Basketball Countdown!

doverstutts

Exactly 30 days until tipoff !!! I am in now way expecting anything like last year, but I am excited about watching BP build up a legitimate basketball team out of veterans and freshmen.....I got a little bit excited about the football team, but reality bit me in the butt yesterday when it became so obvious, AGAIN, that our football HC is still the same one that has been here for 6 loooooonnnnnnnggggggg years.....I am counting the days

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I didn't mean to gloom and doom you...Its 28 days until tipoff and I am really anxious to see how BP works the young guys in and develops a solid basketball team. This is a coach that actually can develop and utilize talent unlike the.....oops, happy place is still alive

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I haven’t paid attention ... do tell!

Justin Ferguson had a glut of tweets about him about 3 days ago when they had media interviews, and has had a few more interspersed since then. You can also type in Isaac Okoro on twitter to get a feel for how much the fans believe in him. I think it could be similar to Okeke where his offensive talent will begin clicking when we need it the most (although I think mentally he’s far ahead of where Chuma was at this point) 

War Damn. It'll be nice seeing these guys kick butt with their awesome head coach. SEC Champs here we come.

I was reading up on some articles yesterday about the team and i'm starting to get a little more heady about our chances this season. I'm not going to expect a repeat of a final four appearance but i think we can still be one of the top teams in the SEC and the ncaa tourney should still be the goal. 

We have an interesting mix seniors and freshmen with a couple mid classmen sprinkled in who are transfers and will be new players this season. We will be relying heavily on some of these seniors to take their respective games up several notches from last season (Wiley, Mac, Doughty, and Purifoy) if we want to reach our full potential. I've been pretty concerned about the 5 spot since Wiley has had a very hard time staying healthy but reports about that Stretch kid seem to be very promising. He won't give much offense initially but Pearl was really bragging on his defense game both at the rim and away from the rim when defending screens. Having another big body to through out there with Mac and Wiley is critical. 

Speaking of Mac i wonder what the odds of him returning to his pre-injury form are? He was an absolute eraser at the rim before he was hurt and i would love to see him get back to that level of play. Also, if he can continue to hit 3s like he did toward the end of last season he gives others teams all kinds of match up problems at the 5 spot with his athleticism. 

The key though is going to be point guard and what we'll get there. We have 2 true PGs on the team. McCormick played amazing in March of last year but i haven't forgotten how he struggled in SEC play last season. If we consistently get the McCormick we saw in the tourney then the basketball world best look out. Next in line is Turbo who was limited by an injury over the summer. He'll have to be ready to contribute early cause you can't go with one guy all season. 

I think we are like 21 days now from the start of the season?? Sorry didn't double check that number. Just know i'm ready :hellyeah:

I think backup PG may be a problem for us early. I saw about 7 or 8 minutes footage of AUs pro day and Turbo definitely seemed like he's going to have to learn quickly. He was behind with his injury so I know that plays a major part but we need him to anchor the squad when J'Von is resting. It's already kind of a question mark with what we are going to get out of McCormick. After 2 years of knowing we are going to have top of the conference level PG play its going to be interesting to see what we get at that position this year. J'Von played outstanding in his backup role down the stretch last season after struggling for most of the year but being the starting PG is a whoooole different animal. That's a big responsibility. 

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I think backup PG may be a problem for us early. I saw about 7 or 8 minutes footage of AUs pro day and Turbo definitely seemed like he's going to have to learn quickly. He was behind with his injury so I know that plays a major part but we need him to anchor the squad when J'Von is resting. It's already kind of a question mark with what we are going to get out of McCormick. After 2 years of knowing we are going to have top of the conference level PG play its going to be interesting to see what we get at that position this year. J'Von played outstanding in his backup role down the stretch last season after struggling for most of the year but being the starting PG is a whoooole different animal. That's a big responsibility. 

I keep holding out hope that the memphis transfer can handle the ball some. Doughty could in a pinch but if we are in that position then the season likely isn't going how we want

13 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I keep holding out hope that the memphis transfer can handle the ball some. Doughty could in a pinch but if we are in that position then the season likely isn't going how we want

The more guys who can adequately handle the ball the better IMO.

The things I'm worried about with Turbo was that Bruce was really getting on him about some stuff he should already know. Like when the ball was entered into the post Turbo wasn't relocating or trying to get in a position to shoot the rock when the ball got kicked back out to him. He was really far away from the 3 point line instead of being ready to launch that thing. I think this year Turbo will be on the ugly end of some of Bruce's yelling much like McCormick was last season lolol

Aghhh I'm getting super excited to be discussing our bball program again. It's going to be a fun, and frustrating at times, ride while we watch this group gel and find their roles. My hope is we put it together for the last month of the season and get to the Sweet 16. That would be a great followup to last year while implementing so many faces with a brand new backcourt seeing as how important PG and SG play is in college hoops. 

53 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Ditto

Hip hip, cheerio ole chaps, its 24 days until TIPOFF !!!! The week sure has passed quickly and today is special because we don't have to wonder about what Malzahn is doing with the pla.........oops, sorrreeeee

29 minutes ago, jared52 said:

You aren’t here to countdown to basketball, you are here to denigrate football and Gus. 

Wrong !!!! Once basketball starts, I won't even remember whatziznames name

24 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Wrong !!!! Once basketball starts, I won't even remember whatziznames name

Feel free to start forgetting now. 

Archived