Why are Qbs special?

Mims44

Hopefully this belongs here, I dunno where else to put it.

Nix struggled vs Florida, I could point out the multiple times... but it seems pointless, most of you here watched the game and know what I'm talking about.

Now, I'm at a disadvantage, as all my time playing and coaching has been for defense (ILBs to be precise). And I never had a problem with being pulled or pulling a player if they were struggling. It almost always helped.

People on the outside see it as just a punishment, but to the player or coaches involved it is a way to settle down or re-focus a player. Someone who has been rattled, lost focus, or simply has too much adrenaline going and is shooting the gaps on his first read... Letting that person sit back for a minute and gather himself and his responsibilities always helped.

I've always wondered, and kicked myself for not pushing the issue when I was involved with sports.... WHY is the QB position different? You don't see it in other sports, P. Roy is an all time great goalie, but in games where he was really off they benched his butt and went with the back up.... Nobody ever batted an eye when I pulled our starting ILB during a game for making a couple of dumb moves, but the QB never got pulled no matter how much he was struggling.... One of the reasons I liked Spurrier so much was that he went against the grain for most coaches, and would pull even a very successful QB if he was starting to have problems.

Does anyone truly believe that Nix is such a piss poor competitor that if he is pulled for a series he'll give up and quit trying? Or that he is such a head case that being pulled for a series to be talked to and coached up will damage his abilities?

This isn't really a "GusMan do Bad" thread, as I see it from many many coaches at all levels of football, I just struggle to understand why any other player at any other position can struggle and make mistakes and is pulled in order to get them in line, but a QB is treated differently.

... Anyways, I dunno really why QBs are treated so differently... maybe there is solid logic behind it. I'd love to hear it.

12 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Nix struggled vs Florida, I could point out the multiple times... but it seems pointless, most of you here watched the game and know what I'm talking about.

Now, I'm at a disadvantage, as all my time playing and coaching has been for defense (ILBs to be precise). And I never had a problem with being pulled or pulling a player if they were struggling. It almost always helped.

People on the outside see it as just a punishment, but to the player or coaches involved it is a way to settle down or re-focus a player. Someone who has been rattled, lost focus, or simply has too much adrenaline going and is shooting the gaps on his first read... Letting that person sit back for a minute and gather himself and his responsibilities always helped.

I've always wondered, and kicked myself for not pushing the issue when I was involved with sports.... WHY is the QB position different? You don't see it in other sports, P. Roy is an all time great goalie, but in games where he was really off they benched his butt and went with the back up.... Nobody ever batted an eye when I pulled our starting ILB during a game for making a couple of dumb moves, but the QB never got pulled no matter how much he was struggling.... One of the reasons I liked Spurrier so much was that he went against the grain for most coaches, and would pull even a very successful QB if he was starting to have problems.

Does anyone truly believe that Nix is such a piss poor competitor that if he is pulled for a series he'll give up and quit trying? Or that he is such a head case that being pulled for a series to be talked to and coached up will damage his abilities?

This isn't really a "GusMan do Bad" thread, as I see it from many many coaches at all levels of football, I just struggle to understand why any other player at any other position can struggle and make mistakes and is pulled in order to get them in line, but a QB is treated differently.

... Anyways, I dunno really why QBs are treated so differently... maybe there is solid logic behind it. I'd love to hear it.

Thank you, mentioned this earlier........I mean offensive lineman get pulled for false starts........and I agree I am all for solid logic.........cause this sh**s been on my mind all day.

I think part of what makes Spurrier so idolized, and emulated in this regard by certain people like Mullen, is that he didnt allow that position to be different. there was an Auburn podcast episode last week that spoke on it, but he treated those guys like Gus treats WRs or RBs or whoever else. I think as long as you communicate that it's how things work, QBs should be mentally able to handle that, but I think part of today's sport culture features coaches acquiescing to that presumed expectation that your 4-5 star QB is a lead vocalist and everyone else is playing the back.

The one problem with our situation is that I dont think Gus has a good feel on when to pull QBs. He pulled Jeremy after one bad pick that was later followed with a PR TD and WHEN MOMENTUM HAD CHANGED, subbed hurt Sean White in. Him subbing JF3 out for Sean White might've been for the best against Vandy (I didnt watch the game) but not subbing SW out for Jeremy vs UGA cost us the offs. Probably more than a few listless days where Stidham didnt even seem like he was trying in 2018 and the pass rush was just too big for a statue QB....but no Malik Willis packages. I just dont think the guy knows how to effectively sub in the backup, plus..and this is obvious at multiple positions, he's loyal to a fault. Its probably what helps him get some recruits but it also has doomed us with several players

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Always appreciated the way Spurrier would pull an underperforming QB in a heartbeat —  he’d always have 4 QBs suited up.  A HC or OC should be able to tell when his players aren’t performing and sub accordingly.  Big time fail for Gus & Dilly.  I was reminded of another.high profile game where the starting QB was pulled because he was overwhelmed:  2001 AU -UF game in Jordan-Hare. Jason Campbell was pulled for Daniel Cobb.  Cobb came in and had a career game that night which ended in victory.  Not saying Gatewood would have had a career game in the Swamp, but damn if there was ever a game to bring in the backup QB for a change of pace, then last Saturday was it.  

5 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Bo should have been pulled for the reasons you stated in your post and I don't think he would take it poorly or quit trying. He needed to get refocused. The QB position shouldn't be different in that regard. Also you see RB's ask to be replaced when they are tired or hurting which is perfectly fine because they don't think they can give maximum effort and need a few plays off. I can't imagine what would happen if the QB did this for other reasons. What's he going to say?  "Coach, I'm unable to play at the level I need to play at so let me sit a series? " Would fans look at him as a quitter? I don't know what Gus is thinking but to me he sent a message loud and clear to Joey. He's the one people including Gus better hope doesn't quit trying. 

Ill give you the simple reason. Gus is a guy who fears change during a game. You can see it in his lack of adjustments made during the game and in lack of substituting players for under performing ones or injured ones. The man does not like to change the script. Plain and simple. 

i have wondered about joey not playing. what if he told the staff he was leaving so they could not play him without him losing a year of playing time. now this is just a thought because i remember  joey saying he was not going anywhere.also joey loving auburn as much as he does. but if it were true it would make sense and i bet gus would never have put cord in. anyway it is probably not true but while we are looking at reasons i just thought this should be brought up.

Archived