Swamp Eagle

That is the win percentage of the Auburn football program since 1892. That's 127 years worth of facts. 

People are bitching and moaning around here like we're historically a blue blood of college football.

.631 is good enough as 18th all-time. Now thats impressive considering we're not even the state namesake university. But to be wringing our hands and demanding that every coach has some faux legacy to uphold by contending for championships year in and year out is a pipe dream. 

Should that be the goal? Absolutely. Is it realistic? Well, to disagree with me is not arguing with me; you're arguing with 127 years of reality. That doesn't mean we.should settle for anything or anyone, but it sure does limit the standard that we clamor to hold someone to year in and year out.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

That is the win percentage of the Auburn football program since 1892. That's 127 years worth of facts. 

People are bitching and moaning around here like we're historically a blue blood of college football.

.631 is good enough as 18th all-time. Now thats impressive considering we're not even the state namesake university. But to be wringing our hands and demanding that every coach has some faux legacy to uphold by contending for championships year in and year out is a pipe dream. 

Should that be the goal? Absolutely. Is it realistic? Well, to disagree with me is not arguing with me; you're arguing with 127 years of reality. That doesn't mean we.should settle for anything or anyone, but it sure does limit the standard that we clamor to hold someone to year in and year out.

Very timely post. The University we played today had never won a conference championship prior to 1991. My 60+ year old, avid football following father described them as "historically a cellar dweller". They now have 8 conference titles and 3 nattys. Their win percentage? .631. 

We have a solid history. Great, even. But it's something to build ON, not use as a ceiling. Auburn has all the pieces to be a perennial power.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Very timely post. The University we played today had never won a conference championship prior to 1991. My 60+ year old, avid football follower described them as "historically a cellar dweller". They now have 8 conference titles and 3 nattys. Their win percentage? .631. 

We have a solid history. Great, even. But it's something to build ON, not use as a ceiling. Auburn has all the pieces to be a perennial power.

A 127 year trend is not a ceiling.

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

That's because no one wants the facts..just the spoils.

Another fact to blow apart this argument. The New England Patriots began football in 1960. For 40 years they did not win an NFL title. Now, over the span of 20 years, they have 11 total Super Bowl appearances - the most of all time. They're now tied for the most SB championships in NFL history.

All it takes is one leader, one move, one movement to elevate a program into a new stratosphere. 

12 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Your post would have just a LITTLE bit more credibility if little brother was not THE IT program in all of college football and the new WR U and getting out of state transcendent 5 star QBs come play for them. But hey go off man.

uiyuui.gif

weqwqe.gif

dsfdsfsdf.gif

gtrtr.gif

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

A 127 year trend is not a ceiling.

How about Clemson? They've been playing as long as we have. They have a worse history. Look where they have been elevated too. Florida also has been playing just as long. Your past is not a determinant of your future unless you allow it to be. 

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Another fact to blow apart this argument. The New England Patriots began football in 1960. For 40 years they did not win an NFL title. Now, over the span of 20 years, they have 11 total Super Bowl appearances - the most of all time. They're now tied for the most SB championships in NFL history.

All it takes is one leader, one move, one movement to elevate a program into a new stratosphere. 

I would like to add into evidence....Clemson....

I give a damn about two things

the current season, and the future.

(8-4) averaging coach isn’t getting it done. Sick of this crap. I want a coach who doesn’t make me feel like a wasted an entire Saturday and a decent amount of money to see a team unprepared and inept against a team we should have throttled. 

I’m not asking for Natty’s I just want a team that looks prepared consistently. Don’t pay a guy millions to be an offense mastermind and he can’t pass the 50 without a turnover. 

Damn it all of you! Auburn needs to shut up and accept being little brother! Quit trying to elevate this program! Quit aspiring for more! 8-4 rocks baby! Music City Bowl Champs! Love it! Own it! Celebrate it! Auburn is an average program and always will be! 

It doesn't blow anything up. It only proves that the common denominator is over 125 years of time passing. What era of a success is of no consequence.

12 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

This is the kind of thing that I was referring to elsewhere. It isn't us, the normal fan regardless of your passion, that gets in the way. Like the last 30 years it has been our boosters. Mean they almost cost us our accreditation one time.

We hear the talk about getting the big name coach. Yet we never land them and even drive them away at times. We hear the talk of upgrades, yet they don't happen or take years to put together the money or universities snap their fingers for. They are alot of talk, or let alot of rumors about what they are doing go unchecked in the public.

This is where my blame lays, and they have been some of the most consistent pieces of our athletic programs for a long time.

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

It doesn't blow anything up. It only proves that the common denominator is over 125 years of time passing. What era of a success is of no consequence.

Ah. I see. So we gotta wait until 2085 to officially declare the Patriots have a winning pedigree. Cool and totally arbitrary logic, bro.

2 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Damn it all of you! Auburn needs to shut up and accept being little brother! Quit trying to elevate this program! Quit aspiring for more! 8-4 rocks baby! Music City Bowl Champs! Love it! Own it! Celebrate it! Auburn is an average program and always will be! 

Not my point, nix, and you know it.

Just now, Zeek said:

I give a damn about two things

the current season, and the future.

(8-4) averaging coach isn’t getting it done. Sick of this crap. I want a coach who doesn’t make me feel like a wasted an entire Saturday and a decent amount of money to see a team unprepared and inept against a team we should have throttled. 

I’m not asking for Natty’s I just want a team that looks prepared consistently. Don’t pay a guy millions to be an offense mastermind and he can’t pass the 50 without a turnover. 

SIR! SIR!! PLEASE HOLD ON!!!!! LET ME STOP YOU RIGHT THERE SIR!!!!!!! I am asking for NATTY's!!!!! I will accept nothing less than greatness. Because with the talent we can attract we should able to get one every few years........ I AM SOOOOOO out of the business of wanting anything less than a natty!!!! Herm may of failed to take his own advice BUT YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!! NAW NAW NAW NAAAAAAAAAAW if bleepin bleep bleep bleeeeeeeeeeeep little brother Clemson can get 2 in 3 years then we should expect that. They are a nobody program from nothing. We at least are a fringe top 10 program all time.

werwr.gif

3 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:
1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

SIR! SIR!! PLEASE HOLD ON!!!!! LET ME STOP YOU RIGHT THERE SIR!!!!!!! I am asking for NATTY's!!!!! I will accept nothing less than greatness. Because with the talent we can attract we should able to get one every few years........ I AM SOOOOOO out of the business of wanting anything less than a natty!!!! Herm may of failed to take his own advice BUT YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!! NAW NAW NAW NAAAAAAAAAAW if bleepin bleep bleep bleeeeeeeeeeeep little brother Clemson can get 2 in 3 years then we should expect that. They are a nobody program from nothing. We at least are a fringe top 10 program all time.

werwr.gif

lol I’m saying if a coach gets one every 4 years or so I’m not crying. 

The biggest response to this is - why not? Why can't we be a consistent winner?

Not enough money? We got plenty. Not enough exposure? We are on national TV every week? Not a big enough brand? I think we are tied with Notre Dame for the 7th most valuable college football program. Not enough of a recruiting base? HA. Not enough fan support? HA. HA. Not good enough facilities? Yeah, right.

Auburn doesn't have an excuse. We've grown up, essentially. 

Son: "Time to leave, Pop. I'm a man now."

Pop: "That's crazy talk! For 18 years you've lived in this house. You can't move out! You've never done it before!"

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

I want the same thing...I realize, however, that history doesn't entitle us..as it appears some believe. 

Let's flip the argument, though. What's history getting Nebraska, Tennessee, Princeton, and Sewanee right now? Or Colorado? Or Vanderbilt? Or Navy? Or Army?

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Your post would have just a LITTLE bit more credibility if little brother was not THE IT program in all of college football and the new WR U and getting out of state transcendent 5 star QBs come play for them. But hey go off man.

uiyuui.gif

weqwqe.gif

dsfdsfsdf.gif

gtrtr.gif

Props for the Dabo gif's. Lot of dancing. Lol South Carolina is like the exception to the rule. They have won like one ACC title in 69.

They are not a Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State etc.

Florida State would be a good example though since UF is the Florida flagship. Though they kinda aren't good now lol.

Let's flip the argument, though. What's history getting Nebraska, Tennessee, Princeton, and Sewanee right now? Or Colorado? Or Vanderbilt? Or Navy? Or Army?

GREAT point muhhhhhhhhhh dude. Nebraska and Rocky Top will NEVER EVER be what they once were. Their recruiting base sucks freaking ass. We are much better set up to be a perennial power than them. Tradition only means anything if you are in a position to succeed. Those 2 programs are not.

28 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

So, what your saying is that we should hope for better, but when we don’t win, we should be okay with it because historically we just don’t measure up to it?

3 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I want the same thing...I realize, however, that history doesn't entitle us..as it appears some believe. 

Correct. But we’re situated in a way that we’re in a higher tier than the Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Iowa’s of the world. Most of those teams would never fire a coach who stayed between 7-9 wins with no real hardware.

It’s because we have the same resources and potential as the Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Georgia, Alabama’s if the world that it’s frustrating.

Notre Dame hasn’t done jack crap in two decades and their standards/expectations hold steady.

Michigan will be expelling Harbaugh soon for the same reason. 

Archived