country does when it’s obvious your current coach has reached his peak and will never be more than he is...you do a search and find a candidate. It may work, it may not but given Auburn’s track record of each new coach having one really spectacular year then at least we will get that one spectacular year instead of wallowing in 8-4 no mans land every year. I don’t know who the next big thing is but you won’t know til you try, And just for the record i’m not necessarily saying Gus should be fired if he finishes 8-4 again, But I am tired of people defending him and accepting less because of the idiotic “well who do we get” argument. 

I've been really critical of the current head coach many times, but man, the possibility that we might end up like Arkansas or Tennessee is frankly terrifying. Remember when Arkansas won 10 games and 11 games in back to back years earlier this decade? Seems like it was 100 years ago. Remember when Tennessee/Florida was one of the biggest games in the COUNTRY every year? Kids born during those games are college graduates now. I'll be the one to say it, Gus is our Mark Richt minus all the player arrests. The fans are permanently frustrated that his teams can't reach their potential but he does enough to scare the more farsighted decision makers into keeping him around for fear of the program dramatically regressing. The problem is we don't have our Kirby Smart out there waiting for us to call him. If T-Will or Rodney Garner were tearing it up as a DC at Ohio State they would look like a slam dunk hire for us.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

A) No way am I naming anyone so he can or any other Gus lovers can tell me what a bad coach they would make. 

B ) I’m not terribly familiar with a lot of up and coming coordinators and given our hiring track record it’s likely to be one of them.

C ) I hold no illusions that we would hire a Stoops or Dabo or any big name nor do I hold any illusions that whatever coordinator we hire would solve all of our problems.

D) All I’m saying is you don’t keep doing what you’re doing and getting the same results just because you’re not sure of the future. We know what we have in Gus. He’s hit his ceiling. If we keep using that argument and Gus keeps going 8-4, then by this logic we would never change coaches. 7 years is long enough. If he loses 4 games this year then it is what it is. If we wins 9 then half the folks wearing orange and blue will build him a statue. 

I mean it is all opinion based. I am all for saying get the right man for the job, but I do think with some critiquing there should be some sort of idea of a resolution? no? 

Just now, WalkingCarpet said:

I've been really critical of the current head coach many times, but man, the possibility that we might end up like Arkansas or Tennessee is frankly terrifying. Remember when Arkansas won 10 games and 11 games in back to back years earlier this decade? Seems like it was 100 years ago. Remember when Tennessee/Florida was one of the biggest games in the COUNTRY every year? Kids born during those games are college graduates now. I'll be the one to say it, Gus is our Mark Richt minus all the player arrests. The fans are permanently frustrated that his teams can't reach their potential but he does enough to scare the more farsighted decision makers into keeping him around for fear of the program dramatically regressing. The problem is we don't have our Kirby Smart out there waiting for us to call him. If T-Will or Rodney Garner were tearing it up as a DC at Ohio State they would look like a slam dunk hire for us.

We hired Terry freakin Bowden and Gene freakin Chizik...if that didn’t tuen us into Tennessee then nothing will.

And if UT continues to struggle at least it will affect change in the program at some point, At least they will try to get better. 

Whereas we seem content in mid tier bowl heaven. 

22 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

My dad said something interesting to me after the second pick. The safety was almost stationary before Bo threw the ball. He was in a blue jersey, everyone in that endzone was wearing the same shade blue. I'm not sure Bo knew he was there at all. He may have been camouflaged into the crowd.

That's actually... a really good point. Man. Those endzone level seats start at the ground. He may have seriously lost him in there. Hey, they have a batters eye in baseball for a reason.

Considering we scored less on them than ******* Kentucky let’s blame the play caller...

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I mean it is all opinion based. I am all for saying get the right man for the job, but I do think with some critiquing there should be some sort of idea of a resolution? no? 

I can name the usual suspects like Venables but I’m trying to be honest in saying I’m not familiar enough with the hot candidates to give you a list. And on this board, by naming people I just set myself up for these guys to remind me every time their current team loses. 

26 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You’re Allen Green. You fire Gus tomorrow. Who do you get? 

I would go nationwide, but man, the dude at UAB's success is hard to ignore. Seriously. I would hate to get another unproven, but it is remarkable what Clark has done in Birmingham. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I would go nationwide, but man, the dude at UAB's success is hard to ignore. Seriously. I would hate to get another unproven, but it is remarkable what Clark has done in Birmingham. 

I do not know anything about the UAB coach.. is he a defense or offense guy? What kind of offense do they run? 

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I have several but he is my fave and I always get killed for supporting coach Bill

1 minute ago, AuMarine said:

I do not know anything about the UAB coach.. is he a defense or offense guy? What kind of offense do they run? 

I honestly couldn't tell you, brother. I believe they run a spread offense. But he is 28-15 at UAB. Two bowls. The man built them up, had the program KILLED for a year, and then BROUGHT THEM BACK. Who else could do that? Your program is killed for a year and you pick right back up where you left off. Unreal.

The guy literally is the state of Alabama in terms of coaching. Grew up here. Coached high school ball here for 20 years. USA. Then Jacksonville State. Then UAB. He would definitely win a lot of in state recruits.

20 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Offer venables? Dave Aranda has shown his worth in the SEC. Step off our pedestal and give Kiffen a chance if he'd accept? Id say Leach but he seems settled up north. Mendenhall from Uva? 

Aranda would be interesting to me. Someone is bound to give him a shot.

Heupel though the L's recently take some shine off.

Orlando out of Texas would be interesting to me. Would have to get use to a Big 12 bend not break but outscore ball game though I think. Wisconsin guy and I just believe all Wisconsin guys regardless of the side of the ball believe in linemen.

36 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You’re Allen Green. You fire Gus tomorrow. Who do you get? 

If I'm Allen Green I have already made a move. I see that we've seen the same tired plays no matter the coordinator so instead of yet letting Gus hire yet another under qualified youngster for his offensive staff I find a coordinator that has a proven track record at big name schools. I try to emulate on offense what we have on defense. I let that new coordinator come in and hire his own offensive staff and tell Gus to let the man do his job like he does Steele. 

5 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Im right there with you on Wisconsin guys. Our latest example in Bielema disappointed me with what I thought he'd do at arky. Successful football in the SEC is so complex now where not only do you need a solid line of scrimmage but also speed on the edges and out of the backfield. 

That is what would be interesting to me. Him also coming out of the Big 12 I just imagine the offense being similar to what Texas, OU, etc run now. Not the style Bielema ran.

Then he would have Texas/Louisiana connections for recruiting. Familiar with running a huge program.

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I honestly couldn't tell you, brother. I believe they run a spread offense. But he is 28-15 at UAB. Two bowls. The man built them up, had the program KILLED for a year, and then BROUGHT THEM BACK. Who else could do that? Your program is killed for a year and you pick right back up where you left off. Unreal.

The guy literally is the state of Alabama in terms of coaching. Grew up here. Coached high school ball here for 20 years. USA. Then Jacksonville State. Then UAB. He would definitely win a lot of in state recruits.

Thanks for the info. Doesn’t really matter what he runs ..sounds like he has the program going. I will check him out. 

I don't really care who we would get as long as he wouldn't try to run the same slow developing delayed handoff into the middle three straight times on 3rd, and two. One in which the defensive end makes the tackle before the RB can get to the line of scrimmage. If you're determined to run into the middle in that situation put the QB under center, and maybe use that 260lb HB as a fullback. 

How about a coach that can figure out how to get the fastest man in football matched up against a linebacker, or a safety by formation? 

How about one that uses crossing routes behind the aggressive linebackers with backs out of the backfield? 

Or, one who when the defense is playing down hill will send his newly acquired transfer tight end up the seams? 

One who doesn't tip his plays off by formation, and personnel groupings.

One who doesn't have his QB take the time to make two play action fakes on third, and twelve against a hard charging pass rush. 

One who realizes that O line recruiting is of utmost importance, and not an afterthought. 

The downhill run play action narrative is fine, but how about having a plan when the downhill turns uphill? 

Gus has never changed, and never will folks. In 2013 he continued to run into 8, and 9 man fronts over, and o er again. Only difference was he had a unique blend of talent to get away with it. I warned anyone who would listen at the time that it would not continue to work year in, and year out. When their is a large disparity in talent level it looks great, but put us up against fast talented defenses, and the simpleness of the concepts are exposed in spades.

9 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

And if we still lost, all the talk would be about how Gus screwed up Bo by benching him. Time to realize a 15-0 Natty just wasn't in the cards with a TF QB.

No time to realize 2010’and 2013 were flukes and Gus isn’t the coach we need. We fired the the guy that paid Gus the money now we need to fire Gus. Then we can look for a real coach .

39 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

How about a coach that can figure out how to get the fastest man in football matched up against a linebacker, or a safety by formation? 

Kind of like Mullen did to our LBs yesterday with two of their fastest guys on their two TD passes?

I've read alot on here about Bo's confidence with regards to Gus not pulling him or whatever kinda bull**** excuse that is. His confidence was in shambles beginning the 2nd qtr. At what point, as a coach do you pull him for a series to settle him down and coach him up and put Joey in to see if he can handle it better? I mean,  the kid was flustered and completely overwhelmed at one point, it was obvious. We could all see it. He was getting no help from anywhere. He was compounding the problems himself by making some very bad throws and decisions. Did Gus think Bo could just shake that off by continuing to do the same stuff? What kinda coach leaves their true freshman QB in the fire that long to burn? People wanna talk about shaking a guys confidence by pulling him. For goodness sake, I just hope Gus doesn't completely break the kid or the rest of the team by hanging them out to dry and putting them in this situation. This is a kind of game that he may lose more than just Bo's confidence in himself,  but also the teams confidence in Gus.

10 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

You are dead wrong. 8-4 will get him fired. 

I hope we are not 8-4.  But if we are, I hope I am dead wrong. 

8 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Heupel though the L's recently take some shine off.

You want Scott Frost (not happening), not the guy who followed the guy who created the success 

As bad as AU played we were one play away from taking the lead until late in the 4th. I agree that Joey should have taken a few snaps or a series. I also think top to bottom AU had more talent on the field. Our Oline got exposed on several 3rd and shorts though. Our inability to adjust to what they were giving us was frustrating. Bo is not an accurate passer. I dont know if it is mechanics or ability but it is costly. If Mullen is the QB whisperer then Gus is....

Most of all I'm embarrassed that I thought JH was a great home field advantage. The people that designed JH should be ashamed. Ben Hill Griffen Stadium is so incredibly loud. I haven't watched a replay of the game so I don't know if it really comes across on tv. But in person it is bone jarringly loud and an advantage that AU fans cant not duplicate in JH.

21 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I hope we are not 8-4.  But if we are, I hope I am dead wrong. 

But when he starts losing he will point out that team is young at snapper and holder and we need to give him more time. Then the team will be young elsewhere and so forth.

Archived