Swamp Eagle

AU bros and sis'...I'm not satisfied with 8-4, either. We shouldn't be and I'm not telling anyone NOT to expect better. I am merely pointing out that this attitude of 'it's just going to happen because we want it to and we're Auburn' is BS. History says that type of arrogance from us isn't warranted. There is a HUUUGE difference in expecting and desiring better things and an attitude of ENTITLEMENT.  That's my whole point. Gus frustrates the hell out of me. I get it. It's justified. No disagreement there at all.

Just don't be surprised if the next Auburn coach, regardless of who it is, goes through this same cycle. We've been doing it as long as I've been following Auburn, about 48 years of the 127.

I didn't post this originally to pick fights; it's a truism.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

AU bros and sis'...I'm not satisfied with 8-4, either. We shouldn't be and I'm not telling anyone NOT to expect better. I am merely pointing out that this attitude of 'it's just going to happen because we want it to and we're Auburn' is BS. History says that type of arrogance from us isn't warranted. There is a HUUUGE difference in expecting and desiring better things and an attitude of ENTITLEMENT.  That's my whole point. Gus frustrates the hell out of me. I get it. It's justified. No disagreement there at all.

Just don't be surprised if the next Auburn coach, regardless of who it is, goes through this same cycle. We've been doing it as long as I've been following Auburn, about 48 years of the 127.

That’s better

4 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Do you still need that apology?😎

No sir! I actually like that you stimulated convo even if it isn’t what people want to hear unfortunately 

43 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Who has a sense of ENTITLEMENT? People want and expect better than what this staff has been able to produce.  

No one should be satisfied with 8 win seasons for more than once every 5 yrs at a place like Auburn, not NOW.  Like another poster (Tiger?) said earlier, Auburn leveled up after the 2010/2013 seasons and that middling past history should never be accepted by the fan base again.

The fact that this staff  hasn't been able to string together 9 win seasons back to back in 6 yrs is what irritates folks.  If history has proven anything, its that the next Auburn coaching staff will to chalk up and undefeated regular season, I'd take that right now.

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

Who has a sense of ENTITLEMENT? People want and expect better than what this staff has been able to produce.  

No one should be satisfied with 8 win seasons for more than once every 5 yrs at a place like Auburn, not NOW.  Like another poster (Tiger?) said earlier, Auburn leveled up after the 2010/2013 seasons and that middling past history should never be accepted by the fan base again.

The fact that this staff  hasn't been able to string together 9 win seasons back to back in 6 yrs is what irritates folks.  If history has proven anything, its that the next Auburn coaching staff will to chalk up and undefeated regular season, I'd take that right now.

I would also add that is the way we lose some of these games that bothers people too. It is the same set of plays year in and out. We continue to talk about the same problems with slow developing plays, lack of route trees/throws over the middle/gimmicks, and back up plans if option A doesn't work. Stop forcing players  to be a type of player they aren't. Use their talents instead of punching them in to pegs that don't fit their skill set.  

Well, let's just be honest. (1) The Gus offense has seen its day. (2) If you can't recruit elite offensive and defensive linemen in the SEC, you got major problems. Auburn under Gus (well CRG really) got real good recruiting a crop of awesome DL and the LB situation has really improved. But the best of the DL gonna be leaving. Other good ones? Of course. As good? TBD.

But OL recruiting has sucked big time the last few years under Gus. And so has RB recruiting. I'm really hopeful about our ONE new RB recruit, but frankly, pulling in a big crop of okay JUCO guys, hoping to find a few who can be coached up (remember who is coaching the OL) to play SEC ball, just ain't gonna change anything.

I don't care who jumps my azz on this. Mikey complained for years about LB recruiting. I'm complaining over and over about OL recruiting, because the FACT is that, if you can't win up front on the OL, you can't win against your toughest rivals.

Auburn can go on winning 63% by beating up on cupcakes and the bottom dwellers in the SEC West. I'm not satisfied with that. Anyone who is ..... well ...... I'm not.

14 minutes ago, AURex said:

Auburn can go on winning 63% by beating up on cupcakes and the bottom dwellers in the SEC West. I'm not satisfied with that. Anyone who is ..... well ...... I'm not.

Simple math yet it escapes some fans. 

3 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

13 x 0.631 = 8.203.      Yep, that’s it. 

Also, 772 (total wins)/1261 (total games) = .6122.

Yep. It is.

But we deserve better.

41 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Also, 772 (total wins)/1261 (total games) = .6122.

Yep. It is.

But we deserve better.

Post 2010 AU football is not to be judged in the same manner as the prior state of the program. Respectfully, you seem to have some trouble grasping this notion

43 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Post 2010 AU football is not to be judged in the same manner as the prior state of the program. Respectfully, you seem to have some trouble grasping this notion

We win NC's 53 years apart and you call it 'trending.'

You make my point better than me. Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm sure it works well with recruits.

Hey kid, you know that aging Carolina QB constantly battling injuries, well he spent 1 year at this college back when you were in elementary school. Ready to sign?!?!?!

4 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Hey kid, you know that aging Carolina QB constantly battling injuries, well he spent 1 year at this college back when you were in elementary school. Ready to sign?!?!?!

Ouch....but true.

31 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

We win NC's 53 years apart and you call it 'trending.'

You make my point better than me. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

15 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Ouch....but true.

My point is simply going over you guys' heads. The fact that we absolutely failed to capitalize on 2 national championship appearances, and winning 1, in a 3 year window by having Chizik and Gus as our HCs does not make it OK to be living in this world where we are eating 8 win seasons in the current era. Hovering around 8 wins became unacceptable after finishing in the top 2 in the entire country just a few years apart. If Clemson all of a sudden slid back to the world of Clemsoning they would consider it unacceptable. There comes a time when you reach a new level and you're supposed to sustain that. We reached the new height and failed to sustain it. We are still the same program capable of sustaining it that everyone thought we were but we have just been incompetent with how we chose our leaders to sustain the success.

With the right coach this program can go on a tear. We have the recruiting, the resources, the stadium, the facilities, and the support to make this happen.

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

My point is simply going over you guys' heads. The fact that we absolutely failed to capitalize on 2 national championship appearances, and winning 1, in a 3 year window by having Chizik and Gus as our HCs does not make it OK to be living in this world where we are eating 8 win seasons in the current era. Hovering around 8 wins became unacceptable after finishing in the top 2 in the entire country just a few years apart. If Clemson all of a sudden slid back to the world of Clemsoning they would consider it unacceptable. There comes a time when you reach a new level and you're supposed to sustain that. We reached the new height and failed to sustain it. We are still the same program capable of sustaining it that everyone thought we were but we have just been incompetent with how we chose our leaders to sustain the success.

With the right coach this program can go on a tear. We have the recruiting, the resources, the stadium, the facilities, and the support to make this happen.

Honestly, I would love to believe that, and I hope it comes to fruition. 

39 minutes ago, Tiger said:

My point is simply going over you guys' heads.

That's what happens every time I post something.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

You are being very kind to them. I admire your patience. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Not at all my man, I actually think we are in complete agreement (going off this post, there are so many people in this thread it's confusing). Auburn, like many teams before who got an electrifying superstar had a huge surge of popularity and thus talent and potential in his wake... but did not make the most of it. It's not as bad as it could be, but it's also not as great as most of us hoped. Chiz and Gus not being up to the task is what is usually pointed at, but the university itself making suspect decisions constantly on hirings and contracts is what keeps us from the top.

My comments before were mostly directed at the people who see who and what are coach is, knows the strengths and weaknesses of this team, yet still act baffled beyond belief when we aren't "world beaters". I like Gus, a lot actually... he's provided some of the most exciting Auburn football games I've ever seen. But Gus just doesn't seem like he's ever going to be that top tier guy. I believe he is good enough to catch lightning in a bottle now and then and still wow us... but I don't think he's ever going to be able to put out a year in and year out championship vying team. So while I certainly hope for the best every year and every game, that's a bit different than ignoring the reality of Auburns current situation and lashing out angrily on forums whenever we lose a big game.

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

That's what happens every time I post something.

I don't get it.

:big:

Two points I’ll make.

1) winning is what everyone wants. But it’s very hard to win them all. So there will be losses. HOW those loses come and WHY those losses come makes all the difference.

2) fear of new failure should not scare us off from making a change when the cure situation is NOT getting us to where we want to be. If you have goals, and those goals are what you want, but you are not reaching them, you change your approach. Can’t let fear of striking out keeping you from swinging.

1 hour ago, fasttimes said:

Two points I’ll make.

1) winning is what everyone wants. But it’s very hard to win them all. So there will be losses. HOW those loses come and WHY those losses come makes all the difference.

2) fear of new failure should not scare us off from making a change when the cure situation is NOT getting us to where we want to be. If you have goals, and those goals are what you want, but you are not reaching them, you change your approach. Can’t let fear of striking out keeping you from swinging.

Good points. But my OP was not about NOT swinging; it was about "if you strike out, just go back to the dugout and aim to do better...don't remain in the batters box holding up a copy of Ty Cobb's career batting average."

On 10/9/2019 at 3:01 PM, AURex said:

If you limit the data to only Power5 and top independents (like Notre Dame), Auburn is 15th all time and 6th of the SEC teams in W-L percentage, just ahead of Florida by an infinitesimal  0.1% so Auburn may slip behind Florida after this season.

Is being just middle of the conference satisfying to anyone here? Well, certainly not me. Middlin is mediocre, and I'm not happy with middlin. And it ain't gettin' better. The continuing recent records of 7-5 and 8-4 is still right there at ---- you guessed it --- 63%. The singular big-win seasons scattered in there occasionally are offset by the really crappy seasons, so they don't really change the overall percentage much year after year.

Nope. I'm not satisfied with that, and I don't really care what the past was.

As for history : Historically the record for most national championships is Yale with 18. Princeton is second with 17. That just demonstrates that the past does not dictate the future.

You are correct, the past doesn't dictate the future. But you also can't stomp and scream at the loan officer if your credit score is limiting your borrowing power.

Archived